The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Walsh - was he pushed ?

+10
doctor_grey
Barney McGrew did it
aucklandlaurie
SecretFly
LondonTiger
Nachos Jones_1
offload
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
gregortree
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steve Walsh - was he pushed ? - Page 2 Empty Steve Walsh - was he pushed ?

Post by gregortree Tue 24 Mar 2015, 10:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Being bored with the usual 6n post mortems hashing over same ground, so I'm starting a slightly different one.
First though: congrats to Wales England Ireland on such a tightly fought competition overall, for an exceptionally entertaining Super Saturday and finally to Ireland for a well won title.

Now, I for one think Steve Walsh and or the AFU contributed by pulling said Mr Walsh at the last moment before Super Saturday.
Guys at the pub thought he was reffing the match until I mentioned he was not; and I'm glad we had Nigel Owens.

But what was that last minute retirement timing all about ? Headscratch

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh - was he pushed ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Steve Walsh - was he pushed ?

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:19 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Incidentally Pete I think Owens is a fantastic ref but he's made some blatent mistakes. Respect the refs and the hard jobs they do.

Once again I reply to your post with a resounding 'god yeah' Smile
Any rugby ref at any level has a mind the like of we mortals can only dream of and balls the size of planetoids. It's a task only a tiny percentage could attempt let alone master so kudos to all refs especially RedStag who used to be one of our finest posters Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:21 am

Poorfour wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:The problem with Barnes once again is that he treats some teams differently and his decisions are not consistent so therefore not predictable. Ireland were penalised 10 times and Wales 11 times. This is despite Ireland having vastly more posession and terrotity and Wales defending way more rucks and defending way more in general. Im sorry but his refereeing does not add up to anything remotely consistent or fair whatsoever at all.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but World Rugby doesn't agree, does it? And it didn't agree with me about Walsh.

But having trained as a ref, I now watch their decision-making very closely. Every ref has occasional howlers but it is very rare to see a ref consistently making decisions for which there is no sound technical justification. (The only example I can think of is Steve Walsh's repeated failure to spot - or even look for - Adam Jones's illegal bind in the 2012 Wales-England match)

For several years, Barnes refereed pretty much every game between Quins and Tigers, and Quins always seemed to get the worst of it. There were some bad mistakes (carding Will Skinner for picking up a ball that had popped out of a scrum - one he admitted at a talk on refereeing I attended), but far more cases where he had spotted something that was not immediately obvious to the crowd but was technically entirely justifiable.  I may not have liked the decisions, and I'm fully aware that another ref might have interpreted the same event differently. But his decisions were not wrong.

The only thing a ref can do is set out his stall for how he wants to ref the game, be consistent in his decisions and clear in his explanations, and give the captains a fair hearing if they want clarification or to bring something to his attention. Barnes wasn't being inconsistent, he was being consistent with his own standards - the fact that it's happened twice should tell you that. The problem is that Ireland were consistently playing in a way that led to infringements.

Teams play the game in different ways. That means that sometimes that will suit what the ref is looking for and sometimes it won't. Tough. What he can't do is try to referee to the style of both teams, because that would mean applying different standards and it would be almost impossible to avoid bias.

The only practical option for a ref when confronted by two different styles is to adjust his view of what is material. Owens and the French refs do this well: they will tolerate a certain amount of mess, and a certain level of infringement in the game as long as it is not interfering with the flow of the game and giving the less-infringing side a consistent disadvantage.

Barnes (and Clancy) are much more in the mould of blowing up for whatever they see. I know whose style I prefer - and it's telling that of 10 refs on the international panel, 4 are French and one is Owens.

The problem with Barnes is what he tends to do is penalise one team correctly for reasons that we can all accept are penalties but he doesnt apply the same judgement to the other team. Therefore it is harder to spot than when a ref is penalising a team for panalties that arent penalties.

Personally I do think that Steve Walsh was very biased against England and there is lots of history there.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:27 am

There's none so blind as those that won't see!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:There's none so blind as those that won't see!

Are you really as much an authority on the subject as you claim to be? Can you honestly say you have watched the last 13 or so Ireland games that Barnes has reffed? Or are you passing comment blindly as you believe what you want to believe?

My guess is you probably didnt even watch Ireland v Wales this year.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

I watch most internationals so I will have seen the majority.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:28 pm

allegedly according to a guy on the tube this morning he had a problem with Ale Ale Ale Ale guinness guinness guinness RedWine RedWine RedWine Whisky Whisky Whisky    .................probably rubbish....

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm

I get the drink issues but Heinz Tomato Ketchup?????

Poor fella. Hope he gets all that sorted.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:39 pm

Ketchup goes with the burger after drinking the previous lot

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Mar 2015, 5:40 pm

I thought that was brown ale.

Alcohol abuse, and his subsequent behaviour was why he was drummed out of NZ refereeing. I hope for his sake that he is still on the wagon.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2