The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value

+7
temporary21
JuliusHMarx
lydian
JubbaIsle
kingraf
It Must Be Love
hawkeye
11 posters

Go down

Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value Empty Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value

Post by hawkeye Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

Back in October Nadal lamented on how the Davis Cup has lost its value

I don"t know how important it is to win the Davis Cup now, considering how the best players didn"t play. To me, Davis Cup has lost the value it used to have before" said Rafael to the media in Switzerland.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Rafael-Nadal-Roger-Federer-and-I-Respect-Each-Other-A-Lot-but-We-Are-Not-Friends-articolo20870.html

Now his rival Federer has also said that he shares this opinion.

"Davis Cup is not what it used to be anymore in my opinion," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2014/11/19/roger-federer-davis-cup-switzerland/19279607/

I suppose what they say is true. Isn't it?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value Empty Re: Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:27 pm

I personally love the Davis Cup. It's such a fun tournament, and I love the fact it's got a partisan home stadium and the atmosphere it creates.

Federer and Nadal say they've lost value... maybe they're right in the respect all the top players don't always enter, but I still see it as very prestigious.
The schedule should be changed to give it more importance, which ensures more top players play.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value Empty Re: Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:27 pm

In fact I think Davis Cup should be mandatory, but there needs to be a few changes in the schedule.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:31 pm

^ I don't think it should be mandatory. Players would be fools to vote for more mandatory play.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:35 pm

hawkeye wrote:^ I don't think it should be mandatory. Players would be fools to vote for more mandatory play.
In exchange I think players should have reductions in mandatory tournaments elsewhere, i.e. they don't have to play ATP500s.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

I also don't think the Davis Cup should carry ranking points

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:39 pm

hawkeye wrote:I also don't think the Davis Cup should carry ranking points
Giving it ranking points is good motivation for players to compete.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Nov 2014, 6:02 pm

This Davis Cup final is the most anticipated one I can remember.

Lots of media coverage, and not just in the traditional tennis media.

It's all over the news. Even on Al Jazeera where I saw a report yesterday on Federer and whether or not he would be fit for the final.

The renewed interest is basically because of one man - no partisanship, just the way it is.

So I guess in a sense that resonates with what Nadal is saying about the best players needing to play to add more value to the competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 20 Nov 2014, 6:10 pm

If we had a year where all the top players played, the tournament really could gain much more value and coverage as well.

This final is the first in a while where either Fed/Nadal are playing and we genuinely don't know what the result is going to be.
Imagine if we had Spain vs Serbia, Serbia vs Switzerland, or Spain vs Switzerland- it would be absolutely massive.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:38 am

I guess the question is then: What did it used to be? Headscratch

Nadal has not played DC this year. Does it mean he will only play if Spain met Switzerland or Serbia?

Far as I am aware the top players today play in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:14 am

If I read correctly the Nadal's are embroiled in a bit of a Sexism war on the Davis Cup front. Combined with his injuries, might not see him lace up for The Armada for a while
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:16 am

I thought Toni said that Rafa would play under the new DC captain? Went as far to say he would introduce the pair Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:48 pm

So it was all a big lie and a camouflage to fool the French players eh ?

Federer And Nadal Say Davis Cup Has Lost It's Value _7921211

" I am just happy we can give everyone in our country a historic moment."

Whistle

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:58 pm

Lol Jubba...

Winning DC has never been anywhere near the slams or WTF. Nadal and Sampras both won 4 DCs, not 1, and yet no-one talks about those. Anyway, a nice moment for Federer...heightened by it probably being his last big achievement in tennis. I suspect his tears were also in recognition of that too.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:01 pm

lydian wrote:Lol Jubba...

Winning DC has never been anywhere near the slams or WTF. Nadal and Sampras both won 4 DCs, not 1, and yet no-one talks about those.

Not even Sampras!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Pete basically single handedly won the 1995 davis cup final for the US. It was in Russia and it was apparently the slowest clay court ever conceived. He won both his singles rubbers, completely collapsing after the match point of one of them. His reward was when he got home... noone gave a c*ap. He never really played it properly again.

In fact that was probably around the time that DC started to lose its gilt edge

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

Winning DC has never been anywhere near the slams or WTF. Nadal and Sampras both won 4 DCs, not 1, and yet no-one talks about those. Anyway, a nice moment for Federer...heightened by it probably being his last big achievement in tennis. I suspect his tears were also in recognition of that too.

Contradicted yourself in your own post there, lydian Smile

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

Careful now, you've made similar predictions about Federer's imminent demise in the past and have been proven wrong. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm

They have always demoted DC as a side show, but turn up and play as if their country is at war.

Personally, for us British, until we get good at it, its always going to be boring and pointless. Yawn. Rather cynical I know, but there are plenty of people out there who think DC is brilliant and pay to watch it live.

Probably explains the recent dip in out patient numbers in psychology units. (sorry if thats offended anyone, I'm not a mentaphobic)

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:14 am

Some moan about DC, some of the top players don't play it, some fans are not interested in it. But it still seems to mean a lot, if the massive attendances at Lille and the way their triumph was met by the Swiss are anything to go by.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:21 am

I've never seen the point, but then I played tennis because I don't like playing in a team.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:38 pm

emancipator wrote:

Careful now, you've made similar predictions about Federer's imminent demise in the past and have been proven wrong. Wink
Federer's still got the level, but has he still got the consistency and the ability to last 2 weeks of tennis? He had cakewalk draws in Wimby up to the final, and all the way into the US open, but he fell short physically, especially in the latter case. If his backs aggravated by one week of 3 set tennis, then he had better manage himself very carefully

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

emancipator wrote:

Yes writing off Federer is dangerous, frankly I think next year he has a great chance of adding to his slam tally and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the year as the highest ranked player, or just behind Djokovic again.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:22 pm

Is that the reason Fed aimed hard for a davis cup win? Shocked

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:13 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
emancipator wrote:

Yes writing off Federer is dangerous, frankly I think next year he has a great chance of adding to his slam tally and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the year as the highest ranked player, or just behind Djokovic again.

Hence I used the word "probably" Wink
In the balance of probabilities Fed is unlikely to win another slam, WTF or DC, especially if Nadal is around.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down