The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia?

+23
break_in_the_fifth
naxroy
Henman Bill
temporary21
Calder106
Johnyjeep
DirectView2
Jahu
TRuffin
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
HM Murdock
sirfredperry
socal1976
kingraf
summerblues
LuvSports!
Haddie-nuff
It Must Be Love
Silver
bogbrush
Gerry SA
hawkeye
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia? - Page 3 Empty Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia?

Post by hawkeye Sun 11 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Federer is being hailed as a favorite for Australia. But to put it bluntly however well Federer plays against other players he has a bit of a problem and his name is Nadal. Of course this year Nadal is just returning from injury and may be a little rusty. But if both players make it far enough to face each other can Roger beat Rafa in Australia? Or are Rogers chances dependent on someone else doing his work for him?

Last edited by hawkeye on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : title went weird)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia? - Page 3 Empty Re: Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia?

Post by LuvSports! Tue 13 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

A lot of Feds poor '13 was down to his back though.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia? - Page 3 Empty Re: Can Roger Beat Rafa In Australia?

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 15 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

The only interesting thing about Nadal's game is whether or not Federer can beat it.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 15 Jan 2015, 8:11 pm

Thats true of Federer's game ..only thing interesting is to see if he CAN beat Nadal 's... Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 23 Jan 2015, 8:41 am

No.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 9:00 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:No.

How sure are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 23 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

The real question was: can Roger beat Andreas Seppi in Australia? The answer is no-no. Seppi is just a little better. Roger chances depended on someone else doing his work for him but nobody turned out and Roger had to do all the work by himself. Roger went out. Seppi is the GOAT.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:16 am

Can Roger beat Rafa in Australia?  Well, we've got to wait for at least another year to find out but my guess is that whatever your opinion is, we'll never actually see the two of them play against each other there again given that it requires both to get through to Q/F - S/F stage which is increasingly becoming beyond Federer

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

Surely the answer is then, "I guess we'll never know"?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 23 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

kingraf wrote:Surely the answer is then, "I guess we'll never know"?

Yes we will never know...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 4:35 pm

So the question has become irrelevant now, I did predict both would not reach thus far, lets see how Rafa handles his QF against Berdych.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 10:49 am

DirectView2 wrote:So the question has become irrelevant now, I did predict both would not reach thus far, lets see how Rafa handles his QF against Berdych.

I like Berdy's chances frankly. If Nadal is off form Tomas can really trouble him because he can handle the spin with his height and take time away with his big flat shots.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 10:58 am

socal1976 wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:So the question has become irrelevant now, I did predict both would not reach thus far, lets see how Rafa handles his QF against Berdych.

I like Berdy's chances frankly. If Nadal is off form Tomas can really trouble him because he can handle the spin with his height and take time away with his big flat shots.

A lot could depend on how Rafa deals with Anderson. If he can dismiss him in straight sets in around two hours or less then it boosts confidence and keeps some energy in the tank but a long drawn out four or five setter and a quick win for Berdych then you'd have to give the Czech a big chance.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:00 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

A lot could depend on how Rafa deals with Anderson. If he can dismiss him in straight sets in around two hours or less then it boosts confidence and keeps some energy in the tank but a long drawn out four or five setter and a quick win for Berdych then you'd have to give the Czech a big chance.

You get a feeling though that Berdy needs this win and needs to do something this AO if he has any hopes of matching what Cilic and Wawrinka now have done. He has to make a push and will be in better form and have more hunger. Yes if Rafa plays a grinder with Anderson it could take his legs out as he hasn't had a lot of time to get match fit.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:03 am

Granted but Berdych has had reason to be hungry for ages now and not been able to use that hunger to inspire him to big wins. Also lets not downplay how hungry Rafa will be as he has had a few months out, missing a slam and eager to re-impose himself on the tennis circuit.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

Well you never know Craig Goran got his at 29 maybe its finally this dog's day. If he can get by Rafa and someone else takes out Novak he will be in it. He just never seems to do very well against Novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:09 am

socal1976 wrote:Well you never know Craig Goran got his at 29 maybe its finally this dog's day. If he can get by Rafa and someone else takes out Novak he will be in it. He just never seems to do very well against Novak.

Oh I am not ruling him out but a few things lead me to believe he will end his career slamless. Sure he is a threat to all of the top players but even if he beats a top player he always seems to lose the following match - back-to-back big match wins are key for you to win slams. Also there are certainly times when, at key moments, he gets mentally flaky. Don't get me wrong - a great player but I doubt he will ever win that slam.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:21 am

I think Berdych will end slamless too. He can take anyone out on his day, but never backs it up. His game is so solid, but he lacks that X factor for me. With the old top 4, you would watch them in big matches and say to yourself 'how did they win that point?' A number of times. You never utter those words about Berdych.

He doesn't have the movement or imagination to pull something off on the back foot in an important moment. He's functional. He would have to have a very fortunate draw to end with a slam in my opinion.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:31 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I think Berdych will end slamless too. He can take anyone out on his day, but never backs it up. His game is so solid, but he lacks that X factor for me. With the old top 4, you would watch them in big matches and say to yourself 'how did they win that point?' A number of times. You never utter those words about Berdych.

He doesn't have the movement or imagination to pull something off on the back foot in an important moment. He's functional. He would have to have a very fortunate draw to end with a slam in my opinion.

Yes I pretty much agree with that. He is the type that could knock out Roger or Andy in a Quarter but lose the semi against a player he should beat. That isn't a trait of slam winners.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:42 am

So now everyone is wondering if Roger won't be there to beat Rafa who will?

socal1976 wrote:Yes if Rafa plays a grinder with Anderson it could take his legs out as he hasn't had a lot of time to get match fit.

Whatever happens in that match I doubt very much whether it will be a "grinder".

CaledonianCraig wrote:

He is the type that could knock out Roger or Andy in a Quarter but lose the semi against a player he should beat. That isn't a trait of slam winners.

Berdych could win a slam with a "draw opening up" in a similar way to how Murray or Cilic or Wawrinka won theirs. He got very close in last years US.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:55 am

To answer your question HE, Djokovic for certain has the best chance to beat Rafa.

Murray has a small chance.

The rest no chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

Hmm I  sat here pondering how the draw opened up for Murray when he beat the world No.1 in both his finals. That being the case can we say the same for each slam Fed and Rafa have won not beating the world No.1?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:19 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:To answer your question HE, Djokovic for certain has the best chance to beat Rafa.

The rest no chance.

That wasn't my question. My question was about the anticipated FEDAL semi Crying or Very sad Others appear to have moved on...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:48 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmm I  sat here pondering how the draw opened up for Murray when he beat the world No.1 in both his finals. That being the case can we say the same for each slam Fed and Rafa have won not beating the world No.1?

Don't bite Craig, that was her intention when she wrote it.

As for who can beat Rafa, well the more matches he plays the stronger he will get. That incremental improvement could see him reach the final, but in my opinion he is miles off the level required to beat Novak. I don't think Rafa has a chance unless someone beats Novak for him.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:00 pm

I know Danny and she never has a comeback when her theory has been blown out if the water and then three months later at RG she will roll it out again.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:04 pm

hawkeye wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:To answer your question HE, Djokovic for certain has the best chance to beat Rafa.

The rest no chance.

That wasn't my question. My question was about the anticipated FEDAL semi Crying or Very sad Others appear to have moved on...

Really?

So you didn't ask who could beat Rafa now Federer isn't there?

chin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmm I  sat here pondering how the draw opened up for Murray when he beat the world No.1 in both his finals. That being the case can we say the same for each slam Fed and Rafa have won not beating the world No.1?

Well beating a world number 1 isn't the same as beating Federer or Nadal apparently Wink

Must be lucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm

I still await someone to tell me how many multiple slam winners have won all of their slams beating the world No.1. It had Gerry stumped and no doubt hawkeye will have one of her convenient bouts amnesia.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:48 pm

Well it's a bit difficult to beat the number 1 player when you are the number 1 player. Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

No there are many slams Roger and Rafa have won when not No.1. There very first for a start were in finals against much lower ranked opponents.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 24 Jan 2015, 2:26 pm

Have a look at who's Murray has had to play in semis and finals for the last 5 years or so; mainly Nadal, Federer, Djokovic.
He has not had it easy; and he won 2 slams playing Djokovic in the final.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 24 Jan 2015, 2:32 pm

If Nadal had stopped at two, he would have been one. Heck if he stopped at five he would have been one.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 2:37 pm

I actually think IF Berdy and Rafa meet which isnt close to a gimme yet, then Berdych would take him quite easily at the moment. If hes gonna win this open though, I think Stans gonna have to beat a nigh on invincible looking Novak for it.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

temporary21 wrote:I actually think IF Berdy and Rafa meet which isnt close to a gimme yet, then Berdych would take him quite easily at the moment. If hes gonna win this open though, I think Stans gonna have to beat a nigh on invincible looking Novak for it.

Whilst the outcome may well be as you predict....EASY?? Im not so sure about that. Rafa whatever his form never gives anything up easily !!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 24 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

I'd say Berdych has a very good chance of winning that QF...if he makes it.

But Falzy is right, if he meets Novak in the final then he has literally zero chance of winning. He needs Stan or Kei to do him a favour.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jan 2015, 3:14 pm

Yeah he needs some favours alright !!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

I'd be surprised if Berdy done over Rafa.

Your looking for a Soderling-esq performance on that one give the very limits of his game.

He'll need 45+ winners at least!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jan 2015, 5:04 pm

Thats if he doesnt choke!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

Exactly!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3