The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, what were your 2014 highlights?

+9
laverfan
CAS
Henman Bill
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
kingraf
Silver
13 posters

Go down

So, what were your 2014 highlights? Empty So, what were your 2014 highlights?

Post by Silver Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

It's been an interesting year! What did everyone enjoy this year on the ATP?

Favourite matches, moments, pictures, shots? Biggest surprises? Which players did you enjoy watching?

Silver

Back to top Go down

So, what were your 2014 highlights? Empty Re: So, what were your 2014 highlights?

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

In no particular order.
Djokovic-Wawrinka Aus Open
Djokovic-Federer Monte Carlo
Djokovic-Nadal RG
Djokovic-Tsonga Canada
Djokovic - Nishikori USO
Djokovic - Federer Shanghai
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

So, what were your 2014 highlights? Empty Re: So, what were your 2014 highlights?

Post by The Special Juan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:38 pm

Kyrgios' tweener v Nadal @ Wimby!! Also, Murray walking out onto Centre as Wimbledon champ was pretty cool too
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm

My highlight is this:
So, what were your 2014 highlights? 487175_1

I also found this quite moving (for both players). The RG crowd can be awful but they produced a nice moment on this occasion:

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:07 pm

I guess my favourite matches of the year were:

Djokovic vs Wawrinka AO
Dolgopolov vs Nadal IW
Bouchard vs Kerber FO
Nishikori vs Raonic USO

Special Mention

Federer vs Raonic Wim
Nadal vs Murray FO

Just for the masterclass performances they were.

Player of the Year

Novak Djokovic - Who else?
Stan Wawrinka not far behind

Moments of the Year

Kyrgios defeating Nadal at Wimbledon
Tsonga beating Djokovic/Murray/Federer to win Rogers Cup
Stan Wawrinka winning the Australian Open
Switzerland Davis Cup success
Bryan Brothers 6 Masters 1000 titles

Special Mention Moment

Fognini vs Layhani Madrid 2014. Just brilliant. Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

I think it was good to see not just one, but two new Grand Slam winners.
The Kyrgios win over Rafa at Wimbledon was spectacular.
Murray's great effort to reach the 02, including saving 10 MPs in two finals v Tommy, was remarkable.
Fed's resurgence was good to watch, with a DC triumph the icing on the cake.
Goffin had an inspiring run.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

Stan's amazing run at the Aus Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NEYZW6Smk
Kyrgios beating Rafa.
Feds in general jsut returning to title winning and slam challenging form (still hurts he lost wimby).
Goffin realising his potential.
Nishikori destroying rafa in Madrid before getting injured.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

Really Wimbledon stands out for me and for one thing above all - Kyrgios great run especially saving match points against Gasquet to win 10-8 in the 5th, and then beating Rafa. Also a decent 5-set final.

Tsonga winning a masters was good.

Cilic-Nishikori surprise semi final wins and Cilic performance across USO Q, S and F.

Many of the reecnt years have been a little better, but then we have been spoiled.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

Just had a great idea...Charity doubles match Warwinka and his partner vs Roger and Mirka Federer..all players with microphones.

Extra charitable donations for insults.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm

really enjoyed Nishikori vs Nadal Madrid Final before the injury, Kei seemed to be teleporting I was in awe.

Federer vs Djokovic Shanghai SFs

Stan vs Djokovic Aussie Open

Federer vs Djokovic Wimbledon

Djokovics Indian Wells an Miami double was incredibly impressive

Tsonga in Toronto when he beat Murray, Djokovic and Federer

check out Nishikori vs Nadal Aussie Open too, was straight sets but incredibly close. Was when I first started to take notice of Kei this year

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 26 Nov 2014, 2:31 am

Federer v Monfils DC 2014. One of the GOATs was made to look like a club-level player.

Djokovic v Federer Shanghai (and I was hoping for fireworks at WTF 2014 Final).

Djokovic d Federer W.

Federer v Mayer Shanghai.

@HMM... Thanks for the video clip at RG.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

THAT shot!

The magic of Goffin.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 4:48 pm

Favorite matches

in no particular order

Stan beating Djoko in AO
Stan beating Rafa in AO finals
Rafa beating Djoko in FO finals
Kei beating Djoko in USO finals
Cilic beating Fed in USO semis
Fed beating Monfils in USO
Fed beating Djoko in Shanghai

Most of my matches features Djoko as the opponent coz he clearly was the man to beat this year and some underdogs did rise to the occasion in 2014.

moments

Fed winning the Davis Cup
Cilic winning the USO

pictures

Cilic vs Fed in USO [ some taken by myself , I will post it later.

shots

.Dimitrov's back to back hot dogs against Jack Sock power returns.
.Andy Murray winning the point against Kols on 2-2 in the 2nd set.

Biggest surprises

Kei Nishikori's rise to super stardom and consistency
Cilic's maiden GS win
Stan's maiden GS win
Swiss Davis cup win
Raonic's win over Fed in Paris to snatch WTF entry.

Which players did you enjoy watching

Cilic
Djoko
Federer
Monfils
Gulbis
Kei Nishikori

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 03 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm

Highlights:

Wimbledon Final - Djokovic beating Federer (incredible stat with nearly 150 winners hit vs less than 50 unforced errors over 5 sets). Very rare you see a winner : UE ratio that high in favour of winners

Rafa winning 9th French open - although I wanted to see Novak win the title, an amazing achievement from Nadal that will surely never be matched in our lifetime

Nishikori coming of age, always a big talent but great to see him make big strides this year, hits the ball so early. Reminds of a fitter version of Nalbandian with the ability to hit with power but also produces great angles while taking the ball early. One to watch for sure in 2015!

Wawrinka's performance at the Australian Open........ finally backing up performances in consecutive big matches. His performance against Djokovic was out of this world and took a lot of guts after so many close defeats to Novak in the slams

Monfis vs Federer match at US open was also great to watch, amazing from Gael in the 1st two sets but Fed showed his battling qualities and hunger even at this late stage in his career

A word for Federer too in terms of his overall year, some achievement to push the chase for number 1 into the final week of the season at the age of 33, remarkable stuff

Finally, huge respect to Novak finishing year end number one again, in my opinion he has already cemented his legacy among the greats of the game. While i would love nothing more than to see him win the French Open, I think he must already be regarded as a top 10 all time player given his major and masters haul while competing against two legends of the game on all surfaces. I really hope he can hit double digits for slams won, he deserves it.

Bring on 2015 !

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed 03 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:A word for Federer too in terms of his overall year, some achievement to push the chase for number 1 into the final week of the season at the age of 33, remarkable stuff

Finally, huge respect to Novak finishing year end number one again, in my opinion he has already cemented his legacy among the greats of the game. While i would love nothing more than to see him win the French Open, I think he must already be regarded as a top 10 all time player given his major and masters haul while competing against two legends of the game on all surfaces. I really hope he can hit double digits for slams won, he deserves it.

Bring on 2015 !

Hear, hear!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 03 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

Also Dolgo;s match vs Rafa at IW.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:27 am

As a match, Wimbledon final.  The biggest tournament of them all, with both players playing quite well, and while Nole looked the better player throughout, Fed played a brilliant and massively enjoyable (for me as a Fed fan, at least) patch of tennis in the 4th set to extend it to five.  It did not end the way I would have liked it to, but it was still the most exciting match of the year for me.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:14 pm

I dont know how people can say that in the Wimbledon final, both players played quite well. I thought they were both playing at a really high level !! they hit nearly 150 winners combined, which is amazing and hit so few unforced errors in comparison.

The standard from the very start was unbelievable and for me it was right up there with the 08 final. Remember in that match the first 2 sets were pretty ordinary with nadal well in control. The last 3 sets were excellent but I think this year's final with the exception of maybe the 2nd set were so competitive and winners flying off both rackets

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down