The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?

+25
coolpixel
greengoblin
Henman Bill
summerblues
Silver
YvonneT
Josiah Maiestas
Jeremy_Kyle
invisiblecoolers
whocares
LuvSports!
erictheblueuk
MMT1
laverfan
Born Slippy
slashermcguirk
socal1976
mthierry
Haddie-nuff
temporary21
sirfredperry
HM Murdock
bogbrush
kingraf
CAS
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Warinka, Berdych or Tsonga?

Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Vote_lcap91%Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Vote_rcap 91% 
[ 43 ]
Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Vote_lcap4%Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Vote_lcap4%Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 47

Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Empty Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?

Post by CAS Mon 16 Feb 2015, 11:09 pm

Stan has become one of the best players in the world, he has always had incredible potential and is finally starting to realise it. He almost had a career year, winning a Slam, a Masters and the Davis Cup to go a long with his Olympic Gold in doubles.

However, Berdych and Tsonga must look on with slight jealously after being the ones pushing the big 4 the closest for so long. They have been competing at a high level for several years now, my question is...when the three plays hang up their rackets, who's CAREER would you most liked to have?

Has Stan's AO win forever given him the edge over Tomas and Jo or do you think they are more proud of their longevity in the game and wouldn't swap careers with the Swiss?

Stan Wawrinka:

Turned pro: 2002
Career high ranking: 3
Career won/loss: 351/216
Masters: 1 Win 2 Finals
Slam record: 7 QFs 3 SFs 1 W
Prize money $15,4 million
Olympic gold in doubles
Davis Cup

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga:

Turned pro: 2004
Career high ranking: 5
Career won/loss: 319\147
Masters: 2 Wins 1 Finals
Slam record: 9 QFs 4 SFs 1 F
World Tour Finals Finalist 2011
Prize money: $14.5 million

Tomas Berdych:

Turned Pro: 2002
Career high ranking: 5
Career won/loss: 498/264
Grand Slams: 0
Masters: 1 Win 2 Finals
Slam record: 12 QFs 4 SFs 1 F
Davis Cup
Prize money: $20.9 million

CAS

Back to top Go down

Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Empty Re: Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?

Post by kingraf Tue 17 Feb 2015, 6:20 am

Even with Wawrinka's lone slam, it used to be closeish. But he now has a Masters, made two more slam semi finals, won the Davis Cup.

Between Berdych and Tsonga, I'd go with Berdych, buts there's very little in it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?  Empty Re: Who's CAREER would you rather have? Wawrinka, Berdych or Tsonga?

Post by kingraf Tue 17 Feb 2015, 6:20 am

Except the small matter of $5 million
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 17 Feb 2015, 7:33 am

Berdychs's girlfriend closes the deal before we even get to the cups. And don't tell me she's not a result of the career.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 17 Feb 2015, 8:47 am

In 10 years time, none of them will have to worry about money but Stan will have some much fonder memories and a name in the history book outside of a footnote.

Tsonga is the one who I think will have the most regrets. I think Berdych has maximised his talent but Tsonga could probably have achieved more.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 17 Feb 2015, 9:26 am

That GS Aussie Open win for The Man means he shades it. People tend to remember the big wins. Just look at Pat Cash. He'll be forever remembered for his Wimbledon triumph. But if you look a little closer at his career, it was quite modest. He only won SIX tournaments.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:02 am

Stan for me. Tsongas gae looks like it would hurt the arm, and the pressure from the French is huge. Berdych must be a little frustrating to be from a results point of view (though the GF is a major plus point).

Being in Rogers shadow must also be annoying sometimes, but has the benefit of taking all the pressure off you.
Stans game also looks the easiest on the body, and he has the results to boot.

I would also add that I dont think Jo's done quite yet hes a n enigma of sorts and theres still every chance a draw might open up one day and hell take it

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm

Temp21. Agree about JWT. Would love to see him do well. One of my favourite players.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:30 pm

Tsonga certainly the one with the most entertaining game agreed he has never maximised his talent and may well come to regret that but IMO whilst Stan has achieved the greatest success Birdy has not got a lot going for him (discounting his girlfriend!!)so I go with JWT he may surprise us yet

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:26 pm

While I agree I'm surprised how unanimous it has been, Berdych has achieved incredible longevity shown by his QF appearances. Before the Aussie last year Wawrinka hadn't won anything bigger than a 250! He's made incredible strides in a year, Tsonga and Berdych can came claim to have had a better career. Tsonga himself said he wouldn't swap with Stan after the Davis Cup final.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 18 Feb 2015, 6:53 am

I like Tsonga... but he's lying.Career high of #3, DC, Aus Open, Olympic gold medal... I'm not sure there's anything Tsonga has that Wawrinka would really want. The same can't be said vice versa
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:57 pm

he was saying he has more SFs so has been a constant threat in slams, while Wawrinka had one great year (bear in mind this was before this years Aussie so Stan had only been in 2 SFs)

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 18 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm

I'm calling one of two things. Either
Bulldust OR
a lack of ambition.

Neither suprise me, but I have a hard time believing Tsonga would really rather have what he has.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

I dont think its an outrageous statement, longevity is lauded in this sport and he and Berdych have been in the top 10 a hell of a lot longer than Stan, isn't that important? We praise Federer's number 1 count etc.

I do agree Stan has won just enough to edge this argument but if you think Rotterdam was his first ever 500 thats unbelievable to me.

I think Stan will look on more fondly because he has ended his career strongly and made up for lost time just in time, while Berdych will leave more frustrated as will Tsonga as they were knocking on the door for so long.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm

Over the last 2 seasons, Stan has achieved so much and that slam edges him ahead. Berdych has generally had the most accomplished, consistent career of the 3 from a pretty young age. His poor movement and mental frailty have been his insurmountable obstacles. He'll never win a slam. Tsonga's time is done too. Stan has a very slight chance of adding another slam.

Anyways, Stan > Berd > JWT

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 19 Feb 2015, 5:35 am

Stan's career is superior he has enough other successes along with his slam to elevate him over the others. I mean before his slam he didn't come out of nowhere he was a consistent top 20 guy who all of sudden had that big run at a major. Consistency is great and Berdych has made a lot more slam semis and quarters than Stan and always been in the top ten. But its better to be a one slam wonder than a no slam wonder.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 19 Feb 2015, 2:13 pm

Ok then harder question. Whose career? Berdych/Tsonga or Thomas Johansson?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 19 Feb 2015, 4:30 pm

I would say Wawrinka / Berdych / Tsonga in that order

What stands out for me with each:

Wawrinka - Slam win, masters win and Davis cup

Berdych - impressive record of beating all of the top 4 in a grand slam (Really impressive achievement and not sure who out of top 4 can say they have accomplished this feat over 5 sets). Very consistent record in grand slams too, so many times in QF or better and final at Wimbledon beating Federer and Djokovic in the process

Tsonga - Just not sure what to make of Tsonga, he has a lot of talent but very frustrating at the same time. There are two things that will always cost him in a big match, his backhand is simply not good enough and he is prone to big mental lapses.

Back in 2008, I really expected Tsonga to push on but I really think he has under delivered. I think stans slam win does it but I would put berdych very close to him in terms of achievements as he has been so consistent

Tsonga a good bit behind for me.........I do like him though

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 20 Feb 2015, 11:18 am

Erm, JWT has also beaten all the big 4 in slams? Its very close between Berdy and Tsonga. If anything, I would give the edge to Jo. He has won two masters since the big 4 have been pre-eminent. Berdy only has one - a long long time ago.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 21 Feb 2015, 3:47 am

Wawrinka.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:47 am

Re-reading my message, it could be misinterpreted that I think Berdych/Tsonga are above Stan. I don't. Stan's slam win places him comfortably above the other two.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Thu 05 Mar 2015, 5:05 pm

By a long shot, I'd rather have Wawrinka's career, because he's won a major. No comparison for me.
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 16 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

Grand Slam Winner, Olympic Gold Medal Winner, Davis Cup Winner, Masters 1000 Winner.

No Contest.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 16 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

I agree, Kafelnikov it is then!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:31 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:Grand Slam Winner, Olympic Gold Medal Winner, Davis Cup Winner, Masters 1000 Winner.

No Contest.

Yep Michael Stich wasnt bad Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm

maybe a more interesting one would be Wawrinka or Ferrer? I was mainly getting at the consistency over the course of a career, Berdych and Tsonga were at the top of the rankings a lot longer than Stan, they were superb players for a long time, before Stan won the Aussie '14 the biggest tournament he had ever won was a 250!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

I think Stans the clear winner because of his slam. If you took that out and say he had the same results he has now but lost the AO 14 final, then it would be very close between all 3 of them and Ferrer.

Now then, what about Ferrer or Berdych?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:04 pm

Ferrer is significantly above Berdych I would say.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 22 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm

Wawrinka is a Slam champ so he cannot even be compared with the other two and hence wins the poll hands down, had it not for a slam I would have chosen Tsonga's career for success, Berdych Life for the Girl Friend.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 3:39 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Wawrinka is a Slam champ so he cannot even be compared with the other two and hence wins the poll hands down, had it not for a slam I would have chosen Tsonga's career for success, Berdych Life for the Girl Friend.

