The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership?

+2
WillyGilly
Notch
6 posters

Go down

Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership? Empty Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership?

Post by Notch Sat 28 May 2011, 8:39 pm

Ulster, 2006, Celtic League winners under Mark McCall
Saracens, 2011, English Premiership winners

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether this has been done before?

Interesting story, McCalls. Started off as an Assistant Coach. Stepped into the shoes of a highly charismatic and influential South African coach and took the team he inherited to glory. That was in Ulster in 2005/2006. The story of Saracens victory is deja vu all over again...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership? Empty Re: Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership?

Post by WillyGilly Sun 29 May 2011, 1:12 am

Next stop Ireland? ...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership? Empty Re: Is Mark McCall the first coach to win both the ML and Premiership?

Post by Notch Sun 29 May 2011, 1:22 am

Are you kidding me Willy? You really must be joking. He was a disaster of a Head Coach at Ulster; Good assistant. If Saracens have any sense they'll bring in someone with a higher profile and let him focus on his role as No. 2...

I think he is a better coach now of course, he was given a job at Ulster he simply wasn't ready for or capable of doing despite his initial league win.

I want to see him succeed with a team he's built, not inherited. Then we'll see.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 29 May 2011, 7:53 am

Quite an achievement nonetheless :applause:

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 29 May 2011, 10:47 am

There is an element of right place right time. I don't think any of the provinces nor the national team would consider him a candidate if they were hiring.

But fair play rugby is a results driven game and he's got 2 League wins on his CV
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 29 May 2011, 10:57 am

Don't be fooled by him being in charge at Saracens.

Despite Dr Venter not being physically present all of the time, it is his hand steering the ship I believe. McCall is a very able number 2, and has been a good front man for Sarries this season, but I remain to be convinced that he could lead an international side.

Excellent achievement with his Magners and Aviva wins however.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 29 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Oh, no doubt he's a natural assistant coach Pete.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 29 May 2011, 12:11 pm

Who else was in the running? I mean how many coaches have worked in both competitions?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 29 May 2011, 12:19 pm

That's what I'm curios to know Glas. Mike Ruddock coached both Leinster and Worcester. Not too many other candidates....
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 29 May 2011, 12:37 pm

Phill Davies I suppose.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down