The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown

+76
wolfball
Rory_Gallagher
Mickado
geoff998rugby
Hood83
Exiledinborders
FecklessRogue
Heaf
cb
Marshes
Standulstermen
Cowshot
TJ
Gooseberry
robbo277
funnyExiledScot
BamBam
dummy_half
milkyboy
Pete330v2
toml
GunsGerms
offload
king_carlos
Biltong
Rugby Fan
rugbygod2
rodders
The Great Aukster
Sin é
Strongback
hawalsh
Artful_Dodger
Notch
fa0019
Exiled Gael
bluestonevedder
LeinsterFan4life
Breadvan
Blanko
kunu
lostinwales
HammerofThunor
profitius
No 7&1/2
Pot Hale
theslosty
SecretFly
TheRugbyMaster
jbeadlesbigrighthand
bedfordwelsh
JDizzle
gregortree
RuggerRadge2611
asoreleftshoulder
captain carrantuohil
Brennus
Steve_rugby
beshocked
LondonTiger
yappysnap
Hammersmith harrier
rosbif
majesticimperialman
Cyril
Fantasticbarnsmell
quinsforever
SimonofSurrey
maestegmafia
Nachos Jones
Geordie
stub
ME-109
nathan
TightHEAD
George Carlin
80 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown Empty Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown

Post by George Carlin Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm

Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown Irelan13         Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown Englan13
Ireland 19 - 9 England

A continuation of the match thread.

Be respectful please. Your mothers would be proud.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown Empty Re: Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:06 pm

Still no replay!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown Empty Re: Ireland v England - Post-match warmdown

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:06 pm

tH, I don't think you'll get one

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

By the reactions of the players they thought it was a try.

But I cant be sure as I only saw it in real time?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

Nobody cares if it was a try or not

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

Well it would be nice to see it again
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

Robshaw looks understandably gutted.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

It was irrelevant anyway...so what does it matter.

Breakdown is a massive problem that just isn't getting fixed from when Lancaster took over.

And kicking must be improved 1000%

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

TightHEAD wrote:By the reactions of the players they thought it was a try.

But I cant be sure as I only saw it in real time?

As I said earlier, it looked fine to me at real speed, thought it was a try. The linesman who called it was the same one who called the knack back a knock on earlier. It wouldn't have changed the result but in this tournament, it could have a big impact if it comes down to points difference.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm

Still be nice to see a replay, as I wasn't sure either way.

I pay my licence fee
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm

Yep forward, that's I wanted to see.

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:11 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Well it would be nice to see it again

Bugger again - twas forward - I was sure it wasn't though.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm

So frustrating both SL and Robshaw talk a good game but we just don't lean from our mistakes, we still have no idea what our 1st team is.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:15 pm

Well played Ireland. You blew them away.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

Rolling Eyes
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:18 pm

Ireland deserved to win because they executed a simple Plan A flawlessly, preyed on naive England mistakes under pressure (picking up the ball from in front at least twice - U12s would blush!) and, let's be honest, got a couple of those breaks that tend to go to teams on top (the try was very well taken but the ball could have bounced anywhere before being secured). The score tells the story. If Ireland can go to Cardiff with a Plan B as well - which they'll need against far more streetwise Welsh - and win then they'll deserve a GS.

From an England standpoint, I'm not too down. I thought we looked more the dangerous ball with in hand. We can also look forward to the return of eg M Brown, Tuilagi (for Burrell), and 1st choice second rows.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

+1
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Well played Ireland. You blew them away.

Not sure about that mm - they were definitely the better team though. Glad that you enjoyed.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

inverdale asked schmidt or gatland for lions coach - and keith wood didnt comment. comedy.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Ireland deserved to win because they executed a simple Plan A flawlessly, preyed on naive England mistakes under pressure (picking up the ball from in front at least twice - U12s would blush!) and, let's be honest, got a couple of those breaks that tend to go to teams on top (the try was very well taken but the ball could have bounced anywhere before being secured). The score tells the story. If Ireland can go to Cardiff with a Plan B as well - which they'll need against far more streetwise Welsh - and win then they'll deserve a GS.

From an England standpoint, I'm not too down. I thought we looked more the dangerous ball with in hand. We can also look forward to the return of eg M Brown, Tuilagi (for Burrell), and 1st choice second rows.

Yep - true that.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

On the positive side seeing as it's a RWC year we have a lot of depth of players with game time in the england shirt to call on.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm

Yes Tighthead - a lot of players have been properly blooded which is useful.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:28 pm

quinsforever wrote:inverdale asked schmidt or gatland for lions coach - and keith wood didnt comment. comedy.

A tad uncomfortable I felt!!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Fantasticbarnsmell Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:31 pm

Is it customary to complain about the ref, because Joubert did a fine job with that game all things considered... Not sure why all the bleating.

Fantasticbarnsmell

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

TightHEAD wrote:So frustrating both SL and Robshaw talk a good game but we just don't lean from our mistakes, we still have no idea what our 1st team is.

Folks on here forget quickly, 1 bad game and we're Poopie. A couple of good ones and we're brilliant.

