The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best?

+7
summerblues
The Special Juan
LuvSports!
laverfan
hawkeye
HM Murdock
temporary21
11 posters

Go down

Which One Is The Best?

Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Vote_lcap50%Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]
Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Vote_lcap0%Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Vote_lcap50%Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 12

Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Empty Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best?

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 7:52 pm

Golf had it's Big 3. Player/Nicklaus/Palmer. All 3 players at different stages of their careers. This got me thinking. Tennis has had 3 Holy Trinities. In the mid 70s to early 80s we had Borg/Connors/McEnroe then in the mid late 80s early 90s we had Becker/Lendl/Edberg and then in the mid 00s to the current we have Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. So my question is to you the posters what do you think is the best?

Borg/Connors/McEnroe. In total they played each other 71 times.

Becker/Lendl/Edberg. In total they played each other 84 times.

Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. In total they have played each other 111 times and still counting!

So please post some of your favourite moments from these rivalries.

So who for you clinches it?

Last edited by legendkillarV2 on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best? Empty Re: Holy Trinity - Which Is The Best?

Post by temporary21 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 8:22 pm

Have to with the one I know

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:13 pm

Great question. And a tough one to answer. All three trios were/are great.

All three also contain very distinctive and different characters.

I'd possibly place Lendl/Becker/Eberg third because the overall accomplishment of that group is lesser.

Borg/Connors/McEnroe are true legends of the game, and I like the fact there was a bit of 'needle' in that trio. I'm really tempted to vote for that group.

But I'm going to have to vote for Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. They've produced so many fantastic matches. The accomplishments of Federer and Nadal are astonishing and I think the emergence of Djokovic as a great in his right, just about tips the balance toward this group as the best trio.

Not much in it though.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:13 pm

https://youtu.be/RyS7k3VSrEc

Borg vs Connors US Open 1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm

Connors vs McEnroe 1980 US Open

https://youtu.be/OcDF08fg21A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:28 pm

The age gaps

Connors was the oldest in his trinity. Borg was 4 years his junior and McEnroe was 7 years younger than Connors.

Lendl was the oldest in his trinity. Edberg was 6 years younger than Lendl with Becker a year younger than Edberg.

Federer is the oldest of his trinity. Nadal is 5 years younger with Djokovic a year younger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

Ages when they won their first Slam

Connors 21
Borg 18
McEnroe 20

Lendl 24
Becker 17
Edberg 19

Federer 21
Nadal 18
Djokovic 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm

For me Becker/Edberg was the most compelling rivalry I had seen. Yet I agree with Murdoch about their trinity with Lendl is the weakest of the 3.

All stats really point to Federer/Nadal/Djokovic being the better. They have had some right battles too.

For sentimental reasons I shall go for Connors/Borg/McEnroe. I am romantic like that Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm

Twos company threes a crowd. The rivalries that will be remembered are Borg/McEnroe and Federer/Nadal. Not just because of the tennis but because of their back stories.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:14 pm

Borg v McEnroe W 1980. (not going back to Laver v Rosewall though).

Borg (Nadal), Shades of McEnroe and now Connors (Federer and Djokovic . Djokovic more like Connors, but longevity is unknown).

Do not know how fit Murray in this three-way though.

But someone should consider Laver, Rosewall and Emerson at some point as a three-way as well.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:18 pm

hawkeye wrote:Twos company threes a crowd. The rivalries that will be remembered are Borg/McEnroe and Federer/Nadal. Not just because of the tennis but because of their back stories.

Please elaborate on these "back stories" chin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:20 pm

laverfan wrote:Borg v McEnroe W 1980. (not going back to Laver v Rosewall though).

Borg (Nadal), Shades of McEnroe and now Connors (Federer and Djokovic . Djokovic more like Connors, but longevity is unknown).

Do not know how fit Murray in this three-way though.

But someone should consider Laver, Rosewall and Emerson at some point as a three-way as well.

Glad you were able to throw another trinity into this OK

I think given Murray's lack of success against these 3 in the Slams. Twice against Djokovic, twice against Nadal and once against Federer. I felt he needed more Slams to his name to be in this elite group.

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm

Sorry to ask the question but if we compared the media's famed "big four" for these respective era's would people still have the same stance?

Maybe add Vilas (4 slams) to the first trio, Wilander (7) to the 2nd group and Murray (2) to the final one.
Thoughts?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 12:02 am

LuvSports! wrote:Sorry to ask the question but if we compared the media's famed "big four" for these respective era's would people still have the same stance?

Maybe add Vilas (4 slams) to the first trio, Wilander (7) to the 2nd group and Murray (2) to the final one.
Thoughts?

Borotra, Brugnon, Cochet, Lecoste mo1

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Musketeers_(tennis))
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 12:44 am

The Special Juan wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:Sorry to ask the question but if we compared the media's famed "big four" for these respective era's would people still have the same stance?

Thoughts?

Borotra, Brugnon, Cochet, Lecoste mo1

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Musketeers_(tennis))

And how the French orchestrated the beating of Big Bill Tilden at DC.

Spanish foursome of Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco, Lopez.

The Australian Laver, Rosewall, Newcombe, Mal Anderson.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:07 am

I go with Borg/Connors/McEnroe, probably because of my age - that is when I first started following tennis and that is where most of my fondest tennis memories lie.

Also, I think the differences between their games and personalities were bigger than between Federer, Rafa and Nole (although I can see why people may find that trio more compelling), making it more entertaining for me.

Lendl/Edberg/Becker comes in a distant third.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:40 am

I go with Borg/Connors/Mac because the players involved had big personalties and star power and also there was some real bad blood mainly between Connors and the other two. It was when I first started watching tennis so there is that emotional attachment. Plus the game wasn't as anesthetized and corporatized. We had more emotion partly due to a lack of technology for replay. Fighting with the umpire was commonplace for Mac and Connors and in their defense the line calls really did scuk back then as the officiating was often done by volunteer linesmen and lacked any proffessionalism or training.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:32 am

My guess is if you ask members of the general public to name top tennis rivalries they will say Federer/Nadal, Borg/McEnroe and then maybe Navratalova/Evert in that order. In tennis a rivalry has to be between 2 players because tennis is played between two players. Nadal/Djokovic and Federer/Djokovic have played some great matches and Djokovic is a great player but there isn't room for three.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:37 am

hawkeye wrote:My guess is if you ask members of the general public to name top tennis rivalries they will say Federer/Nadal, Borg/McEnroe and then maybe Navratalova/Evert in that order. In tennis a rivalry has to be between 2 players because tennis is played between two players. Nadal/Djokovic and Federer/Djokovic have played some great matches and Djokovic is a great player but there isn't room for three.

Connors was arguably a bigger rival of both Mac's and Borg's. They disliked him more. And he is more accomplished than Mcenroe spent more time as #1, won more tournaments, more weeks at #1 by a long stretch. And in terms of consistency and overall career he probably is equal to or better than the other two. I can see you excluding Djoko from Fedal, although I find that argument a bit weak as well since Djokovic has played both Federer and Nadal more than those two have played each other. And he has run both of them very close although Fed's age the last few years has helped him close down his numbers with Federer. There is nothing excluding great players from a rivalry because there can only be two in your estimation. Then Lendl and Mac can't be rivals, or Becker and Lendl, there can be more than one great rivalry in a tennis period HE.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:48 am

hawkeye wrote:My guess is if you ask members of the general public to name top tennis rivalries they will say Federer/Nadal, Borg/McEnroe and then maybe Navratalova/Evert in that order. In tennis a rivalry has to be between 2 players because tennis is played between two players. Nadal/Djokovic and Federer/Djokovic have played some great matches and Djokovic is a great player but there isn't room for three.

I don't buy that at all. As many have said, the Fedal hasn't been much of a rivalry for the last few years! Nadals greatest rival without a doubt has been Djokovic and for me he has earned that right to be remembered with Nadal and Federer. Same with Borg and McEnroe and I totally agree with socal on Connors and that he brought an extra dynamic to the threesome. Gave it an edge.

Fedal doesn't work without Djokovic like Borgenroe doesn't work without Connors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 08 Nov 2014, 2:08 pm

Becker/Edberg/Lendl is a little below the others which are on par.

However...I was born in 1980 so I didn't see any of the first lot and the second lot I was still quite young so just half watching the occassional Wimbledon final which I don't remember, 1992 is the first year I actually have memories of matches. Mcenroe lost to Agassi in 1992 Wimbledon semi final, that is the only match I can remember him playing in singles.

Laver and Rosewall might have been the greatest duo ever if you look at their achievements. However I am not sure Rosewall is anywhere near so I am not sure it was much of a trinity.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

I am trying to find clips of Borg/Connors/McEnroe as YouTube is very limited and Daily Motion isn't one for tennis.

Hopefully LF could shed some light on the Aussie Brigade Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 3:44 pm

https://youtu.be/2YjomkT5E4A

Connors vs McEnroe Wimbledon 1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 3:48 pm

https://youtu.be/cZKxKWfzUic

Borg vs McEnroe US Open 1980. Could've been the turning point for McEnroe to triumph at Wimbledon the following year.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:https://youtu.be/2YjomkT5E4A

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon/8106183.stm

Mac's BH at 2:48 is possibly the best shot I've ever seen

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:37 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:https://youtu.be/2YjomkT5E4A

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon/8106183.stm

Mac's BH at 2:48 is possibly the best shot I've ever seen

Strangely someone said the same thing comment section on the YouTube link Headscratch was that you? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

No Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:55 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Mac's BH at 2:48 is possibly the best shot I've ever seen
Stunning shot.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:10 pm

https://youtu.be/koE_e_LX4c0

This guy needs an award named after him Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:23 am

The thing about Connors, Mac, and Borg was that you have to consider how many more slams those guys would have won if they competed regularly in Australia as back then the AO simply was not that valuable a prize. Mac and Borg in particular would have had to win a couple each on the grass courts of that Era. Today's guys are very close in terms of appeal the problem is that they don't have the same flair and personality of the earlier guys. The rivalries aren't as bitter, the battles no as emotional. Anyone who wants to see tennis warfare should watch the connors v. mac USO final of 1983, still the first match that I have a really clear memory of although I did watch some of the borg v. Mac 1980 final when I was very young

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:11 am

Borg v Mac was as chalk and cheese as they come. Chuck Connors into the pot and you really did have an unholy trinity. Some great matches.
The Becker-Edberg duels were good but there was something rather cold and robotic about Lendl that meant the public didn't take to him as much as some of the other great players.
I have to go with the present big three as they have served up some classics at a time when the tour is as competitive, as grinding and as tiring as ever. The other two big three didn't, I think, have quite such a job on their hands dealing with the other players as this lot does at a time when just the slightest off day will see you dumped out of the tournament.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down