The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa vs West Indies test Series

+11
ShankyCricket
Galted
Pal Joey
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
msp83
Biltong
KP_fan
VTR
freemo
kingraf
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

South Africa vs West Indies test Series  Empty South Africa vs West Indies test Series

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Dec - 11:14

Well, not much spoken of it here, and I suppose with good reason. The Windies are a shadow of their former selves. At full strength, it would be hard to make a case for them winning a game, but with both Bravos out, and Gayle out, I assume they're on a hiding to nothing.

Still though, Taylor and Roach should fancy themselves in the friendliest country for fast bowling, and Braithwaite and Chandepaul should at times provide resistance.

From a South African standpoint, Duminy is out, which gives Stiaan van Zyl a long awaited chance to prove his mettle.

South Africa likely XI
Elgar
Petersen
Amla
Du Plessis
AB de Villiers
De Kock
van Zyl
R. Peterson
Philander
Steyn
Morkel

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs West Indies test Series  Empty Re: South Africa vs West Indies test Series

Post by freemo Mon 15 Dec - 16:16

S.Africa to crush West Indies, with the series whitewash

freemo

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs West Indies test Series  Empty Re: South Africa vs West Indies test Series

Post by VTR Mon 15 Dec - 16:20

Well 15-20 years ago this would have been a marquee series, but I can't see anything beyond a miserable dismantling of a completely disinterested team.

It's this kind of thing that convinces me that Test Cricket is dying, there are only four places left where you would say it's viable, and a couple of those the numbers in the stadiums aren't great.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Dec - 16:23

They lost 5-0 fifteen years ago...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 15 Dec - 16:37

kingraf wrote:They lost 5-0 fifteen years ago...

Would still have been a keenly anticipated series, and Windies had some good and even great players back then, no-one would have expected that outcome before the series. If its a whitewash this time, who is going to be surprised?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Dec - 18:45

Mate, they've beaten us twice in 22 years. We're long past the point of a Windies win being anything but a surprise.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 15 Dec - 20:01

WI can surprise anyone any day in any form of game....they have fast bowlers and good spinners and good batters......they only lack team spirit and will to play tests
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 15 Dec - 20:05

Well yes, Windies were on a gradual decline from mid 90s, so since readmission were not competitive for long. But they were not a pushover until about 2000 where the decline became terminal.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Dec - 22:41

Why do we persist with Robin Peterson?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 16 Dec - 19:54

We literally have no one else mate.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 16 Dec - 20:03

What about that lad Pete? Looked good in Zimbabwe....... What about Harmer?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 16 Dec - 20:18

Dane Piedt is injured. He hasn't played any cricket since the Champions League. Not sure about Harmer... guess the selectors just don't like him.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 16 Dec - 20:25

Piedt did look promising, shame for him that he has to miss this series....... Harmer has, by his record, been doing well in domestic cricket, the guy can bat as well, and he's young too. West Indies isn't the most feared international side in the world at present, could have been a good time to get him involved.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 16 Dec - 20:36

Watched a Lara interview about fifteen minutes ago. The situation in the Windies looks pretty bleak. Really don't think they'll ever come back. Can't blame the players, really. Five days is torturous on the body, and pays peanuts in the Windies. I assume all formats pay awfully, but at least the abbreviated formats give you a chance to sell yourself to one of the pop up competitions. Can't blame the fans. There is no honour in watching your team get slaughtered over five days repeatedly for the best part of a decade. And I suppose for all their bumbling ineptitude, you can't really blame them for being in a region which lacks the capital, both fiscally and in terms of populous, to challenge consistently.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 17 Dec - 11:21

WI had a great start getting SA down to 50 odd for 3......but somewhere fairly soon WI will lose steam and SA cover the ground
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Dec - 11:35

KP_fan wrote:WI had a great start getting SA down to 50 odd for 3......but somewhere fairly soon WI will lose steam and SA cover the ground

Yes, however well the West Indies do for a time during a Test these days you sense that there's nearly always a nightmare session just waiting round the corner for them. A sad state of affairs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 17 Dec - 12:30

Windies always seem capable of getting a side 3 or 4 down for a decent score, but then let the middle and even lower order run away with it. I think it has something to do with the bowlers lacking the fitness to bowl more than short explosive spells which are more suited to limited overs cricket.

