The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu?

3 posters

Go down

Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu? Empty Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu?

Post by Driver Mon 12 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm

Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu? 128548

I'm sure everyone in assotiation with the red rose has seen that Sam Burgess is set to don the 13 jersey for the Saxons at the end of the month.

This made me wonder the question ''Is Sam Burgess being used to cover Manu Tuilagi in a injury?''

I weighed up the options and looked at who Lancaster has deployed in the 13 jersey since he's reign as England coach began back in 2012. It started off with Saracens Brad Barritt in the win at Murryfield and most recently the same man filled the jersey.

Barritt by most people's admissions lacks the skills of a Jonathan Joseph , Henry Trinder , George Lowe who are all viewed as more flair players and ball playing backs. But asides from being a rock in the defense one outstanding quality Barritt brings is when he takes the ball to the line he hits it up pretty hard and usually gets 2/3 metres over the gainline.

Spot the trend? Tuilagi fits the bill perfectly.

So with Manu Tuilagi tending to become more injury prone as the years go by due to his physical style of play i wonder if SL sees Slammin Sam as the man with the most similer impact as Manu Tuilagi in the 13 jersey and is planning to groom him into a injury cover option rather than take advantage of his many other great skills such as his quick feet and slight hands.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu? Empty Re: Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu?

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 13 Jan 2015, 12:40 pm

Very unlikely I think, too much still to learn.

He has a ready made replacement in Burrell anyway so why risk it. Against Italy maybe with Burrell on the bench in case it comes badly wrong, but I suspect the other 6N teams would carve him up something aweful in attack, positioning, line speed and covering the drift are all things he still needs to master and he has being playing 12, very different from 13.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu? Empty Re: Is Slammin being lined up to cover Manu?

Post by Cumbrian Tue 13 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

England have so many potential outside centres to choose from, it would deeply frustrate me if they pick a guy who has barely played half a dozen first team matches. That is from a league loving northerner too!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down