The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Threat level midnight - The US Office

+6
bluestonevedder
Stella
Nakatomi Plaza
JDizzle
Rowley
Adam D
10 posters

Go down

Threat level midnight - The US Office Empty Threat level midnight - The US Office

Post by Adam D Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:23 pm

I've been watching this again on netflix and it's just amazing.

I know it's based on the Ricky Gervais mockumentary but this has surpassed it in every way.

Don't get me wrong, the uk one was great but the US one is up there with the best comedies ever.

For any fans, re watching it gives so many more little moments that are missed first time. Characters like creed are just amazing and the things he does are always hilarious.

Any other fans?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Threat level midnight - The US Office Empty Re: Threat level midnight - The US Office

Post by Rowley Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:33 pm

I love it Adam as you already know, as it went on a lot longer than the UK one gives it opportunity to flesh out the incidental characters like Toby and Stanley. Consistently funny show from start to finish

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Threat level midnight - The US Office Empty Re: Threat level midnight - The US Office

Post by JDizzle Sat 21 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm

Ahh, the US Office is funny enough and I do enjoy it, but the UK Office is one of the finest pieces of TV ever made for me. Absolute genius, and a decent way better than it's US counterpart.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sun 22 Feb 2015, 7:28 am

I think the US version is funnier, but the UK version is a better show. 

The US version also went down in quality after Steve Carell left, and I didn't like the way they changed Andy Bernard's character in the last season. I don't think the US version is the best show created by Greg Daniels and Michael Schur. Parks and Recreation is a better show than The Office.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 22 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm

Not a patch on the UK version. Gervais as Brent is all over Carell.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:16 am

I enjoyed the UK Office, and it was ground breaking when it came out but I absolutely adore the US office. It's possibly my favourite TV show of all time. I truly believe that Dwight K Schrute is one of TV's greatest characters ever.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

Dwight, although awesome, is stil behind Creed in my opinion.

All of the characters are so well rounded. And thats why I prefer it - it has had so many more episodes to round the characters out.

After it got past its 1st season of copying the UK one, it really got into its own.

And I also love Parks and Recreation too but its not as good (although I have only seen the first 3 seasons of that)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:53 am

Creed? That's an interesting one Adam- I've not met anyone before whose favourite character is Creed! Don't get me wrong, he's great, and I love the story that emerges in the last few episodes about his past. It's genius.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:22 am

He gets something like 30 seconds max per episode but its always hilarious!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm

So true!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Feb 2015, 8:48 pm

Philistines, it is all about Kevin and always has been.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:05 pm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:38 pm

That's brilliant Adam. 

I have to admit, it's hard to appreciate him when he gets a out 20 seconds of airtime an episode, but seeing it all back-to-back like that he is utterly hilarious.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 Mar 2015, 11:45 am

Adam D wrote:I know it's based on the Ricky Gervais mockumentary but this has surpassed it in every way.
Oh god.

I like the show but this is one of the worst comments ever.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 04 Mar 2015, 11:48 am

Scottrf wrote:
Adam D wrote:I know it's based on the Ricky Gervais mockumentary but this has surpassed it in every way.
Oh god.

Agree 100%
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Mar 2015, 11:53 am

Stella wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Oh god.

Agree 100%

Same here. It's a decent show but to say it's surpassed the UK version "in every way" is utter nonsense. But then Adam's favourite film is Moulin Rouge so we can pretty much disregard his opinion anyway.

The US version is ballbreakingly funny at times but the UK version is timeless and irreplaceable.

Now if you want a US version of a UK comedy that truly has surpassed the original, then I give you the US version of Shameless.

Utter genius.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 04 Mar 2015, 11:59 am

I did catch a clip of the US version of The Inbetweeners. That was pretty garbage.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:00 pm

Stella wrote:I did catch a clip of the US version of The Inbetweeners. That was pretty garbage.

Never seen it, Stella.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Stella wrote:I did catch a clip of the US version of The Inbetweeners. That was pretty garbage.

Never seen it, Stella.

The US version?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

Stella wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Never seen it, Stella.

The US version?

Yep, I've seen all the UK ones.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 04 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

Creed is also my favourite character.

I agree with the consensus of this thread that the US show isn't quite as good as the UK one but it's probably the funniest US comedy TV show since Friends.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 05 Mar 2015, 3:58 am

I prefer it. I love sitcoms, they are my thing, and this is a better comedy. It might not be a better TV show overall, but its a better comedy. They did take it a little too long though, and I slightly prefer Parks n Rec.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:48 am

Can't have that the US show has surpassed the British. The UK version redefined the genre, whilst the US show is brilliantly funny at times, and maintains that surprisingly well across a sustained period it cannot make any claims to being in anyway revolutionary

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:30 am

I watched the Threat Level Midnight episode the other night (God I love Netflix) and it was just as good as I remember.

Unfortunately, I have seen real films that are worse.

Now lets all do the Scarn.

http://www.threatlevelmidnight.com/do-the-scarn/

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 05 Mar 2015, 11:48 am

Rowley wrote:Can't have that the US show has surpassed the British. The UK version redefined the genre, whilst the US show is brilliantly funny at times, and maintains that surprisingly well across a sustained period it cannot make any claims to being in anyway revolutionary
Even talking about character development, the original does more in 12 episode than the other would in 12 series. The Tim/Dawn and Brent/Finch moments are just brilliant and engaging. The American one doesn't have anything like the subtlety or consistency/tightness. There is very little fat in the original.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Mar 2015, 12:38 pm

I also admire the fact they called it quits at the right time. So few shows do that, the last few Only Fools and Horses were painfully unfunny. There is literally not a poor episode of either the Office (UK) or Fawlty Towers. There are not many shows that can say that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 05 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

Rowley wrote:I also admire the fact they called it quits at the right time. So few shows do that, the last few Only Fools and Horses were painfully unfunny. There is literally not a poor episode of either the Office (UK) or Fawlty Towers. There are not many shows that can say that.

Agree there. OFAH should have called it quits after the the three xmas episodes in the mid 90's. It became embarrassing after that. Also, the two xmas episodes of the UK Office gave it a fitting send off.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down