The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon.

5 posters

Go down

Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon. Empty Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon.

Post by Derbymanc Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:10 pm

As the title says film4 are showing a lot of studio ghibli films daily. If you haven't seen any check them out as they are fantastic (Porco Rosso being one of my faves)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon. Empty Re: Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon.

Post by President Trump Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:25 pm

I use to buy a different one each Friday to watch with my kids, they loved them as did I

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon. Empty Re: Film 4 currently having a Studio Ghibli season in the afternoon.

Post by Guest Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

Wasn't "Spirited Away" on at the weekend?

Started watching it a while back, thought it was crAp

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:21 pm

Your a miserable old sod that's why Dave Wink (That's the first film my little lad actually sat through. We had to tape it for him as we were going out and he watched the whole thing over and over again.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 Apr 2015, 9:03 pm

I'm an unashamed tubthumper for Spirited Away and, especially, Grave of the Fireflies.  Spirited Away was very good but the song at the end, Itsumo Nando Demo seemed to make the previous 2 hours a work of genius.  Grave of the Fireflies tore me up so badly I doubt whether I could watch it again, if the song I've just mentioned were played during the flashback scene of GotF I'd probably top myself.

Watched the supposed final Miyazaki film, The Wind Rises, a few weeks back.  Thought it was pretty poor, completely lacking the charm of earlier Studio Ghibli.

Nausicaa & Mononoke were ok, the only other one I've seen is Howl's Moving Castle which was quite poor in my not very humble opinion.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 01 Apr 2015, 9:44 pm

Haven't seen GotF yet due to the fact it's supposed to be a right weepie (I will do at some point), love Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (very underated in my opinion) Arietty pretty good too especially if you like the Borrowers

If you haven't seen it yet, watch Proco Rossi, is brilliant

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 Apr 2015, 10:30 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Haven't seen GotF yet due to the fact it's supposed to be a right weepie (I will do at some point), love Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (very underated in my opinion) Arietty pretty good too especially if you like the Borrowers

If you haven't seen it yet, watch Proco Rossi, is brilliant

It's top of the list to watch along with My Neighbour Totoro.  Bought the box set, pretty crappy quality unfortunately, last year but haven't really dived into it.  Beware of GotF, to call it a 'weepie' is to seriously underestimate it.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 01 Apr 2015, 10:41 pm

Porco Rossi's on Film4 HD next week (for a decent quality copy) same as my neighbour.

Think i'll wait utnil everyones out then until i watch GotF, will never hear the end of it otherwise Smile

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Wed 01 Apr 2015, 10:51 pm

Galted wrote:I'm an unashamed tubthumper for Spirited Away and, especially, Grave of the Fireflies.  Spirited Away was very good but the song at the end, Itsumo Nando Demo seemed to make the previous 2 hours a work of genius.  Grave of the Fireflies tore me up so badly I doubt whether I could watch it again, if the song I've just mentioned were played during the flashback scene of GotF I'd probably top myself.

Watched the supposed final Miyazaki film, The Wind Rises, a few weeks back.  Thought it was pretty poor, completely lacking the charm of earlier Studio Ghibli.

Nausicaa & Mononoke were ok, the only other one I've seen is Howl's Moving Castle which was quite poor in my not very humble opinion.

GotF is for me the best thing the studio has done and funnily enough one of the few not directed by Miyazaki himself.

I actually quite enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle, maybe not the best of the best from the studio for me but would probably crowbar its way into a top ten although at the lower reaches. Other's worth watching for me are My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa: Castle In The Sky and Lupin III.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 06 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

Love Ghibli films Smile

Totoro is probably my favourite.

Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa, Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service are also excellent. The Cat Returns is good too.

I've got Grave of the Fireflies to watch at some point. I think I'll need to be in the right mood.

I think this Film 4 season is showing the original audio with subtitles rather than the dubbed. It's much better this way.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:45 pm

Brys wrote:
Galted wrote:I'm an unashamed tubthumper for Spirited Away and, especially, Grave of the Fireflies.  Spirited Away was very good but the song at the end, Itsumo Nando Demo seemed to make the previous 2 hours a work of genius.  Grave of the Fireflies tore me up so badly I doubt whether I could watch it again, if the song I've just mentioned were played during the flashback scene of GotF I'd probably top myself.

GotF is for me the best thing the studio has done and funnily enough one of the few not directed by Miyazaki himself.

I actually quite enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle, maybe not the best of the best from the studio for me but would probably crowbar its way into a top ten although at the lower reaches. Other's worth watching for me are My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa: Castle In The Sky and Lupin III.

Howl's Moving Castle did have the best animation of the ones I've seen but the plot was quite feeble.  Should really watch it again as the ones I did see, apart from GotF, were within a short space of time so I probably judged them against each other and not in their own right - didn't help the others that Spirited Away was the first one I saw.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

Cyril wrote:Love Ghibli films Smile

I think this Film 4 season is showing the original audio with subtitles rather than the dubbed. It's much better this way.

Agree whole-heartedly. I'm not sure why but the English-dubbed voices just don't work whereas the Japanese ones do.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Mon 06 Apr 2015, 11:10 pm

Galted wrote:
Cyril wrote:Love Ghibli films Smile

Agree whole-heartedly.  I'm not sure why but the English-dubbed voices just don't work whereas the Japanese ones do.

Nearly all anime is like this with very few that have extremely good dubbing.

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down