The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

+26
Nachos Jones_1
The Saint
Gwlad
TightHEAD
EWT Spoons
stub
lostinwales
rodders
nobbled
Barney McGrew did it
GavinDragon
Poorfour
MissBlennerhassett
wayne
Taylorman
doctor_grey
Sin é
TheRugbyMaster
LondonTiger
SecretFly
No 7&1/2
Duty281
GunsGerms
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
GLove39
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  Empty Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

Post by GLove39 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Sad

ESPN wrote:Veteran referee Steve Walsh has retired with immediate effect, the 43-year-old whistle-blower calling time on his 18-year Super Rugby career to pursue personal business interests.

Walsh made the announcement via an Australian Rugby Union press release on Friday morning, saying it would be unfair to continue when he wasn't completely focused on officiating.

"I have lived my dream and I am truly grateful for every experience that I have had in rugby. It's been an incredible journey," Walsh said. "I would be doing all of the key stakeholders in the game - from officials to the players to the fans - an injustice if I was unable to 100 per cent channel my energies and devote my full attention towards refereeing Super Rugby and Test Matches. I would not want my new focus to impact the integrity of the competitions I am involved in.

"I will be forever indebted to Australian Rugby for including me so openly following a difficult period for me personally. I would also like to acknowledge my time with New Zealand Rugby. Their decision to end my contract in 2009 was challenging, but was ultimately the best thing has ever happened in my life. It made me confront who I was and how I carried myself."

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver paid tribute to Walsh, saying the 56-Test official had shown great respect and integrity for the game in making the decision to retire.

"On behalf of everyone at the ARU, I would like to wish Steve all the best in his future endeavours. His departure is a big loss to Australian rugby and the game globally, but we fully respect Steve's decision to pursue his own personal dreams and wish him well. In making this significant decision, Steve has displayed a strong level of integrity and respect for the game.

"Steve has been a terrific ambassador for Australian rugby - whether it be at Six Nations games on the other side of the world, in the spotlight officiating World Cup games or refereeing Super Rugby fixtures - living the core values of our sport day in, day out and inspiring the next generation of match officials in this country. We now look forward to continuing to support the development of our next tier of match officials to reach and hopefully exceed the levels attained by Steve through his career."

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  Empty Re: Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

Post by Pot Hale Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Explain?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  Empty Re: Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 pm

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/26735330/steve-walsh-to-retire-from-rugby/

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Can he please bring Wayne Barnes with him?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Can he please bring Wayne Barnes with him?

Just made this exact post on another board Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Immediate effect?

But he is still reffing England-France on Saturday, right?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:Immediate effect?

Nope, apparently Nigel Owens is doing it now

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 pm

He d already pulled out of Englands game Owens reffing. Anyone know what his business is that he s moving to?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:He d already pulled out of Englands game Owens reffing. Anyone know what his business is that he s moving to?

He recently pulled out of a game to do some sort of marketing/advertising thing, may be related.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Laugh You couldn't write this stuff!

God that game better work out well for England!!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:31 pm

GLove39 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Immediate effect?

Nope, apparently Nigel Owens is doing it now

Thanks! Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:33 pm

All I can say is that Walsh has acted so single purposely on his 'personal business' issue - not even sidetracking it until after the Six Nations - that he must have made a bloody fortune these last few weeks!  That's all I can think.  The man is more than goodlooking after all.  There is a big brain under that lustrous hair.

I'll genuinely miss him.  He was a character.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:34 pm

I would rather have had Walsh. At least we know where we stand with him. With Owens we have no idea which laws he will decide to ignore this weekend.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 pm

Irelands bogey ref steps in to ref their game at the last minute and englands bogey drops out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I would rather have had Walsh. At least we know where we stand with him. With Owens we have no idea which laws he will decide to ignore this weekend.

If you attack hard, you should be okay. He favours attacking sides. Could be a good day for England if they have a target to chase and France don't turn up with an attack strategy of their own.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 pm

Going to miss Walsh & his motivational tat

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  Lle8mBm

Last edited by GLove39 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I wonder what the business is?
Will it mean we'll still see him in a rugby context, I wonder?
Or is he off to Hollywood to take over as Wolverine from Hugh Jackman?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm gutted. But he was replaced as my favourite ref by Wayne Barnes last weekend, so maybe it was time for him to retire.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRugbyMaster Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:38 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Irelands bogey ref steps in to ref their game at the last minute and englands bogey drops out.

