The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back

+11
socal1976
Jahu
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
Haddie-nuff
hawkeye
laverfan
It Must Be Love
kingraf
Jeremy_Kyle
temporary21
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back Empty Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back

Post by temporary21 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

A little bit of a rerun of an old thread but a big piece of news.
Nadal has confirmed that he is receiving stem cell treatment on his back. The treatment is being used on a specific joint in his back apparently quite commonly associated with tennis injuries. Its a treatment thats been used by a lot of NFL players previously and it means he will start his off season training early ish December. Its quite a drastic method to try and cure a back ailment, as a result I wonder how long he might take to hit his stride, if of course he does. Im sure we all wish him a good recovery, but any thoughts of the impact of this?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back Empty Re: Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

temporary21 wrote:A little bit of a rerun of an old thread but a big piece of news.
Nadal has confirmed that he is receiving stem cell treatment on his back. The treatment is being used on a specific joint in his back apparently quite commonly associated with tennis injuries. Its a treatment thats been used by a lot of NFL players

Is this treatment legal in the US? (genuine question)
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back Empty Re: Nadal Receiving Stem Cell Treatment On His Back

Post by kingraf Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:50 pm

To the best of my knowledge. Stem cell therapy itself is legal in the states. The controversy is over using embryonic stem cells
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:51 pm

Are Moet funding it? chin

(geunine question)

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:56 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
temporary21 wrote:A little bit of a rerun of an old thread but a big piece of news.
Nadal has confirmed that he is receiving stem cell treatment on his back. The treatment is being used on a specific joint in his back apparently quite commonly associated with tennis injuries. Its a treatment thats been used by a lot of NFL players

Truth be told Im not sure. Most the NFL players apparently had it done in Europe, which may suggest its a grey area in the States, but far as I know Wada has no direct issue with it.

Thoguh see kingrafs statement too. The grey area might be where the cells come from.

Last edited by temporary21 on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:56 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Are Moet funding it? chin

(geunine question)
shhhhhhh... Whistle Whistle

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:

Yes, as the back stem cell treatment is with iPS stem cells.

Embryonic stem cells on the under hand was not used by US government to research during the Bush administration due to protests by the Christian right of the country. They believed that embryonic stem cells had souls, and thought therefore it was unethical to use these stem cells for scientific research.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:02 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:

Embryonic stem cells on the under hand was not used by US government to research during the Bush administration due to protests by the Christian right of the country. They believed that embryonic stem cells had souls, and thought therefore it was unethical to use these stem cells for scientific research.

There is currently embryonic SC research in progress. Please see http://stemcells.nih.gov/Pages/Default.aspx and http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-09-085.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:04 pm

laverfan wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:

There is currently embryonic SC research in progress. Please see http://stemcells.nih.gov/Pages/Default.aspx
I said during the Bush administration.

Under Obama the programme has started again.

But to clear up, those of you who are Christian and are concerned about the use of embryonic stem cell research, Nadal is not using that- back treatment is done with iPS treatment.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

But to clear up, those of you who are Christian and are concerned about the use of embryonic stem cell research, Nadal is not using that- back treatment is done with iPS treatment.

IMBL... may I suggest that you keep specific religion(s) out of such a discussion? You are adding very emotional stakes to the charged atmosphere. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

laverfan wrote:

IMBL... may I suggest that you keep specific religion(s) out of such a discussion? You are adding very emotional stakes to the charged atmosphere. rose
Emotional stakes ?

Why so- there are some people who are concerned about the use of embryonic stem cells- and it's within their right to do so. However what hasn't been too controversial as far as I'm aware with any religion is iPS stem cells.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

Let us keep the debate in a scientific realm, and leave religion out of it, please. There is a clear separation of Church and State in the US Constitution.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

Absolutely lol, I did not want to start a debate on religion ! Just was mentioning that was a factor for the discussion on embryonic stem cell research rose

I do think btw, that controversies aside, iPS stem cells will be one of the big breakthroughs in the next few decades.