Well played...
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:06 am

I am surprised that nobody has pointed this out;

Berdych career ernings: 20 mln $

Stan: 15 mln $

This is quite a big gap between the two. Also, does the comparison include extra tennis achievements as well? If so would I have for instance the same ehm ehm "support team" of Berdych if I chose his career??
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri 01 May 2015, 9:46 am

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:I am surprised that nobody has pointed this out;

Berdych career ernings: 20 mln $

Stan: 15 mln $

This is quite a big gap between the two. Also, does the comparison include extra tennis achievements as well? If so would I have for instance the same ehm ehm "support team" of Berdych if I chose his career??

If I was one of these two guys I would rather have a Grand Slam and an Olympic Gold medal than an extra 5m
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 01 May 2015, 10:19 am

It must be also sweet to win a couple of Davis cups for your country. In the UK he'd have already his monument built in central London for achieving it. As much as I like Stan, he's likely to be remembered as a one slam wonder, while Berdich, whith all his limitations, will be remembered as one of the top players of his age.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri 01 May 2015, 10:34 am

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:It must be also sweet to win a couple of Davis cups for your country. In the UK he'd have already his monument built in central London for achieving it. As much as I like Stan, he's likely to be remembered as a one slam wonder, while Berdich, whith all his limitations, will be remembered as one of the top players of his age.

I'll remember Stan far more than I will Berdych even if only as Federer's sidekick for his Olympic and Davis Cup wins
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 01 May 2015, 12:37 pm

Before 2014 Stan wasn't in the picture, in the past 15 months Stan has far outperformed both of them. Harder to split Tsonga and Berdych though.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 06 May 2015, 1:58 pm

On paper of course you'd pick Wawrinka.

But
(1) you'd be disappointed if you were a Berdych or Tsonga supporter and while they were an active player they stated that they'd rather have someone else's career
and
(2) life isn't lived on paper, and in retirement, I'd suspect that all of these guys are going to look back to the best moments of their career with great fondness and pride. Having witnessed Tsonga winning and receiving his Olympic silver medal in London, I'd imagine that'll be one of the highlights for him, so why have regrets about what you didn't achieve.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sat 06 Jun 2015, 10:51 am

Oh Jo Sad

What a missed chance here!

Berdych still with the consisitency against the lower ranks but Wawrinka with the belief on the big occasions.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 06 Jun 2015, 1:15 pm

... so Wawrinka's career it should be? chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 06 Jun 2015, 1:46 pm

Might be time to swipe stan off this list. He's a clear cut above the other two now

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 06 Jun 2015, 3:02 pm

I wonder where Ferrer would rank alongside this trio?

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 06 Jun 2015, 3:22 pm

Between ferrer Tsonga and berdych. Tsonga is the marginally more successful. However is pick him mostly because it must be nice to get success with such a free flowing style. Ferrets career looks like daily agony

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:32 am

temporary21 wrote:Ferrets career looks like daily agony
LOL

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 07 Jun 2015, 4:25 am

temporary21 wrote:Between ferrer Tsonga and berdych. Tsonga is the marginally more successful. However is pick him mostly because it must be nice to get success with such a free flowing style. Ferrets career looks like daily agony

Prize Money wise

Ferrer - $26,394,492
Tsonga - $14,659,949
Berdych - $21,944,642

Will this change your mind, T2? Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Jun 2015, 6:11 pm

Well the question did say when they hang up their rackets rather than based on the achievement when you posed the question. So, Stan clearly ahead of the others now, if we had a vote now, it might be unanimous.

Stan is in a position of his own now. Clearly behind Murray, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal in career achievement, but clearly ahead of all other active players.

Stan vs Del Potro might still be a debate (Del Potro might have won more without injury) although you probably give the edge to Stan in that one.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 07 Jun 2015, 7:39 pm

Today's match just about seals it. Or, at least, Stan has to be the clear front runner now until the other guys start winning slams.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Sun 07 Jun 2015, 7:49 pm

What about Wawrinka vs Murray? I don't care about Murray's masters' win's lol, I think that performance puts Stan ahead. I am still reeling from some of the shots he pulled off.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun 07 Jun 2015, 7:51 pm

laverfan wrote:
temporary21 wrote:Between ferrer Tsonga and berdych. Tsonga is the marginally more successful. However is pick him mostly because it must be nice to get success with such a free flowing style. Ferrets career looks like daily agony

Prize Money wise

Ferrer - $26,394,492
Tsonga - $14,659,949
Berdych - $21,944,642

Will this change your mind, T2? Hug

Well Ferrer wasn't in the poll, otherwise amongst these he would be winning hands down.

Anyway right now it looks like Stan has answered the question and settled this debate once and for all.

Go Stan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 07 Jun 2015, 7:53 pm

Interesting Murray / Stan point. Tough call, on Slams it's level for sure. Probably Murray, but one more Slam gives it to Stan and right now I'd not bet against it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Jun 2015, 7:59 pm

Murray/Stan?

Murray all day.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

For sure, but it's an interesting point to bring in should Stan get a 3rd Slam any time soon.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next