The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto up next for Khan?

+11
Coxy001
Dipper Brown
3fingers
ShahenshahG
hampo17
Marco_Marky - Stuffington
owen10ozzy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Steffan
mobilemaster8
Kareem61
15 posters

Go down

Cotto up next for Khan? Empty Cotto up next for Khan?

Post by Kareem61 Thu 26 Mar 2015, 9:28 pm

It's being widely suggested that Amir Khans next opponent will be Miguel Cotto. Is this a good option for either of them and what would a win/loss do for either of their careers respectively?

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Cotto up next for Khan? Empty Re: Cotto up next for Khan?

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 26 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm

Well this is very interesting because on one hand....Cotto could absolutely seek and destroy Khan within 3 rounds......but on the other....Cotto could be outboxed all night (see Trout)......and lose a lopsided decision.

Big risk little reward for Cotto in my opinion but depends on which Khan shows up and how he looks at MW or LMW

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 Mar 2015, 10:43 pm

Khan will win this. He will outbox Cotto to a points victory and even though Khan might take a few shots on the way this will be a good name on his CV

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 26 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm

Cotto the great middleweight king faces a man who was slapped about at 140 and hasnt won a title at 147

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 26 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm

And they say Cotto isn't avoiding GGG!! Used to have all the time in the world for Miguel, but ...between making negotiations with Martinez extremely difficult to masquerading as a Middleweight kingpin and then dropping out of a potential fight with Alvarez to try and chase Mayweather into a catchweight fight for his Middleweight title he's really starting to grate on me.

You can't fault Khan here and have to give him props for choosing a man who has been operating at the higher weights for past 3 years. Cotto is tough and can bang (as well as being naturally bigger) so have to make him a big favourite should it go ahead.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco_Marky - Stuffington Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:10 am

Who'd have thought Khan would have the chance to become THE man at middleweight.

Marco_Marky - Stuffington

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:29 am

Problem with Khan being the man at middleweight, is that he's daft/brave enough to challenge GGG.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:52 am

Not good for him Hampo. But I do appreciate the madness and the sheer guts of the lad haha

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:46 am

Is this another Ward vs Mayorga thread?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 7:33 am

This fight isn't really close to a circus act is it?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 27 Mar 2015, 7:54 am

I cant picture it, to be honest. Be surprised if it happens.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 27 Mar 2015, 8:42 am

No but it's probably got as much truth to it.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 8:47 am

As many know I'm not Khan's biggest fan, but I do give him his due for fighting Cotto if it were to happen. I give Cotto no props whatsoever for taking on a chinny guy who got slapped around at 140 not so long ago.

It will be a massacre though. Trout, unlike Khan, had the size and power to keep Cotto honest. Khan simply take the shots from a guy that big and that good.. It will end in a knockout for Cotto, to suggest otherwise is nuthugging of the highest order. There is simply no factually based reason as to how Khan wins.

Props though for wanting to go up against a modern legend and to feel how it is to get knocked out again.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 27 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

More fighters would have more losses if they fought the standard of opposition khan faces.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 9:26 am

3fingers wrote:More fighters would have more losses if they fought the standard of opposition khan faces.

Agree on "some" fighters, who you naming though? And I'm nitpicking here:

Maidana
Peterson
Garcia
Collazo
Alexander

Of which he has lost two of them, so a 40% loss record to put it in to context. And he did avoid all his British rivals and didn't go down the British title route either.

His opposition has been second rate since he got sparked by Garcia down @ LWW, and I'm saying second rate world level which is what those guys were. That in itself is completely to be expected having suffered back to back losses though.... BUT - Now is the time for him to step back up in level, so someone like Thurman/Brook/Bradley would represent that. I'm still not sure why he's wanting to fight Cotto (but completely fair play for doing so).

He isn't going to be able to back him up or make Cotto reluctant to hunt him down like Pacquiao did to him, and I can't for the life of me see how he goes 12 rounds without being tagged by someone who gave Floyd (like Amir a much naturally smaller guy) a massive run for his money with controlled aggression. Khan simply won't be able to put a dent in him like Floyd did and if you can't get Cotto to be wary of stepping in to range then you're going to have massive issues.

Speed this and speed that Truss will no doubt come back with - Rollocks to all of that. Why? Because there are scales involved, he's miles quicker than Froch but you wouldn't give him a prayer of last beyond 3 rounds against him because of the natural size/power advantage he has over Amir. Cotto, although not on that extreme, is still able to simply nullify hand speed by simply walking through what is being thrown to get his own shots off. If speed was the be all end all we'd see a load of the smaller guys always fighting guys 15lbs naturally heavier than them because they've got the clear edge in speed - they don't though.

Last note.. will this be for the MW title yet they'll probably fight at a catchweight under 154 or something daft?!

Cotto, stop messing us around - fight GGG, not some chinny WW who hasn't even proven himself at that particular weight yet.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

Poor Miguel....People here slating him for fighting Khan who has beaten Alexander, Paulie, Judah and Maidana...Guess they'd rather he fought GGG who apparently deserves it more because he's beaten crud like Macklin, Murray types!!!....

Guess Haz will stick the boot in too....Hey....

Pick Khan to beat Floyd now....Nunn, Tate, Graham etc all beat GGG but hey....That's ok because he's a "real fighter." MAKES ME VOMIT!!!

Khan too small and undeserving of a shot at the Middleweight title....But a slapped off Leonard, Benitez and Hears little Duran can fight Barkley....And that's ok with everyone! Got to love it!!!!

Think Khan is the toughtest test out there for Cotto....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:13 am

Best. Truss parody. EVER.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

88Chris05 wrote:Poor Miguel....People here slating him for fighting Khan who has beaten Alexander, Paulie, Judah and Maidana...Guess they'd rather he fought GGG who apparently deserves it more because he's beaten crud like Macklin, Murray types!!!....

Guess Haz will stick the boot in too....Hey....

Pick Khan to beat Floyd now....Nunn, Tate, Graham etc all beat GGG but hey....That's ok because he's a "real fighter." MAKES ME VOMIT!!!

Khan too small and undeserving of a shot at the Middleweight title....But a slapped off Leonard, Benitez and Hears little Duran can fight Barkley....And that's ok with everyone! Got to love it!!!!

Think Khan is the toughtest test out there for Cotto....

I had to do a double take at the username there Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:26 am

Hahahahhahahah

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:43 am

Would laugh if this actually exposes the greatest alias in 606/v2 history.

Would explain why Truss always manages to avoid getting banned.......Whistle

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:01 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Would laugh is this actually exposes the greatest alias in 606/v2 history.

Would explain why Truss always manages to avoid getting banned.......Whistle

I've always wondered how he's avoided getting banned, thanks Toppie.. we now have the answer!!! Thing is, how does he find the time to post as truss/onetwo/chris?!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:06 am

Greater question is how does he have the mental capacity to pull off the Chris persona...??!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:17 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Greater question is how does he have the mental capacity to pull off the Chris persona...??!

Must be the mother and father of all split personalities.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 27 Mar 2015, 11:18 am

Henceforth I shall be known as 88TRUSS05, Toppy.

Anyway, can't see this fight coming off and suspect it's really just the usual case of the Twitter obsessives putting their heads together and plucking names out of the sky. That's what I hope, anyway.

What Trout did against Cotto might give a fast-handed outside boxer like Khan some hope, but Trout is a guy who has fought higher than 160 a few times and carries notable physical presence. I remember thinking that Cotto would do him in with body shots on the inside as it's an area where I felt Trout had looked a bit vulnerable on his way up, but Trout bullied Cotto when he got in close which isn't really in Khan's make up. Cotto doesn't carry devastating power any higher than Welter, for me (still believe the Martinez fight should be taken with a wee pinch of salt, very good performance from Cotto though it was) but nevertheless he could still upset Khan's whiskers - again, even Trout while in control of the fight had to take his licks, but he's big and resilient enough to get up from that heavy knockdown against Canelo.

Not impossible that Khan could just outspeed Cotto all night if he fought a tactically perfect fight and never stopped moving but I can't see why either party would be looking at this as a first choice right now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

That was brilliant Chris. Found your Golovkin-Ottke review hilarious, but this was almost perfect. Forgot the "... You British types amuse me", but spot on otherwise
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 27 Mar 2015, 1:24 pm

Wow, Chris for a minute there....

Uncanny. Please never do that again.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 27 Mar 2015, 1:54 pm

Heard the Heiland guy that beat macklin is gonna get the fight

Thats the only fight ive seen of heiland he isnt very good macklin was clearly better than him but heiland is strong at 160, fit and was quite relentless if not a little crude, not sure how much was him being good or macklin being a shell

Either way wpuld be interesting to see cotto in with a proper middleweight in good physcial condition although cotto is a couple levels above heiland

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:00 pm

Well, you'd swear by what some people say that the only prerequisite to beat Cotto is weighing 160lbs. Come to think, I'm about 180, I'd kill him!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 27 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Well, you'd swear by what some people say that the only prerequisite to beat Cotto is weighing 160lbs. Come to think, I'm about 180, I'd kill him!

Well we wont know untill the middleweight champion of the world fights a healthy middleweight, but it'll probably be Brandon Rios

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down