The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else enjoying IPTL?

+2
Silver
kingraf
6 posters

Go down

Anyone else enjoying IPTL? Empty Anyone else enjoying IPTL?

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 12:40 pm

I must admit, I was quite hesitant about this competition, and to qualify my statement somewhat, if this tournament were to suddenly disappear from my screen, I wouldn't exactly mourn...

Thay said, I've found it quite entertaining this weekend. Federer and Monfils as one doubles team is pretty box office. Then you have he of the chubby cheeks, Boris Becker standing at the corner of the court for reasons which I must admit are rather opaque, but it adds to the star quality(?) I guess. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has given this a chance.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Anyone else enjoying IPTL? Empty Re: Anyone else enjoying IPTL?

Post by Silver Tue 09 Dec 2014, 1:43 pm

No.

It's nice to see the players enjoying themselves, but not very entertaining at all.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Once I flicked over and saw the score was like 25-22 I gave up and found a hobby!

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 09 Dec 2014, 3:22 pm

I thought the Federer v Djokovic match was fun in an exhibition-but-still-taking-it-pretty-seriously kind of way.

I still can't work out why, with Federer having won the set 6-5 in the "against the clock" tie breaker, they then played another game to finish in a 6-6 draw though.

I wouldn't lament its demise but it's been alright.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 3:45 pm

Apparently you need 29 game to win the match. And at the end of the fifth set, Djokovic's team, The Arabian Nights, I think they are, only had 28. In the event of neither team having reached 29 at the end of the fifth set, the fifth set continues until 29 is reached.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:07 pm

Thanks, KR.

Silly rule really. They've devised a format where they can play all the fixtures and still not have a result!

Although Djokovic's team is called UAE Royals, not The Arabian Nights!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

Yes, I can't really mock them for it mind, as I'm currently sleeping at crazy hours watching Test cricket!

Ja, I was just teasing re: Arabian Nights. But I really couldn't remember their name!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:45 pm

Yes, I can't really mock them for it mind, as I'm currently sleeping at crazy hours watching Test cricket!

Ja, I was just teasing re: Arabian Nights. But I really couldn't remember their name!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

Not really followed much IPTL, and I'm glad Nadal isn't playing in it and getting some practice instead.

Am also surprised Federer is playing given his injury concerns at the end of the year, but I guess he didn't push himself that much.

As we're having a side discussion in terms of cricket comparison; as someone who is British but of Indian origin, I must say I really despise the IPL. 2020 cricket is itself a gimmick, and when we have farcical tournaments like the IPL it turns cricket into a joke.
The sad thing is some people even prioritise the joke tournament over actual cricket, and it ends up ruining their technique; the reason Indian batsman struggle away from home and look like they're lost is because they've destroyed their own ability to be able to pace an innings and accumulate runs; they can either hit out like in the IPL or go into their shell and not get runs on the board.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

if I was still serious about cricket, I'd hone my t20 game. Financial security is at the end of the day paramount. With that said looking at some of the "talent" which has graced IPL... I can't help thinking that had I been born Indian, I'd be rocking a $50 000 contract.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:01 pm

kingraf wrote:if I was still serious about cricket, I'd hone my t20 game. Financial security is at the end of the day paramount. With that said looking at some of the "talent" which has graced IPL... I can't help thinking that had I been born Indian, I'd be rocking a $50 000 contract.
Yes unfortunately the FPL has lots of money, and many people play it for that

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:13 pm

I tried to follow, but there was no coverage live stream nor proper scores anywhere outside the official website, there was no coverage from any media about the timings of the matches on who play when, the worst part I couldn't even figure that out in the official website.

Very confusing and eventually i gave up.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

kingraf wrote:Apparently you need 29 game to win the match. And at the end of the fifth set, Djokovic's team, The Arabian Nights, I think they are, only had 28. In the event of neither team having reached 29 at the end of the fifth set, the fifth set continues until 29 is reached.

That cant be right. Im not sure any other match has had one team reach 29 games. 30 is the max that can be achieved!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm

If a test is meandering towards a draw, a batsman will usually look to protect his average rather than looking to smack it around to increase his run total (unless he has a chance of a century). Average and centuries are the key barometers with total runs a bit behind.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:39 pm

Wrong thread Slippy!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:42 pm

Looking it up, thats what happened in the Indians-Nights game. The continuation was because Nights needed 29, or Aces needed 28 to ties (Federer winning the continuation 6-0).
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down