RFU pulling out all the stops this time by the looks!

TheRugbyMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:59 pm

SecretFly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I would rather have had Walsh. At least we know where we stand with him. With Owens we have no idea which laws he will decide to ignore this weekend.

If you attack hard, you should be okay.  He favours attacking sides.  Could be a good day for England if they have a target to chase and France don't turn up with an attack strategy of their own.

Only at the breakdown where they can pretty much do what they like. Oh and pass the ball forward with impunity.

Come set-piece time, and he usually is perfectly happy with people breaking off the scrum, standing up, slipping binds etc, while at Lineout time he seems to allow all sorts of mid air interference, just so long as you do not grab the body. Pulling the jumpers arm away seems perfectly valid.

Now France may have a set-piece advantage, so it could work in our favour - but if we are to win I do not wish it to be because the ref allowed us to cheat.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 am

From reading SH press, it seems Walsh was heavily criticised for how he reffed the Warataha v the force game in February. I wonder has he fallen off the wagon?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/referees-as-accountable-as-players-for-super-rugby-excitement-says-wallaby-great-simon-poidevin-20150219-13jj9q.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:15 am

Walsh is/was a very troubled individual who should never have been in the pressurized cauldron of officiating Rugby matches.  Whether people thought him a good referee or a poor one, neutral or biased, he made the cardinal sin of making the game about himself.  Who really knows why he has outed himself with such suddenness?  Hopefully the comments about commercial opportunities are real.  

He also had kickin' hair.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:23 am

Think he has retail interests on the Sunshine Coast. Can't do a lot worse than that I suppose.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:20 am

doctor_grey wrote:Walsh is/was a very troubled individual who should never have been in the pressurized cauldron of officiating Rugby matches.  Whether people thought him a good referee or a poor one, neutral or biased, he made the cardinal sin of making the game about himself.  Who really knows why he has outed himself with such suddenness?  Hopefully the comments about commercial opportunities are real.  

Zoolander 2 has started filming. Has to have something to do with that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:21 am

So that is a Welsh Referee, conspiring with a fellow countryman as one touch judge, and the other touch judge from the other country with a major chance of winning the 6N, the conspiracy theorists will have a field day, whatever the result.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:23 am

Jokes aside Im sure there has been a sudden injection of English interest in whatever business interest he has and he received an offer he cant refuse.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:26 am

TheRugbyMaster wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Irelands bogey ref steps in to ref their game at the last minute and englands bogey drops out.

RFU pulling out all the stops this time by the looks!

Back to normal quickly this time. Pretty sad.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:55 am

Good on him, he's probably sick of it, don't blame him for giving it the two finger salute. So where does Walsh sit on the scale, 1 being top notch and 10 being woeful?

1. Joubert
10. Barnes

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:05 am

Thank goodness for small mercies. If only all the continuing referees would now take a leaf out of Barnes's book and ref the breakdown strictly and fairly to ensure fast flowing games.

One terrible ref gone and now perhaps with the Barnes influence, a higher standard of reffing all round.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:35 am

GunsGerms wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Walsh is/was a very troubled individual who should never have been in the pressurized cauldron of officiating Rugby matches.  Whether people thought him a good referee or a poor one, neutral or biased, he made the cardinal sin of making the game about himself.  Who really knows why he has outed himself with such suddenness?  Hopefully the comments about commercial opportunities are real.  

Zoolander 2 has started filming. Has to have something to do with that.

Thank you Guns, that's raised a big smile on a grey morning.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:41 am

So how does this wreck Irish chances of the title?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:47 am

MissBlennerhassett, you're being facetious right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 am

To be honest ebop, often when the SH teams tour the NH in the autumn we hear complaints that NH players are allowed to lie all over the ball at the breakdown; are able to slow the ball down; etc. The argument being that this is reffed much more strictly in the SH by SH refs. We hear the old 'you'll come unstuck when you tour down here in the summer/when we meet in the world cup'. Barnes took no nonsense in that area on Saturday and blew up for a lot of penalties for these very things. I would have thought SH rugby fans would have liked his style of refereeing, or more specifically the way he was trying to force the NH players to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 am

I dont think that Nigel Owens should be reffing any game on Saturday with the result having a bearing on Wales title hopes (potentially)

Just opens up his performance to acusations of bias.

Coudlnt they have got SH refs for these games?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:05 am

Owen's is a professional Gavin, he's made mistakes before, he may do on Saturday it's not bias if he does. Anyone saying that needs to put their pet lip back in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:06 am

ebop wrote:Good on him, he's probably sick of it, don't blame him for giving it the two finger salute.  So where does Walsh sit on the scale, 1 being top notch and 10 being woeful?

1. Joubert
10. Barnes

According to my son, I vary between being the 6th and 2nd worst referee in the world, depending on my recent performances and whether I have disallowed any of his tries. But I have never reached rock bottom in his eyes. That has always been reserved for Mr Walsh (although with his retirement, I think the place has been taken by the guy who had the whistle at their semi-final last week)

More seriously, my personal view is that Garces and Poite are right up there for technical accuracy at the moment, and I much prefer the French approach to refereeing, which makes better use of the idea of materiality - ignoring technical infringements that aren't affecting the game. Poite is probably the best at getting marginal technical calls right even in the face of a noisy crowd arguing the other way.

Joubert and Peyper are also technically sound but go too far in favouring defences at the breakdown, which makes for a dull game. Barnes seems to focus on the wrong things at the scrum, and is exceptionally good at blowing up for very pernickety technical points that he could let go; when he does have a more relaxed day with the whistle, it makes for a better game.

Owens was probably the best referee for entertainment value, both in terms of game management and banter, but I think his technical standards have fallen badly in the last 18 months and it's brought down his overall performance. The next closest in style is probably JP Doyle, but he's not established at international level.

Chris Pollock and Pascal Gauzere I know I have seen but can't remember anything about, which is probably a good sign. I didn't even know that Matthieu Raynal was on the panel until I checked - but it says a lot that France provides 4 out of 11 members of the panel (4 out of 10 now until Walsh is replaced).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:08 am

GavinDragon wrote:I dont think that Nigel Owens should be reffing any game on Saturday with the result having a bearing on Wales title hopes (potentially)

They did. He quit.

As an English fan, I have no problem whatsoever with Nige in terms of bias. He is a very good ref, and was for a very long time a great one. If I have an issue it is that he makes too many mistakes - but I don't think anyone would seriously claim they are anything other than mistakes,
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:42 am

Well up to this bombshell I was persuaded it was Barnes' fault. Now I'm sure it's Walsh's. This weekend I'm guessing it'll be Owen's.

I'm really going to miss Stevie W's hair though.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRugbyMaster Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 am

Poorfour wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:I dont think that Nigel Owens should be reffing any game on Saturday with the result having a bearing on Wales title hopes (potentially)

They did. He quit.

As an English fan, I have no problem whatsoever with Nige in terms of bias. He is a very good ref, and was for a very long time a great one. If I have an issue it is that he makes too many mistakes - but I don't think anyone would seriously claim they are anything other than mistakes,

How's that different to an English ref impacting last weekends result (in some peoples view - not mine)

TheRugbyMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:46 am

Bloody hell Walsh! I was nice and relaxed going into this game - Walsh is reffing, we don't have a hope...I can relax - watch England butcher some chances, watch France get penalty after penalty and drink myself silly.

Now with Barnes our destiny really is in our own hands. Arse. I get to be nervous again.

Still expect us to butcher a few opportunities, but we might just win!
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:59 am

The RFU/IRB fix continues. Anything to help England lift the trophy.... they'll probably use a cloud machine over Murrayfield too.

If only the GreyGhost was here to see it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:59 am

If only eh.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am

Is there a witch burning emoticon available?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:57 am

Good post Poorfour Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:14 am

Makes me think of the look on Tom Youngs face in THAT match at the last scrum before he was subbed. He looked at Walsh and you could tell that he knew whatever he did Walsh was going to blow his whistle for a penalty. (He did)

I dislike the constant blaming everything on the ref routine, but in this case I'd make an exception.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:35 am

GunsGerms wrote:Jokes aside Im sure there has been a sudden injection of English interest in whatever business interest he has and he received an offer he cant refuse.

Perhaps he's been offered a hairdressing business at Twickenham?

I always dreaded it when he reffed England but hope he goes on to do something that makes him happy.

More than happy with Owens for Saturday.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:35 am

GunsGerms wrote:Jokes aside Im sure there has been a sudden injection of English interest in whatever business interest he has and he received an offer he cant refuse.

I always dreaded it when he reffed England but hope he goes on to do something that makes him happy.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:36 am

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next