The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons vs Blues QF ECC

+7
The Saint
Cardiff Dave
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
XR
Luckless Pedestrian
GavinDragon
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragons vs Blues QF ECC Empty Dragons vs Blues QF ECC

Post by GavinDragon Mon 30 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

Thought I would start a thread on this.

I think this is a close call and our chances of success will depend largely on Boris Standovich's fitness.

My starting xv would be

15 Meyer
14 Prydie
13 Morgan
12 Dixon
11 Amos
10 Jones
9 Evans

8 Faletau
7 Griffiths
6 James Thomas
5 Coombes
4 Gough
3 Harris
2. TRT
1. Stankovich ( Fingers Crossed )

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Dragons vs Blues QF ECC Empty Re: Dragons vs Blues QF ECC

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:13 pm

My worry is that even though we've got to this stage of the tournament by playing an attack-minded game, we'll revert to a safety-first kicking game because the stakes are high.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:15 pm

2 bald men fighting over a comb.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

That's the spirit! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:33 pm

What sort of side will the blues have out?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 3:35 pm

The Dragons will win this one, the Blues are not only rubbish, with a crap work ethos, and an attitude that does not go with playing pro rugby, they have a massive amount of injuries as well. But for my sins I will be there hoping for a Blues win, but most of all hoping for a decent game of rugby.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm

LordDowlais wrote:The Dragons will win this one, the Blues are not only rubbish, with a crap work ethos, and an attitude that does not go with playing pro rugby, they have a massive amount of injuries as well. But for my sins I will be there hoping for a Blues win, but most of all hoping for a decent game of rugby.

Must be the influx of Ponty players and management

Run

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:00 pm

IronMike wrote:Must be the influx of Ponty players and management

I would say it is more to do with the spoilt brat attitudes some of them have, they do not like being pushed in training, they do not like to tackle, I have spent a fortune waiting for them to turn it around this season, if they were not based in Cardiff I would not even watch them, the players they have, they should be in the Pro12 playoffs not the lowest place Welsh region.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:17 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
IronMike wrote:Must be the influx of Ponty players and management

I would say it is more to do with the spoilt brat attitudes some of them have, they do not like being pushed in training, they do not like to tackle, I have spent a fortune waiting for them to turn it around this season, if they were not based in Cardiff I would not even watch them, the players they have, they should be in the Pro12 playoffs not the lowest place Welsh region.

I've heard that sentiment before but never quite understood it. They have good back rowers and back three players, but otherwise they're not great.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

LP, they have the experience of a Lions front row, a Welsh international at scrum half, the Welsh captain, infact they are littered with Welsh internationals, they should be doing better.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm

A Lions front row from 2009. You can't even call it yesterday's front row. And when was the last time either of the scrum halves played for Wales?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:A Lions front row from 2009. You can't even call it yesterday's front row. And when was the last time either of the scrum halves played for Wales?

thats only six years ago, the experience should still be there, Gethin is still playing for Wales, I will list the Welsh capped players off the top of my head:-

Adam Jones
Matthew Rees
Gethin Jenkins
Sam Warburton
Lloyd Williams
Alex Cuthbert
Cory Allen
Tavis Koyle

You then have the following:-

Gareth Anscombe
Rhys Patchell
the two Argies (cannot spell their names)
Josh Navidi
Kristain Dacey

Come on that is a few decent players just off the top of my head, they should be higher up the league with players like that in their team.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

I don't look at their squad and think they should be higher up the league, sorry. Just being honest. It's a while since some of those players were capped.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

Is Cudd definitely out? I would play him if he's fit
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:36 pm

I do think the Blues can quite easily beat us, even though we have home advantage. They're not that bad! (And we're not that good!). However, I agree with Luckless to a certain extent. Believe itor not being a Dragons fan I used to quite like watching the Blues. But the sort of player they had at the time when they were much stronger has left and not been replaced with the same sort of quality - my favourite time watching the Blues was with Ben Blair, Xavier Rush, Dr Roberts, Tom James (!), Martyn Williams in his prime, Molitika, Gareth Williams, Gethin Jenkins in his prime, etc. Happy days. I think I'm right in saying that there was a period when all of the above were in the same side? Cracking team. But the replacements have not, as a team, reached the height of the one with those in above.

It's a shame really as I'd love to see a strong Blues team, preferably not better than my own team, but no problem really if it is. What I don't like is the thought currently that it would be some sort of success to finish above the Blues when they're clearly struggling a bit. I'd prefer success to be judged because we'd finished above a very good Blues team instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:46 pm

I'm not saying they're rubbish, I just don't buy the idea that they should be doing better for the personnel they have. I don't think their personnel is that great, that's all.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:00 pm

Griff wrote:I do think the Blues can quite easily beat us, even though we have home advantage. They're not that bad! (And we're not that good!). However, I agree with Luckless to a certain extent. Believe  itor not being a Dragons fan I used to quite like watching the Blues. But the sort of player they had at the time when they were much stronger has left and not been replaced with the same sort of quality - my favourite time watching the Blues was with Ben Blair, Xavier Rush, Dr Roberts, Tom James (!), Martyn Williams in his prime, Molitika, Gareth Williams, Gethin Jenkins in his prime, etc. Happy days. I think I'm right in saying that there was a period when all of the above were in the same side? Cracking team. But the replacements have not, as a team, reached the height of the one with those in above.

It's a shame really as I'd love to see a strong Blues team, preferably not better than my own team, but no problem really if it is. What I don't like is the thought currently that it would be some sort of success to finish above the Blues when they're clearly struggling a bit. I'd prefer success to be judged because we'd finished above a very good Blues team instead.

Aye and not forgetting 1/2p, Shanklin, Alfie, Tito, Spice, Richie Rees, The Robinsons. Even had Andy Powell on the bench. All we lacked was a proper TH.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

The blues played some good stuff when they kept the ball vs ulster. I hope we don't revert to kicking it down their throats as I think we will be in trouble

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:12 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm not saying they're rubbish, I just don't buy the idea that they should be doing better for the personnel they have. I don't think their personnel is that great, that's all.

I can't really fault the players for all their efforts. Not convinced by those running the show however. There again, what's new?
Re; the game. A sell out Dave will witness a close encounter with the Drags winning the day unfortunately.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:21 pm

GavinDragon wrote:The blues played some good stuff when they kept the ball vs ulster. I hope we don't revert to kicking it down their throats as I think we will be in trouble

They did, they had a good offloading game going. The question is whether Ulster took their foot off the gas during that period. Either way, you're right - we can't kick poorly to them. If we take the game to them with ball in hand like Ulster did, hopefully we can build a lead.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

GavinDragon wrote:The blues played some good stuff when they kept the ball vs ulster.  I hope we don't revert to kicking it down their throats as I think we will be in trouble

I assume Patchell and Allen are out which is not good.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

Yea. But Anscombe was the difference last time at rp and he is fit. I think if Boris starts we shud win

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:00 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Yea. But Anscombe was the difference last time at rp and he is fit. I think if Boris starts we shud win

I still prefer Patchell at 10 and not just because he's ginger.
Who'll be the centres alongside Anscombe though this time around? Gavin Evans and another I guess. I wonder, if losing two of our best attacking players to injury might effect a change of strategy.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:39 pm

I too like Patchell at 10 and was disappointed that he was ousted so quickly/easily from the 10 shirt by Anscombe. I don't think Anscombe has been great since he arrived, while Patchell showed plentry of class in the games I've seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:45 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:I do think the Blues can quite easily beat us, even though we have home advantage. They're not that bad! (And we're not that good!). However, I agree with Luckless to a certain extent. Believe  itor not being a Dragons fan I used to quite like watching the Blues. But the sort of player they had at the time when they were much stronger has left and not been replaced with the same sort of quality - my favourite time watching the Blues was with Ben Blair, Xavier Rush, Dr Roberts, Tom James (!), Martyn Williams in his prime, Molitika, Gareth Williams, Gethin Jenkins in his prime, etc. Happy days. I think I'm right in saying that there was a period when all of the above were in the same side? Cracking team. But the replacements have not, as a team, reached the height of the one with those in above.

Aye and not forgetting 1/2p, Shanklin, Alfie, Tito, Spice, Richie Rees, The Robinsons. Even had Andy Powell on the bench. All we lacked was a proper TH.

Christ, were they all at the same time?! I'd forgotten. Yes of course, it's coming back to me now. That was a very good squad. I think the same has happened to the Ospreys too to a certain extent. After the Galacticos era the signings have been cut price replacements by and large. Some good value ones mind, but not up to the quality of the ones before. And it shows in league and European results. Still, nice to have been there and done it, getting some sliver wear and the t shirt along the way. We can only dream...... Until this season???... Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:02 pm

Griff wrote:I too like Patchell at 10 and was disappointed that he was ousted so quickly/easily from the 10 shirt by Anscombe. I don't think Anscombe has been great since he arrived, while Patchell showed plentry of class in the games I've seen.

Agreed and my guess is that RP wants to be a 10. He's shown he's good enough and he's defo more than big enough. Over 14 stone? Got the lot imo. Good after game speaker too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Christ, were they all at the same time?! I'd forgotten. Yes of course, it's coming back to me now. That was a very good squad. I think the same has happened to the Ospreys too to a certain extent. After the Galacticos era the signings have been cut price replacements by and large. Some good value ones mind, but not up to the quality of the ones before. And it shows in league and European results. Still, nice to have been there and done it, getting some sliver wear and the t shirt along the way. We can only dream...... Until this season???... Erm

Plus the infamous "kitchen sink" don't forget. During which was CCS of course. Best add all this to the huge list of forgotten Welsh rugby history I spose.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:36 pm

This is all in the Blues recent past though. Less than 10 years ago. Hardly time to forget it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

And then the Blues started making terrible signings like Sam Norton Knight and Dan Parks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm

Griff wrote:This is all in the Blues recent past though. Less than 10 years ago. Hardly time to forget it.

Don't start me off FFS. You know what i'm like with a bloo in me bonnet.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm

IronMike wrote:

And then the Blues started making terrible signings like Sam Norton Knight and Dan Parks

For that kick, for Scotland against the booing, we never boo the kicker ever Irish, he's a fecking legend as far as i'm concerned. Rubbish for Cardiff though. Think he made one line break during his stay and I reckon that was accidental.
The bloke who recommended SNK is still there as I understand.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 31 Mar 2015, 6:44 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:I too like Patchell at 10 and was disappointed that he was ousted so quickly/easily from the 10 shirt by Anscombe. I don't think Anscombe has been great since he arrived, while Patchell showed plentry of class in the games I've seen.

Agreed and my guess is that RP wants to be a 10. He's shown he's good enough and he's defo more than big enough. Over 14 stone? Got the lot imo. Good after game speaker too.

I liked Patchell at outside half - I remember a Dragons v Blues game a few seasons ago where he ran the show, just stood out as a class act. Criticising Anscombe is almost taboo on here, but he really has been no great shakes since he arrived. It's fair enough that they gave him the 10 shirt straightaway because he came with quite a reputation, but has he performed better than Patchell did? I wouldn't say so. So why has he been allowed to keep it?

I need him to have a bad game on Saturday now!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 31 Mar 2015, 11:22 am

Interesting call on Meyer, but a good one. He looks like a very good attacking player. How did this SA end up in Ebbw Vale? Agree 100% that's our best back-row at the moment, Coombes should be cover for that area given the injuries, so it's a shame Landman isn't available.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Mar 2015, 11:42 am

The Saint wrote:Interesting call on Meyer, but a good one. He looks like a very good attacking player. How did this SA end up in Ebbw Vale? Agree 100% that's our best back-row at the moment, Coombes should be cover for that area given the injuries, so it's a shame Landman isn't available.

I think he's on a study visa. At least I hope so as Gwent wouldn't be at the top of my list of places to go travelling!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Mar 2015, 11:51 am

No, scrap that. He's on a sporting visa, apparently. What the hell is a sporting visa? Can I get one to play for the All Blacks?!

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/11749522.Dragons_to_have_a_look_at_Ebbw_centre_Carl_Meyer_in_LV__Cup/?ref=mr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Jenkins in, Patchell and Allen out according to Chris Kirwan.

It doesn't appear that Carl Meyer is registered in Europe, so it'll be Tovey at 15. I'll also wager (given his importance to our defensive system) that Patch starts.

I think we will see this

Tovey, Prydie, Leach, Dixon, Amos, Jones, Evans, Boris/Price, TRT, Harris, Hill, Coombs, Thomas, Cudd/Benjamin, Faletau

Price/Evans, Buckley, Fairbrother, Gough, Crosswell, Jones (though I'd prefer Rees obviously), Morgan, Hewitt.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Crosswell starting though obviously Faletau is bound to be 8 and Lyn would be mad to bench Thomas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:19 pm

Shocked mad Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:23 pm

Is this game being televised ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:27 pm

Thought you were going? Yes on BT

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 02 Apr 2015, 2:31 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Thought you were going? Yes on BT

My wife has made plans, it's my daughters 14th birthday, and she does not want to go to Newport, selfish fecker, my brother and my old man are going though, ah well, the tele it is for me. That is if we are even at home for it, I swear the women in my life arrange things just to pee me off sometimes. steam

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

Ah, I see.

Dragged Up and the argus site will be interesting reads tomorrow Shocked laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 02 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

Why, what's happened?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 02 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm

I think this game is only BT sport. I got a big weekend planned so not sure if I can make this... Though as I've just found out I can't watch it at home, I'm more inclined to attend. Looks like I'll be giving the cinema a miss that night Sad #vindiesel.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Apr 2015, 7:49 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Thought I would start a thread on this.

I think this is a close call and our chances of success will depend largely on Boris Standovich's fitness.

How has Bobo gone for you this season?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:01 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Thought I would start a thread on this.

How has Bobo gone for you this season?

Our scrum now goes forward when he plays

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:02 pm

But been injured a lot

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Apr 2015, 7:58 am

He has had one pretty long term injury and is just coming back off a short term one. I was hoping he would be starting tomorrow, as I'd fancy him to have the nudge on whichever tighthead Cardiff pick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

T - 2 hours till the team announcement? Be prepared

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 03 Apr 2015, 10:08 am

Is it Saturday yet Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Apr 2015, 10:15 am

24 hours till I'm on a beer and breakfast. Can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next