The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

+14
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
kingraf
Nico the gman
Strongback
hazharrison
Hammersmith harrier
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Coxy001
Dipper Brown
Seanusarrilius
milkyboy
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:49 am

First topic message reminder :

The fact I give all of these guys a better chance against GGG than the current crop of Brit middle tends to tell you how much respect I have for the former and the latter...........

I think Collins may struggle and Watson............. However I'd love to see GGG attempt to unlock the enigmatic Eubank who could box well, bang and was very durable....

Eubank by decision............

Also would leave to see GGG on the back foot against a bobbing and weaving big hitter like Benn to see If he could cope...........He's a great stalker a bit like Louis..........But would Louis have stalked Frazier or Foreman........I doubt it..........GGG doesn't seem that elusive to me....Pushing Benn back offers it's own problems when you don't move your head !!

Pickem.........

GGG ko 11 Watson..........
GGG w12 Collins....

I think GGG will end up P4P number 1............So it's not really a pop at him ....He is a very good fighter !!........Just think like Bruno most of these guys would be dominant now in this one..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down


GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by milkyboy Sun 19 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

Fair enough haz, we'll agree to disagree on those points and move on.

Wharton was a strange one. I never rated him personally, anyone who could box bamboozled him... Eubank won at a canter, castro smith embarrassed him. Ultimately he had a cult following and some helpful judges when needed... But if the guy came to fight he could be in a barnstormer... Gave a good account of himself against benn.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:44 pm

milkyboy wrote:Fair enough haz, we'll agree to disagree on those points and move on.

Wharton was a strange one. I never rated him personally, anyone who could box bamboozled him... Eubank won at a canter, castro smith embarrassed him. Ultimately he had a cult following and some helpful judges when needed... But if the guy came to fight he could be in a barnstormer... Gave a good account of himself against benn.

He looked the business against Benn but as is so often the case with fighters who are acclaimed in losing efforts (Azumah Nelson aside) they often fail to win a big fight.

I still can't believe he lost to Robin Reid.

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:37 am

I think Collins is the least likely to win here. Just not adaptable enough and the things he tended to do well, Golovkin does better. Collins was one tough, tough man but I don't completely rule out a stoppage in Golovkin's favour as the likes of Eubank (first fight, at least) and Johnson had Collins on the back foot and looking a bit ragged in the late stages, and neither of them had Golovkin's power or pressuring style, but even if Golovkin can't force an inside-schedule win I think he'd have ran out a comfortable points winner.

With Watson, I can't quite shake off how well he was beaten by McCallum when I think about him against Golovkin. Appreciate that Golovkin is no carbon copy of McCallum in terms of style but Kalambay, Graham and Toney between them showed that McCallum either a) was a shade past his best by the time he got to Middleweight, b) just wasn't quite the same or as well-suited at the higher weight as he'd been at Light-Middle or c) was a mix of both. But he still gave a very brave Watson a bit of a hiding if we're being honest.

McCallum totally broke Watson down with body shots which is an area that Golovkin loves to test as well. Strong, smart boxer Watson and who knows, maybe he can pull of a repeat of his Benn triumph in a similar manner, but Golovkin is a lot more controlled than the young Benn and handles the long haul better as well - not as tactically naive. Watson to put up a good fight and valiant effort but to be chopped down late on.

Benn versus Golovkin. Two superb punchers who went / go after their man from the off. Benn a bit more explosive and wild, Golovkin a bit more methodical and consistent in what he does. Tricky as we've not seen Golovkin in there with a really crunching hitter who matches him for bloody-mindedness yet, but again if you look at the guys Benn was blasting out early, Barkley aside they were basically Commonwealth level. Against Watson and Eubank, having used up so much energy early on, he was blowing by middle rounds.

I'd be more inclined to go with the more measured and (seemingly) durable guy here and pick Golovkin, but Benn's got the puncher's chance and it'd be big fun while it lasted.

Eubank is the one who has the best shot, for me. Tremendous chin and conditioning, awkward and cagey, knew how to use the ring space and unpredictable in what he'd do - more so than the three other guys here. I think the problem is that he might have to stop Golovkin to win, though. I'm not sure he'd be busy enough to win the fight on points unless he had some very generous judges, which to be fair did apply now and then for Chris!

The younger Eubank was a hurtful puncher when he let his hands go and made Benn and Watson's (eventually) aggression work against them as he was able to walk them on to stiffening shots, but until I see Golovkin hurt it's a bit hard to give Eubank the benefit of the doubt here, much as I'd like to. Eubank frustrates Golovkin and makes it hard work for him, and threatens a comeback with a late-rounds flurry, but Golovkin takes a hard-fought points verdict.

Clean sweep in Golovkin's favour for me, but there's a couple which would be very interesting.
88Chris05
88Chris05
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9640
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 35
Location : Nottingham

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:22 pm

Collins would put in the highest work rate of the four and would pursue Golovkin. He would make it uncomfortable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking a shot. Collins gets outboxed like all the others for me but he has as good a chance as Benn or Watson.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

Strongback wrote:Collins would put in the highest work rate of the four and would pursue Golovkin.  He would make it uncomfortable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking a shot.  Collins gets outboxed like all the others for me but he has as good a chance as Benn or Watson.

Collins is the worst of the four and would be beaten easy..........

Benn, Eubank and Watson aren't Irish ....we get it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

Oh, was there some Irish bias to STRONGY's post, it was so subtle I almost missed it. He's getting quite crafty these days.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Collins would put in the highest work rate of the four and would pursue Golovkin.  He would make it uncomfortable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking a shot.  Collins gets outboxed like all the others for me but he has as good a chance as Benn or Watson.

Collins is the worst of the four and would be beaten easy..........

Benn, Eubank and Watson aren't Irish ....we get it !!


I don't rate Collins too highly but he did come to England and burst the bubble of the farce that was going on around British middle weight boxing at the time.

Collins beat a 28 year old Eubank and then did it again. Eubank went on to put up credible performances against Calzaghe and Thompson. Talk about rose tinted.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:41 pm

I saw the Mccallum v Collins fight........... Rolling Eyes

I also saw Collins beat a bunch of faded Brit fighters..

Good solid pro..............But no more..

Knew he'd get trashed off calzaghe and legged it..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:41 pm

So he beat two fighters you don't rate and that makes him good does it? Alright nobber, back in your box.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:54 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Collins would put in the highest work rate of the four and would pursue Golovkin.  He would make it uncomfortable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking a shot.  Collins gets outboxed like all the others for me but he has as good a chance as Benn or Watson.

Collins is the worst of the four and would be beaten easy..........

Benn, Eubank and Watson aren't Irish ....we get it !!


I don't rate Collins too highly but he did come to England and burst the bubble of the farce that was going on around British middle weight boxing at the time.

Do you mean Super Middle or are we including Pyatt and renaming the topic the fab five chin

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4420
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Coxy001 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Collins would put in the highest work rate of the four and would pursue Golovkin.  He would make it uncomfortable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking a shot.  Collins gets outboxed like all the others for me but he has as good a chance as Benn or Watson.

Collins is the worst of the four and would be beaten easy..........

Benn, Eubank and Watson aren't Irish ....we get it !!


I don't rate Collins too highly but he did come to England and burst the bubble of the farce that was going on around British middle weight boxing at the time.

Collins beat a 28 year old Eubank and then did it again.  Eubank went on to put up credible performances against Calzaghe and Thompson.  Talk about rose tinted.

He fought Eubank in Ireland, twice.

And MAB lost to Junior Jones, twice. We all rank him above Jones so your point is?

They'd borderline killed a fighter each, it's no secret they weren't the same fighter and were already on the decline and that Collins had hit his prime.

And if you think the trio of Benn/Watson/Eubank were are a farce then, well, words don't begin to describe what I think of that. I totally and utterly forgot that they weren't among the cream of the crop in their division and we just witnessed domestic level dust ups.

Even with your nationalist idiocy that's rewriting history there Strongy.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:22 pm

I struggle to rate Collins in some ways. I think it's a little harsh to view him (as many do) as some lucky club fighter who just came along at the right time to beat over-the-hill versions of Eubank and Benn, or to say that he browned it at the sight of a young Calzaghe emerging. I think Calzaghe would have beaten him in 1997, don't get me wrong, but we've got the benefit of hindsight there. At the time Calzaghe was a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of anyone knowing how good he really was, who'd been criticised for the relatively slow progression of his career.

Maybe Collins saw something which put the frighteners up him with Calzaghe, who knows, but his official line of not being able to find the motivation for a young domestic fighter with limited profile having (alledgedly) chased and failed to get the Jones Jr fight seems fair enough from the outset, for me.

You could argue that losing a razor-thin decision to someone like Reggie Johnson is worth just as much as a few successful title defences on Eubank / Benn's records against the likes of Gary Stretch, Ray Close, Doug De Witt and Lou Gent. Until 1994 Collins was a loser against his best and most significant opponents, but his best and most significant opponents (McCallum, Johnson and Kalambay) were often better than those of the British Middles / Super-Middles, Benn's superb win against McClellan aside.

Eubank was still a pretty young man when Collins beat him. It's rough justice on Collins to say he beat some kind of shell. But Eubank did fight in a bit of a daze at Millstreet and arguably gave it away as much as Collins won it. To be fair to Collins, Eubank had been fighting like that - long lulls in fights and looking to do just enough - for a good while, but it was something which came to the fore more and more since the Watson rematch.

Physically there was nowt wrong with Eubank and his performances further down the line against Calzaghe and Thompson demonstrate that he still had something left when he fought Collins, but to balance that out he had seemingly lost a bit of his cutting edge by 1995, too. Benn was finished by the time Collins beat him, though. Not much room for debate there.

I think some of the negative perceptions of Collins are unfair but as an overall fighter and on career accomplishments I couldn't put him in front of Eubank and Benn, even if he is 4-0 against them.
88Chris05
88Chris05
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9640
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 35
Location : Nottingham

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:26 pm

Browned it.....

I like that.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:31 pm

Maybe Collins saw something which put the frighteners up him with Calzaghe, who knows, but his official line of not being able to find the motivation for a young domestic fighter with limited profile having (alledgedly) chased and failed to get the Jones Jr fight seems fair enough from the outset, for me.

Sound familiar Mr Froch?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 5:33 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Collins would put in the highest work rate of the four and would pursue Golovkin.  He would make it uncomfortable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking a shot.  Collins gets outboxed like all the others for me but he has as good a chance as Benn or Watson.

Collins is the worst of the four and would be beaten easy..........

Benn, Eubank and Watson aren't Irish ....we get it !!


I don't rate Collins too highly but he did come to England and burst the bubble of the farce that was going on around British middle weight boxing at the time.

Collins beat a 28 year old Eubank and then did it again.  Eubank went on to put up credible performances against Calzaghe and Thompson.  Talk about rose tinted.

He fought Eubank in Ireland, twice.

And MAB lost to Junior Jones, twice. We all rank him above Jones so your point is?

They'd borderline killed a fighter each, it's no secret they weren't the same fighter and were already on the decline and that Collins had hit his prime.

And if you think the trio of Benn/Watson/Eubank were are a farce then, well, words don't begin to describe what I think of that. I totally and utterly forgot that they weren't among the cream of the crop in their division and we just witnessed domestic level dust ups.

Even with your nationalist idiocy that's rewriting history there Strongy.


Glad you can see the four weren't the cream of the crop in their division and the series of fights between them was based on domestic rivalry trumped up to a national terrestrial audience.  Where do you think Eddie got the idea for PPV domestic dust ups?

Colourful fighters in exciting local fights essentially competing for the title of champion of London.  The WBO belt at the time was of lesser value.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 5:39 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I struggle to rate Collins in some ways. I think it's a little harsh to view him (as many do) as some lucky club fighter who just came along at the right time to beat over-the-hill versions of Eubank and Benn, or to say that he browned it at the sight of a young Calzaghe emerging. I think Calzaghe would have beaten him in 1997, don't get me wrong, but we've got the benefit of hindsight there. At the time Calzaghe was a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of anyone knowing how good he really was, who'd been criticised for the relatively slow progression of his career.

Maybe Collins saw something which put the frighteners up him with Calzaghe, who knows, but his official line of not being able to find the motivation for a young domestic fighter with limited profile having (alledgedly) chased and failed to get the Jones Jr fight seems fair enough from the outset, for me.

You could argue that losing a razor-thin decision to someone like Reggie Johnson is worth just as much as a few successful title defences on Eubank / Benn's records against the likes of Gary Stretch, Ray Close, Doug De Witt and Lou Gent. Until 1994 Collins was a loser against his best and most significant opponents, but his best and most significant opponents (McCallum, Johnson and Kalambay) were often better than those of the British Middles / Super-Middles, Benn's superb win against McClellan aside.

Eubank was still a pretty young man when Collins beat him. It's rough justice on Collins to say he beat some kind of shell. But Eubank did fight in a bit of a daze at Millstreet and arguably gave it away as much as Collins won it. To be fair to Collins, Eubank had been fighting like that - long lulls in fights and looking to do just enough - for a good while, but it was something which came to the fore more and more since the Watson rematch.

Physically there was nowt wrong with Eubank and his performances further down the line against Calzaghe and Thompson demonstrate that he still had something left when he fought Collins, but to balance that out he had seemingly lost a bit of his cutting edge by 1995, too. Benn was finished by the time Collins beat him, though. Not much room for debate there.

I think some of the negative perceptions of Collins are unfair but as an overall fighter and on career accomplishments I couldn't put him in front of Eubank and Benn, even if he is 4-0 against them.


Always seemed to me that their legacy was based upon Benn's destruction of Barkley and a win in a tainted fight against McClennan. We know Eubank never actually beat anybody of real note.



Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 21 Apr 2015, 5:43 pm

Apart from Holmes, Benn and Rocchigiani but I can see your thinking, they're British so must be crap, Collins feasted on their remains.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Tue 21 Apr 2015, 5:46 pm

Strongback wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I struggle to rate Collins in some ways. I think it's a little harsh to view him (as many do) as some lucky club fighter who just came along at the right time to beat over-the-hill versions of Eubank and Benn, or to say that he browned it at the sight of a young Calzaghe emerging. I think Calzaghe would have beaten him in 1997, don't get me wrong, but we've got the benefit of hindsight there. At the time Calzaghe was a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of anyone knowing how good he really was, who'd been criticised for the relatively slow progression of his career.

Maybe Collins saw something which put the frighteners up him with Calzaghe, who knows, but his official line of not being able to find the motivation for a young domestic fighter with limited profile having (alledgedly) chased and failed to get the Jones Jr fight seems fair enough from the outset, for me.

You could argue that losing a razor-thin decision to someone like Reggie Johnson is worth just as much as a few successful title defences on Eubank / Benn's records against the likes of Gary Stretch, Ray Close, Doug De Witt and Lou Gent. Until 1994 Collins was a loser against his best and most significant opponents, but his best and most significant opponents (McCallum, Johnson and Kalambay) were often better than those of the British Middles / Super-Middles, Benn's superb win against McClellan aside.

Eubank was still a pretty young man when Collins beat him. It's rough justice on Collins to say he beat some kind of shell. But Eubank did fight in a bit of a daze at Millstreet and arguably gave it away as much as Collins won it. To be fair to Collins, Eubank had been fighting like that - long lulls in fights and looking to do just enough - for a good while, but it was something which came to the fore more and more since the Watson rematch.

Physically there was nowt wrong with Eubank and his performances further down the line against Calzaghe and Thompson demonstrate that he still had something left when he fought Collins, but to balance that out he had seemingly lost a bit of his cutting edge by 1995, too. Benn was finished by the time Collins beat him, though. Not much room for debate there.

I think some of the negative perceptions of Collins are unfair but as an overall fighter and on career accomplishments I couldn't put him in front of Eubank and Benn, even if he is 4-0 against them.


Always seemed to me that their legacy was based upon Benn's destruction of Barkley and a win in a tainted fight against McClennan.  We know Eubank never actually beat anybody of real note.



Suppose it's better than trying to convince a bunch of anon's that your a successful businessman with a penchant for any sport, that knows everybody revolving around any Ireland sporting triumph Whistle

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:27 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Apart from Holmes, Benn and Rocchigiani but I can see your thinking, they're British so must be crap, Collins feasted on their remains.


That's a who's who of the cream of middleweight/ super middleweight at time.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:29 pm

Derbymanc wrote:
Strongback wrote:


Always seemed to me that their legacy was based upon Benn's destruction of Barkley and a win in a tainted fight against McClennan.  We know Eubank never actually beat anybody of real note.



Suppose it's better than trying to convince a bunch of anon's that your a successful businessman with a penchant for any sport, that knows everybody  revolving around any Ireland sporting triumph Whistle


Just stating the obvious.  Eubank got beat by a journey man.......twice.  Read Chris' post.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

Strongback wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:
Strongback wrote:


Always seemed to me that their legacy was based upon Benn's destruction of Barkley and a win in a tainted fight against McClennan.  We know Eubank never actually beat anybody of real note.



Suppose it's better than trying to convince a bunch of anon's that your a successful businessman with a penchant for any sport, that knows everybody  revolving around any Ireland sporting triumph Whistle


Just stating the obvious.  Eubank got beat by a journey man.......twice.  Read Chris' post.

So was I buddy.

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

Strongback wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Apart from Holmes, Benn and Rocchigiani but I can see your thinking, they're British so must be crap, Collins feasted on their remains.


That's a who's who of the cream of middleweight/ super middleweight at time.

Don't change the goal posts now that isn't what you said, you specifically said beat nobody of note which is false. There's also Watson too.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:53 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Apart from Holmes, Benn and Rocchigiani but I can see your thinking, they're British so must be crap, Collins feasted on their remains.


That's a who's who of the cream of middleweight/ super middleweight at time.

Don't change the goal posts now that isn't what you said, you specifically said beat nobody of note which is false. There's also Watson too.


None of them are of note. None of them will make a dent in world boxing history. You throwing in Holmes and Rocchigiani says it all. You're grasping at straws.

A 28 year version of Eubank who went on to have good performances was beaten by a good journeyman pro in Collins. It was big fish in a small pond and nobody except ITV viewers were watching and of course Steve Collins who spied a way to make some easy money.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:17 pm

In your mind 'of note' means among the greats of boxing, you know as well as I do that's a load of old rubbish, Nigel Benn for instance did make a rather large in boxing history. No doubt as a reply you'll say how he's only known in the UK but that would just be deliberate nit picking on your part. It's easy to dismiss Holmes and Rocchigiani out of hand but both were more than capable WORLD level operators, going over to Germany beat the latter can't be underestimated either.

You can refer to Eubanks age another million times Strongy but it isn't going to miraculously make him anything other than a gunshy boxer who had seen better days, it pains you to admit that Collins was fortunate. Not every boxer has to travel to America to prove their worth especially when the big fights happen to be in your own backyard. Both were amongst the very best at middleweight and super middle for a fair few years.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by catchweight Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

Collins was the least talented of the four but arguably the most consistent performer. Not unlike Carl Froch nowadays. Eubank may have been the most talented but was probably the least consistent. He had several near misses before he lost to Collins (twice) so it was only a matter of time.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:49 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:In your mind 'of note' means among the greats of boxing, you know as well as I do that's a load of old rubbish, Nigel Benn for instance did make a rather large in boxing history. No doubt as a reply you'll say how he's only known in the UK but that would just be deliberate nit picking on your part. It's easy to dismiss Holmes and Rocchigiani out of hand but both were more than capable WORLD level operators, going over to Germany beat the latter can't be underestimated either.

You can refer to Eubanks age another million times Strongy but it isn't going to miraculously make him anything other than a gunshy boxer who had seen better days, it pains you to admit that Collins was fortunate. Not every boxer has to travel to America to prove their worth especially when the big fights happen to be in your own backyard. Both were amongst the very best at middleweight and super middle for a fair few years.


I couldn't care less about Collin, I never rated him and never liked him or his brother Roddy. My point is and has been in this thread and others that this foursome weren't all that in the light of the recognition they get.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm

A lot of people would disagree with you Strongy, although I suppose you know most of the boxing experts so got your opinion off them???

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm

catchweight wrote:Collins was the least talented of the four but arguably the most consistent performer. Not unlike Carl Froch nowadays. Eubank may have been the most talented but was probably the least consistent. He had several near misses before he lost to Collins (twice) so it was only a matter of time.


You thinking about that world level colossus Ray Close?

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:52 pm

Derbymanc wrote:A lot of people would disagree with you Strongy, although I suppose you know most of the boxing experts so got your opinion off them???


You're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Lighten up.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:56 pm

How does that equate scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Just giving you a nudge to try and sort me a Q and A out with one of the many trainers and sportsmen you know Wink

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:56 pm

Shock horror exciting English trio of middleweights highly regarded on an English forum in England.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:01 pm

Derbymanc wrote:How does that equate scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Just giving you a nudge to try and sort me a Q and A out with one of the many trainers and sportsmen you know Wink

No shortage of info on Team McGregor on the net.  Do a bit of reading.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:09 pm

At least you finally admit where you get your info from.

Probably why half of your info is always wrong though. Must look harder Strongy Wink

Thinking of which, has any seen Jabby lately, and if your reading this can you drop me a PM, got an idea (and no it's not to take the mick)

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:24 pm

You should be glad a rich tycoon with a famous Dad and 30 inch arms (natural) is bothering to answer your posts !!

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:31 pm

Derbymanc wrote:At least you finally admit where you get your info from.

Probably why half of your info is always wrong though. Must look harder Strongy Wink

Thinking of which, has any seen Jabby lately, and if your reading this can you drop me a PM, got an idea (and no it's not to take the mick)


I have no info on McGregor, I don't watch MMA as I have said many times down through the years on this board.
I do know McGregor's trainer but not through MMA or fighting of any kind.  I wouldn't ask him to talk to you because you're an idiot.  You've too much time on your hands and every day you're becoming an even bigger clown.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You should be glad a rich tycoon with a famous Dad and 30 inch arms (natural) is bothering to answer your posts !!

Being bank rolled by your father law and having a personal secretary are two luxuries I don't have.

Who the fook wants 30 inch arms?  Is that your goal? keep eating the pizza.

It's a great feeling knowing all my lifts are my own and I had the genetics to stand on stage and compete clean.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm

Scandalous with your amazing life.....

That you're so dull..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:50 pm

Strongback wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:At least you finally admit where you get your info from.

Probably why half of your info is always wrong though. Must look harder Strongy Wink

Thinking of which, has any seen Jabby lately, and if your reading this can you drop me a PM, got an idea (and no it's not to take the mick)


I have no info on McGregor, I don't watch MMA as I have said many times down through the years on this board.
I do know McGregor's trainer but not through MMA or fighting of any kind.  I wouldn't ask him to talk to you because you're an idiot.  You've too much time on your hands and every day you're becoming an even bigger clown.

I'll translate that for you Derby; "I in fact don't know McGregor's trainer, I thought i'd try and look smart by googling his name".

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:21 am

Are you sure, i'm the one becoming the bigger clown hmmmmmm, every week there's some new claim from yourself (funnily enough, mostly involving the first people that pop up when you use a google search) that nobody on here believes.

Keep it up though, it keeps the rest of us laughing.

Oh and just because you cross your fingers and hope posting a reply 2 hours later will mean I won't notice........I will Wink

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:13 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:At least you finally admit where you get your info from.

Probably why half of your info is always wrong though. Must look harder Strongy Wink

Thinking of which, has any seen Jabby lately, and if your reading this can you drop me a PM, got an idea (and no it's not to take the mick)


I have no info on McGregor, I don't watch MMA as I have said many times down through the years on this board.
I do know McGregor's trainer but not through MMA or fighting of any kind.  I wouldn't ask him to talk to you because you're an idiot.  You've too much time on your hands and every day you're becoming an even bigger clown.

I'll translate that for you Derby; "I in fact don't know McGregor's trainer, I thought i'd try and look smart by googling his name".


In fact I do know him.  I wouldn't call it a claim to fame.  

You should get out of your parents basement more often.........you might meet some real people.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:16 am

Dopey me, thought that was aimed at me. Smile

BTW I wasn't asking just for me, the better articles out there the more it helps the site to grow and the better the community.

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:23 am

Derby do you ever get any sleep you're on here 24 hours a day.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:26 am

Are you sure about that Strongy or do you have difficulty reading some of the users names and just assume it's all me.

Plus sleeps for the weak.

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Strongback Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:31 am

A
Derbymanc wrote:Are you sure about that Strongy or do you have difficulty reading some of the users names and just assume it's all me.

Plus sleeps for the weak.


You're not on Truss' level of obsession........he's hitting 30,000 posts!

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Derbymanc Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:49 am

Give me time Strongy Wink

Derbymanc

Posts : 4008
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Lance Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:59 pm

All four are far better than Murray or Macklin. Be interesting to see Golovkin fight a guy who can punch, has come to win and isnt afraid. All would be interesting fights

Lance

Posts : 1712
Join date : 2011-10-29

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 6:14 pm

Lance wrote:All four are far better than Murray or Macklin. Be interesting to see Golovkin fight a guy who can punch, has come to win and isnt afraid. All would be interesting fights

Can Munroe jr punch ??........... I've never heard of him............

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Lance Fri 24 Apr 2015, 7:44 pm

Not seen him either, but the 30% ko rate and loss to Boone does not make me too hopeful. Another easy opponent lined up way too quickly for me to believe he pursued anyone better.

How can everyone be avoiding a guy who is never available to negotiate?? Always got the next easy pay day lined up. Will keep doin it so long as his fans keep lapping it up.

Lance

Posts : 1712
Join date : 2011-10-29

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 24 Apr 2015, 7:49 pm

That is actually a very fair point Lance.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by catchweight Fri 24 Apr 2015, 7:55 pm

Nonsense

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins) - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG vs The Brit fab four !! (Benn, Eubank, Watson and Collins)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum