The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sheamus

+11
Looseheaded
kamikaze
Fernando
Crimey
Nakatomi Plaza
Ché Guerrero
Dolphin Ziggler
Samo
Kay Fabe
Mr H
Prometheus
15 posters

Go down

Sheamus Empty Sheamus

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 11:26 am

A while ago, the podcast asked the question of what can be done with Sheamus.

My thinking was 'not a lot', I just find him quite boring.  But now he's back with a whole new beard and hairstyle.  So, is this enough for him to look heel?  And where do you think he will work?

I've got to be honest, I still don't think this is going to make him anything other than a mid-carder.  And there's nothing wrong with being a mid-carder, but Sheamus isn't one I want to watch.  I just find him completely unengaging.  If he wins the IC, I'm a pretty unhappy bunny.

Personally, I'd have brought him back as some kind of "protector" for Wyatt.  I'd have Wyatt start to grow his sect again and I'd have had Sheamus as the first person in that a guy who could save Bray and also Bray could use to attack others.  Because even I have to admit that Sheamus has something, a size that looks like he could hurt you.  And I think Wyatt needs more around him to make him a bit more special than a guy who delivers a lot of similar promos and is okay in the ring.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Sheamus Empty Re: Sheamus

Post by Mr H Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

I hoped Sheamus would return and join the Authority to be honest. I just don’t buy into Kane and Big Show as believable enforcers anymore, they’ve taken too many losses and beatdowns to be remain credible. The main event on Raw should have been Orton, Reigns and a mystery partner to face Rollins, Show, Kane. Mystery partner being Sheamus. Then at the end of the match he Brogue Kicks Orton and Reigns, turns heel and joins the Authority. Stick him in a Conor McGregor style suit, keep the Mohawk and beard, and there’s your character makeover right there. Badass.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:52 pm

Two good points Mr H.

1) A new Authority. I'd back that. But I think from Big Show's win at WM, he and Kane are going nowhere. Sheamus would have fitted this role very well.

2) Whether you love or hate Conor McGregor he provokes a response. And that is the big difference between him and Sheamus. I don't think Sheamus has any charisma, so you could dress him up, but you'd not get that result.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:57 pm

Part of me thinks Kane and The Big Show are only involved with the Authority because the higher ups know fans will crap on it in the hope that in turn that they'll start cheering the faces that will opppse them but I think there is a clear danger that continuing with these guys will create a sense of apathy towards any storyline involving these guys

As for Sheamus, I thought he could join the Authority too, I think they would have needed to strip him back though, a sensible hair cut and maybe even a clean shave but I'm at the stage where I don't feel anything towards Sheamus good or bad.

I'd like to see Cesaro as Rollins bodygaurd, Cesaro has all the tools required to be a top guy in the WWE and he is genuinely believable as a badass who would protect Rollins, I also think he'd get the rub from being associated with The Authority, the downside is I don't think he could wrestle during this period unless it was in Tag Matches involving Rollins or set up on Rollins behalf

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:00 pm

Im looking forward to seeing where this new Sheamus goes. I like his new look, I think he looks like a legit bad ass heel.

More a fan of the Authority idea than the Wyatt idea personally. Wyatts doing just fine on his own right now, and just needs to convincingly win a big feud against someone.

Lets see where him attacking Bryan and Ziggler goes before we get ahead of ourselves. He could be getting inserted into the IC title picture to have those 4 guys going for the belt, which I'd be fine with. Sheamus has had decent matches with all three guys in the past so Im ok to see these matches again but with him as a heel.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:03 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:
I'd like to see Cesaro as Rollins bodygaurd, Cesaro has all the tools required to be a top guy in the WWE and he is genuinely believable as a badass who would protect Rollins, I also think he'd get the rub from being associated with The Authority, the downside is I don't think he could wrestle during this period unless it was in Tag Matches involving Rollins or set up on Rollins behalf

I think Cesaro is going to make Kalisto a star, that's not a bad job to be doing. He's very unlikely given what Vince has said to become a star himself now.

The booking of Rollins is really going to be interesting. He is a perfect heel. But you have to start to wonder how much the audience will want to boo him. And maybe that is where the Authority really work for him. Because Stephanie can be the proxy who draws the crowd heat, when if they sent Rollins out and he did the promo the crowd might not be so hard on him.

Really, really interesting to watch. Because he is such an in-ring talent, when he turns, which really should be 2 years off, I think he will be huge.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:05 pm

Prometheus wrote:
I think Cesaro is going to make Kalisto a star, that's not a bad job to be doing.  He's very unlikely given what Vince has said to become a star himself now.

Kalisto was over as hell on Monday so hopefully that carries over on the next RAW when its not infront of a smart crowd. He could be the next Mysterio if the play it right. Im calling it now, he'll do better than both Sin Cara's.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:10 pm

Samo wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
I think Cesaro is going to make Kalisto a star, that's not a bad job to be doing.  He's very unlikely given what Vince has said to become a star himself now.

Kalisto was over as hell on Monday so hopefully that carries over on the next RAW when its not infront of a smart crowd.  He could be the next Mysterio if the play it right.  Im calling it now, he'll do better than both Sin Cara's.

I was starting to think that they'd left it too late to bring them up as a tag team. I thought they should have come up a little while ago. They can have a great story now, chasing the titles from Cesaro and Kidd and then having a run before Kalisto eventually goes single and I hope he becomes another Rey then and not another small overseas wrestler that is lost in the mix.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

Samo wrote:Wyatts doing just fine on his own right now, and just needs to convincingly win a big feud against someone.

Do you think he came out of that WM match stronger? Kick-out of the Tombstone, got in some offence against the legend that is Taker. After weeks and weeks of build, I don't think they can just ignore the match.

It seems pretty unlikely that Taker will come back before Mania next year (if he does that), so there's no real chance of a re-match.

I think there are two ways they can go. Either Wyatt "learns" from the experience and immediately becomes stronger. Or he loses faith. A downward spiral for Bray who no longer has the confidence to go back to the top rope, or put away the match and loses. If they had not made the Bo Dallas character such a complete joke I would love the hell out of that story, with Bo helping him re-find his mojo.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:38 pm

I think he's hurt less from this loss than last year vs Cena. I think he'll come out having learnt from this and be a new, more destructive figure. Like I said he needs a big win against a big star to build on. He won the feud with Ambrose but can you really say that was a good feud? He should have went over Cena better. Winning one match out of two doesnt cut it, especially not when the ending was as crap as it was. Keep him off TV for a month for some stories to open up. He could maybe feud with Orton after Extreme Rules.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

Samo wrote:I think he's hurt less from this loss than last year vs Cena. I think he'll come out having learnt from this and be a new, more destructive figure.  Like I said he needs a big win against a big star to build on.  He won the feud with Ambrose but can you really say that was a good feud?  He should have went over Cena better.  Winning one match out of two doesnt cut it, especially not when the ending was as crap as it was.  Keep him off TV for a month for some stories to open up.  He could maybe feud with Orton after Extreme Rules.

If WWE had had another big babyface star last year who they were ready to back, then for me the Wyatt / Cena feud could have been huge.

That teeter point where Wyatt had pushed Cena so far that he was ready to use the chair and Wyatt was telling him to.  Because that's how Wyatt was going to win, by breaking the character of Cena, rather than to pin him.  Cena turns heel, Wyatt has just a massive platform.  

Sadly that wasn't to be.  So it became (another) story of John Cena never give up, eat your greens, etc.  I still personally believe that Wyatt hasn't recovered from that.

The problem for me with the Ambrose feud wasn't the action, but it was all so unnecessary.  Wyatt wants to beat up Ambrose because he reminds him of himself.  The whole basis of the feud didn't work, so they were always playing catch up and it ultimately didn't succeed.

I agree with keeping him off TV.  I think he has already become over exposed.  There are enough fans asking the question of "what is really behind this".  Bring him in and cycle him out and the entrance and promos are that much more special.  If they are going to keep him on TV, I'd have him just beat a row of jobbers week in week out for a while. Build him up as this force that is destroying eveyone in his path, until that opening comes that you mention. That is as long as JBL doesn't keep telling us these are all jobbers so it doesn't matter.

I'm less sure what high-profile character he could beat to make his character stronger and where Wyatt goes to after that.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 01 Apr 2015, 4:00 pm

For me I want to see Wyatt fued with Daniel Bryan for the IC Title at Summerslam, and beat him. Bryan can make the IC title a big deal again between now and then and Wyatt beating Bryan to win his first major singles title at Summerslam is a big deal.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 01 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

A feud with Bryan would be interesting. Would you refer back to the story from just over a year ago of Bryan joining (and then not) the Wyatt family, or just carry on like that didn't happen?

Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 01 Apr 2015, 5:13 pm

I think Sheamus is very talented and needed a character shift. The crap on his beard was odd though

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero Wed 01 Apr 2015, 9:16 pm

Looks like he has joined a white power movement

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Thu 02 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

I'm not a fan of Sheamus being made part of a heel group. As much as I enjoy Stephanie and Triple H's mic work, I would like the Authority's screentime to be lessened. I think the heel authority role has been overplayed. I'd rather see Rollins continually outsmart his opponents without assistance from people in power.

Getting back to Sheamus, I'd rather see him work alone for the time being. He's a good enough in ring worker. His gimmick should see him used as a man of few words.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 02 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm

I've decided that if Sheamus is not in a hair vs beard match with Bryan by Summerslam it is back to #cancelwwenetwork
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 02 Apr 2015, 7:59 pm

I do like Sheamus and am glad they've finally recognised that him as the jovial face was not working and he needed a significant shift in character. Time will tell whether this will work, but I liked his look on Raw and have seen his entrance from Smackdown with new music and it certainly seems to have refreshed him. I think he's talented but he's been really badly mishandled. 

I'm not sure about him joining The Authority but would agree that they probably need people other than Kane or Big Show, Kane especially. I think the reason why those two are used is because they lose so often and that shouldn't happen to Cesaro and Sheamus for example, but it's such a weak argument because them losing so often has turned them into a joke.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:03 pm

In his day, Kane was a really good big man wrestler. He had power, speed and courage. And he was doing a lot of that stuff in his mid-30s which for a guy of his height was pretty phenomenal. But he's pushing 48 now. And he's slowed by not just a notch, but several notches.

I'm not saying that WWE don't owe one of their stalwarts for many years. A guy who you could throw any stupid angle or gimmick at and he'd get on with it and deliver consistent quality. But he really shouldn't be wrestling on a regular basis in main event matches now. And if he has to then not in suit trousers and regular shoes.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:49 pm

Just heard his new entrance theme, holy Poopie thats bad ass.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 02 Apr 2015, 8:52 pm

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 02 Apr 2015, 9:24 pm

Cracking stuff. Still not a beard fan though

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kamikaze Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:42 pm

The Problem I have is if Sheamus is back and his first feud is for the IC championship either with DB or in a multi man hes probably going to lose and then what?

I wud have had him join the Authority at wrestlemania. Instead of DX and the NWO etc I wud hav had HHH about to tap then Sheamus returns and unleashes a brutal Brogue Kick on Sting giving HHH the win.

Also y didnt HHH hav any help from tge Authority at wrestlemania kane, big show, rollins, j and j security all A part of his Authority but none helped.

kamikaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

kamikaze wrote:
Also y didnt HHH hav any help from tge Authority at wrestlemania kane, big show, rollins, j and j security all A part of his Authority but none helped.

He had DX instead. Didnt need the Authority.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 02 Apr 2015, 11:17 pm

It's just another flaw in logic that was a reason that match was ridiculous. With the Mania comedown complete I don't think I could rewatch that match and enjoy it

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 03 Apr 2015, 1:17 am

that entrance theme is awesome, shame sheamus still shouts 'fella' which doesn't really mean anything and is ever more stupid as a heel

it's like me screaming 'BUDDY' or 'MAAAATTTTEEEE' as i walk down to the ramp

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 03 Apr 2015, 2:28 am

Its also slightly nice. "FRIENDS!"

Although if he starts beating people up and calling them fella as he does it then it can work.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri 03 Apr 2015, 8:29 pm

Just read the spoilers for Sheamus' promo on Smackdown. Sounds similar to Batista when he turned heel at the start of 2014. I think taking on the smaller popular babyfaces is a good way to use Sheamus.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 06 Apr 2015, 12:04 pm

Yeah that's what I immediately thought as soon as he said "where have all the real men gone"

It reminded me straight away of Batista.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 12 Apr 2015, 12:06 am

During Sheamus’ entrance last night on Smackdown instead of shouting his usual catchphrase “FELLA” he instead exclaimed “Faugh A Ballagh”.

An irish war cry of some sort

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 12 Apr 2015, 9:02 am

Im sure its Irish Gaelic for 'Clear the Way' or something similar.

Another nice little touch to further enhance the badassness.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 12 Apr 2015, 11:29 am

warning warning BROQUE KICK FELLA

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 12 Apr 2015, 11:32 am

NickisBHAFC wrote:warning warning BROGUE KICK FELLA

Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun 12 Apr 2015, 12:05 pm

I just find Sheamus to be symptomatic of what is wrong with WWE.

IMO he never got over. He's been in high-profile positions, but I don't think he truly shone. So, WWE give him a fresh coat of paint. And I think he'll be fresh for about two months before fans bore of him again. A constant recycle of their upper mid-card talent is starving the organization of promoting fresh talent. Forearm clubs, a shoulder charge and a boot to the face are all I associate with Sheamus in the ring and its just so limited that it makes Roman Reigns look like Dean Malenko.

If they use Sheamus to get over Neville, or some new talent, then I get it. That is a level I can see Sheamus at. The big heel who looks like he can cause some damage, but eventually the better wrestler can beat. I don't understand what he does in a program with Ziggler, unless you are going to build Sheamus up by beating Ziggler to then have a fresh face take Sheamus down, because Ziggler is going nowhere in that organization.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 12 Apr 2015, 1:05 pm

Im gonna have to disagree. I think this is a character shift that can take Sheamus right back to the top. Maybe not to the WWE title again, but I reckon he could hold his own in a main event program as a space filler. The problem with that is a ruthless badass who will fight anyone and do anything it takes to get to the top will probably end up being a face again.

I reckon a good feud in the IC title picture for a couple of months, before moving on will do him a world of good.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Sun 12 Apr 2015, 1:56 pm

I think that's a little harsh on Sheamus,in ring he's far from Kurt Angle but he certainly has more in his repertoire than Reigns.

The thing that I got annoyed with was that he turned in to a laughing joking face,but I'm willing to see where this ruthless heel persona will take him.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun 12 Apr 2015, 4:22 pm

To me, his best matches have been against Bryan and Cesaro. And they could wrestle a mop and make the bout look good. He's not going to bring any light or dark to his heel role. Instead of a face who liked to fight and had a smile at the end of the day, he's going to be a heel who likes to beat people up. It is the same limited role unless he has a clear task of putting over talent.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 12 Apr 2015, 6:43 pm

I'd say Sheamus had Bryan's best match in WWE. That 2 out of 3 falls was incredible.

I think Sheamus has probably the best hard hitting style in the WWE. He's one of few in recent years who has had good matches with Henry and Show, but WWE were responsible for ruining his potential as a face

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:29 pm

I think it's being really harsh on Sheamus to suggest he's not very good at anything. I think he definitely was over as a heel in his initial quick push where he jumped from ECW and then won the championship. Where it all went wrong was turning him heel and turning him into a laughing, joking face. 

It's a problem I have with WWE's approach to face and heels in that the character doesn't stay consistent. For me the character a wrestler should be entirely separate from whether they are face or heel, they should have a character which stays consistent with their alignment changing. Obviously there has to be subtle shifts, but WWE just can't do subtle and it's like a face Sheamus (for example) is completely different than heel Sheamus.

I think Sheamus is good in the ring, he's not the best but he's one of the better big men in WWE. I'd say he's better than Barrett who doesn't come under the same scrutiny. He's certainly better than Erick Rowan or Ryback. I'd say only Luke Harper as a bigger wrestler is better than Sheamus in WWE. He's got a really legitimate style and rarely has really bad matches, even up against people like Big Show and Mark Henry. He's always a solid 7/10.

I'm guessing his days as a world champion are probably over, unless he makes a sudden, significant improvement but as an upper mid-carder I think he's great. He's got a good look, is good in the ring and on the microphone. I think he'll be good for people on their way up to feud with or for main eventers dropping down a level whilst the title is with other people. I think if you put him with Dean Ambrose or Dolph Ziggler or Randy Orton now that would be good for them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:43 pm

Harper is IMO one of the best wrestlers that WWE has right now. He's really under-valued by them.

Barrett has a really good presence on the mic, but his Bull Hammer is just as boring to me as Sheamus' Brogue Kick.

I really like Big E as a much more agile and character than Ryback.

Erick Rowan, I confess I loved that sheep's mask. I've just not seen enough of him since the Wyatt family split to know how much potential there really is there.

The thought of Orton and Sheamus has practically sent me to sleep.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 13 Apr 2015, 11:53 pm

Prometheus wrote:

I really like Big E as he's strong and fast

Fixed that for you

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 14 Apr 2015, 12:16 am