The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane?

+8
hampo17
Hero
NickisBHAFC
Dolphin Ziggler
owen10ozzy
Duty281
Fernando
VDT
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane? Empty V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane?

Post by VDT Fri 13 Feb 2015, 12:03 am

This week, the lads ask 2 big questions (1) How good is Harry Kane and (2) Are Man Utd rubbish?

also discuss the latest goings on at Leicester, QPR and Aston Villa.

Current Champion Shane takes on the role of question master in another exciting game of Son of the Pitch.

V2 Journal
http://v2journal.com/38/post/2015/02/v2-football-podcast-should-england-build-the-team-around-harry-kane.html

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/v2football/should-england-build-the-team-around-harry-kane

Checkout our website - www.v2journal.com/football.html

Please follow us - @v2football and search V2 Football on Facebook thumbsup
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane? Empty Re: V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane?

Post by Fernando Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:40 pm

Build a team around Harry Kane

picard

England fans never learn do they. 1st it was Rooney then it was Wilshere then Walcott then Sterling then Townsend then Barkley now Kane

It seems every time someone has a purple patch we feel the need to build a team around them.

If teams were built around 1 player Portugal would be doing a lot better then they are. It's about build a team with Kane/Rooney/Sterling/Barkley etc rather then 1 player.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane? Empty Re: V2 Football Podcast - Should England build the team around Harry Kane?

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:46 pm

How about we keep calm about the hype around Harry Kane, bearing in mind he has only been this wonderful for two months?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Feb 2015, 2:47 pm

embarrassing all this Kane stuff. No doubt, when he scores vs minnows like Lithuania, it will get worse. Great talent, nothing more at this stage.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 13 Feb 2015, 3:24 pm

Cheers for the listen chaps;

As your aware, think the consensus amongst us on the podcast was, yes get excited about him but frek building a team around him.

For me you build a system which is suitable for the players you have, it's then the players responsibility to perform in that system...if they dont, they dont get selected simple as that. Would stop this embarassing english trait of squeezing in players in positions they dont fit just for names sake, regardless of how tosh they are playing.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 13 Feb 2015, 3:33 pm

Here's a question to answer for next week (haven't listen i was going in general Laugh)

Would you play Rooney is midfield now like he does at United leaving more space for Kane & Sturridge/Barkley up top.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Feb 2015, 3:59 pm

No, because Barkley isnt good enough for england yet, kane is unproven, not going to be proven either against lithuania types & sturridge is injury prone & a poor finisher, as the wc proved.

so you'd want this (front three behind kane can rotate)

-----------henderson----rooney------------
walcott-----------sterling----------sturridge--
--------------------kane-----------------------

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 13 Feb 2015, 4:11 pm

I'd much prefer the England team to learn flexibility in set up. No definite formation that England play that we always stick to.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 14 Feb 2015, 7:17 am

People really don't want Kane to succeed do they, when the goals dry up (which I hope they don't) people will get the pitch forks out. I also want him to do well as he doesn't come across like a bel*end like some players. Cough Whilshere cough.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 14 Feb 2015, 7:44 am

Do we not moan every time a player is picked purely on reputation despite being in a rut of form whilst other players are playing out of their skin and get overlooked?
Here's a player who's currently on fire, only Messi in all the top leagues in Europe has more goals since the start of the year. Sure that form may and probably will wane but as it stands he is THE best English striker option we have. I'd have him as the spearhead of an attack with Rooney/Sterling/Sturridge behind (Sturridge once 100% fit, until then Welbeck).

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 14 Feb 2015, 8:55 am

People just love to moan unfortunately mate. If we win the World Cup, sure people will find a way to winge.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 9:03 am

Did anyone actually listen before jumping on the title of the thread Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Feb 2015, 9:16 am

NickisBHAFC wrote:People just love to moan unfortunately mate. If we win the World Cup, sure people will find a way to winge.

Let go of that if, Nick.

Good luck to Kane. Terrific season thus far.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 14 Feb 2015, 1:22 pm

Obviously it's never ever going to happen. Just saying if it did people would still find a way to moan!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 1:28 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:People really don't want Kane to succeed do they

No, it's realism.

Two months do not make a player world-class. Not even one fantastic season makes a player world-class (yes, that means you, Gareth Bale).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

I know people go on about him having no weaknesses, but he will have, time & watching him closely will unearth something & that's when teams nullify your threat. Happens in all sports, only the truly elite stars can overcome increased attention & marking. Interesting to see how Kane is fairing in a month or so or indeed next season, when the new kid in the block surprise has worn off.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:08 pm

Duty281 wrote:

No, it's realism.

Two months do not make a player world-class. Not even one fantastic season makes a player world-class (yes, that means you, Gareth Bale).
You don't think Gareth Bale is world class? But you actually rate Theo Walcott as you have said before? 

Christ all mighty.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:13 pm

hampo171 wrote:Did anyone actually listen before jumping on the title of the thread Laugh

No you lost credibility the day you allowed Nick on the podcast Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:35 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

No, it's realism.

You don't think Gareth Bale is world class? But you actually rate Theo Walcott as you have said before? 

Christ all mighty.

No, Gareth Bale is not world-class (nor is he a better player than Henry was in his prime).

Theo Walcott is also not world-class, or even close to.

By "rate Theo Walcott", do you mean the times I have said he is the best option on the right of England's midfield, ahead of Townsend and Milner?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:37 pm

Gareth Bale definitely is world class.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

Gareth Bale isn't world class? I've heard it all now.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:50 pm

Ronaldo and Messi are world-class.

In what strange world is Gareth Bale at that level, presently?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

If you have to be as good as Messi and Ronaldo to be classed as world class, then there has been about 5 world class players since the game began.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Feb 2015, 3:58 pm

If Gareth Bale is the level of a world-class player, you may as well hand out such accolades in cereal packets.

See, I can do hyperbole as well!

Very few players are world-class, hence the name.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 14 Feb 2015, 4:06 pm

To be "World Class" you should be able to walk into any side in the world in your position & Gareth Bale doesn't do that.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 15 Feb 2015, 8:51 am

I'd argue the only side Bale doesn't walk in to is Bayern, certainly a world class player.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:03 am

If he doesn't walk into that side he's not "World Class"

He's a very talented guy but if i told people to name the top 5 players in world football i doubt he'd be on the list at the present time. There is a reason the Madrid fans are getting on his back and it's because he's not as good as last season.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:04 am

Fernando wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Did anyone actually listen before jumping on the title of the thread Laugh

Nick's the comedy sidekick for light relief.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:09 am

Hero wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Nick's the comedy sidekick for light relief.

To be a comedy sidekick you have to be funny..... Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:10 am

Messi and Ronaldo are elite footballers, if we're defining world class based on them then there are no other world class players in the world. World class for me is just below the elite level, Bale certainly fits in to that category, same as Suarez.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:13 am

That's where you & I differ.

For me it goes World Class, Highly Talented, Talented, Average, Below Average and finally People happy to sit on the bench like Anderson/Boyata etc

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:46 am

Who is currently World Class for you Nando?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 15 Feb 2015, 5:27 pm

England (and in club football) should always build their team around their best player. This has always been Rooney and for me still is regardless of Kane's success this season. Not taking anything away from the lad, he has truly been fantastic this season and deserves to lead the line as England's No.9 for me this year, however, nobody can be sure that this isn't just a one-hit-wonder season, which it could be. But then again, he can only build on this season and develop into a better player. Could be something special for England.

Kane, Berahino, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck. England have 5 really good strikers available to them imo. Lambert, Defoe, Crouch etc will be waiting in the wings, but there is little they can do when you are competing with strikers like them. The future looks bright for England. They also have Sterling, Walcott, Oxlade-Chaimberlin, Ibe, Townsend etc all out wide that are all coming through and still yet to develop. Barkley, Lallana, Rooney that can all play in that No.10 role very effectively and Barkley has big promise also.

My future England team is:

------------------------Hart----------------------
---Walker-----Stones------Caulker---Shaw---
-------------Henderson----Wilshere------------
---Sterling-------------------------------AOC---
-----------------Kane--------Berahino----------

I can always see England playing 4-4-2 and I think with them players it would work like a charm personally. Still players such as Jones, Chambers, Clyne, Barkley, Delph, Flanagan, Gibbs, Townsend, Shelvey, Carroll, Rodriguez, Ibe etc still waiting in the wings. The future really does look bright for England and any of those players could play and not weaken the time right now. There is absolutely no reason why England can't be successful. The only problem is, are any of these payers going to better than what other top teams will have soon like Germany, Spain, Italt etc. That's the ultimate question for them lads.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 15 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm

Walker is massively overrated, and Sturridge ahead of Berahino everyday of the week thumbsup

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 15 Feb 2015, 6:31 pm

Yeah Clyne most likely to be the right back in the future, if nobody else comes through.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Sun 15 Feb 2015, 7:49 pm

I actually forgot about Sturridge, thanks for that. Laugh Yeah Sturridge would replace Berahino, but he is certainly in back up for sure. Walker is class for me, just very injury prone and is > Clyne.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm

Walker is class?! Jesus Christ, in what respect?!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Feb 2015, 7:37 am

Walker can't defend at a Sunday league level which for a defender isn't great, Clyne is a far better player.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Mon 16 Feb 2015, 8:53 am

I certainly think Walker > Clyne. Although, if Clyne gets a bigger move and develops more with better players, he could be better.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Feb 2015, 9:17 am

What does Walker do better than Clyne? Certainly not better defensively, Clyne doesn't need to get bigger. He's the right size for a fullback.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Feb 2015, 1:29 pm

Can't believe Caulker & Walker have been mentioned in a future england squad

For me, in my expert opinion for the major champs:

-----------------Hart----------------
Clyne----Stones-----Cahill----Shaw
---------Henderson-Wilshere-------
Sturridge------Rooney------Sterling
-----------------Kane----------------

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Feb 2015, 1:49 pm

You want to waste Sturridge on the wing? That makes your "expert" opinion about as interesting as Michael Owens voice.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:13 pm

It's called the front three behind Kane being flexible & interchanging, you probably don't know what that means.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:19 pm

You think a front 3 of Rooney, Sturridge and Kane, all of who want to play through the middle, would actually work? If you're going to play a formation with wingers, use proper wingers but then based on some of your comments you're utterly clueless and are genuinely here for no other reason to try and wind up other posters.

I await your next post/insult as much as I await a punch in the groin.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 16 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm

Kane is now the best player we have. Apparently.

Walker should be about 4th choice.

As far as I'm concerned the likes of Dier, Jenkinson, Mason, Berahino and Kane should be being transitioned into the squad. Ibe possibly has a chance if he gets more games.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 16 Feb 2015, 3:43 pm

Expect Hodgson to go 3-4-3 next time round, as he continues to copy Rodgers' formations. Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Mon 16 Feb 2015, 4:17 pm

LiamB wrote:Can't believe Caulker & Walker have been mentioned in a future england squad

For me, in my expert opinion for the major champs:

-----------------Hart----------------
Clyne----Stones-----Cahill----Shaw
---------Henderson-Wilshere-------
Sturridge------Rooney------Sterling
-----------------Kane----------------

Just thought I'd let you know, Cahill is 29 and will have 1 tournament left, same with Rooney as well, getting a little bit older now and only have 1 tournament left. The others will have a little bit more (Hart at a push).

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 16 Feb 2015, 4:21 pm

I pretty much refuse to pick an England team with Wilshere in it. He'd be in the squad but I would worry too much about him being a focal point and then getting injured.

Based on current form and general standing, a 24 (just for outline purposes, take one player from midfield, defence or attack as per preference) would be:

Hart, Forster, then I'd have a young keeper like Butland

Clyne, Jenkinson, Shaw, Bertrand, Dier, Cahill, Stones and then there's really not a lot between Jones, Shawcross and Tomkins, though i'd have Jones personally.

Carrick, Milner, Henderson, Sterling, Barkley, the Ox, Lallana then Mason/Delph

Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Berahino, Kane

That leaves Walcott, Wilshere and Carroll all as options if they can prove their fitness and form. Jagielka is done as far as i'm concerned, whilst Carrick is there but a consideration to be left out cos of his age. Delph/Mason would be above Wilshere to get into the squad.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Mon 16 Feb 2015, 4:24 pm

Not Ryan Mason, not by a long way. Delph possibly. Shawcross I rate high and I think he should play. Tomkins maybe not. Jones should be there in front of Dier. Dier has done nothing to deserve a place really. Agree with your strikers though.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Feb 2015, 4:59 pm

Nathan Redmond will be in the discussion in 3-4 years time, really developed this season into a more consistent crosser of the ball, now just needs to become a more regular goalscorer (8-10 goals a year a good return for a wide man imo).

Exciting youngster, still got a long way to go
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next