The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News about Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph

+12
CallMeBenji
AdamT
Dipper Brown
Derbymanc
Coxy001
Herman Jaeger
kingraf
Strongback
Liam
Seanusarrilius
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
16 posters

Go down

News about  Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph Empty News about Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:07 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/manny-pacquiao/11413250/Manny-Pacquiao-and-Floyd-Mayweather-agree-160m-Las-Vegas-mega-fight.html

Back to top Go down

News about  Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph Empty Re: News about Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph

Post by milkyboy Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Well well let's hope so. Not least so all the other fights waiting for this saga to conclude can now get made.

Of course, key in the article is that manny has signed and floyd is due to. Which is not much different to what we'd heard before....

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

News about  Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph Empty Re: News about Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:18 pm

It's a meaningless fight If it gets made..........Didn't you know ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 am

Looks like this will be announced tonight or tomorrow. But I have said that before

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:01 am

Yeh seen that, and its dan rafael who's tweeted it so it seems that it's a genuine reason to get excited. For me, it doesn't matter a great deal its happening probably 6 years too late, just happy that it *should* happen now rather than never happening at all, which would have been even more criminal.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:07 am

Dan Rapael on Twitter

Basically every1 involved in #MayweatherPacquiao (both sides) simply waiting for Floyd to announce. All are calm & say negotiation complete.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Even better from Fat Dan

Dan Rafael
@ danrafaelespn
This is how crazy #MayweatherPacquiao is right
now. Most involved have no idea when Floyd will
announce, have called to ask what I've heard.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:44 pm

If Floyd's trying to build suspense , it's lost on me this fight happening six years too late.

It's a superfight so I'm going to sit on the fence. The sensible call I guess is Floyd on points, after all, he's one of the best boxers you're ever likely to see. A supreme maestro, the Joe Gans of his day. But on the other hand he's yet to do it against his main rival, and there is the question mark over how he deals with southpaws. So there's just the feeling that Manny could stomp on Floyd's ass and take him out. The pressure will be immense on Floyd, but it's of his own making. He can't stop Manny, but the Filipino brings equipment that Floyd's never dealt with before and as I say just the feeling in that fiery cauldron, he could stomp all over it.

Still an immense fight, the crowning glory for the winner. A big loss to shoulder for the loser.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Don't buy that it now favours Mayweather, that Pacquiao has slid further etc.

Lest we forget that Manny should have lost to Marquez at least once. In the highlight reel KO fourth fight he was on the front foot and I had him ahead and winning that round to boot. He simply got caught by the mother of all punches. Has since beat up on Rios, Bradley and Algieri (the latter wasn't exactly hard to beat up on admittedly). More so he looked pretty good in doing so.

For me it still holds the lure that it did 6 years ago. If Manny hadn't have walked in to that punch from JMM I think there may be some who wouldn't think this fight is the slight non event they think it would be compared to 6 years ago.

Arguably it's a bigger fight now (in terms of PPV and so forth) than it was 6 years ago. Floyd, for instance, has been in some mildly entertaining fights against Maidana and Cotto which has dented his aura of invincibility.

It's still going to be massive and lest we forget these guys are still the number #1 and #2 best fighters out there.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:21 pm

If Floyd ducks now he'll be outside my Top 50.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Why the assumption that it's Floyd that'll duck?

Hasn't Arum been caught out a few times lying about this, contracts signed, networks are all agreed, Floyd said this etc etc

I'm one (of the very few i'll admit) that have no interest in this fight, happening too late for my eyes.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Why the assumption that it's Floyd that'll duck?

Hasn't Arum been caught out a few times lying about this, contracts signed, networks are all agreed, Floyd said this etc etc

I'm one (of the very few i'll admit) that have no interest in this fight, happening too late for my eyes.

Once the mainstream media hyperbole starts and everyone man and his dog is talking about it in the pub I'm sure you'll get involved Derbs.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm determined on this one Coxy, if i'm at work and it's on (ie i'm not paying) the i'll watch it, if i'm at home then i'm not. Refuse to give the pair of them a penny.

I will of course be on here after the fact throwing my 2 cents in Smile

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:02 pm

It's not the fight it was but its still no.1 & 2 in the hottest division in recent memory. I've said all along it won't happen so I'll be really happy to be proven wrong.

Should it go ahead. What do we think will happen TV wise? Would sky try and blow Box Nation out of the water or do they have a contract?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 pm

I don't have box nation and don't particuarly want to get it but will for this fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:36 pm

Same.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Should it go ahead. What do we think will happen TV wise? Would sky try and blow Box Nation out of the water or do they have a contract?

Sky will absolutely 100% pick this up. Simple fact is that fisheyedFwank can't get anywhere near the numbers that the PPV will do on Sky, thus whatever platform earns those involved the most money they will go with that platform.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

Sky will absolutely 100% pick this up. Simple fact is that fisheyedFwank can't get anywhere near the numbers that the PPV will do on Sky, thus whatever platform earns those involved the most money they will go with that platform.

hope so. would be happy enough with a one off payment to sky!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 pm

It's the number one and number 2 going at it, the best against the best. Yet the only absolute certainty with the fight that everybody has been waiting for, is that it won't live up to the hype.

Outside of the triple hardcore fans who refuse to watch because it isn't during their peaks, pretty much every sporting fan in general around the world will watch this fight. If they got served up with a fight on the level of Barrera - Morales then boxing would receive the boost it has been craving for years and could arguably be a mainstream sport again off the back of it.

The more realistic eventuality is that the average sports fan with little knowledge of boxing will probably lose interest after 8/9 rounds and wonder what all the fuss was about. The short term spike in boxing popularity will be enormous, however I can't help but wonder if the fight might be more damaging / do little to boost its long term popularity in the long run if fans walk away disappointed in the action they saw between the best v the best.

I'm not for one second suggesting the fight shouldn't happen (I can't wait for it as it happens), however I'm just interested in how things will pan out for the sport after the fight...

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Hmm might be a bit of a stretch to get casual fans to fork out for a PPV in the middle of the night involving an American and a Phillipino. The hype machine has its work cut out.

I'd probably fork out for this though, through gritted teeth. Get some friends over and split the cost.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:42 pm

CallMeBenji wrote:It's the number one and number 2 going at it, the best against the best. Yet the only absolute certainty with the fight that everybody has been waiting for, is that it won't live up to the hype.

Outside of the triple hardcore fans who refuse to watch because it isn't during their peaks, pretty much every sporting fan in general around the world will watch this fight. If they got served up with a fight on the level of Barrera - Morales then boxing would receive the boost it has been craving for years and could arguably be a mainstream sport again off the back of it.

The more realistic eventuality is that the average sports fan with little knowledge of boxing will probably lose interest after 8/9 rounds and wonder what all the fuss was about. The short term spike in boxing popularity will be enormous, however I can't help but wonder if the fight might be more damaging / do little to boost its long term popularity in the long run if fans walk away disappointed in the action they saw between the best v the best.

I'm not for one second suggesting the fight shouldn't happen (I can't wait for it as it happens), however I'm just interested in how things will pan out for the sport after the fight...

I think you nailed it here.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Yet the only absolute certainty with the fight that everybody has been waiting for, is that it won't live up to the hype.

CallMeBeau

Could you imagine "if" the biggest fight of our generation were to result in multiple knockdowns and a come from behind 12th round KO?!?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
Yet the only absolute certainty with the fight that everybody has been waiting for, is that it won't live up to the hype.

CallMeBeau

Could you imagine "if" the biggest fight of our generation were to result in multiple knockdowns and a come from behind 12th round KO?!?

Maybe it would have in 2009.... Whistle

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm not sure. Pacquaio's still great to watch and Floyd is easier to hit than ever.

There is a school of thought that although this fight doesn't have the significance it did from 09-11 it may be easier on the eye.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:I'm not sure. Pacquaio's still great to watch and Floyd is easier to hit than ever.

There is a school of thought that although this fight doesn't have the significance it did from 09-11 it may be easier on the eye.

