The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin

+3
Derbymanc
hampo17
Soldier_Of_Fortune
7 posters

Go down

Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin Empty Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar - 7:58

We don't seem to discuss domestic level dust ups on here much but there is a tastey Cruiserweight fight on tonight on Boxnation between Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin.  thumbsup

Ovil.....never tasted defeat at Cruiser and the man can certainly has some power. He perfectly suits his 'Upsetter' moniker but he will the betting favourite tonight.

Matty Askin a well schooled orthodox fighter with a nice jab will hold the pyshical advantages tonight with 4" inch height advantage and slight reach advantage. Only beaten by former Ovil victim Jon Lewis Dickenson on points and stopped by Polish prosect Krzysztof Glowacki in a entertaining bout, who is next to face Marco Huck for his WBO strap.

Ovil will be dangerous early on (as always) and Askin will have to box sensibly tonight and not fight Ovil's fight. If he can keep Ovil at bay and take it to the second half of the fight, things will become interesting. The shortest round betting for Askin after round 6 is 33/1 with round 12 being at 80/1 !! I see some value there as Ovil has got a habit of becoming noticably less active and weaker as the fight goes on.

I will be throwing £3 on each round from round 6 for an Askin stoppage. £21 outlay minimum £102 return with £81 profit.

Will anyone be watching this tonight? Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin Boxing998

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin Empty Re: Ovill McKenzie v Matty Askin

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar - 8:04

There's a reason domestic bust ups don't get discussed much on here SOF, mainly because when ever domestic fighters are brought up they're described as perennial losers.

I'm watching, like both of these fighters. If Askin can survive early on I give him a decent chance.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar - 8:19

hampo171 wrote:There's a reason domestic bust ups don't get discussed much on here SOF, mainly because when ever domestic fighters are brought up they're described as perennial losers.

Well that's an absolute JOKE!! I would rather watch a competitive domestic dust up then your typical Matchroom Homefighter v TBA any day of the week (Rocky included! Laugh ).

I missed Friday Fight Nights Sad

Back to the fight, Askin hasn't got a 'bad' chin either....but I have just realised that this will be his first fight since Menay Edwards, who left the ring on a stretcher with a bleed on the brain.

That sometimes can affect fighters killer instincts.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar - 8:30

I agree mate, FFN were superb. Have a sneaky feeling McKenzie will end this inside 5, wouldn't put money on it though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar - 8:49

I used to love Friday Fight Nights. They hosted the likes of Fury v McDermott I (not a barnstormer by any means but a competitive fight in which McDermott was robbed IMO), Moore v Rhodes (Fight of the Year). Paul Samuels v Cello Renda (the double knock down!) and a majority Cleverlys early career was fought on FFN

Back to the fight, wouldn't surprise me, Ovil has got freaky power and my intial thoughts were Ovil via stoppage, best odds on Ovil anytime stoppage is 4/5. Says it all really.

But he can be outboxed!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 27 Mar - 9:11

Kids night tonight so will have to miss this unfortunately, there should be more focus on the domestic dustups and a few more write ups as the consensus is to write anyone off before they've fought for a title so some people don't know who they are.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar - 9:26

I've always been a fan of the domestic scene. I've been to my fair share of small hall shows aswell, from leisure centres to night clubs etc

That's what's disappointed the most when Matchroom got the monopoly on Sky. There used to be competition from Maloney, Warren, Hearn and Hatton to get a following by putting on competitive cards.

Now Hearn seems quite happy 'building' his fighters records against TBAs. At the detriment of competitive fights.

Might fool Joe public but I'd rather watch McKenzie v Askin over Joshua v Italian Taxi Driver.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 27 Mar - 9:35

Looking forward to this one myself. I'm a fan of McKenzie.

That said, I'm going with Askin on points. McKenzie is a very good, dangerous four-round fighter who can trouble anyone at that early stage, or even get them out of there, but as a Cruiser I think his relatively small frame makes him vulnerable to being outboxed once his power starts to fizzle out. Think the 'Upsetter' gets upset himself here but wouldn't bet anything on it. His form's been good recently but get the feeling that the younger, fresher man lasts the pace better in this one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Mar - 9:41

Always enjoy watch McKenzie fight. But you've just wasted your money, can only see OM stopping him.. probably inside 6. The odds themselves have enough value to simply back him outright though, so will be lumping on the winnings from a nice little Van Gerwin/Taylor/Anderson treble yesterday that paid 4/1.

Can't see Askin lasting the initial onslaught, is a big ask for him to deal with that. And if OM can't get him out of there Askin doesn't exactly carry jaw shattering power either and will always be wary of unloading.. unless OM completely and utterly gasses in the style of Haye vs Thompson.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar - 10:10

Coxy001 wrote:Always enjoy watch McKenzie fight. But you've just wasted your money, can only see OM stopping him.. probably inside 6. The odds themselves have enough value to simply back him outright though, so will be lumping on the winnings from a nice little Van Gerwin/Taylor/Anderson treble yesterday that paid 4/1.

Can't see Askin lasting the initial onslaught, is a big ask for him to deal with that. And if OM can't get him out of there Askin doesn't exactly carry jaw shattering power either and will always be wary of unloading.. unless OM completely and utterly gasses in the style of Haye vs Thompson.

Not put it on yet Laugh

Askin has enough power to keep himself honest thumbsup Might not do the 7 rounds I was intially planning to do but might cover the last 5.

Askin just went 11 rounds with Glowacki who is no slouch in the punching power department. If Ovil wins this, I want Ovil v Huck!!!! Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Mar - 10:24

That fight would be more entertaining than Bellew vs Huck.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar - 10:28

hampo171 wrote:That fight would be more entertaining than Bellew vs Huck.

No doubt about it thumbsup

It would be over early, but it will be a great fight whilst it lasted.....not one for the purist though! Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 27 Mar - 10:37

Nooooo give Bellew a shot. furious

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 27 Mar - 22:54

Askin's a fantastic clincher. His volume of clinches is incredible.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 27 Mar - 23:00

Askin been deducted two points for holding. Carries on holding.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 27 Mar - 23:10

Ref clearly not prepared to throw him out for holding. Message given is once you've lost two points, hold as much as you want!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 27 Mar - 23:21

McKenzie wins a split.

Would've been a disgusting way to lose the title had he not; Askin made Wlad K look like Arturo Gatti.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 28 Mar - 0:08

How did you score it, JBW? Holding or not, given that there were no deductions in the first five rounds there's a claim to be made that Askin won all of them, and I don't think it was a McKenzie shutout after that point, either. While I don't think McKenzie winning the decision was anything to raise an eyebrow at in particular, I'm at a loss as how two of those judges could have it by three and then four points in his favour. Too close for that.

But yes, Askin getting the nod would have left a bit of a bitter taste given his constant spoiling, although again I don't think there could have been much of an outcry if he'd had his hand raised at the end.

Despite the point deductions against both men it was a pretty good fight, the tenth round in particular having some cracking moments. Think Askin will look back at it and kick himself a little as he showed plenty with his jab and lead right hand (which might have had McKenzie in a bit of bother in the seventh had it not landed a split second before the bell, as it did seem to make his knees dip for a moment) to suggest that he could have won this fight without the holding and spoiling tactics, though.

I had it a draw, by the way.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 28 Mar - 0:49

Was really looking forward to that fight, but it was spoilt by the holding tactics of Askin, who when he wasn't holding proved he could easily hold his own.

I didn't really score the fight as the holding got really old really fast, but had Mckenzie lost the title in that kind of fight would have really sucked.

Really happy for him, for the most part he was the only one that came to fight and you shouldn't be allowed to steal a title from the champion. Askin should have been thrown out for all that holding, didn't get a point deduction until the 7th, which was ridiculous.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 28 Mar - 16:14

Had Ovil a point up. I wouldn't have been peed off by the judges had he lost, fair play. I'd have been peed off by the fact the guy coulda been DQ'd twice over and would've struggled to survive the final few rounds without the constant holding. Terrrible refereeing.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down