The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits.

5 posters

Go down

NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits. Empty NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits.

Post by AdZacO Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm

While reading this on NFL.com, that teams will be fined, and the NFLs vice president didn't rule out the option that the commisioner wouldn't rule out taking draft picks away from teams that have a few players who continue to be fined.

At first I found this to absolutely rediculous, until i noticed a comment made by some one about formers players who have commited suicide, or live with brain trauma. Then i remembered reading about an ex Beras player, who shot himself in the chest moments after texting his relatived that he wanted his brain donated to science, to look into CTE, a form of trauma of the brain, commonly found in heavy contact sports.

It ws one of fourteen brains of ex NFL players that have been donated, and thirteen out of them where found to have CTE which can cause depression and affect judgement. It even became too much for a college player in 2010 when junior Defensive Lineman Owen Thomas commited suicide.

Three active NFL players, including Matt Birk, Lofa Tatupu and Sean Morey, have agreed that after their deaths, that their brains can be studied to see if they have CTE. The main worry for the researchers is that even children starting out playing can have many concussion, which can cause CTE.

Personally I think taking draft picks is not the way to go, but something has to be done. So what are your thoughts?

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits. Empty Re: NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits.

Post by Grizzly Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm not sure it'll work. mainly because the system cannot be entirely consistent.
If team x were to lose a pick because of the illegal hits count up, you can bet your life they'll have a team of lawyers scouring every second of NFL tape to find inconsistencies and the league will have to cave in - it's unworkable IMO.

They need to start with helmet safety, there are a number of other models that provide far greater protection than the existing model but pros are reluctant to use it because of restricted vision and weight issues.
If these are the only issues then I'm sure this model can be altered that suits the players and provides players with the necessary protection.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits. Empty Re: NFL may take picks from teams for hard hits.

Post by AdZacO Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Very good point Grizzly, surely with the amount invested in the NFL they can help a company in researching and sorting out a safer helmet, that is light and has good vision.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu May 26, 2011 3:40 pm

I saw a report last year AdZac, players trailled a numebr of prototype helmets, some of which are known to offer twice the current level of protection.
Interesting as well that players prefer to wear them loose as the heat inside is intense, yet experts say that when worn loose the protection is much reduced exposing players even more.
As you say, with todays technology there must be a solution....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 pm

I saw a report, not too long ago that was rating the different models pros can choose from, think there was something like 50% wear ones that had 1 or 2 star ratings. Maybe they should bring in rules restricting which helmets can be worn?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu May 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Derbyblue wrote:I saw a report, not too long ago that was rating the different models pros can choose from, think there was something like 50% wear ones that had 1 or 2 star ratings. Maybe they should bring in rules restricting which helmets can be worn?

Agreed, but with so many man made materials, that have astonishing properties, their must be a solution. The NFL should help fund them in my opinion, eve start the company themselves so they can get the costs down. (Although that would never happen)

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu May 26, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm not aware of players wearing them loose. From experience, not only is that dangerous, its largely impractical, as the helmet will move too much, even when slightly loose.

I always preferred a helmet with a snug fit, though I must admit, the old Riddell's were really heavy and could be very uncomfortable as the air cushioning didn't always even out properly. I always preferred the Bike helmet with the dual air cages, but they were light and I wonder how safe they actually were. I know I had at least 2 concussions when I was playing and both when I had the Bike.

First thing we're told as a coach is instil the importance of how a helmet keeps kids safe and make sure they fit properly and aren't abused (i.e. no head butting and sitting on helmets). We don't let players go out and train/play with poorly fitting helmets because of the risks.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Skins - there was an investigation into why so many helmets come off during contact (during games) and they found that players wore helmets larger than they need - apparently it's impossible for them to come off if they're the right fit and they're properly strapped on

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Gotch.

Its not 'impossible' just highly unlikely. I've seen helmets scraped off when the contact is along the buckles and the fasteners come off. But that is rare. If you see a helmet come off and the chinstrap is still done up, then its deffo too loose - or the guy has a massive hair do! Smile

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Tbh I would say that quite a few players have them on to loose. You see them strap them on at literally the last second sometimes and whilst I've never put one on, I would imagine to "properly" put a helmet on to the level where it is 'impossible' to come off takes a little bit of effort

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down