The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doing something about it

+5
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
milkyboy
Derbymanc
Tea_is_for_mugs
9 posters

Go down

Doing something about it Empty Doing something about it

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Sun 14 Dec - 1:54

Hey all,

I was bored waiting for comments on tonight's fights and decided to stop my 5 year stint of lurking and contribute.

I have two question I would love to hear you opinions on regarding tonight's khan vs Alexander bout tonight.

1. Virgil hunter, is he a proven world class trainer? Or is he potentially blessed with a once in a generation talent in ward. I remember Enzo getting heaped with praise for calzaghe, but failed to develop any other top tier fighter, could this be similar?

2. Is Amir Khan the closest specimen the British Isles has to a pure boxer? This is more about clarification on the term pure boxer and other style names banded about. How would you classify Khan, and if we picked the most commented styles who is top of each currently fighting from the uk.

Please feel free to ask me to clear up any of that.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Doing something about it Empty Re: Doing something about it

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Sun 14 Dec - 1:56

Common not commented, my apologies.

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 14 Dec - 11:20

Morning Tea, as everyone else is busy being millionaires I'll answer for you and say hello (waving smiley)

As it stands Hunter looks like he's doing well but Ward is pure skill and Khan just needed a few rough bits ironing out (IMO) the true test will be if he brings a fighter or 2 from scratch up to world level and beyond.

I agree with you about Khan and he is an excellent boxer when he sticks to a gameplan and doesn't go toe to toe. If he had a chin I geuinely think we'd be talking about him in the same breath as Manny and Floyd.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 14 Dec - 11:42

Couple of good points mugs.

1. There was certainly a time when the rest of his stable were unravelling... Like Gonzalez against degale, where the jury was very much out on hunter. It still is to me, but he's managed to get khan to do what the world knew khan needed to do, but previous trainers hadn't been able to. So definitely some credit there. I like the fact that he was giving khan a bollocking to keep his concentration up.

2. Re khan and pure boxer. Clearly he has a pretty good range of offensive shots, and on last nights showing, a bit tighter defensively with decent economical footwork. I'm no boxing technician, someone like fingers would give a much better appraisal. What I will say is that sometimes it's assumed that someone with fast hands is a slick boxer, when in reality it's just the physical attributes that give that impression. Ali for example had technical flaws... But outboxed guys because of his speed. Its khans blistering handspeed that sets him apart. So I guess it depends whether a pure boxer is a master technician or just someone who can outbox people.

Leonard v heArns is an interesting example. Tommy could outbox ray... Was he a better pure boxer? Did he have faster hands? Moot point but he had that reach and jab.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Dec - 12:07

If you lose a boxing match by definition you've been outboxed. If that means you've cruised eleven rounds and got caught with a hail Mary... well it's not like you went in not understanding the rules.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 14 Dec - 13:54

Hello tea bag

Virgil Hunter is a very good trainer. Plenty of talent and is very methodical.

Khan is not a pure boxer. He is an athlete but a very limited one. Britain has produced far more real pure boxers in Froch, Bruno, and Pat Codwell.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 14 Dec - 14:25

Ok onetwo

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 14 Dec - 17:35

Froch is a pure boxer? I always thought of him as a face first type

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 14 Dec - 18:09

He's a face first pure boxer derby. Not in the league of Bruno Mars or pat cowbell.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 14 Dec - 20:16

'looking through shady eyes' cannot tell if Milky's taking the urine out of me or agreeing with me. Come to the conclusion it must be the lack of houses I own (Yes I'm never ever gonna shut up about your rich basterds)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Dec - 20:23

Nor should you, Derby. The proletarian uprising must continue unabated.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 14 Dec - 21:09

The landed gentry supporting the proletarian uprising. Who'd have thought it. It won't save you from the guillotine come the day of reckoning raf.

For the record I was taking the mick out of onethree's 'pure boxers' not you derby... Though I'm hoping his selections were tongue in cheek.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 14 Dec - 21:17

Kingraf's dad sounds like Trussy's father in law.

My old man cut off any financial assistance to me when I was 18. It was the making of me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sun 14 Dec - 21:34

Strongback wrote:Kingraf's dad sounds like Trussy's father in law.

My old man cut off any financial assistance to me when I was 18.  It was the making of me.
So he's to blame?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 14 Dec - 21:38

superflyweight wrote:
Strongback wrote:Kingraf's dad sounds like Trussy's father in law.

My old man cut off any financial assistance to me when I was 18.  It was the making of me.
So he's to blame?

“They fu*k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fu*ked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.”

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Dec - 21:47

I will always support the proletarian uprising if not financially, definitely ideologically Milky.

Funny enough, I've thought the same every time I've read Truss speak about his in law/safety net. I would say though, that he doesn't have a home in Marbella or Brussels... Just Madrid. In fairness to my proletarian credentials, my dad is hardly a billionaire, just got a little lucky. Happened to be living in Madrid when the property prices plummeted a bit in the mid to late eighties. Then came back in time to profit from the mid 90s fears which meant one could buy some prime land for the price of a ticket to Australia.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm pretty sure Onetwo's selections aren't tongue in cheek. His posting history suggests it's not so much a case of rating Froch et al as good pure boxers, and more him not thinking Khan is worth poopie.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Dec - 21:50

Also, I always thought tea is for cups and coffee is for mugs?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Dec - 21:52

Also, I always thought tea is for cups and coffee is for mugs?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 14 Dec - 21:56

I'm a mug

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 14 Dec - 22:46

kingraf wrote:I will always support the proletarian uprising if not financially, definitely ideologically Milky.

Funny enough, I've thought the same every time I've read Truss speak about his in law/safety net. I would say though, that he doesn't have a home in Marbella or Brussels... Just Madrid. In fairness to my proletarian credentials, my dad is hardly a billionaire, just got a little lucky. Happened to be living in Madrid when the property prices plummeted a bit in the mid to late eighties. Then came back in time to profit from the mid 90s fears which meant one could buy some prime land for the price of a ticket to Australia.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm pretty sure Onetwo's selections aren't tongue in cheek. His posting history suggests it's not so much a case of rating Froch et al as good pure boxers, and more him not thinking Khan is worth poopie.

Effin Silver-spooned rich boy. It's like having Eddie Hearn on the board. I've had to go round and batter rent out of people with a baseball bat, and pawn their last worldly belongings. I've evicted mothers with newly borns, when they wouldn't accept perfectly reasonable rent increase. All just to earn an honest crust and make sure my porsche was always the latest model... And mr bloody nepotism here, paints me as the bad guy!? Unbefekkinlievable.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum