The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Valleys Fighter

+4
Coxy001
Dipper Brown
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Steffan
8 posters

Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty The Valleys Fighter

Post by Steffan Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:26 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p716w/the-valleys-fighter

"A look back at some of the boxing champions that have come from the south Wales valleys. The programme also follows boxer Liam Williams preparing for his first title fight." -Available for 28 days. Duration 40 mins-

This was on BBC One Wales last night but now on iPlayer so if anyone fancies a watch it's quite a good programme (for any boxing fans not just us south Wales valley boys) and shows the glamour and pain of life as a boxer in general documenting fighters such as Jimmy Wilde and Tommy Farr


Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 10:12 am

Brilliant article STEFFAN, thanks so much for posting.

Glad you're still around, mate

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Apr 2015, 10:45 am

Rolling Eyes

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4420
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

Soldier, I'm trying my best with Steffan, he keeps getting the Mods to ban me

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

There's a suprise.

Steffany tends to get her knickers in a twist.

Just don't mention Wales..........oops

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4420
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 11:52 am

What's with the antagonism gents? A poster sharing a link on a boxing documentary is no crime. Even if it's region specific. I've enjoyed watching the fighting men of London and Ingle gym stuff people have posted in the past.

I'll have to check this out Steff. Despite selling out and moving to Cardiff, I share a hometown with Williams and Farr.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 11:55 am

Not being antagonistic Dipper, my response to Steffan was genuine. I have bridges to build...am I still ok to come to yours and watch Floyd/Manny? It's 1, Cardiff Street, Cardiff, yeah?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 11:57 am

Ha, that's the one Dave! I'll make sure to press the red button for Welsh language commentary. With a phrase book it will make more sense to you than Jim Watt ever did.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:00 pm

"Dipper, what's that horrible hissing/crackling sound coming from the TV?"
"Welsh"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:08 pm

Smile

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:13 pm

DAVE667 wrote:"Dipper, what's that horrible hissing/crackling sound coming from the TV?"
"Welsh"

Laugh....................cue Steffany censored

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4420
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Coxy001 Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:14 pm

Just tried watching the video - can someone translate it for me? I understood about 5 words they were saying...

On the subject of documentaries, have always wondered if any of the stations would pick up my idea for training an overweight guy (they could use me as that person, fatty) all the way from introductions to stance/pad work/sparring up to a white collar event. Would be a better watch for fitness freaks than some weight loss reality TV rubbish.

Probably been done before.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:32 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:"Dipper, what's that horrible hissing/crackling sound coming from the TV?"
"Welsh"

Laugh....................cue Steffany censored

There's nobody more pro-Welsh language than me Soldier (be a hypocrite if I wasn't) but I know Dave is a cheeky scamp so I'll let him off!

Liam's not the most eloquent individual Coxy. You'll be pleased to know I sound like Richard effing Burton!

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:36 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Just tried watching the video - can someone translate it for me? I understood about 5 words they were saying...

On the subject of documentaries, have always wondered if any of the stations would pick up my idea for training an overweight guy (they could use me as that person, fatty) all the way from introductions to stance/pad work/sparring up to a white collar event. Would be a better watch for fitness freaks than some weight loss reality TV rubbish.

Probably been done before.
I reckon anything involving you getting punched in the face would make excellent viewing, Coxy. Am sure TRUSS would happily stump up a few quid for production costs/bus fare to travel over and thump you.

In all seriousness....TRUSS would ask his father-in-law to lend him the bus fare.


In all fairness....it wouldn't appeal to fitness freaks (as they're already buff and perfect...w*nkers) but it would possibly inspire the normal man who may be slightly overweight/unfit to maybe get into shape. These programmes where some bloke weighs 45 stone and loses five stone by washing all the encrusted dirt from his armpits and crotch doesn't register with the guy who may just be thinking about getting shape again. White collar boxing whilst maybe not appealing to them, is certainly a more realistic goal than qualifying for the Olympics

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

Watching the documentary now. What the hell kind of accent was Tommy Farr speaking with? Think he was having a case of the Steve McClaren's speaking to those American journalists.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:39 pm

Thought this would be about the failed Mtv show, The Valleys.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16591
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 29
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm

No, that's the Call Centre

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Coxy001 Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm

For some reason when watching the first few second I've given myself the giggles by envisaging that the car driving along is chasing a runaway sheep.

Never quite sure why Lockett gets so many fighters, never rated him as much of a trainer to be honest. They can't afford to travel outside of Wales? Barred from leaving Wales? Can't find the Severn Bridge? All possibilities.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:52 pm

Please don't speak of that show Raf, that set us back decades. Probably the only TV show that's genuinely offended me. 90% of the 'cast' weren't from the valleys and the idea that escaping the valleys to the metropolis of Cardiff was ridiculous. The majority of people from my hometown commute to the city for work, so it's hardly a world away! Vile television.

Coxy, I'd be lying if I said I've never had to take evasive action when driving due to sheep.

Anyway, boxing. 8 out of 11 Welsh world champions came from the Valleys. Never knew that.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:59 pm

Coxy001 wrote:For some reason when watching the first few second I've given myself the giggles by envisaging that the car driving along is chasing a runaway sheep.

Never quite sure why Lockett gets so many fighters, never rated him as much of a trainer to be honest. They can't afford to travel outside of Wales? Barred from leaving Wales? Can't find the Severn Bridge? All possibilities.

Is it cos no-one can understand Enzo Calzaghe and Gary sounds like Benedict Cumberbatch by comparison?
PS why was Cumberbatch giving a reading at the internment of Richard III. I know he's well spoken but he's not actual f*cking Royalty

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Apr 2015, 2:03 pm

He is a distant relative of Richard III.

Will give this a listen at some point Steffan, for a small country of low population Wales has punched well above its weight in terms of the talent it has produced, the likes of Wilde, Calzaghe and Driscoll deserve a place in the top ten Brits of all time and Winstone would not be a million miles behind them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Coxy001 Wed 01 Apr 2015, 2:05 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:For some reason when watching the first few second I've given myself the giggles by envisaging that the car driving along is chasing a runaway sheep.

Never quite sure why Lockett gets so many fighters, never rated him as much of a trainer to be honest. They can't afford to travel outside of Wales? Barred from leaving Wales? Can't find the Severn Bridge? All possibilities.

Is it cos no-one can understand Enzo Calzaghe and Gary sounds like Benedict Cumberbatch by comparison?
PS why was Cumberbatch giving a reading at the internment of Richard III. I know he's well spoken but he's not actual f*cking Royalty

Why was Richard III doing an internship?

As for the documentary, for a country that has so many people punching each other they haven't produced many decent fighters. (I may have only watched the opening 60 seconds before coming depressed with watching it)

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Apr 2015, 2:05 pm

Interesting the cards from Louis - Farr

13 rounds 1 ................1 even
9 rounds 6
8 rounds 5.................2 even....

Crap judging has existed for a long time it seems.

Farr's record was very average................Lost to all the well known heavies of the day...

Not my idea of a hero but hey what do I know...

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40522
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 2:32 pm

Lucky you weren't born here Coxy, with our lack of facilities you wouldn't have been able to become the athlete you are today. And with the dial up Internet in our caves how would you be able to big it up to strangers online?

Wales doesn't fare too badly in the champions per capita stakes. It's an individual sport though, so pointless starting the 'My Dad's harder than your Dad'. Just found it interesting to see a documentary on a fighter from my town.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by kingraf Wed 01 Apr 2015, 2:38 pm

All I learnt about Wales from the Valleys was the term cwtch. Was a garbage show.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16591
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 29
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Coxy001 Wed 01 Apr 2015, 4:00 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Lucky you weren't born here Coxy, with our lack of facilities you wouldn't have been able to become the athlete you are today. And with the dial up Internet in our caves how would you be able to big it up to strangers online?

Wales doesn't fare too badly in the champions per capita stakes. It's an individual sport though, so pointless starting the 'My Dad's harder than your Dad'. Just found it interesting to see a documentary on a fighter from my town.

Dippey, I was only playing. Was even in Cardiff recently and had rather a good time, had helped we'd won the rugby and was highly lubricated but was still jolly good fun.


Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 01 Apr 2015, 4:33 pm

It's a good town. Although not being an egg enthusiast myself I was on taxi duty for the Mrs and her mates that night, it's a different place sober on a match day.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Steffan Mon 06 Apr 2015, 2:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Soldier, I'm trying my best with Steffan, he keeps getting the Mods to ban me
I've never tried to get a mod to ban you so stop making things up

You on the other hand...

https://www.606v2.com/t5395-david-haye

"DAVE667

Dear Mods, please ban Steffan with immediate effect. if you think D4 gets folks' backs up, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Trust me, you've been warned. No good will come of allowing this clown access to the forum."


I personally would not like to you to get banned. You are complete and utter scum but you do keep me entertained with your attempts at cyber bullying and your arguments with Trusscargo where you normally let plastic Yank own you

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Steffan Mon 06 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Steffany tends to get her knickers in a twist
I can't wait to rip your mothers knickers off when I get in. The elastic is hurting me Smile

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Mon 06 Apr 2015, 6:39 pm

Ripping off things.Old articles from the net, newer articles from the net.You're just a Girl(20) who can't say 'no' .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprmD6oXpFQ

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by huw Tue 07 Apr 2015, 1:13 pm

Thanks Steffan, will give this a watch as I'm interested, must be a Welsh thing... Smile


huw

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Guest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm

Steffan wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Soldier, I'm trying my best with Steffan, he keeps getting the Mods to ban me
I've never tried to get a mod to ban you so stop making things up

You on the other hand...

https://www.606v2.com/t5395-david-haye

"DAVE667

Dear Mods, please ban Steffan with immediate effect. if you think D4 gets folks' backs up, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Trust me, you've been warned. No good will come of allowing this clown access to the forum."


I personally would not like to you to get banned. You are complete and utter scum but you do keep me entertained with your attempts at cyber bullying and your arguments with Trusscargo where you normally let plastic Yank own you
Given the sh!t you write lad is it any wonder I try to get the MODS to clean up your t*rdy articles?

For those who can't be arsed clicking the link, this is the sh!t you posted which prompted my impassioned plea to them.

by Steffan on Mon May 23, 2011 1:58 pm


He insult Wladimir. He insult Vitali. He insult good name of family Klitchko . He have heads of Klitchko brothers on shirt. He refuse to shake hand of Wladimir and say he gonna beat up both Klitchko. Wladimir very angry and he gonna punish David Haye in boxing ring Germany
Steffan

The responses of the others who were unfortunate enough to click on your (f)article clearly suggest I'm not alone in believing you to be a festering boil on the rear end of society....and that's coming from someone who "likes" you!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by huw Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:51 am

Watched this last night and was good to see some old footage of the fighters.

Struggled a bit watching Johnny Owens knowing the outcome.

Also showed an insight into the life of the boxer that we should have seen many times before with sky's many programmes like this, the few days before a fight, watching your diet and getting moody. Don't know why but it felt enlightening the way it was done on this show, probably because the boxer (Liam Williams) was just very normal. On sky they tend to try to create superstars by making them act unnaturally.

Well worth a look.




huw

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:26 am

DAVE667 wrote:Given the sh!t you write lad is it any wonder I try to get the MODS to clean up your t*rdy articles?
Yet when I post a constructive article on a link to boxing you decide to unnecessarily post comments to try and stir up conflict and spoil it

DAVE667 wrote:I'm not alone in believing you to be a festering boil on the rear end of society...
Fine. You are welcome to your opinion. Just stay off my articles if that's the way you feel

Steffan

Posts : 7856
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

The Valleys Fighter Empty Re: The Valleys Fighter

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum