The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs

+12
CAS
HM Murdock
temporary21
LuvSports!
bogbrush
Jahu
lags72
It Must Be Love
Haddie-nuff
kingraf
socal1976
hawkeye
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs Empty 2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

2014 started as it ended. The AO final proved a disappointment when Nadal injured his back during the the warm up and in the last match of the year Federer sadly withdrew from the final of the WTF with a back injury sustained during the tie break of his semi final.

Hopefully they both avail themselves of the best possible treatment to be fully fit for 2015

Last edited by hawkeye on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs Empty Re: 2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

Seems like most players lack a backbone nowadays...

Back to top Go down

2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs Empty Re: 2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Seems like most players lack a backbone nowadays...

Ouch Lk, I like it. I will wait and see if he plays in the DC if he does play then maybe he ain't that injured. Has to nurse that H2h v. Djokovic it seems.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

Surely you mean bookended?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:33 pm

Maybe Rafa could introduce him to his doctor Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

60 years ago, players couldn't risk the loss of income, and played on injured. The fact that Federer's now done this three times is exactly why he can't be compared to players of the past
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:40 pm

It happened to Nadal against Wawrinka, and Federer for this final- oh well that is sport.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:44 pm

hawkeye wrote:2014 started as it ended. The AO final proved a disappointment when Nadal injured his back during the the warm up and in the last match of the year Federer sadly withdrew from the final of the WTF with a back injury sustained during the tie break of his semi final.

Hopefully they both avail themselves of the best possible treatment to be fully fit for 2015

Translation :

"There are apparently still lots and lots of evil, misguided people out there who believe that Stan Wawrinka won his AO title fair & square, after playing some spectacularly good tennis.
I need to point out the error of their ways, to keep plugging away with my asterisk theory, and thus discredit his victory whenever possible.
They probably won't swallow my version of things, but hey, that won't stop me trying".

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:49 pm

lags72 wrote:
hawkeye wrote:2014 started as it ended. The AO final proved a disappointment when Nadal injured his back during the the warm up and in the last match of the year Federer sadly withdrew from the final of the WTF with a back injury sustained during the tie break of his semi final.

Translation :

"There are apparently still lots and lots of evil, misguided people out there who believe that Stan Wawrinka won his AO title fair & square, after playing some spectacularly good tennis.
I need to point out the error of their ways, to keep plugging away with my asterisk theory, and thus discredit his victory whenever possible.
They probably won't swallow my version of things, but hey, that won't stop me trying".

Plus this WTF will be * Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 6:51 pm

2014 Bookended By FEDAL's Bad Backs Asteri11

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Mon Dieu ! Absolutely NO asterisks on this one LK.

I mean ......it's a 100% certainty that Federer couldn't have beaten Djoko today.

(even if he has beaten him three times out of five this year, for the loss of just one set ........)

Meanwhile ...... looking forward to IMBL enthusiastically posting photos of victorious Novak next time he beats Rafa. Or maybe it doesn't work like that ........ Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

lags72 wrote:
Meanwhile ...... looking forward to IMBL enthusiastically posting photos of victorious Novak next time he beats Rafa. Or maybe it doesn't work like that ........ Cool
Did you notice what Djokovic was holding Lags...

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:10 pm

lags72 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I mean ......it's a 100% certainty that Federer couldn't have beaten Djoko today.

(even if he has beaten him three times out of five this year, for the loss of just one set ........)

If he plays DC he is a giant douche, period and end of story. If he doesn't then this withdrawal makes sense. I once took Soderling to task for walking out against Djokovic in rome when he was getting bagelled in 2011 only to show up two days later at the powerhorse tournament in Germany. Same standard for Federer.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:13 pm

No, I didn't notice to be honest. But he sure looked happy.

Is it one of those "ethically corrupt" Moët awards .....??

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:13 pm

lags72 wrote:No, I didn't notice to be honest. But he sure looked happy.

Is it one of those "ethically corrupt" Moët awards .....??
It was an asterisk Lags mo1

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:24 pm

It's good that you take these players (and whenever necessary, their fans too) to task socal. Or, to use your own words, spout venom at them.

At least there has never been any criticism of your man Novak for past withdrawals, and if only all fans could take a leaf from your book, and be so even-handed.

In other news, I spotted your fondness for Hennessy Cognac, and wondered if you are partial to their rather fine 'Paradis' blend ? If you fly back home with Emirates Airline (Tehran to LA via Dubai would be a suitable routing for you I think .....??) you can get your fill of it in First Class. Top tip ! Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

lags72 wrote:It's good that you take these players (and whenever necessary, their fans too) to task socal. Or, to use your own words, spout venom at them.

At least there has never been any criticism of your man Novak for past withdrawals, and if only all fans could take a leaf from your book, and be so even-handed.

In other news, I spotted your fondness for Hennessy Cognac, and wondered if you are partial to their rather fine 'Paradis' blend ? If you fly back home with Emirates Airline (Tehran to LA via Dubai would be a suitable routing for you I think .....??) you can get your fill of it in First Class. Top tip ! Cool

Wait there has never been any criticism of Djokovic for his withdrawals maybe you should PM BB on that one. By the way I only fly Turkish business class, recession and all. Plus flying emirates means you spend 4 hours more in your trip as you fly over Tehran and down to Dubai and then take a layover and fly back over Tehran Russia and the artic circle to sunny southern California.

Hiarious stuff, I mean Novak has never been criticized for his withdrawals, that is funny.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

Ah but it wasn't meant to be funny socal. Perhaps  the irony was lost on you somewhere along the way. I know just how willing you are to take the flak as well as dishing it .....! Nice & balanced.

You really should switch from Turkish to Emirates. Ok, so a few more flying hours from what you say, but the inflight service is better. AND .....still the only commercial airline where you can enjoy a nice refreshing shower onboard Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

Lags you can shower on Singapore Airlines, and Turkish has better looking stewardesses.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

lags72 wrote:Ah but it wasn't meant to be funny socal. Perhaps  the irony was lost on you somewhere along the way. I know just how willing you are to take the flak as well as dishing it .....! Nice & balanced.

You really should switch from Turkish to Emirates. Ok, so a few more flying hours from what you say, but the inflight service is better. AND .....still the only commercial airline where you can enjoy a nice refreshing shower onboard Wink

I don't like giving money to the gulf arabs frankly, I have flown both and Turkish has the best food. The gulf arabs are visibly racist against Persians I can give you many examples but I don't want to turn this nasty.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

socal1976 wrote:
lags72 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

If he plays DC he is a giant douche, period and end of story. If he doesn't then this withdrawal makes sense. I once took Soderling to task for walking out against Djokovic in rome when he was getting bagelled in 2011 only to show up two days later at the powerhorse tournament in Germany. Same standard for Federer.

I guess this is another one off these.

https://www.606v2.com/t6328-how-will-the-end-of-djoko-s-streak-affect-his-play

What a d*ck
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:47 pm

socal1976 wrote:
lags72 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

He walked out? He finished their rome match and got battered 6-3 6-0. Ey????

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm

What on earth is Djokovic lifting in,that pick? Looks like a giant pokemon gym badge
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:02 pm

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
lags72 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I guess this is another one off these.

https://www.606v2.com/t6328-how-will-the-end-of-djoko-s-streak-affect-his-play

What a d*ck

I know all those people who disagreed with me are a bunch of d$cks.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

So of that traditional Big 4, one has had surgery to repair his back, one his having stem cell treatment to repair his back and another has pulled out of one of the biggest matches of the year with a back problem (having struggled all of last year with a back problem).

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:So of that traditional Big 4, one has had surgery to repair his back, one his having stem cell treatment to repair his back and another has pulled out of one of the biggest matches of the year with a back problem (having struggled all of last year with a back problem).

Well considering his age he has been lucky thus far. It was inevitable surely that at some point something had to give

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:24 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

Well considering his age he has been lucky thus far.  It was inevitable surely that at some point something had to give
Yes, true. I think at this age and given how long he's played for, he's in permanent decline now.

Hopefully the stem cell treatment will be effective too.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:56 pm

I can understand Fed pulling out even if he might ahve been able to limp on and put on a show. Its not just himself if he misses DC hes letting down, its his whole team. Hes prioritising it I guess.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 16 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:So of that traditional Big 4, one has had surgery to repair his back, one his having stem cell treatment to repair his back and another has pulled out of one of the biggest matches of the year with a back problem (having struggled all of last year with a back problem).

Well considering his age he has been lucky thus far.  It was inevitable surely that at some point something had to give
Sounds like you think the back is a new problem.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Nov 2014, 9:01 pm

kingraf wrote:Surely you mean bookended?

Yes that's exactly what I meant... Smile

Haddie-nuff wrote:Maybe Rafa could introduce him to his doctor Whistle

They appear to be friends maybe they will OK

HM Murdoch wrote:So of that traditional Big 4...

Pfft! "traditional Big 4" Novak is still canvassing night and day to try and get the term "Big 3" accepted.

Laugh IMBL. That is one huge asterisk Djokovic has got his hands on.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 16 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

hawkeye wrote:Pfft! "traditional Big 4" Novak is still canvassing night and day to try and get the term "Big 3" accepted.
Well, although Rafa has failed to finish higher than third in two of the last 3 years, it would be harsh to ignore him.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Pfft! "traditional Big 4" Novak is still canvassing night and day to try and get the term "Big 3" accepted.
Well, although Rafa has failed to finish higher than third in two of the last 3 years, it would be harsh to ignore him.
Cool

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:13 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

Another gem from you HMM. You're so naughty !

Mind you, hawkeye does make a habit of walking into these, so I can't blame you when offered it on a plate Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:42 pm

^ Good grief! I did genuinely forget for a minute that Nole is number one Laugh

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:15 am

I can't believe its being suggested he is exaggerating an injury like he has previous, this isn't an ankle or wrist problem. Your back affects everything, I've had back issues where it can go as quickly as it came. He already said if he had an extra day he may have recovered.

Surely he's done the right thing, going out there not being able to move properly, getting bread sticked twice in 50 minutes when people have spends 100s on tickets. Instead the crowd got hours of entertainment, priority for next years final and partially refunded tickets.

Then after a weeks recovery he turns up for a Davis Cup final that his country has never won making him a douche? The reason Federer has this incredible longevity is he listens to his body and makes tough decisions.

What if he played, and limped around the court I bet the same people who are saying he should have played tonight are the same people who would say he shouldn't have turned up for the match if he knew there was an issue and ruined the spectacle

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:23 am

Sample mid-match retirements of some ATGs are Borg (5 RETirements), Lendl (10 RET), Connors (14 RET), McEnroe (1 RET), Nadal (7 RET).

Federer (I think has 3 W/Os - Paris 2008 v Blake, Doha v Tsonga, WTF v Djokovic) and no RETs in his career, IIRC.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:19 am

I'm sure if the DC wasn't very close he would have played a few games and hoped for the best. Excellent schedule management by the GOAT/God of the game. Proof also that he cares about the DC (Socal etc said in the past he didn't care). OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:22 am

But then again it's been said by others in the past that the DC is not an important tournament. Were they wrong ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:34 am

Personally, I'm not the least bit interested in Davis Cup.

Too long, too frequent and success in it is really no barometer of an individual player's quality.

But I can understand why it might mean something to the players.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

Let me make it easy for you.

Winning the DC to complete for the 1st time would be better than winning the WTF for the 7th time. Especially when your whole country wants the DC more Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

Everybody moans about the DC and yet it generates tremendous matches and excitement every year. It's a great strain on the players, though. One possible solution is to play it once every two years but I doubt they'll change the formula.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:46 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Let me make it easy for you.

Winning the DC to complete for the 1st time would be better than winning the WTF for the 7th time. Especially when your whole country wants the DC more Wink

Ok. Then people should not deride it when other countries win it because their favourite hasn't won it previously.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:52 am

I think the dc needs a World Cup type formula every 2 years or so for the world group and more streamlined qualification matches

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

Calder106 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:Let me make it easy for you.

Ok. Then people should not deride it when other countries win it because their favourite hasn't won it previously.
Who's deriding it?

Give quotes.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

temporary21 wrote:I think the dc needs a World Cup type formula every 2 years or so for the world group and more streamlined qualification matches
I'd prefer something more like the Ryder Cup.

Two teams that compete every 2-4 years.

Not sure how to group the teams though. East v West perhaps, with east of Germany being the boundary?

Get two veteran captains, say Connors and Lendl to pick 6 players from each region. So we could have Federer, Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka, and Raonic against Djokovic, Nishikori, Berdych, Cilic and Dimitrov.

Could have a doubles match, a swap-players-each-service game match and a couple of singles matches.

Or I could just go to the circus.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

Keep the DC as it is.

All that needs tweaking is the scheduling and participation. I think the ranking should be deteminded by the players rankings (work out a formula which would give them a certain ranking) say make it a tournament of 32. Pre-qualify the top 16 and then have say 16 places fought over out of the other 32. Do one lot of RR knockout matches in Feburary and it culminate last week of November/1st week December.

I just think it's stretched out too far for the tennis season.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
temporary21 wrote:I think the dc needs a World Cup type formula every 2 years or so for the world group and more streamlined qualification matches
I'd prefer something more like the Ryder Cup.

Two teams that compete every 2-4 years.

Not sure how to group the teams though. East v West perhaps, with east of Germany being the boundary?

Get two veteran captains, say Connors and Lendl to pick 6 players from each region. So we could have Federer, Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka, and Raonic against Djokovic, Nishikori, Berdych, Cilic and Dimitrov.

Could have a doubles match, a swap-players-each-service game match and a couple of singles matches.

Or I could just go to the circus.
I dont think we can only have 2 teams in tennis. Unlike golf theres not really 2 "major" powers in tennis, every 2 to 4 years might be ok, maybe you could have a regional qualification for it, and then make it a knockout style tourny. Though the matches might have to be 3 sets then.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

2014 Bookended By Talk Of FEDAL Feigning Back Injuries Erm

I wanted to make a new article but didn't want to waste any valuable 606v2 internet space angel

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:13 pm

clap

I salute your restrain.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:

I wanted to make a new article but didn't want to waste any valuable 606v2 internet space angel

Hasn't stopped you in the past HE.

Why change the habits of a lifetime .....? Headscratch

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next