My great uncle is considering it for his eye treatment:
http://www.eurostemcell.org/factsheet/eye-and-stem-cells-path-treating-blindness

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

Did Murray have similar treatment on his back? His treatment was all kept very hush, hush. Of course just like Nadal's treatment it would have been legal. Presumably players don't have to give public statements about the sort of treatment they are having.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:41 pm

No Hawkeye, Murray had back surgery, which Nadal isn't having.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

HE... are you 'speculating'?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:49 pm

^ I believe it was described as a small surgical procedure. There was lots of discussion about what it was but no details ever surfaced.  

Federer has also had problems with his back. Did he give out a statement with details of his treatment? Of course he didn't have to say anything if he didn't want to. But his back has been good this year.

laverfan. Yes I am speculating Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:57 pm

Well I for one wish Rafa the very best of luck.. I am sure it is a similar treatment to that he had on his knees... using his own cells .. however not knowing much about this kind of medical procedure Im not prepared to comment, other than
1. I dont think he would consent to anything illegal,
2. If he did, he wouldn't be foolish enough to make it common knowledge chin

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

Yes H-N, it is reportedly similar to that which he had on his knees, although I'm not aware of any official word/report on the specifics of which type of stem cells are being used. (Similar being a bit vague)
It is being done it Barcelona according to Associate Press - http://hosted2.ap.org/ORBEN/a83f53f64d8747e1ba7ef3607401e6a5/Article_2014-11-10-TEN--Nadal-Stem%20Cells/id-943fb15542764d749521679a0fa75042#.VGJHF9BFDIU

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:31 pm

Another reason to forget any comparison between Rafa and stars of yesteryear: he's already received many treatments denied to his predecessors without which he'd have long retired, this just adds to it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

We don't know if this stem cells treatment could work, there's no certainty over this.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

I dont remember so very many injuries to the stars of yesteryear. However I am sure that they would have taken advantage of such procedures that Nadal and others have had,  had they been available at that time. So no comparison can be drawn from that imo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I dont remember so very many injuries to the stars of yesteryear. However I am sure that they would have taken advantage of such procedures that Nadal and others have had,  had they been available at that time. So no comparison can be drawn from that imo
Which they weren't.

Your point being?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:42 pm

Most of the time the stars of yesteryear played on soft forgiving grass. Also we don't know exactly what sort of treatment other players have had. I hope Rafa recovers as well from his back problems as Roger did Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

Yip, old school players had to visit the barber and receive bloodletting when they were injured. Silly argument
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:45 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:I dont remember so very many injuries to the stars of yesteryear. However I am sure that they would have taken advantage of such procedures that Nadal and others have had,  had they been available at that time. So no comparison can be drawn from that imo
Which they weren't.

Your point being?

I think Ive made it ..you just don't see it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

bogbrush wrote:Another reason to forget any comparison between Rafa and stars of yesteryear: he's already received many treatments denied to his predecessors without which he'd have long retired, this just adds to it.

Your not suggesting that only Rafa benefits from today's "treatments" I presume.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

He's the only one I know got blood platelet stuff in his knees, now stem cell treatment. I have no idea that nobody else has this year, but on the other hand I have no knowledge any of them definitely have (like I do with Rafa) so I tell you what, I'll go with what I know. That ok with everyone? I know that gets in the way of unsubstantiated speculation but I'm just old fashioned that way.

Oh, and I wasn't even talking about other contemporary players, I was talking about predecessors who didn't have access to this stuff. Sure, they had access to aspirin but so does Rafa.

Like I say, no comparison.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm

As I am wishing to be educated in this type of thing.. medical stuff escapes me you understand Erm Did they have micro surgery in those days?? isn't that what Andy had on his back? Help someone

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Oh, and I wasn't even talking about other contemporary players, I was talking about predecessors who didn't have access to this stuff. Sure, they had access to aspirin but so does Rafa.
Of course, I don't think anyone was suggesting that stem cells were available in the past; infact it's quite a new treatment.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:03 pm

This will happen of course, on the one hand the game becomes more physical and greater strain is put on bodies; but then also athletes will train harder and have stricter diets while science and treatments improve- nothing wrong with that.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:07 pm

I rate we stop comparing Sampras as well as he had a rare genetic disorder which could be better managed with the available medication. Then we stop comparing Mac, as he was on horse steroids for six years, which stars of his yesteryear were never on. It almost seems as if athletes use the best available technology to improve their games... Don't think that's a possibility do you? Or do you draw the line at Nadal.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:11 pm

Nadal's team must be feeling positive about the treatment. Have just read some quotes from Toni saying the goal for next year is to qualify for the WTF and win slams. He says they don't mind which ones Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:13 pm

Theres many a reason you cant reliably compare players 20 years apart, medical advances would constitute one of them, but one of the more minor points.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:26 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:As I am wishing to be educated in this type of thing.. medical stuff escapes me you understand Erm Did they have micro surgery in those days?? isn't that what Andy had on his back?  Help someone
Really not sure what Andy Murray has to do with stem cell treatment and blood platelet therapy.

I feel Rafa is like the F1 of the ATP; both game technology and medical science are pushed to the limits to produce the result. It's quite inspiring really.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

Oh well thanks I was asking for help as you see.. Im still trying to find out where aspirin fits in... but heh!!
Not bothered really

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:37 pm

I think most of his rivals also have access to the same racket and game technology; and probably get the best medical care they can when they need it.

It is true though that racket technology has got more powerful than previously, and medical science is getting better too; and that's a good thing I say.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:47 pm

I recall Connors constantly being on pain-killers (Cortisone) for almost a year.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:51 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I think most of his rivals also have access to the same racket and game technology; and probably get the best medical care they can when they need it.

It is true though that racket technology has got more powerful than previously, and medical science is getting better too; and that's a good thing I say.

You dont have to be an athlete to want to take advantage of medical science.. there are many who have been grateful of it and want to see the best for others; each generation receiving better treatment than the last and so it will go on thank goodness.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:53 pm

laverfan wrote:

I recall Connors constantly being on pain-killers (Cortisone) for almost a year.

Not surprised really given the physicality of his game... if he had had the opportunity to take advantage of the treatment that Nadal is having.. he would have taken it Im sure.. and who would have blamed him. No one given their right mind would suffer a life of pain when you dont have to.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:I think most of his rivals also have access to the same racket and game technology; and probably get the best medical care they can when they need it.

You dont have to be an athlete to want to take advantage of medical science.. there are many who have been grateful of it and want to see the best for others; each generation receiving better treatment than the last and so it will go on thank goodness.
Yes of course, fully agree, there more medical science advances the better.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

LF, Cortisone is steoride hormone, not the Advil stuff Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:06 pm

I now know who Nadal's idol was.....

https://youtu.be/HoLs0V8T5AA

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

emancipator, your (now removed) post would be much better on the GOAT thread - feel free to re-post it there (I haven't found a way to move posts from one thread to an existing thread).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm

Copy/Paste text, then ask the user for password, then login, post under his name? zen
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:13 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:emancipator, your (now removed) post would be much better on the GOAT thread - feel free to re-post it there (I haven't found a way to move posts from one thread to an existing thread).

And you've been a mod how long?? tomato

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

JHM, give us your pass. We will find the option for you Whistle
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

Alas, 'tis the way of this world: the righteous are persecuted whilst the mischief makers are given free reign Sad

BOOOOOO000000ooooooo........

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

Maybe Roger will send Rafa a bottle of Moët as a get well present Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:emancipator, your (now removed) post would be much better on the GOAT thread - feel free to re-post it there (I haven't found a way to move posts from one thread to an existing thread).

And you've been a mod how long?? tomato

I don't think it's possible - you can merge a full thread or split to create a new thread, but not take one post from a thread and put it into another existing thread.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next