The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap

+6
Samo
Adam D
Crimey
Kay Fabe
Prometheus
Fernando
10 posters

Go down

Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap Empty Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap

Post by Fernando Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:13 am

We're live on the WWE Network with Chris Jericho and WWE United States Champion John Cena, who has a shiner from his match with Stardust. Jericho brings up the "five moves of doom" jab and say Cena broke out some new moves in his match on RAW. They joke that they're not sure if they can call his springboard backwards stunner a "Stunner." Jericho asks about Cena being US Champion and not being in the main event. Cena says he never got wrapped up in being in the main event so it doesn't bother him. He talks about being able to help guys like Dean Ambrose and Cody Rhodes with the United States Title by letting them get some time and putting their "business card" out there.

Jericho jokes and asks what would Cena have done if he issued the open challenge and Funaki came out. Cena talks about riding in his early WWE days with guys like Funaki, Tajiri and The Bashams. Jericho asks about his relationship with Vince McMahon in 2015. Cena says their vision is the same, sometimes they're different creatively. Cena says he loves the company. People say they love the pro wrestling business but he loves the company. Cena says he's bee lucky enough to surround himself with people like Vince his whole life and he's taken a liking to how Vince does things. Cena says his legitimate goal is taking WWE to places they haven't been like China and India. He wants to leave WWE 100 times better than it was when he walked in.

Cena admits he does still get yelled at sometimes but everyone does. Cena says that just shows the passion that Vince still has. Cena praises Vince for still being on top of things 31 WrestleManias later. Cena re-tells the story about the first time he met Vince and Vince wanted his hair cut. Jericho brings up Cena being able to do backwards promos and they both try to do it. Cena says that showed back then that he wasn't afraid to take a chance fo success. Cena says WWE has so many talents but he thinks some are afraid to take a chance. Cena says he "loved, loved" Vince's brass ring comment from a few months back. Cena says he was a fan of the Attitude Era just as much as the rest of us and WWE has new rules now but you still have to take a chance. Cena talks about looking up to William Regal years ago and becoming a fan of the European style that guys like Regal and Finlay worked. Cena had a dark match one time and said it stunk the place up. He came backstage and asked Regal for feedback and Regal told him to get a real pair of boots so he would at least look like a wrestler.

They talk Cena being in OVW with Brock Lesnar, Batista and Randy Orton. Cena says walking into a training session at that OVW class was like walking into a crazy Matrix scene. Cena praises all three of them and brings up Shelton Benjamin, Sylvester Terkay, Ron Waterman, Rico and others. They talk more about Cena's early days and then his dad, who was at WrestleMania 31. Jericho asks if Cena ever took any performance enhancing drugs and he says no. Cena says he was fortunate to be around good people in his bodybuilding career. Cena says all his competitions were drug tested. Cena says people always think athletes who are ripped like he was are on steroids but that's indicates that's just how it's going to be. Cena say he got that big in high school and has been big ever since. They talk about being on the road together and Jericho says Cena is the only guy that could drink him under the table. Cena says they had a lot of good times. Jericho says the Mt. Rushmore of WWE in the modern era has been Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan and Cena. Cena doesn't know who would be the faces now. Cena says when fans scream they want something new but get something that's company-packaged new then it's no good. He uses Roman Reigns as an example. Cena says Reigns is an absolute star and puts him over. Cena says it's going to be weird from here on out when talking about fans wanting something new but rejecting it. Jericho says it seems like everything has changed. Cena says don't let the mood change fool you, there will be a face of the company coming up, then someone after that and so on. Cena says the next front man will be the guy with enough balls to take the right chances.

