The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title

+12
kingraf
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
hazharrison
AdamT
Strongback
Coxy001
jimdig
AlexHuckerby
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title Empty Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:14 am

Is anyone particularly excited for this?

I'm personally not, as we found out last time, Cotto doesn't have enough for Floyd although is off the back off a technically great win that made him the lineal Middleweight champion, surely flatters him as Martinez looked finished to me. Floyd in comparison is off the back of one rather poor performance and one good performance against Maidana that made Floyd look slightly more vulnerable.

Has THAT much changed to make this fight a bit of a nailbiter? Can't see it personally.

If Floyd does fight at 160lbs I can guarantee the second highest viewings rated fighter on HBO (Golovkin) won't get a look in for that supposedly lineal title.

Would prefer him to face Khan, Manny or Thurman.

Bradley, Garcia etc. are all too slow or don't have the physical strength to overpower Floyd despite perhaps having better CV's to do so other than Manny you just look at those fights and just think it's pointless as they can't win.

Not excited but it sounds like it will more than likely be made especially with no Cotto/Canelo it seems.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title Empty Re: Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title

Post by jimdig Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:49 am

I'm not sure that cotto v mayweather can go ahead for business reasons. If it was announced it would be on showtime, 2nd may. Mayweather would be looking for is $32 million + gate & ppv split. Cotto won't come cheap and will be looking for a lot more than Guerrero, Maidana types, let's say 8 million, and ppv and gate split. 

Showtime would lose their shirt putting cotto v mayweather on because Canelo v Kirkland a dead cert of an action fight, involving a Mexican on Mexican independence day free to air on the much wider circulating hbo will cream any showtime card not titled "floyd v manny"

Yeah I'm not that interested in cotto v mayweather either, it's not a terrible fight. But floyd only has a handful left, I'd prefer to see something new.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title Empty Re: Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title

Post by Coxy001 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:12 am

Hang on little one, lets just wait and see if the Pacquiao fight gets made first of all.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/378781-mayweather-pacquiao-had-friendly-conversation-at-heat-game

Now I know we all love mind games, who "won the first round" before they stepped in to the ring. But it's clear for all and sundry that Manny is absolutely Poopie himself and in no way shape or form wants to fight Mayweather.

Isn't it superbowl this weekend? I've heard a very sly rumour that they're going to announce it at the half time show

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:16 am

Whoever Mayweather fights it won't be a risk.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:25 am

Strongback wrote:Whoever Mayweather fights it won't be a risk.

Wlad?

Some would lead you to believe that Khan is the new Whitaker as well.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:41 am

Mayweather is fighting Manny. They met at a basketball game. After they talked, both shook hands and went their own way.

They haven't announced the fight because they want us to think it is not going to happen, then at the last minute they drop the bombshell. They are trying to build even more drama.

Fight is going to happen.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:54 am

They haven't announced the fight because they want us to think it is not going to happen

Well for the last 5 years they've been doing a bloody good job of it.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:57 am

Coxy001 wrote:
They haven't announced the fight because they want us to think it is not going to happen

Well for the last 5 years they've been doing a bloody good job of it.

It is only now the fight is being realistic. I do believe Floyd and Manny wanted the fight but greed and power struggles have got in the way. The fight is 4 or 5 years late but it is still very relevant.

I just hope I am right and the finally sign to fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:14 am

Floyd will fight Cotto and Pacquiao will fight Jesse Vargas.

They'll probably fight after they've both slipped a bit more and milk the remnants of a once great fight for all its worth.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:15 am

hazharrison wrote:Floyd will fight Cotto and Pacquiao will fight Jesse Vargas.

They'll probably fight after they've both slipped a bit more and milk the remnants of a once great fight for all its worth.

I hope you are wrong Haz. Time will tell.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

AdamT wrote:

If it doesn't get announced during the superbowl then give it up Adam, I do admire your confidence though.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:24 am

Can't believe after all those years talking about it on beeb 606, 6 years later we still debating will it/wont it happen..

Mayweather is a (unt

Wonder how many times Duran would've fought Pacquiao ??

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:24 am

Coxy001 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

If it doesn't get announced during the superbowl then give it up Adam, I do admire your confidence though.

Just think it is now or never. People say September but that is very risky. Cotto is no mug and with the right gameplan he could upset Mayweather. The fight is late but I still want to see it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:25 am

Rodney wrote:Can't believe after all those years talking about it on beeb 606, 6 years later we still debating will it/wont it happen..

Mayweather is a (unt

Cheers, Rodders

Once because he would of smashed him and Manny wouldn't want a rematch.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:30 am

AdamT wrote:
Rodney wrote:Can't believe after all those years talking about it on beeb 606, 6 years later we still debating will it/wont it happen..

Mayweather is a (unt

Cheers, Rodders

One more than Mayweather wouldve fought him then.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:37 am

Can you imagine if Nadal refused to play against Federer for six years?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:37 am

Rodney wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Mayweather is a (unt

Cheers, Rodders

One more than Mayweather wouldve fought him then.

Cheers, Rodders

Yeah so it may seem. Pacquiao has no blame what so ever for the Mayweather fight not happening.

Floyd is a coward and Pacquaio would put him away within 3 rounds.

Smart move by Floyd avoiding Manny. If he had of fought him then Manny would of destroyed him, so Floyd would never have got that Showtime contract.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:37 am

DAVE667 wrote:Can you imagine if Nadal refused to play against Federer for six years?

Yeah be a bit s..t. Oh well pity Floyd has no b..s

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

A superfeather is fighting for the second best title in Boxing the middleweight title !!!

Something one person has probably done in 140 years..

and he's a coward...

Listen to yourselves...Pathetic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

He is afraid of Manny Tuss.

Manny would beat the fab 4 in the same night while Mayweather would duck and dodge everybody. He is a coward and Manny is a killer.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:33 pm

Is he f**k

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Is he f**k

Yeah I know, sarcasm Truss!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:A superfeather is fighting for the second best title in Boxing the middleweight title !!!

Something one person has probably done in 140 years..

and he's a coward...

Listen to yourselves...Pathetic..

Didn't realise he was fighting the best middleweight in Gennady Golovkin...... Can you imagine what Golovkin would have done to a shot Martinez? It would have been bad...

Cotto is not the best in the division, regardless of whether he holds the lineal belt.

Mayweather already beat Cotto, so what is the point in fighting again? Hope they boycott it

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

Only today can a super feather win a middle title or attempt to and be hammered for it..

Laughable...

Wonder how many Brits have tried winning a belt 30 pounds up from there first ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Only today can a super feather win a middle title or attempt to and be hammered for it..

Laughable...

Wonder how many Brits have tried winning a belt 30 pounds up from there first ??

None because, they are not good enough. Floyd is head and shoulders above the best Brits. Funny how guys on here slag floyd but probably think J Calzaghe is the man. He was manufactured as f..k for most of his career.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:48 pm

AdamT wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Only today can a super feather win a middle title or attempt to and be hammered for it..

Laughable...

None because, they are not good enough. Floyd is head and shoulders above the best Brits. Funny how guys on here slag floyd but probably think J Calzaghe is the man. He was manufactured as f..k for most of his career.

Who? Or are you making sh1t up?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

Can't remember people in particular but have definitley seen some members talk up Joe as a genuine atg, which is laughable.

If Floyd is struggling to be an atg, then frankly Joe isn't even in the converstion. Don't get me wrong, joe is an excellant fighter but he was very carefully managed. Only took real risks when he was at the tail end of his career.

It is pretty sad because he was a real talented fighter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:06 pm

I've never seen anyone try to put Calzaghe and Mayweather in the same bracket and anyone doing so is an idiot.

As for another fight between Floyd and Cotto, I think people have a valid point when questioning its merits and what it really adds to Floyd's legacy.  Floyd's beaten Cotto and the lineal title or not, the fight won't determine who the best middleweight on the planet is.  

Of course, Floyd has no obligation to take career defining fights, but the flipside of that is that he and his hardcore fans can't expect everyone to bow before his record and accept it without question or caveats.

P.S. before I'm accused of being a hater, I have Floyd around the edges of the top 10.

Last edited by superflyweight on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stupid bloody instinct to put an apostophe where it has no business being.)

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:08 pm

superflyweight wrote:I've never seen anyone try to put Calzaghe and Mayweather in the same bracket and anyone doing so is an idiot.

As for another fight between Floyd and Cotto, I think people have a valid point when questioning it's merits and what it really adds to Floyd's legacy.  Floyd's beaten Cotto and the lineal title or not, the fight won't determine who the best middleweight on the planet is.  

Of course, Floyd has no obligation to take career defining fights, but the flipside of that is that he and his hardcore fans can't expect everyone to bow before his record and accept it without question or caveats.

P.S. before I'm accused of being a hater, I have Floyd around the edges of the top 10.    

