The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KP Returns?

+11
Good Golly I'm Olly
Nakatomi Plaza
guildfordbat
Pal Joey
VTR
msp83
KP_fan
Gooseberry
Nachos Jones
Corporalhumblebucket
kingraf
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

KP Returns? - Page 2 Empty KP Returns?

Post by kingraf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rather interesting set of affairs.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/841723.html

Seems KP and an England return is destined to be cricket's Pacquiao-Mayweather, or more pertinently, Ross and Rachel until he retires. For what it's worth I'm not convinced anything could have gone differently over the last year if KP was back. Last five years averaged in the low 30s for ODI and low 40s for test. The genius who simply ran out of work to produce. Given what has transpired since, though, certainly worth a gamble on a faded genius than guys who possibly just don't have "it".
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

KP Returns? - Page 2 Empty Re: KP Returns?

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 Mar 2015, 12:18 pm

Surrey have just announced that they have re-signed Pietersen and he will be available for the first CC match (away to Glamorgan) of the season.

Alec Stewart, executive director of cricket, confirmed that Pietersen's involvement will predominantly be with 4 day cricket but that will be assessed as matters develop.

Pietersen has been released by Sunrisers Hyderabad from the group stages of the IPL competition although could be recalled by them if they reach the final rounds which would cause him to miss Surrey's fourth and fifth CC games.

To the best of my knowledge, Pietersen is still contracted to play Caribbean t20 in late June and through July. I would guess that won't be so much of an issue for Surrey by then. Either he will have fallen flat on his face and Surrey will be pleased to have him off the pay roll or, very unlikely as it may seem, England will be wanting him which will leave the ECB to untangle his Caribbean contract.

Stewart is no mug and well understands the controversy that has gone in Pietersen's wake. However, he again emphasised that Pietersen's conduct has been 'outstanding' throughout his years at Surrey. Stewart added that he hoped that Surrey were providing an opportunity for Pietersen to knock on the England door and that he would help the club in the process 'with centuries and double centuries'. As if anticipating criticism of buying in success, Stewart also commented that other younger players were benefiting from their opportunities and looking as if they might in turn benefit England; specific reference being made to Roy, Ansari and Dunn.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

KP doing his bit, but I am sure the clowns at the ECB will yet again turn this into another mess.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Mar 2015, 4:42 pm

msp83 wrote:KP doing his bit, but I am sure the clowns at the ECB will yet again turn this into another mess.

Like Pietersen is innocent? Guy is a jerk who used to be a very good cricketer.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 Mar 2015, 4:48 pm

Since learned that Pietersen is donating his Surrey earnings to a children's charity he set up. Depending which camp you are in, this is clearly:
a) a cynical PR stunt to curry favour with a gullible public by someone who already has more money that he needs; or
b) a genuine and heartfelt act by a complex and often misunderstood individual.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:20 pm

This is all very tiresome.

That said, I've always believed your intentions for donating money to a charity make no difference to the kids with new toys, or a new bed. So whatever the reason, good on him
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

kingraf wrote:This is all very tiresome.

''Rather interesting state of affairs'' was the OP's take at the start of the month. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:34 pm

It was interesting, then amusing, then bemusing, now tiresome! Guess after three weeks it dawned on me that I don't actually care.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm

I understand the main reason is to avoid having UK earnings and thus creating a UK tax bill on worldwide earnings.

This way a charity gets money, and Pietersen does not have to pay a tax bill larger than the sum donated.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:38 pm

kingraf wrote:It was interesting, then amusing, then bemusing, now tiresome! Guess after three weeks it dawned on me that I don't actually care.

No reason you should.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Wed 25 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Since learned that Pietersen is donating his Surrey earnings to a children's charity he set up. Depending which camp you are in, this is clearly:
a) a cynical PR stunt to curry favour with a gullible public by someone who already has more money that he needs; or
b) a genuine and heartfelt act by a complex and often misunderstood individual.
Who cares, what a great thing to do regardless. Rooting for him.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 26 Mar 2015, 1:07 am

If you find it tiresome and you 'don't care', why comment?

Guildford, imagine if he does all this then barely scores any runs, resulting in him not getting picked for England!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2