They talk about how you need to stand out and have an identity to make it. Cena says once you have that, fans will hate you or love you. Cena says he watches NXT when he can. He says the most interesting thing about NXT is the steam that the brand is building, talking about the talents being put in front of live events and more. Cena says he loves it when it's sink or swim with the audience and when they let you have it. He loves the emotion of it. Cena admits there was real heat with The Rock when he first came in to work with him. Cena says he wanted it to be Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James but Rock had a different vision. He talks about working with Rock and never caring about what Rock said about him, Cena just was always worried about having a chance to jab back. Cena says Rock was peed when Cena called him out for having a promo written on his arm. Cena dodges a question on if Rock was actually peed in Cena's face backstage. Cena says it was always kept professional between the two and that's the one thing he respected the most. Cena says he took a jar of moonshine into Rock's locker room in Miami and told him not to take anything he said personal. Cena says he didn't want to make Rock foolish by calling him out, Cena was just trying to step up.

Jericho asks Cena how he dealt with the "Cena sucks" chants every night. Cena says he just let the product speak for itself. Cena says he became genuine and developed from the hip-hop character to who he really is. Jericho asks Cena why he think fans chant "Cena sucks." Cena thinks they want something different, something more. Jericho brings up people always asking if Cena will turn heel. Cena says it was briefly discussed during the feud with The Rock. He indicated he was excited and even recorded a new theme and had new gear. Cena says if it happened, he would have thought it was great to show that different side but it's so rewarding to be aspirational, to be inspirational. Cena says you might want him to be a bad guy but the 8 year old in the front row lights up at who he is now. Cena jokes that he's the biggest heel in the company with how much he gets booed. Cena says if he did turn heel, they could come up with an explanation for the kids. Cena would be open t turning heel but he hopes WWE would have someone ready to be there for the kids. Cena talks about traveling with Michael Cole and Mark Carrano. Jericho asks what his favorite match is and he says the next one. Cena feels his first match with The Rock fit the year long build. Cena says that match was better than he expected. Jericho asks about his relationship with Rock ow. Cena says Rock is awesome and always has these gems of advice to help him. Jericho asks about Cena's future. Cena says he takes it one day at a time but when he's a step slower and can't do it... they embrace and Jericho plugs his upcoming interview with Vickie Guerrero on PodcastOne.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap Empty Re: Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap

Post by Prometheus Tue 07 Apr 2015, 1:46 pm

I've only read the first paragraph of this and I'm really looking forward to watching this interview now.

Here's the bit that got me hooked "He talks about being able to help guys like Dean Ambrose and Cody Rhodes with the United States Title by letting them get some time and putting their "business card" out there."

Ambrose was one of the most over wrestlers in WWE last year, while Cena was getting go away heat from fans. I think in 2015 for me personally Ambrose wrestling Cena is more a reason for Cena to be relevant than for Ambrose to get over. And maybe I'm not the majority of Raw fans, and I've no real problem with Cena who gets more heat than I think he deserves, but I'd really looking forward to seeing how straight his face is when he delivers that line.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap Empty Re: Chris Jericho Inteview with John Cena Recap

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 07 Apr 2015, 1:54 pm

I watched it, it was decent, just came across as two good pals having a wee walk down memory lane, the whole Rock thing was interesting although constantly calling him Dwayne was probably more irritating than it should have been

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:14 pm

I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it. Just the idea of Jericho tossing up softballs for Cena to say how much he loves WWE, is it really worth the hour of my life?

I mean I get it, this is WWE TV. So it is going to be all soft and fuzzy. But that immediately makes it boring to me. I don't need to see an hour of John Cena or want to get to know him better. And you don't have to be a rabid interviewer, but I think you could ask "Bray Wyatt, he had lots of momentum. Then he stalled and coming out of his feud with you lost a lot of heat. Do you think you could have done more to put him over?"

And that'd probably have me watching. Just to see if Cena really believes that just being in the same ring as him while he fails to apply holds correctly and half the audience can hear the next move he's calling is it for him, or if he actually knows how to put another wrestler over. Because he could be creating 2 stars a year now and that would leave the business in a much better place than when he joined.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:17 pm

WWE to places they haven't been like China and India. He wants to leave WWE 100 times better than it was when he walked in. 

You weren't supposed to mention Chyna dammit!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:18 pm

Jericho is as phony as his teeth colour these days.

He stuck up for Bill DeMott for goodness sake! Thats how much of a company man he is.

I would rather listen to JRs podcast than Jerichos because at least we will get an odd element of reality as opposed to what WWE want Y2J to say

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:23 pm

Adam D wrote:
I would rather listen to JRs podcast than Jerichos because at least we will get an odd element of reality as opposed to what WWE want Y2J to say

Now I'm back to having to watch it again. Just to see if he spends the first 5 minutes hitting a cowbell, while singing lyrics that I'd be ashamed to come up with when I'm trying to distract my 4 month old kids and get them to feed. Followed by a Fozzy song. Then an advert for car insurance. Then a story about himself. Then an advert for some dog chews. Then step by step instructions of how to click on a link to get to Amazon. Before starting the Cena interview 20 minutes later.... at which point we hear Vince grizzle "its my damn Network, I'll over run if I want to".
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:53 pm

I've totally gone off Chris Jericho in the last five years, I thought his downward trend started towards the end of his final full-time run from 07-10. I thought throughout that he was the best thing WWE had, his heel persona was fantastic and did change the way heels acted in WWE. However towards the end of that run he started losing consistently and lost all credibility. Then his returns have all been so poor, he is sloppy, boring and simply doesn't look interested. Yet Jericho the person rather than the character believes he hasn't lost a step and is still a top talent.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 07 Apr 2015, 5:59 pm

No mention of how Cena buried the Nexus at Summerslam yet thats been the thing Jerichos always been most critical about.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Tue 07 Apr 2015, 5:59 pm

You know what Crimey,when I first read your post I thought you were being far too harsh,but having thought about it you're actually spot on.

He's had opportunities to be relevant and have a decent feud,the Punk one springs to mind,but he's never looked as good,or as interested.

I think it's telling that when the heat is on Stone Cold who knows his in ring career is over,they call on Jericho and unfortunately for his legacy his in ring career is not done.

I wanted a grilling on his backstage politics,and his reasons for burying Nexus and I feel Stone Cold would have done just that and it makes me sad that's the reason Stone Cold didn't do it...maybe that's me being spoilt though,if Vince doesn't want that curtain pulled all the way back,who am I to tell him he's wrong?

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:04 pm

Austin has had Cena on his podcast before so maybe thats why they didnt get Austin in.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm

Apparently the reason they didn't bring Austin back was because his questions about Chyna opened up a big can of worms for WWE because she started making allegations against Triple H.

Austin and the WWE have had a falling out as well, possibly because Austin refused to come back for the new Tough Enough or refused an appearance at Wrestlemania 31.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:21 pm

Austin's doing a podcast tonight, where he's indicated he'll address the rumours about his relationship with WWE.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:27 pm

Austin has quashed all rumours of a rift. Meaning they are true, probably.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/569345-steve-austin-addresses-recent-wwe-rumors-did-he-turn-down-tough-enough-wrestlemania-rumors-issues-wvince-more

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed 08 Apr 2015, 1:42 am

the rumours of him no showing wrestle mania are complete lies though seeing s he stated for weeks on his podcast that he would not be attending the event and would watch it on his ranch so really i trust theres no massive issue maybe a bit of heat over china questions but otherwise

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Apr 2015, 8:53 am

Fernando wrote:Cena says his legitimate goal is taking WWE to places they haven't been like China and India. He wants to leave WWE 100 times better than it was when he walked in.

I have a undisclosed source that has told me that TNA already has a China and India tour lined up later this year, and are also planning a Australia tour.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:43 am

Looseheaded wrote:the rumours of him no showing wrestle mania are complete lies though seeing s he stated for weeks on his podcast that he would not be attending the event and would watch it on his ranch so really i trust theres no massive issue maybe a bit of heat over china questions but otherwise

I'm not suggesting people believe he no-showed Wrestlemania, but that he was asked to appear but refused and that annoyed WWE.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:38 pm

Jericho shilling his shyte band is the reason i stopped listening to his podcast. Garbage.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down