But as kingraf says, given the rewards of offer in the IPL, Big Bash etc, you can't really blame them

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Dec - 13:22

It isn't hard to get the first few wickets of the Proteas.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 17 Dec - 13:37

Biltong wrote:It isn't hard to get the first few wickets of the Proteas.

Laugh Are they that bad though. Petersen seems to get the odd decent score, I thought Elgar and Du Plessis have done pretty well. But I don't follow SA that closely so open to being convinced otherwise.

I'd rather leave them in than have to bowl to Amla and AB anyway!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 17 Dec - 13:46

Alviro has been on borrowed time for two years now, Elgar has a little more time to prove himself, but neither of these two are anywhere near the class of Graeme Smith.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 17 Dec - 14:28

now 256-3....ABDV gets a 100 and SA going merrily at 4RPO
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 17 Dec - 17:36

57 for 1, 57 for 2, 57 for 3, and then AB and Amla!. Roach picked up a couple of wickets, but the WI bowling unit has produced nothing special otherwise. Whenever they get an opportunity, will someone stand up to be counted in the West Indies batting lineup?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 17 Dec - 18:01

KP_fan wrote:WI had a great start getting SA down to 50 odd for 3......but somewhere fairly soon WI will lose steam and SA cover the ground

Not a difficult prediction - but a very accurate one as SA close on 340 for 3.  Partnership approaching 300!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Dec - 20:10

Watched this at the ground, so I didn't want to comment until I'd seen it on the telly, to see a few things.

Great day for us obviously, but the first session was pretty tight, and Roach clipped Amla's off stump without dislodging the bail, which was fortunate. Overall, a poor day for the Windies, and their best shot at doing anything in this series went down, so they're up against it.

I will say, though, that the overall state for the Windies isn't too bad. Talking over with a mate if they managed to field a top seven like
Gayle
Brathwaite
Bravo
Samuels
Chandepaul
Pollard?
Ramdin

and then a guy like the left armer they had bowling today, who has decent pace and swings it gets more four day experience, and Roach open the bowling. Get Benn to be your spinner, and find a third seamer who doesn't go at four an over, then suddenly they have a decent test team.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 17 Dec - 20:31

kingraf wrote:
I will say, though, that the overall state for the Windies isn't too bad. Talking over with a mate if they managed to field a top seven like
Gayle
Brathwaite
Bravo
Samuels
Chandepaul
Pollard?
Ramdin

and then a guy like the left armer they had bowling today, who has decent pace and swings it gets more four day experience, and Roach open the bowling. Get Benn to be your spinner, and find a third seamer who doesn't go at four an over, then suddenly they have a decent test team.

i wrote the following on 15th Dec on this thread....reposting

KPF wrote:WI can surprise anyone any day in any form of game....they have fast bowlers and good spinners and good batters......they only lack team spirit and will to play tests
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 18 Dec - 10:08

Van Zyl on debut cannot get a better platform to start....with little pressure and a tired un-inspired bowling attack.

a look at his FC record shows...he is a vetrean of 96 games and been around for some time....this being his 9th season.....

SA's middle order selections have been a bit muddled...I see there is no JP Duminy again
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 18 Dec - 11:18

Duminy is injured
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 18 Dec - 11:21

Amla dropped on 181
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 18 Dec - 11:40

Can anyone see Raf at the ground?

Keep an eye out for a constantly smiling Jimi Hendrix lookalike surrounded by chics having a great time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 18 Dec - 11:43

What do the chicks look like Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 18 Dec - 12:20

Amla goes....poor effort ( to have missed the triple Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 18 Dec - 12:50

Biltong wrote:What do the chicks look like Whistle

Hot no doubt... we'll have to ask him.

Happy with the declaration, Biltong? That's a massive total.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 18 Dec - 12:53

Yes good declaration, but tomorrow and Sunday will be wet, so we will have to make hay when the sun shines.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 18 Dec - 15:45

LD - That's where you went wrong, mate. Watched the game with some gents today. We were light on the hot chicks.

Decent day's cricket. The Windies are being totalled though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 18 Dec - 19:45

Oh... sorry to hear. Maybe at the shorter formats?

Yes, they were totally totalled. I suppose even the rain won't help them now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 18 Dec - 19:47

Bloody hell, chaps, at least give them the chance to bat before you write the obits.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 18 Dec - 19:52

Already gone to print, mate.
They (literally) have no chance against the world's 2nd best bowling attack.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 18 Dec - 19:57

Think the weather kept them away. There's generally a large number of women at Test matches. I genuinely think they are just there to tan... I mean, they're barely wearing anything while they're there!!

I expect them to put up a fight in at least one of the innings. Bathwaite is an exciting young talent. Marlon Samuels, for me, is as talented as any batter in the world, just hasn't had the right voices in his ear directing him, and of course Chandepaul is a modern great. They aren't a complete write off, but I think they just lack the overall quality for this not to end in a demolition job.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 18 Dec - 20:13

Nothing a triple century won't fix. South Africa can be a bit flat after the first 15-20 overs, wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one huge partnership for the West Indies.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 19 Dec - 9:56

Woke up in time to catch the perceived drama with DRS. Think it's time the ICC has a drive educating people. Commentators are screaming blue murder, and I'm not sure why.

Is Smith out? Maybe, maybe not, but it's clear as day why the umpire has given that out. TV has a missing frame, so umpires would know it's possible for the sound to appear past the bat. Umpires then look at a few things (as was explained to me) -

What's close to the ball? In this case it was the bat
- If there was an edge in the missing frame, it's not foreign for the sound to appear in the next snicko frame, but further down the graph, which was the case in this particular dismissal.

I have no idea if he actually edged it or not, but I understand why it's been given. Anyway I'm off.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 19 Dec - 10:24

Should the benefit of doubt not go to the batsman?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 19 Dec - 10:29

Biltong wrote:Should the benefit of doubt not go to the batsman?

Yeah.
Thank God Bryce Lawrence wasn't the 3rd umpire... not that it would have mattered very much. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 19 Dec - 10:46

To be honest, I don't know how they choose who gets benefit anymore. I suspect the umpire just goes with his gut now
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 19 Dec - 11:23

The Loaded Dog wrote:
Biltong wrote:Should the benefit of doubt not go to the batsman?

Yeah.
Thank God Bryce Lawrence wasn't the 3rd umpire... not that it would have mattered very much. Wink

Brycie likes to be at the coalface, that is where he can generate the most damage Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 19 Dec - 11:31

Imagine Bryce and Billy Bowden... with Steve Walsh as the 3rd umpire. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 19 Dec - 12:18

Devon Smith - the Frank Sinatra of cricket!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 19 Dec - 13:59

Steve Walsh won't be impressed with sitting in the Box
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 19 Dec - 14:07

Dreadful effort from Windies. 77-0 to 201 ao, batted for 60 overs in total.

Sadly this is about a par performance for them these days

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 19 Dec - 15:19

guildfordbat wrote:

Yes, however well the West Indies do for a time during a Test these days you sense that there's nearly always a nightmare session just waiting round the corner for them. A sad state of affairs.

VTR - dreadful as you say but I think we all saw it coming. No psychic powers claimed by KP_fan or myself.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 20 Dec - 14:30

So basically, Dale Steyn woke up with that look in his eyes... Absolutely nothing the Windies could have done to avoid the dismantling.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next