Both are supreme athletes, I don't think they've "lost" as much as some believe to be honest. If you take it from when FMJ fought Marquez then between them they've gone 18-2, with the two losses being a bit of a robbery against Bradley (had Manny winning 8-4) and a one punch stoppage against Marquez in a fight he was winning. Mayweather yes had his struggles against Maidana first time round but then won very handily second time round. Barring that fight he's looked pretty darn good. And yes, Cotto ran him close but lest we forget that he still won that fight.

I admit that after Manny dismantled Hatton then Cotto the "furore" for the fight to happen was bigger, but I don't see it as two gone-mid-30s guys finally getting it on. They're #1 and #2 on most peoples P4P lists after all. Floyd has seemingly lost a little bit in terms of leg movement, but instead of dancing around and making them miss he's a bit more exciting to watch because he still knows he can roll/blunt attacks by staying in range.

Personally I can't wait. Assuming it will be made.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:08 am

Coxy - that "if" would be something to behold wouldn't it ! My point though is that a lot of part time/first time fans might be expecting it because the best are fighting each other.

My own personal view is similar to Dipper's theory in that the decline in both men will make it a more "fan friendly" fight. Pac won't have a problem staying in range and taking a few risks. However, due to Pac's foot speed (which is still pretty good and certainly better than anything Floyd has faced for years), Mayweather might not have any choice but to stay in range for much longer periods than her ever has in his career.

Pretty much any boxing fan is still going to be fascinated by how they'll deal with each other, if not for any other reason than that we've all been debating it for so bloody long ! I just can't get the image out of my head that I'll invite some mates who are part time/first time boxing viewers round to my house to watch the fight and they'll end up falling asleep whilst I'm there glued to it.

If there was ever a fight to come along I our lifetimes for the 606 posters to meet up and watch together, this would be it........just saying.....

If there

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:48 am

The fight between the posters would be more interesting that the snore-fest Mayweather will inflict on us. Roach says he's formulating a game plan with Manny. Yeah, it's the same one you should have formulated six years ago when the fight was first mooted.

Manny to dart in and out with raiding tactics and Mayweather to stay out of range where possible and then try counter as Manny comes in. Manny fans claim he's winning with aggression, Mayweather fans to claim their man is winning due to ring generalship.

Manny to grow more confident and Mayweather to tie him up in the clinches. Boos to be heard ringing around the planet. Manny fans to claim Mayweather is clearly scared and Mayweather fans to claim Manny is clueless.

Manny to get desperate as the rounds fritter away with very little happening and gets caught more frequently. Manny fans to again claim their man is the only one trying to make the a fight of it. Mayweather fans to say "F*ck the PacTards" a lot!!

Fight finally comes to life when Mayweather to trip over his own feet causing everyone to think he's been punched. The fight to be a stinker and massive non-event as Mayweather wins on points but the scorecards make it look like Manny did something.

People to moan about it for longer than it took to get the fight on originally and both fighters to walk off with a f*cking fortune.

We all die inside and wish we could get those 36 minutes of our life back.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:05 am

Manny has nothing to lose...........

Beats Mayweather he was better all along...............Loses ....Mayweather waited till he was past it.....

You'd think Alvarez, Castillo, Hatton, DelaHoya, Jmm, Mosley, Hernandez, Corrales, Cotto and Guerrero were all journeymen the way people talk on here.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:25 am

No-one fighting for a guaranteed purse of damn near $50 million has anything to lose

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:30 am

DAVE667 wrote:No-one fighting for a guaranteed purse of damn near $50 million has anything to lose

When you're rich..............It's your reputation you're bothered about !!

Ask Strongy !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:43 am

DAVE667 wrote:No-one fighting for a guaranteed purse of damn near $50 million has anything to lose

What if Floyd buggers Manny in the ring in the middle of a round? One would thus suggest Manny would lose his dignity, cherry and the ability to sit down for a few days.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:55 am

Bloody hell Dave! All aboard the good ship cynicism. No need to be so negative my man. You never know.

A) the fight might happen and b) it could be alright.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:22 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Manny has nothing to lose...........

Beats Mayweather he was better all along...............Loses ....Mayweather waited till he was past it.....

You'd think Alvarez, Castillo, Hatton, DelaHoya, Jmm, Mosley, Hernandez, Corrales, Cotto and Guerrero were all journeymen the way people talk on here.......

True, Manny has everything to gain

No, just had the style to beat him. Mayweather is the more rounded and technically better boxer and has lost far less rounds than Manny.

No, if Manny is past it so is Floyd, if anything Manny now has the slight advantage.

The fact that Manny has fought 5 of that list you'd have to question his resume.

All in all I think it will be a decent fight, the fact Floyd isn't as quick on his feet anymore means he's going to be in range a lot more and under more pressure and will have to throw a lot more punches.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:33 am

sohotnot wrote:

No, just had the style to beat him. Mayweather is the more rounded and technically better boxer and has lost far less rounds than Manny.

No, if Manny is past it so is Floyd, if anything Manny now has the slight advantage.

The fact that Manny has fought 5 of that list you'd have to question his resume.

All in all I think it will be a decent fight, the fact Floyd isn't as quick on his feet anymore means he's going to be in range a lot more and under more pressure and will have to throw a lot more punches.

good post.

Think the fight will be competitive early. As I have mentioned before (and got laughed at) Manny will get desperate late on and lunge in and I think Floyd will tko him. Floyd steps off the gas when he has a fighter on the back foot.

Manny is a warrior and he will fight to the end rather than try to merely survive. Floyd has backed up Shane and hurt Cotto so I believe he can stop Pacquiao.

Both these guys haven't been ko artists recently but both can still punch and anything can happen in a boxing match.

Would rather have seen this 5 years ago but better late than never.

Looking forward to this fight!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:05 am

The fight purse and tv etc for the fighters is reported to be $250 million. 60/40 split in Mayweather's favour.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:12 am

AdamT wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

good post.

Think the fight will be competitive early. As I have mentioned before (and got laughed at) Manny will get desperate late on and lunge in and I think Floyd will tko him. Floyd steps off the gas when he has a fighter on the back foot.

Manny is a warrior and he will fight to the end rather than try to merely survive. Floyd has backed up Shane and hurt Cotto so I believe he can stop Pacquiao.

Both these guys haven't been ko artists recently but both can still punch and anything can happen in a boxing match.

Would rather have seen this 5 years ago but better late than never.

Looking forward to this fight!

struggled with Maidana's pressure............All about the pace and who controls it !!

Either Manny outworks Floyd......or you get another Starling-Honey type schooling.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:30 am

I just want this fight done with.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:16 am

Not sure how true this is but there's talk from Americans on social media that the PPVs could cost $100! Daft money.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:24 am

It will, Hampo. Some of them already run up to $70. This will be at least $100. And they charge $10 more if in HD. At least here in Canada they do. Criminal.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:24 am

Ouch, really hope for the fight over here they package it with a decent domestic card, although suspect they will believe this sells on its own and so not see any point.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 am

It's alright lads, Uncle Roger has spoken on the issue so we can all stop wondering now.

"He is going to get knocked out. It ain't going to go past six rounds. I don't think so. He's going to hit him in the jaw - boom. He's going to hit him in the head - boom. He's going to knock his ass down - boom. I'll tell [the referee] don't count too soon so he can get another ass-whooping. There won't be no rematch."

"He just got knocked out by Marquez and my nephew dominated Marquez. What is he going to do with my nephew? He is going to get stopped. To be honest, I'm not worried about fighting him because he's going to get a good ass-whooping."

Personally, I'm just looking forward to the hilarious reasons and statements we're going to get from both camps over the next week or so as they explain to us why the fight isn't actually happening after all, as well as the usual responses from the fans about how it'll definitely happen after each man has their next bout and how both guys obviously still want it etc.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:25 am

$100 to watch on TV?!!! How much would tickets be?!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:30 am

News about  Mayweather Pacquiao fight according to The Telegraph 762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down