It just does not work like that.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:36 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Ireland deserved to win because they executed a simple Plan A flawlessly, preyed on naive England mistakes under pressure (picking up the ball from in front at least twice - U12s would blush!) and, let's be honest, got a couple of those breaks that tend to go to teams on top (the try was very well taken but the ball could have bounced anywhere before being secured). The score tells the story. If Ireland can go to Cardiff with a Plan B as well - which they'll need against far more streetwise Welsh - and win then they'll deserve a GS.

Good post. I'm not too despondent either. Ireland were better on the day. England made too many mistakes but came back well when other sides might have folded.

Two big games at home now.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm

Ireland was just better today.

Better disiplined. Better goal kicking. Better at the ruck and break down.

England had too much to do in the second half. Good try by Ireland, and England just not tacticly good enough. Ireland a more experienced team as well.

So well done Ireland. The Grand Slam is your's to lose now.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:38 pm

Nathan it's not so much that.

Im frustrated that it's areas we know we have been bad at that just aren't being fixed.

We know our breakdown is average.. Ireland deliberately targeted us there. Why aren't we fixing it. Hell if it takes hiring a kiwi or Aussie to focus solely on that so be it...but just fix it.

And our kicking has been poor for ages. We don't kick for touch or for space....seemingly aimless straight to to the opposition.

Ireland played tactically very well and stuck to their plan. But we made them look much better Than we should have.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:38 pm

Fantasticbarnsmell wrote:Is it customary to complain about the ref, because Joubert did a fine job with that game all things considered... Not sure why all the bleating.

You must of been watching a different game, or was that one of those pre-made quotes, you know the "im a better man than you because I don't complain about the ref".

I think we can all agree there were a fair few dodgy calls, but I don't think anyone is saying that's the reason england lost.

England gave away to many penalties, our half backs didn't control the game well enough either. I actually though that could of been a game for Owen Farrell to come on as a sub.

Our forwards didn't really help youngs at ruck time, they didn't look interested until the last 20 when there was nice clean ball available.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:39 pm

Seriously? Wow! I'd love to hear how you would articulate what Wales did to England two years ago in Cardiff, then!! Whistle
At the risk of immodesty, I humbly suggest my own comment further up this thread is a more accurate reflection of a clear, deserved but not really overwhelming Ireland win.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:40 pm

Ireland play a very limited game although executed well today but with out Saxton I don't think it works out

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Nathan it's not so much that.

Im frustrated that it's areas we know we have been bad at that just aren't being fixed.

We know our breakdown is average..  Ireland deliberately targeted us there. Why aren't we fixing it. Hell if it takes hiring a kiwi or Aussie to focus solely on that so be it...but just fix it.

And our kicking has been poor for ages. We don't kick for touch or for space....seemingly aimless straight to to the opposition.  

Ireland played tactically very well and stuck to their plan. But we made them look much better Than we should have.  

Our breakdown isn't always as bad as you say though and Ireland are one of the best at the breakdown, I think if Farrell was playing we would of done a lot better. I'm not saying he should start ahead of ford but I think if he was on at half time we would of played in the right areas

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

Well played Ireland, just not good enough today.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

Still don't understand why Cipriani in the team and not brought on to had a bit of spice to the team.

Easter as done well since he came into the team, but is he and Croft the Answer to any problems in that the England scrum and line out?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fantasticbarnsmell Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

nathan wrote:
Fantasticbarnsmell wrote:Is it customary to complain about the ref, because Joubert did a fine job with that game all things considered... Not sure why all the bleating.

You must of been watching a different game, or was that one of those pre-made quotes, you know the "im a better man than you because I don't complain about the ref".

I think we can all agree there were a fair few dodgy calls, but I don't think anyone is saying that's the reason england lost..

Are you suggesting that, in the context of your standard referring performance (which almost always includes are few dodgy calls), that this performance was of such a poor standard that it warranted mention? I'm not saying it was perfect, I'm just saying it was no worse than what has become the standard. The outcome of the game was in no way influenced by the referee, so I can't see the point of complaining.

Fantasticbarnsmell

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:44 pm

Jesus that was a dull affair!

England were just too immature at times, poor decision making and silly penalties killed us.

Got to say the coaches ballsed up massively, why change our gameplan to kick chase against the very best kicking team out there? Just baffling!

Lastly the look of glee on Jouberts face when he got to call that forward pass at the end says it all about his performance.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:48 pm

For 20 minutes in each half Ireland executed their kick and chase to perfection. We had chances when they fell away, and we were vot good enough to take advantage. Made loads of ground ball in hand, then usually gave away brainless penalties.

Correct team won.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

England were very poor indeed in my opinion. The handling errors was far too high. The discipline was absolutely atrocious. Lineout - an absolute shambles. Sluggish at the breakdown, poor ball retention.

Credit must be given to Ireland's gameplan which worked like clockwork but it was very predictable. Someone needed to take charge and help England gain some momentum.

I expect Goode will be the scapegoat but I thought he was no more error strewn than the rest of the team ( he actually dug England out of some precarious positions too).

Ford was completely outplayed by Sexton who controlled the match very well until his injury.

