The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+16
freemo
LondonTiger
thegooch7
Voice of the Beehive
JDizzle
Carrotdude
kingdaveeagle
SimonofSurrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurryfan
king_carlos
Shelsey93
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
jimbobgooner
20 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 4 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by guildfordbat Sun 13 Apr - 16:49

First topic message reminder :

Smith was back in this country today - and at Anfield to watch Liverpool beat Man City! That's nice for him. Now, I'm not suggesting he should spend his days off picking up litter in the Lock Stand at the Oval but it is important he starts to deliver for the club paying handsomely for his services.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 20 Jan - 18:59

Cheers for the lowdown Guildford, Foakes was meant to be the next big thing at one point, does he still hold that sort of reputation?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 20 Jan - 19:30

Might be a bit late to this news, but surprised Winslade has been released. Although Surrey do have a surplus of seamers I guess, with Tremlett, Dernbach, Dunn, Curran and Meaker. Probably missed a few too. Even more surprised that no-one had picked Winslade up (or that's my impression from a quick Google), looked promising for the U19s.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 21 Jan - 17:16

JDizzle wrote:Might be a bit late to this news, but surprised Winslade has been released. Although Surrey do have a surplus of seamers I guess, with Tremlett, Dernbach, Dunn, Curran and Meaker. Probably missed a few too. Even more surprised that no-one had picked Winslade up (or that's my impression from a quick Google), looked promising for the U19s.

Hi JD - to that list of seamers, you can add Linley and new signing Balcombe. A couple of young all-rounders also bowl seam up, Kapil and new lad Burke. Then there's Sam Curran (younger brother of Tom) - only aged about 16 but highly thought of and expected to be coming up on the rails before long.

With that amount of competition and nearly all of it above Winslade in the pecking order plus the feeling that he didn't really kick on in 2014, it may be rather harsh but probably not too surprising that he's been released. I do agree with you though that he did look promising. Recall being impressed when I saw him in a seconds game at Guildford in 2013.

Possibly relevant that Jewell was also released having been on the fringes of the first team squad for 5 or 6 years; I would guess that the Club were keen to avoid that situation being repeated (which was not helpful to anyone and especially the player).

As regards Winslade being picked up by another county, I feel that players released by Division Two sides (as Surrey are) can be at a disadvantage, having a limited market to aim at. What I'm getting at is that there's often a reluctance for a Division One side to even look at young players released by a county who are from the league below them and, at least on paper, not so good.

I believe Winslade is currently playing in Australia. I know Surrey got him an offer to join the MCC Young Cricketers Scheme for this English season but don't know whether he's taken it up; it did seem a bit of a sop.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 21 Jan - 19:55

Olly wrote:Cheers for the lowdown Guildford, Foakes was meant to be the next big thing at one point, does he still hold that sort of reputation?

Hi Olly - due to other sensitivities, I think Surrey want to keep things low key about Foakes but I'm sure they rate him highly. Frankly, we wouldn't have signed him otherwise; particularly as - *Stolen Joke Spoiler* - we have more keepers than London Zoo! In addition to Foakes - Wilson, Burns, Davies and now Sanga.

Alec Stewart was giving nothing away on this subject at the members' forum at Guildford last night. Someone asked if, ''Foakes would be wicket-keeper''. Stewie replied, ''Yes, sir, Ben Foakes is a wicket-keeper, and a batsman.'' Wink Stewie did go on to make some positive comments about Foakes but not so far as to confirm he would be in the starting eleven (for what little it's worth, I'm near certain he will be).

The sensitivities I've referred to mainly relate imo to Wilson. Despite making a decent fist of things in difficult circumstances last year, Wilson now has question marks over his captaincy, keeping and place in the side. Also, Stewie is completely unwilling (publicly at least) to rule out a return behind the stumps for Davies.

Other (funny) things from the forum -

* Planned to develop the Guildford ground and pavilion at the end of the 2016 season for increased use the following year by Surrey when much international cricket is scheduled to be played at the Oval.

* Sanga ''should be available 60 per cent of this coming season, maybe a bit more''. Matters should be finalised and announced by the end of February. Other than IPL, Sanga should be with us for all of the 2016 season.

* Stewie repeated his jokey comment from last month at the Oval that ''yes, we will have a captain'' but wasn't saying who. Imo, that guarantees it's not Wilson - no reason to delay an announcement if he was carrying on.

* Roy has had tentative approaches to play IPL but won't be signing up and will be with Surrey the whole season. Agreed by Surrey and Roy that he needs to further develop his 4 day game and ''not be pigeon holed a limited overs player'' - his Surrey contract now rules him out of playing IPL.

* If Pietersen is to have any role with Surrey, he needs to firstly approach the Club and confirm his availability and expectations. Only then can matters be considered. As usual, Stewart brought some humour into this but it was clear that patience was running thin. Stewie added that, ''If Pietersen phones, I expect he'll reverse the charges!''. Smile

Dave Balcombe was alongside Stewie. Although 'Balcs' (as he was referred to) didn't get the chance to speak that much, he came across well when he did.

The event was very well attended (not afraid to get their hands dirty, Stewie and Balcs carried in extra chairs at the start) and was certainly viewed as successful. As last night's compere Richard Gould (Surrey CEO) said, ''Good to get out on the road''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 22 Jan - 10:14

Brilliant report again Guildford - thanks a lot for that

Waters are still muddied, although I don't think who is the captain is that big an issue for me! I thought Norah did a good job, and if worth his place in the team, should have kept it (given we haven't got any other front line 'spinners' I assume his place is assured, as they seem reluctant to let Ansari 'have a chuck'!). I do feel a bit sorry for Harold, as you say, he did do a good job as captain, and keeper, when Davies had his 'strop', but unfortunately, it did affect his form.

With the signing of Sanga (and Roy!) the batting is looking strong, as is the seam bowling dept, although if we play all of them, the tail will start at 4.
Did Stewie mention if Sanga is classed as our 'overseas' signing? Or could we be in the market for a spinner if he's a Kolpak?

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 22 Jan - 13:05

Cheers, Goochie.

Batty was a very fine skipper and can never be thanked enough for what he did for the Club when it looked as if we were going to hell in a handcart in 2012.

Batty was actually injured with a broken finger when Wilson was appointed last year. Also, he (Batty) wasn't selected at the beginning of the season - Surrey thought Ansari was sufficient for the mainly seam friendly wickets at that time. If that same thinking applies, hard to see Batty getting the captaincy.

At the Guildford forum, Stewart again spoke positively about Ansari. Someone commented along the lines that, ''he isn't a leading spinner''. Stewie replied, ''he will be''.

Stewie paid high tribute to Sanga as a player and as a person but didn't comment upon his 'overseas classification' other than to emphasise that his international commitments and accordingly his availability should be confirmed and announced by the end of next month.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 22 Jan - 19:51

Cheers for the update on Winslade Guildford, shame to see things that like that happen to a young player who showed some promise, but a perfectly understandable decision from Surrey's point of view. I knew I would forget some of the many seamers you have (nearly as many as you have keepers!), and think the Edwards point is a good once about how they wouldn't have wanted to keep Winslade about carrying drinks.

Hopefully he gets another team before the start of the season, someone like Leics could do worse than take a punt although I suppose with money scarce, they'd want a proven commodity for their investment. How Van den Bergh burgled a contract in all of this is beyond me too! 'One of the worst cricketers to have a county contract' was a quote I heard about him from someone who'd seen him play an awful lot.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 23 Jan - 14:47

Olly wrote: ... 

Olly does your Ansari prediction cover England first team only, rather than also include Lions?  If so, that is indeed a bold prediction.  Maybe Cook will fall on his sword and Ansari be parachuted in as captain! Wink

First team corporal! #ansariforengland

Ansari has been named in the MCC side to face county champions Yorks in the 2015 season opener being held in Abu Dhabi in March. Dunn also included. Still a long way to go but suggests both are on the international radar. Stewart said at this week's Guildford forum that good reports on the two of them (and also Roy) had been received following their recent spells with the England Emerging Players Programme.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 25 Jan - 15:44

In the first of four one one day games, England Lions beat South Africa A by 4 wickets today. Jason Roy was the top match scorer in a low scoring encounter with 43 off 44.

That can only be good for Roy's standing although Alec Stewart suggested at this week's Guildford forum that he was a little way from being first reserve should England have to call up a replacement for the World Cup squad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 25 Jan - 17:32

guildfordbat wrote:

*  If Pietersen is to have any role with Surrey, he needs to firstly approach the Club and confirm his availability and expectations. Only then can matters be considered. As usual, Stewart brought some humour into this but it was clear that patience was running thin. Stewie added that, ''If Pietersen phones, I expect he'll reverse the charges!''.  Smile
Very Happy

Thanks for the update from the forum Guildford - interesting and informative as ever.  Sounds like the falling out between Surrey and KP has been somewhat more gradual and less dramatic than is often the case with KP.  But I would be fairly surprised to see him back this season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 28 Jan - 16:34

drumroll Roy, Roy will tear you apart!

The Surrey man top scored again with 141 as the England Lions made a massive 376/9 off their 50 overs in the second unofficial ODI against South Africa A. Scored off 110 balls for a strike rate of 128 with 13 fours and 6 sixes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 28 Jan - 16:51

That was Roy's king  top score in list A matches.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 2 Feb - 13:29

67 off 72 balls for Roy king in today's unofficial ODI against South Africa A.

He is actually rather good although I may have said that in the past. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 2 Feb - 17:14

GARETH BATTY HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS THE NEW CAPTAIN OF SURREY COUNTY CRICKET CLUB
happy with that chaps Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 2 Feb - 18:21

guildfordbat wrote:...

Batty was a very fine skipper and can never be thanked enough for what he did for the Club when it looked as if we were going to hell in a handcart in 2012.

Batty was actually injured with a broken finger when Wilson was appointed last year. Also, he (Batty) wasn't selected at the beginning of the season - Surrey thought Ansari was sufficient for the mainly seam friendly wickets at that time. If that same thinking applies, hard to see Batty getting the captaincy.

From my post of 10 days ago to Goochie.

Like JimBob, I'm happy with Batty's appointment. He's a good bloke, cares passionately about the club, understands the club from the programme sellers and tea ladies upwards, has stood in for the role before and done fine in horrendous circumstances. Also, Ansari probably isn't quite ready yet and needs to concentrate on developing his own game whilst Wilson will be away with Ireland some of the time and no longer has a nailed on place in the Surrey side.

All in all, a sensible and realistic appointment although we need to recognise that this may mean the balance of the team is not ideal in the seam friendly opening weeks of the season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 3 Feb - 10:30

Thumbs up from me to. Would be nice if we could get a 'quality' spinner (no offence Norah!) but he's the logical choice. I'm hoping it hasn't upset Harold's apple cart, and hopefully he can get back to some sort of batting form and reclaim his place (as keeper!?) Seems like Foakes is doing well in Aussie grade cricket, haven't a clue about the standard, but 2 quick time centuries bodes well, and with Davies and Sanga certain to be in the starting 11, we'll have more keepers than London Zoo(no-one's done that joke for while eh Guildford!)

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Tue 3 Feb - 10:45

suprised about the news...thought Wilson may have done it... or Sangakarra, that was the rumour..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 3 Feb - 14:16

I'd echo the thoughts of others re Batty as club captain. By no means a perfect appointment given that we are still short of a truly top line spinner - sorry Norah. However he's proven himself to be a solid performer for us and captained the side admirably in horrible circumstances before.

It does allow us to have a better look at the make-up of the CC side for next season though if Norah will be there, presumably at 8.

1.Burns
2.Ansari
3.Sangakarra or Sibley
4.Solanki
5.Davies
6.Roy
7.Foakes or Wilson (wk)
8.Batty
9, 10, 11. 3 of Dunn, Meaker, Curran, Tremlett, Linley, Balcombe and Dernbach

Still several questions that we knew wouldn't be answered until the start of the season, namely:

- Who will keep

- When will Sanga be available

- Who will be first choices from the battalion of seamers

One thing Norah's captaincy may prevent is chances for Aneesh Kapil to stake a claim for the 4th seamers role. I'm afraid I can't really see him batting top 7 so his best shot from my view was in that 8 slot early in the season if we wanted 4 seamers with Ansari as spinner.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 3 Feb - 16:54

Pietersen has announced that he is committed to the whole Caribbean Premier League through June and July.

Surely that ends speculation about him returning for the T20 Blast given they run at very similar times.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 4 Feb - 0:05

I'm also pleased to see Batty given the captaincy.  I imagine that Foakes would start off as wk, so that potentially means Wilson as well as Sibley having to fight for a place.  

Solanki, overall, has done better than I expected and I think is likely to bat at No 4. But if Burns, Ansari and Roy continue to show solid form, it may be that the experience of Solanki might not be quite so crucial as previously and his place might come under pressure from, say Sibley.

As King Carlos says, there's quite a choice to be made for Nos 9 - 11.  I wouldn't like to predict, beyond conjecturing that perhaps the Viscount may not get many first team games in the cc.

I can seek Kapil perhaps featuring more in limited overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 4 Feb - 13:57

king_carlos wrote:Pietersen has announced that he is committed to the whole Caribbean Premier League through June and July.

Surely that ends speculation about him returning for the T20 Blast given they run at very similar times.

I would agree. Stewart said at the members' forum in December that Pietersen playing in the Caribbean last summer ''did not work''. I don't see how it would now or Stewart backtracking on that comment.

As I posted after last year's T20 finals day, I have doubts as to whether Pietersen will ever play cricket again in this country. His decision now only reinforces those doubts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 4 Feb - 14:43

king_carlos wrote: ...

It does allow us to have a better look at the make-up of the CC side for next season though if Norah will be there, presumably at 8.

1.Burns
2.Ansari
3.Sangakarra or Sibley
4.Solanki
5.Davies
6.Roy
7.Foakes or Wilson (wk)
8.Batty
9, 10, 11. 3 of Dunn, Meaker, Curran, Tremlett, Linley, Balcombe and Dernbach

Still several questions that we knew wouldn't be answered until the start of the season, namely:

- Who will keep

- When will Sanga be available

- Who will be first choices from the battalion of seamers

One thing Norah's captaincy may prevent is chances for Aneesh Kapil to stake a claim for the 4th seamers role. I'm afraid I can't really see him batting top 7 so his best shot from my view was in that 8 slot early in the season if we wanted 4 seamers with Ansari as spinner.

I'm not aware of anyone getting rich on my tips but for what little they're worth -

* Foakes to keep. I can understand the Club not shouting that from the rooftops of the Oval as it would only add to Wilson's discomfort at having lost the captaincy. However, why go to the trouble and expense of identifying and signing Foakes if he's not going to play? He's surely more than a squad member.

* Best certain answer I can give is that Stewart said at the Guildford forum last month that Sanga ''should be available for 60% of this season'' and that ''full details should be known by the end of February''. Now for a bit of speculation. I suspect that Sanga won't be available at the start of the season as he'll be playing IPL then. I say this as I've heard (reliably) on the quiet that Sanga will miss the start of the 2016 season due to IPL commitments but will otherwise be available for the whole of that season. My reasoning is that if he's going to be playing IPL in 2016, then he'll be doing the same in 2015.

* Impossible for me to predict the starting seamers from here now. I do agree with the Corporal though that Linley looks the one most likely to miss out most often. I would guess they'll be a fair bit of rotation. No way that Tremlett will stay injury free all season whilst Balcombe doesn't have a perfect fitness record.

I think Carlos' approach to the CC starting eleven at the beginning of the season is most likely. If Sanga's not there and Foakes is keeping and batting further down the order, then the number 3 spot could be a battle between Sibley, Wilson and Harinath. I get the impression that Harinath is mainly viewed as back-up by Stewart and Ford but if he can get runs pre-season, who knows?

One other alternative - admittedly less likely although I believe it's got some merit - is to leave all of those three possibles on the sidelines and to play a fourth seamer from, as Carlos says, the battalion that we have. Thus, everyone from Solanki to Batty in Carlos' side goes up one place in the order. The clear risk here is we won't get enough runs. It also leaves Batty looking a bit of a passenger. However, it considerably increases our chances of getting 20 wickets on pitches which should be favouring seam in the opening weeks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 5 Feb - 18:29

Guildford

An interesting idea with the 4 seamers and one that I like actually. Winning games at the start of the season is so important so emphasis should be on 20 wickets. However if your prediction of Sangakarra being away on IPL duty for the start of the season is also true I'd be very anxious about the batting!

1.Burns
2.Ansari
3.Sibley, Wilson or Roy
4.Solanki
5.Davies
6.Foakes (wk)
7.Batty (c)
8. 9. 10. 11. The chosen 4 of the batallion...

It would leave a very long tail as you'd expect. Without Sanga we'd also have a makeshift 3 to go with it.

I guess the other option with the middle order would be to push Solanki or Davies to 3 with Roy slotting in at 5. Still a bit makeshift for my liking however.

Perhaps we could see Kapil used at 7 as a 4th seamer who bolsters the batting a bit more?

Whatever happens I want to see us being pro-active and picking a side to win games early in the season. A bit of form is so helpful in CC cricket as it suddenly means that traveling to the Oval could be imposing for other sides which allows us to build some momentum and points. Go the other way however and suddenly teams will be looking to come away from our home games with at least a draw and some batting points, if not more.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 5 Feb - 18:53

Cheers, Carlos.

Yes, I too would be anxious about the batting without Sanga. That's really why I'm floating the idea more than pushing it.

I always hoped Jewell would make the grade. If he had, he would have been worth considering here. Maybe now Kapil in line with your comments.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 5 Feb - 19:12

I'd have hoped that Jewell could make the grade fulfilling the role which Kapil is in line to play this season.

I'd also liked to have seen Edwards develop into the squad member and first change championship bowler that Balcombe will likely be this season.

Ah well all in the past now. Unless/until it happens with another youngster!

Are there any rumours going round about a second overseas player for T20?

Also are Azhar and O'Brien around this season for limited overs stuff?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 5 Feb - 20:19

I can't see us going into a championship match with Batty at No 7.  Not sure who would be no 3 in Sanga's absence - but I think Roy king would be a certainty for a place somewhere in the starting line, unless injured or he has major loss of form.  If someone has to give way it could be Solanki or Davies depending on form.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 6 Feb - 9:23

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

I can't see us going into a championship match with Batty at No 7 ..

Hi Corporal - I certainly have reservations as already posted but we have done it a bit before. In our 2011 promotion season we sometimes played Batty and four seamers with him at No 7 and the likes of Jordan or Arafat at No 8.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 6 Feb - 9:54

king_carlos wrote: ...

Are there any rumours going round about a second overseas player for T20?

Also are Azhar and O'Brien around this season for limited overs stuff?

Hi Carlos - nothing very much heard here. Don't believe we'll sign Robin Peterson again - did hear a whisper that his signing last season was at short notice and partly due to Ansari (after he crashed into a boundary fence) being thought to be more injured than he was! Rolling Eyes

Suspect we'll again go for and get Azhar. Both Surrey and the player seem happy with the arrangement.

O'Brien was disappointing in 2014. We'll probably only try to sign him for another season if he's still available and there's no one better around.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 6 Feb - 10:52

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

I can't see us going into a championship match with Batty at No 7 ..

Hi Corporal - I certainly have reservations as already posted but we have done it a bit before. In our 2011 promotion season we sometimes played Batty and four seamers with him at No 7 and the likes of Jordan or Arafat at No 8.

From point of view of batting I think it could work to have Kapil at No 7 and Batty at No 8.  But that only makes sense if Kapil's bowling is worthwhile at cc level.  Not sure that is likely to be the case, though I recall he was unable to bowl for a long period last season due to injury.

Difficult to envisage Meaker or Tremlett as No 8.  Clearly Curran has made great progress as a bowler.  It may be too much to hope that his batting may also progress to the extent of becoming a viable No 8.  It would be great if that were to happen....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 9 Feb - 17:29

I was having a slow day earlier and decided to have a look back on the sides from the start of last year. It dawned on me that there will likely be far less change from one season to the next than we have been used to recently going into next year.

Take the XI from our first CC game vs Glamorgan - a 10 wicket loss, in which we were 81 all out but I try not to think about that part!

1.Burns
2.Smith (c)
3.Sibley
4.Ansari
5.Davies (wk)
6.Wilson
7.Roy
8.Curran
9.Meaker
10.Linley
11.Tremlett

Of that side only Smith is gone with all of them either near enough assured or competing for a starting place for our corresponding fixture this season.

Davies has since seemed to have given up the gloves permanently, which is a negative.

Other than that however I'm pretty pleased with where the squad is heading into this season. The balance of the side is yet to be found I feel, especially for different parts of the season and differing conditions. Plus we are still short of a top end spinner - apologies to Norah as always!

Other than that however:

- We have an established opening partnership of two young academy developed players who have both given very solid and increasingly consistent performances at the top. Plus Sibley to challenge them in time.

- A strong crop of middle order batsmen in Sanga, Davies, Solanki, Roy, Wilson and Foakes. We could do with another name in there given Sanga wont be around all season. However I'd still say the batting is looking much stronger than it was this time last year.

- A strong and large batch of seamers to chose from including some excellent young players in Meaker, Curran and Dunn. Accompanied by some experienced heads in Tremlett, the Viscount, Balcombe and Dernbach.

Hopefully we see this bit of consistency in the squad and selection lead to some stronger early season performances and momentum being carried through the season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 9 Feb - 19:21

Carlos - as well as it being a quiet day at work, were there any pretty girls about? I only ask as you seem in a very upbeat mood! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 9 Feb - 19:58

Chris Woakes took a 5 wicket haul today Guildford. It's a wonderful day for English cricket 

Oh and another day closer to the season starting!

Lets make some bold predictions for the summer: -

Jason Roy scores over 3,000 total runs this summer - making a score of over 250 in the County Championship in one innings. (1,200 county championship, 1,100 in 50/40 over stuff and 700 in T20)

Ben Foakes takes the most catches of any wicket keeper in the country (thinking many good seamers plenty of knicks)

Zafar Ansari continues to have the greatest name in all of sport
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 10 Feb - 9:56

Stop, Stop all this optimism! I'm not used to it!! Come back Depressed Surrey Fan!!
Have to say, the squad does appear to have a bit of depth to it............apart from the obvious lack of a spinner! Do we know if Sanga is classed as our overseas recruit?! Or could we be in the market for the obvious 'hole' in our squad?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 10 Feb - 17:51

guildfordbat wrote:Carlos - as well as it being a quiet day at work, were there any pretty girls about? I only ask as you seem in a very upbeat mood! Wink

Unfortunately not I'm afraid guildford.

Our normal level of supervision was also absent though thankfully. Hence why I spent much of the day doing little in the way of work! Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 10 Feb - 18:03

Olly wrote:Chris Woakes took a 5 wicket haul today Guildford. It's a wonderful day for English cricket 

Oh and another day closer to the season starting!

Lets make some bold predictions for the summer: -

Jason Roy scores over 3,000 total runs this summer - making a score of over 250 in the County Championship in one innings. (1,200 county championship, 1,100 in 50/40 over stuff and 700 in T20)

Ben Foakes takes the most catches of any wicket keeper in the country (thinking many good seamers plenty of knicks)

Zafar Ansari continues to have the greatest name in all of sport

Bold indeed Olly.

I wouldn't put a huge CC score in quick time past Roy that's for sure. Especially if he got on top of a weaker attack on a small ground. Who are playing at Guildford this season...? If he could find the consistency required for 1,000 championship runs I'd be truly delighted however. Especially given he may be batting around 6.

Given the number of seamers we have I'm really hoping we rotate them well to keep them all fully fit as often as possible. Too often last season we saw Tremlett trundling in bowling military medium looking short of fitness. Hold some guys back and rest them as needed so that we keep our seamers raring to go when given the chance. It will also allow us to prevent the risk of over bowling Dunn and Curran so early in their careers.

My bold prediction:

- Burns and Ansari to hit at least 5 century opening partnerships in the season with 10 partnerships over 50. They got 3 century partnerships last year with Burns being involved in a 4th with Graeme Smith. If they could hit over 5 I'd be delighted!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Feb - 22:25

Hi Carlos - just to confirm, Roy scored over 1,000 CC runs in 2014 (1,042 at 52.1 if you want me to be really anoraky). This was a fine achievement and a significant development in his game which was largely overlooked due to his sensational one day form.

The 2015 CC game at Guildford is against Glamorgan in mid June.

I agree that the squad looks useful. In contrast to 2014, what we need more this season is consistency and ruthlessness.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 11 Feb - 19:47

Hi Guildford - Must admit I completely missed that milestone for him. Thanks for pointing it out in such Bearders-esque detail also! Very Happy

Given his FC career average is still a touch under 35 I guess that really does show how inconsistent he was in CC games prior to that. Hopefully he can kick on and keep his performance at that level from now on.

I do however hope he gets given a place in the batting line-up, preferably 6 for 4 day games, and left there for the season. I feel he is best finishing off the middle order and allowing him to develop a particular role in the side will hopefully maximise his potential.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 13 Feb - 15:52

Azhar Mahmood resigns for T20. Good news as he offers some depth, experience and versatility to a squad which is lacking a bit in the former two especially.

Although I'd agree with not resigning KP, with him gone we are looking short on batsmen in one day cricket. Presuming that is Sanga available our T20 line-up could look like:

1.Roy
2.Davies
3.Sangakarra
4.Solanki
5.Foakes or Wilson (wk)
6.Mahmood
7.Ansari
8.Batty
9.Curran
10.Dunn or Meaker
11.Dernbach

Don't mean to bring us back to our more familiar pessimism but I really feel we need an additional overseas batsmen and maybe O'Brien for another season to give us some options, balance and depth.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 16 Feb - 16:00

Sangakarra went unsold at the IPL auction today.

Could be a huge fillip for Surrey if it makes him available for the start of the CC season!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Feb - 16:41

Not entirely sure how the guy who was MOTM in the World T20 final last year goes unsold but a guy who barely scored above a run a ball in the Blast/Caribbean T20 (KP) gets sold first time
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 16 Feb - 16:51

My thoughts exactly Olly.

KP did go for almost a £700,000 less than last year though. Whilst I'm certainly not arguing that £205,000 for 6 weeks work is bad going, and he is still the top payed English player by a distance, I think it is representative of the fact that his star is fading regardless of what his fans still state.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Feb - 16:53

king_carlos wrote:My thoughts exactly Olly.

KP did go for almost a £700,000 less than last year though. Whilst I'm certainly not arguing that £205,000 for 6 weeks work is bad going, and he is still the top played English player by a distance, I think it is representative of the fact that his star is fading regardless of what his fans still state.
The whole thing just completely baffles me

Hales hasn't got a sniff, yet he's been one of the best T20 openers in the world, and proved it at the World Cup in the sub continent last year. 

Anyways doesn't keep me awake at night, and if it means Sangakkara is available more often nobody is complaining!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Feb - 16:00

Great to see Daphne featured on the club website today - a lovely lady.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 1 Mar - 23:24

As has been noted on other thread, Rory Hamilton Brown has retired due to non recovery of a wrist injury. That brings the curtain down on a career that was at times turbulent and controversial.  He can look back on some highlights on the field but his talent was at best only partially fulfilled. He was not helped by others' giving him more responsibility than his character/temperament could handle, at least at that stage in life.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 2 Mar - 0:13

Corporal - kinder words than I would have used although still a neat summary.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 9 Mar - 12:52

With the latest England debacle maybe it's time to dust down Olly's prediction that Zafar Ansari will play for England this calendar year!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 14 Mar - 9:16

Thoughts on the KP stuff? Quite excited by it myself!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Mar - 12:44

Olly - my thoughts now on the ''KP Returns?'' thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Mar - 21:55

Zafar Ansari had a decent first day for MCC.  Batting at No 6 scored 24* off 60 balls while the rest of the innings folded around him then took a Yorks wicket in his second over. "Clive" Dunn took the other Yorks wicket to fall.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 22 Mar - 21:57

#ansariforEngland 

It's gonna happen folks...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down