He will Fight Manny, maybe I'm being naive but I think it will happen.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

So Floyd can duck Manny but rematch Cotto and TRUSS justifies it. Incredible yet wholly unsurprising. Only thing worse would be Floyd petitioning the courts to declare Jermaine Taylor fit to fight him claiming that as he waved a gun in the faces of his family members, Taylor "legitimately" becomes the biggest threat Floyd's ever faced

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

DAVE667 wrote:So Floyd can duck Manny but rematch Cotto and TRUSS justifies it. Incredible yet wholly unsurprising. Only thing worse would be Floyd petitioning the courts to declare Jermaine Taylor fit to fight him claiming that as he waved a gun in the faces of his family members, Taylor "legitimately" becomes the biggest threat Floyd's ever faced

I'm a Floyd fan and I don't justify it. Though I am getting a strange feeling it is not all down to floyd.

Tbh Dave if they don't fight they can both f..k off for all I care.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

They can both f*ck off right now

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:They can both f*ck off right now

Yeah it consumes everything to do with boxing.

Think I wil just sit back and look forward to McGregor vs Aldo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:29 pm

Unless this has actually been signed, thread seems a bit pointless (no offence, Alex).

It's been discussed. We'll all know it's a cack fight (bar a couple of Flomo's trying to big it up with the usual nonesense) and that it further evidences a lack of inclination from Floyd to fight Pac.

Only interesting angle is if this is all smoke and mirrors and Cotto has been paid to step-aside from Canelo/CincodeMayo so as not to challenge a giant Manny-Floyd PPV.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:32 pm

To be fair, I'm a big fan of fighters in the "Light" division challenging for the fully fledged title. It's a boring as sin clash, and I don't particularly care even if Cotto comes to play (he might, you know. Came closish in the first one, lessons learnt, bigger weight, older Floyd... things could happen), I'd be contradicting myself somewhat if I objected to this fight. With that said, it's a farce that Floyd is still the 154 champ because he beat a Welterweight, who has been a welterweight for a while in a fight at welterweight. Only boxing
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

Laughable...

But it's ok for you the 'hammer' Manny for doing it.....??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 2:45 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Laughable...

What ????????????????????????????????????

Geez..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Laughable...

What ????????????????????????????????????

Geez..

You don't credit Manny much for the same achievement, if anything you try to degrade with comments about catchweights and PED rumours.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

Manny is in my Top 20........

I don't buy his power...........But until he's proven a cheat he's in the my Top 20 !!!!!..

You really should read properly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

Mine too, as is Floyd.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Mine too, as is Floyd.

Strongy has fifty fighters ahead of both of them....

I'd love him to tell us who one day !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

Funny they are both in mine as well but we still fight over them ha.

Manny is a wonderful fighter and seems a decent guy. Just think Floyd is that we bit more special.

Though if people think Manny was better 5 years ago that is certainly a valid argument. I would of had it 60-40 Floyd then and now maybe 80-20.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm

In fairness he came out 11 when averaged out on a 606 thread.....

Only one spoon has him 50...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness he came out 11 when averaged out on a 606 thread.....

He is my top ten and if Manny didn't have struggles with Marquez he would be close to ten. He is probably just about 20 for me. Great fighter though. I am a fan of Floyds skills as I believe he is a once in a life time genuis.

I know I have put the boot into Manny at times but a lot of it is tongue and cheek and a bit of Wum. I respect the hell out of Manny, just think Floyd is a bit better. (I could be wrong)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:33 pm

AdamT wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness he came out 11 when averaged out on a 606 thread.....

He is my top ten and if Manny didn't have struggles with Marquez he would be close to ten. He is probably just about 20 for me. Great fighter though. I am a fan of Floyds skills as I believe he is a once in a life time genuis.

I know I have put the boot into Manny at times but a lot of it is tongue and cheek and a bit of Wum. I respect the hell out of Manny, just think Floyd is a bit better. (I could be wrong)

I don't mark Manny down for my suspicions about him basically because I suspect there are shed loads at it.....To varying degrees !!...

Morales and the fact I've given JMM three out of four is holding him back a little.............But I imagine he's nearer to 15 than 20 in my list If I could be bothered compiling..

A great fighter...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:35 pm

Just not as great as Floyd at least in my opinion.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:55 pm

What would Floyd set the catch weight at 148lbs?

Floyd's head and especially his forehead is expanding at a rate of knots as evidenced by the photo with Manny.

He's going to end up looking like this if he isn't careful:

Mayweather Vs Cotto 2 - For The Lineal MW Title Dd71d5e4e4d55cf9ba6733cc6c75bdca46596aad

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

AdamT wrote:Just not as great as Floyd at least in my opinion.

Ignore the tiresome idiot......

Yes Adam ...Think most people have Floyd above Manny..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I couldn't be the fan boy of a fighter that beats women and children. I suppose we all have different standards.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:00 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I couldn't be the fan boy of a fighter that beats women and children.  I suppose we all have different standards.

Yep...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next