England looked devoid of leadership and ideas for most of the game.

Ford's kicking from the restart was poor - giving his team no chance to pick up the kick off and allowing Zebo to catch the ball uncontested. In comparison Sextons kicks were well weighted.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_rugby Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

Doh

Steve_rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:53 pm

Refs almost always appear to be kinder to dominant sides, just as bounces and 50/50 moments seem to favour the side on top. Lord knows the England team in 2002-3 had huge slices of luck at key moments (eg Michalak's place kicking horror show in the RWC 2003 S-F). So it was today.

I would prefer to think that any smile on Joubert's face at the end would have been an ironic appreciation that the closing play just about summed up today as one of those 'nearly but not quite at key moments' days for England. Any English moaning about Joubert simply misses the point that Ireland deserved to win and makes us look stupid and petty. I may be the former but I'm definitely not the latter: instead, I say (ok, through gritted teeth, I admit) 'well done Ireland, you won on merit'.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brennus Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm

It was a very interesting game in terms of tactics. A Titanic affair up front which I really enjoyed. I don't want to sound smug but I thought we(Ireland) were fairly comfortable throughout the game, probably due to the amount of possession we had. Maybe on another day it would've been a different result but I thought we brought more intensity to the game. England got turned over 22 times in the game which is a ridiculous amount. Hard luck England. Next Stop - Cardiff.

Brennus

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:58 pm

It's in the eye of the beholder I guess - I thought that it was a fascinating clash. Modern rugby means that the days of lovely outside breaks leading to flying wings touching down in the corner in games between closely-matched sides are going to be thin on the ground, I'm afraid.

Ireland were virtually mistake-free when it mattered; England were anything but. The greater experience and nous in certain positions were crucial here. Thought Vunipola was a handful for most of the game; otherwise, Ireland's back-row was immense, comfortably blotting out Haskell and Robshaw. There and especially at the hinge, Ireland had the extra quality that won the game. Totally agreed with Keith Wood that Murray ought to have been MoM - he's been superb for a year or two now, but I thought that was his finest game in green. Sexton's field generalship, his kicking from hand and tee, his defence and his all-round influence put George Ford in the shade, well though Ford actually played and competed.

Defensively, England's back three went pretty well, on the whole - Nowell, Watson and Goode also had their moments with ball in hand; their kicking game and that of the team as a whole veered from the aimless to the non-existent. Tactically, I felt that there was only one side who really seemed to understand what they were attempting.

On the negative side, I am a bit weary of seeing Ireland fall well off the pace in the final quarter, having apparently hung up the 'job done' signs. That's twice in a row now and I hope it soesn't come and bite the team on the backside before this season is done. Sure, Sexton is a huge influence, but there is no excuse for the intensity to drop off by that much. It's a minor criticism of a fantastic and well-deserved win.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:59 pm

Simonofsurrey is anyone really moaning about Joubert? Sure I think Ireland got a bit lucky - particularly with the up and unders but they created those opportunities. England didn't have an answer to Ireland's simple but effective gameplan.

Ireland completely robbed England of any momentum and punished the poor discipline and numerous errors.

A well deserved win for Ireland. It wasn't pretty but if you're Irish you'll be happy I expect.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm

Have to say Ireland need to look at a different no.23 than Jones,Payne has gone off injured pretty regularly since he's qualified to play for us and there's too much reshuffling ,I'd put Earls in there.Jones is a good player and it's not a knock against him I just don't think he's what we need on the bench.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:05 pm

Great so England give Wales a doin' they come to Murrayfield and take it out on us.

England give Italy a doin' they come to Murrayfield and take it out on us.

Ireland give England a doin' we come to Twickenham for them to take it out on us.

Wales give Ireland a doin' next week, they come to Murrayfield to take it out on us.

Scotland #SixNationsPunchingBag
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:05 pm

beshocked: I posted about Joubert in response to the posts from nathan in Fantasticbarnsmell's of 18:43, then the last line of yappysnap's just below that. Those seemed to me to be hinting at derring do from Craig J...

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:07 pm

Really ?yes one try to nil and daft England infringements. Ireland were better more accurate certainly, England = too many errors. Anyway Maesteg your turn next in Cardiff.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:08 pm

The breakdown was the biggest key were England lost the game for me. They actually did some reasonable things with ball in hand, they just couldn't string any phases together and get consistent quick ball with Ireland, and the back row especially, being absolute buggers over the ball. Meant Ford wasn't really given the chance to get his backs in the game. I don't think JJ had any real chance to do anything all day.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:13 pm

Jdizzle I agree partly but it's the whole team's responsibility to secure the ball. I just felt England in general didn't have any momentum to build off - set piece was poor, ball retention was poor, discipline poor, decision making poor.

It's no surprise England lost because they struggled to gain any foothold in the game. Ford 's decision making wasn't great either.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

I think England have really missed Ben Morgan, I know some have said BV has been very good but I just haven't seen it and expected him to male more of his chance having got the jersey back after Morgans injury.

I guess there will be a lot of discussions and fingers pointed etc but for me England have to keep faith in the likes of Ford, Joseph and Watson.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next