The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

+25
Happytravelling
catchweight
EdWoodjr
theanimal316
RanjitPatel
Rodney
Marlonz
.aveyard2.0
Rowley
Eyetoldyouso
Scottrf
longgame
Nico the gman
Coxy001
horizontalhero
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
Lance
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
AdamT
irishbrads
TRUSSMAN66
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman .... Empty Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:33 pm

Manny
-------

Mike Tyson.....Bonecrusher Smith.....Miguel Cotto....Marvin Hagler......Oscar DelaHoya......Larry Holmes...Johnny Nelson....Nonito Donaire......Muhammad Ali ?? ......Ivan Robinson.....Timothy Bradley......

Mayweather
-------------

Ray Leonard...Keith Thurman.....Tony Bellew....Adrien Broner....Iran Barkley....Charles Brewer.....Tommy Hearns....Montell Griffin....Deontay Wilder....Ray Mancini.....Kell Brook.........JMM.......Chris Algieri...Amir Khan...Nigel Benn.......Wlad Klit...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman .... Empty Re: Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

Post by irishbrads Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

de la hoya has backed everyone of Mayweathers opponents since mayweather beat him including Guererro

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman .... Empty Re: Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

Post by AdamT Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:38 pm

Roach is saying Manny can win this fight with his right hand tied behind his back.

With that confidence I will have to change my prediction to a Manny shutout

Last edited by AdamT on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:39 pm

AdamT wrote:Rolach is saying Manny can win this fight with his right hand tied behind his back.

With that con fidence I will have to change my predection to a Manny shutout

Have to discount Oscar and Broner really.......

Bradley and JMM are most interesting.......Both fought Manny and are going different ways..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

Reckon Miguel and JMM are the more interesting. Delà Hoya also fought both, but he's been trying to sell a dodgy blueprint to any Hispanic fighter willing to listen for years (suppose his strategy could have lasted that little bit longer in his younger years to get him the win, but que sera sera)

Reckon it's going to be about who has the happier feet myself. If Floyd can't get out of the pocket fast enough he's in trouble. If Manny can't dart in and out fast enough... shut out.

The thing with Roach is that, Marquez aside, I don't think he's been too far off with predictions for any of his charges. Hell, he warned us repeatedly that Martinez was going to get got.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

Reckon Miguel and JMM are the more interesting. Delà Hoya also fought both, but he's been trying to sell a dodgy blueprint to any Hispanic fighter willing to listen for years (suppose his strategy could have lasted that little bit longer in his younger years to get him the win, but que sera sera)

Reckon it's going to be about who has the happier feet myself. If Floyd can't get out of the pocket fast enough he's in trouble. If Manny can't dart in and out fast enough... shut out.

The thing with Roach is that, Marquez aside, I don't think he's been too far off with predictions for any of his charges. Hell, he warned us repeatedly that Martinez was going to get got.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

Cotto has Roach as his trainer..........But that's not to say he's not speaking his mind..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:53 pm

Tyson is the only one of the Pacquiao backers that has an opinion worth listening as most have a vested interest in backing him like Donaire or have a strong dislike for him like De La Hoya.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:57 pm

Pacquiao 11 rounds to one. I have changed my view.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:58 pm

To be fair Hagler, Holmes, Bonecrusher, Robinson and Ali....(Ali is denying it apparently)

Haven't really got axis to grind........Maybe Mayweather reminds Hagler of Leonard..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:02 pm

This is taken from Boxing News 24 - saw it posted earlier. De la Hoya doing his usual, "Head says Mayweather, heart says Pacquiao" thing, as a couple of others are. 28 out of 36 fighters, trainers and writers here go with Floyd.

-----------------------------------------------

Wladimir Klitschko: Mayweather
"I think on the boxing side, slight advantage for Mayweather—51 percent for Mayweather and 49 percent for Pacquiao. As a person, I like Pacquiao better than Mayweather, but from a boxing standpoint, I think that Mayweather has a better chance to win this fight."

Chris Algieri: Mayweather
“I think he (Manny) can actually give Floyd a run in this fight,” Still, “I’m going with Floyd…its styles.”

Keith Thurman: Mayweather
“I lean towards Mayweather,” “He hasn’t shown us anything to doubt him. He is pound for pound the best.” He’s gonna pot shot with the jab to the stomach, the jab to the head, like he likes, and he’s gonna mix up his power punches.”

Paulie Malignaggi: Mayweather
“The primary reason why I pick Floyd Mayweather to win on May 2, is I think he has a better control of range.”

Iran Barkley: Mayweather
"I think Mayweather wins a decision,"
"He's too fast. He has to be careful though, he can't get careless against 'Pac Man.' But Mayweather will win."

Sugar Ray Leonard: Mayweather
“I would say I lean toward Mayweather because he hasn’t tasted defeat and he doesn’t want to taste defeat. And I look at Pacquiao and I see a guy, a champion, who is equipped with such speed and power and unfortunately he was KO'd big-time by Marquez.

Sergio Mora: Mayweather
“I think earlier in their careers, Pacquiao could have challenged and possibly gotten the better of Mayweather (Mayweather on a bad night, that is). I think Floyd is one of the most naturally gifted, self disciplined fighters in boxing history. I don’t think this 2015 version of Manny Pacquiao can beat Floyd Mayweather – especially with all the stringent, Olympic style blood testing being administered. It’s Mayweather by decision for me.”

Glen Johnson: Mayweather
“I believe Mayweather will win the fight by unanimous decision. Pacquiao isn’t fighting with the energy he had five years ago, when he had the best chance he had of beating Mayweather. That’s the kind of urgency he needs now in order for him to beat Mayweather. He will lose the fight, he doesn’t have what it takes to beat Mayweather.”

Mike Tyson: Pacquiao
‘I thought from the start that Paquiao is going to win. This guy is perpetual motion. He comes from every angle. He’s all energy. Always throwing punches. Never stops.
‘Floyd tucks in and picks his shots and he is more accurate. But he doesn’t throw anything like Manny’s hundred punches a round.

Sergio Martinez: Mayweather
“Floyd Mayweather can have Manny for breakfast, lunch or anything,” “Pacquiao is still a long way from being ready.” “This was never too much of a fight to me, because Mayweather is in a league of his own.”

Kell Brook: Mayweather
“I believe Mayweather’s going to win the fight.”

Amir Khan: Mayweather
“I believe Mayweather’s going to win the fight,”

Mikey Garcia: Mayweather
“First three or four rounds, Pacquiao’s aggressive, making a good fight. But then Mayweather starts outboxing him, figures something out and just takes control.”

Roy Jones Jr. : Pacquiao
Thinks FMJ needs a KO to win. Dosn't pick a winner but it's almost like picking Pacquiao.
"You don’t get Mayweather to engage. Pacquiao’s plan should be to outwork Mayweather and outpoint. He’s not going to be able to force Mayweather to engage. He can do what he wants to do and try, but he can’t force a defensive fighter who’s that skilled and defensive. You can’t make him engage. I think Floyd will have to knockout Pacquiao to win. If there’s a decision, I think Pacquiao wins the decision,"

Joel Diaz (the trainer of Timothy Bradley): Mayweather
"If Manny gives Floyd time and space, Floyd will pick him apart,"
"And when Manny starts missing punches he starts to tire up a little bit. You have to make him think. That slows him down."
"Manny wants you to come to him. When that happens, it's like running into a train," Diaz said. "Floyd won't do that. For Manny to win he has to attack and that's going to be difficult for 12 rounds without making a mistake.

Joe Goossen: Mayweather
"How do you pick anyone over Mayweather?" It's kinda like a bad bet."
"There's no denying Floyd Mayweather has beaten the greatest fighters of our generation. And sometimes quite easily."

Andre Ward: Mayweather
If I look at the track records I've always seen him do the ajustments, period. So there's no reasons I don't see him do the ajustments in this fight.
I'm always gonna lean toward Floyd.

Ignacio Beristain: Pacquiao
I know very well Pacquiao, I've seen him fight many times. He's very good. And everybody picks Mayweather to win the fight because he wins so much against easy fighters, but Pacquiao is just too tough, too strong."

Virgil Hunter: Mayweather
“Again I kind of have to go with Mayweather in that match-up because what I’ve seen from Manny is he hasn’t made that seasoned transition yet, and what I mean by that is he still fights at that high energy, frenetic pace, and you know at his age that style should’ve been relaxed by now and he knows when to turn it on and turn it off.”

George Foreman: Pacquiao
"Mayweather loses the first 3 rounds, he does that all the time. He would not be able to catch up, al tough he will finish stronger. But I'll give it
to Pacquiao by 1 round"

Joe Calzaghe: Mayweather
"Pacquiao can fight and there's always one great fight left in somebody, But I think the win will go to Mayweather."

Teddy Atlas: Pacquiao
Mayweather’s greatest strength is also his weakness…his defense,”
Pacquiao can win the close rounds by out-hustling or outworking Mayweather. Manny has the feet to get to Floyd, and also has the speed to let his hands go when he does.”

Roberto Duran: Pacquiao
“I have always had thought Pacquiao would win…because ive studied Pacquiao’s fight as I have also Mayweather’s”
“Remember in life, anyone could be fooled. So they could fool me. But I think Pacquiao is going to beat him.”

Oscar De La Hoya: Mayweather
“My head tells me that Mayweather will win but my heart tells me Pacquiao. I’m not the biggest fan of Mayweather so I’d most definitely like to see Pacquiao win.”

Shane Mosley:Mayweather
I think that Mayweather has the speed and the movement and the ability to win, this is the tyoe of fight that could go either way, but my pick is definetly Mayweather

Lennox Lewis: Mayweather
I think if it goes the distance Mayweather's going to win. I think Mayweather's movement is to quick and I still believe if you can't catch it you can't hit it.

Bernard Hopkins: Mayweather
Well first of all I think the first six rounds of this 12 rounds fight peoples gonna get the money worth early. And after six rounds Mayweather will make the adjustments and win a decision.
I don't think is gonna be a unianimous I think is gonna be, maybe a controversial decision.

Ricky Hatton: Mayweather
“I think Manny has all the tools in order to beat him. He’s a southpaw which makes it a little bit awkward. He’s got fast feet and fast hands and is probably someone who can match Mayweather for speed. I think if he can match Mayweather for speed and get in and out like he did against Oscar De La Hoya – straight punches rather than hooks, which Manny is very good at – I think he’s got a great chance. But my gut feeling is that Mayweather will adapt his style like he always does and probably beat Manny on points,”

Juan Manuel Marquez: Mayweather
"I think Mayweather's going to win this fight because Mayweather has a great defense, he uses the couter-punch very well, is more inteligent than Pacquiao."

Ray Mancini: Mayweather
“The fight should have happened a long time ago,“but the same thing I said would happen six years ago I think will happen, I think Mayweather beats him.”

Johnny Nelson(Sky Television Broadcaster): Pacquiao
“Common sense tells me to favor Floyd Mayweather,” he says. Still, when Nelson really thinks it over, he seems to arrive at a different conclusion. “I’m kind of leaning towards Manny Pacquiao,” he admits.

Brandon Rios: Mayweather
"It feels wrong for me to say this but I think Floyd beats Manny Pacquiao. Floyd is just a very defensive fighter, he’s got so many skills, he’s been in so many positions and he does have that skill. I do believe that Floyd beats him,"

Carl Froch: Mayweather
"My prediction is simple and plain: Floyd Mayweather on points,” he asserted. “He’s absolutely brilliant and has proven time and time again that he can, quite effectively, make it look easy. He works hard in the gym but sometimes it looks like he’s not having to work hard while he’s fighting."

Dan Rafael: Mayweather
"From the moment this fight appeared on all of our radar screens in late 2009, I always thought the same thing would happen: That it was a fantastic style match and that Mayweather would beat Pacquiao by decision."

Thomas Hearns: Mayweather
“I’m glad that fight is coming up, but I tell you this; there is no way that fight will top the fights me and [Marvin] Hagler and [Ray] Leonard had! I don’t care how much they’re getting paid. Their fight will not reach that status, no way. I have nothing bad to say about Mayweather or Pacquiao, they’re both great fighters. Mayweather is smart. I just don’t know if Pacquiao can match what Mayweather does in the ring.”

Erik Morales: Paquiao“Pacquiao is faster and have strong links, I think he will win,”
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:To be fair Hagler, Holmes, Bonecrusher, Robinson and Ali....(Ali is denying it apparently)

Haven't really got axis to grind........Maybe Mayweather reminds Hagler of Leonard..

Hagler and Holmes resent any loud mouth who has made more money than them.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:08 pm

Floyds legs are gone, Maidana exposed him

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:11 pm

[quote="88Chris05"]This is taken from Boxing News 24 - saw it posted earlier. De la Hoya doing his usual, "Head says Mayweather, heart says Pacquiao" thing, as a couple of others are. 28 out of 36 fighters, trainers and writers here go with Floyd.

-----------------------------------------------

Wladimir Klitschko: Mayweather
"I think on the boxing side, slight advantage for Mayweather—51 percent for Mayweather and 49 percent for Pacquiao. As a person, I like Pacquiao better than Mayweather, but from a boxing standpoint, I think that Mayweather has a better chance to win this fight."

Chris Algieri: Mayweather
“I think he (Manny) can actually give Floyd a run in this fight,” Still, “I’m going with Floyd…its styles.”

Keith Thurman: Mayweather
“I lean towards Mayweather,” “He hasn’t shown us anything to doubt him. He is pound for pound the best.” He’s gonna pot shot with the jab to the stomach, the jab to the head, like he likes, and he’s gonna mix up his power punches.”

Paulie Malignaggi: Mayweather
“The primary reason why I pick Floyd Mayweather to win on May 2, is I think he has a better control of range.”

Iran Barkley: Mayweather
"I think Mayweather wins a decision,"
"He's too fast. He has to be careful though, he can't get careless against 'Pac Man.' But Mayweather will win."

Sugar Ray Leonard: Mayweather
“I would say I lean toward Mayweather because he hasn’t tasted defeat and he doesn’t want to taste defeat. And I look at Pacquiao and I see a guy, a champion, who is equipped with such speed and power and unfortunately he was KO'd big-time by Marquez.

Sergio Mora: Mayweather
“I think earlier in their careers, Pacquiao could have challenged and possibly gotten the better of Mayweather (Mayweather on a bad night, that is). I think Floyd is one of the most naturally gifted, self disciplined fighters in boxing history. I don’t think this 2015 version of Manny Pacquiao can beat Floyd Mayweather – especially with all the stringent, Olympic style blood testing being administered. It’s Mayweather by decision for me.”

Glen Johnson: Mayweather
“I believe Mayweather will win the fight by unanimous decision. Pacquiao isn’t fighting with the energy he had five years ago, when he had the best chance he had of beating Mayweather. That’s the kind of urgency he needs now in order for him to beat Mayweather. He will lose the fight, he doesn’t have what it takes to beat Mayweather.”

Mike Tyson: Pacquiao
‘I thought from the start that Paquiao is going to win. This guy is perpetual motion. He comes from every angle. He’s all energy. Always throwing punches. Never stops.
‘Floyd tucks in and picks his shots and he is more accurate. But he doesn’t throw anything like Manny’s hundred punches a round.

Teddy Atlas: Pacquiao
Mayweather’s greatest strength is also his weakness…his defense,”

Cheers chris.......... thumbsup

Atlas is an interesting one.............Technical coach..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:21 pm

AdamT wrote:Floyds legs are gone, Maidana exposed him

No point in getting worked up about what certain camps say about fighters..........

What people say and what they really think are different mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:29 pm

Awh I am just having a bit of fun.

Roach is sh....g himself, I find it funny listen to him ramble on every day.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:34 pm

Think a lot of boxers are voting with their hearts ahead of their heads....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 2:48 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think a lot of boxers are voting with their hearts ahead of their heads....

I expected something like that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 27 Apr 2015, 3:10 pm

Trust BHop. Hes in the know. Flloyd by split decision. Rematch wanted by all

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

Lance wrote:Trust BHop. Hes in the know. Flloyd by split decision. Rematch wanted by all

Ignorant statement............

There are actually going to have a fight you know............

Not acting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 27 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

Very strange that apparently in America most places taking bets have shortened the odds on a draw to 10/1 which is horrible odds for a draw. Even in the closest of fights they have a draw at around 22/1. Makes me a little worried they're going to do something strange...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:09 pm

With the difference on fighting styles, and by default the disparity in the way both earn their rounds... I'm not sure how you could intentionally split the rounds down the middle without it stinking high up to heaven
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:12 pm

Is CJ Ross judging....?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:12 pm

Said it a few times, this fight has draw written all over it. If this fight is so lucrative, you can only imagine how much a rematch would be worth.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:14 pm

Of all those quoted Teddy Atlas is the man I most respect in terms of technical and tactical expertise. Hope he's right!. I maintain that the winner will be the man that dictates the lateral movement- if Manny moves right and keeps Floyd turning left, his shoulder roll will open up, and Manny 'll win. If Floyd can keep moving left and keep his jab outside of Manny's right , Manny won't be able to land his own right, and his lefts will fall short and Flyod will counter him all night long.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:35 pm

We've seen Floyd using different defensive techniques HH, think if Manny does that he'll just hold his hands high like he did against Mosley.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:41 pm

I can't see any technical way in which Pacquiao is going to get the better of Mayweather, you can assume that he'll have an answer to anything like that, the big problem for opponents is that he's more aware of his weaknesses than they are. If anything it will be good old fashioned workrate that could be his undoing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:49 pm

horizontalhero wrote:Of all those quoted Teddy Atlas is the man I most respect in terms of technical and tactical expertise. Hope he's right!. I maintain that the winner will be the man that dictates the lateral movement- if Manny moves right and keeps Floyd turning left, his shoulder roll will open up, and Manny 'll win. If Floyd can keep moving left and keep his jab outside of Manny's right , Manny won't be able to land his own right, and his  lefts will fall short and Flyod will counter him all night long.

Think Floyd may have been found out if it was just about moving sideways.

Manny gets countered all night after a couple of shakey rounds for Floyd. IMO

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:49 pm

It only takes one corrupt or indifferent judge to split a decision.

Im sure some of Mannys fans believe he won the 4th Marquez fight.

All they need is a bit of controvery to warrant a rematch. I mean did we really need Mayweather Maidana 2?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:54 pm

Manny wins by stoppage....Or Floyd works him out and wins comfortably

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 27 Apr 2015, 5:59 pm

The only way I see Manny winning this is coming out fast and setting a high tempo,and trying to knock Mayweather out of his stride.
One things for sure it would be a huge surprise if Pacquiao managed to out box Mayweather,it just wont happen.

I will be cheering Manny on hoping he can pull it off.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 27 Apr 2015, 6:03 pm

I thought Flloyd beat DeLaHoya and Alvarez fairly comfortably Truss. Didnt stop there being controversy. If they can find a way to sell a rematch, I think they will. Doesnt mean the fighters wont go at it.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 6:18 pm

I scored Oscar v Floyd a draw..........

I had JMM beating Manny three times....

I've said all along If Floyd controls the pace he wins......i think Manny will eventually overwhelm him though with work rate....

You can tell Roach fancies it and the other top coach Atlas fancies Manny too..

Hope I'm wrong..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 27 Apr 2015, 6:42 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
horizontalhero wrote:Of all those quoted Teddy Atlas is the man I most respect in terms of technical and tactical expertise. Hope he's right!. I maintain that the winner will be the man that dictates the lateral movement- if Manny moves right and keeps Floyd turning left, his shoulder roll will open up, and Manny 'll win. If Floyd can keep moving left and keep his jab outside of Manny's right , Manny won't be able to land his own right, and his  lefts will fall short and Flyod will counter him all night long.

Think Floyd may have been found out if it was just about moving sideways.

Manny gets countered all night after a couple of shakey rounds for Floyd. IMO

Of course it's not jet about moving sideways, but in the context of this fight I think it will be a critical factor. In any fight of closely matched boxers when one is southpaw and the other orthodox, keeping the front foot on the out side of the opponents front foot is very important. Boxing isn't rocket science.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm

For me, the first three rounds are vital. Manny has go win these rounds at all costs. Do that and Floyd has to go on the offensive which he can do but doesn't like. He makes it a fight and Manny's happy, he chases Manny and maybe the energy gets sapped from Floyd's legs and he's forced to stand his ground and trade...again Manny's happy. Manny can't afford a couple of "feeling out" rounds, he needs Floyd on the offensive. This makes it a better spectacle for everyone watching.

Floyd wins those first three rounds and Manny's on the front foot for the rest of the fight trying to claw back the points and as the fight wears on, likely to leave himself open to counters which Floyd will love. Manny will chase, Floyd will do enough to nullify Manny's work and it will make for a dull fight.

Probably still get neither one thing or the other and you'll end up with crazy scorecards. 116-112 for either fighter and a 115-113 or even a draw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2015, 7:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:he needs Floyd on the offensive. This makes it a better spectacle for everyone watching.

when manny comes charging, mayweather gonna be using all his defensive skills + spoiling, holding, getting the ref involved, all the tricks of the trade to keep him back. cant see manny knocking him out at all, manny has been in decline, couldnt even finish off algieri properly. mayweather fights arent great to watch, he's like the chelsea of boxing, fantastic defence, spoils the fight & just does enough to win the contest with accurate, controlled counters all night. mayweather on points will be the outcome

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 27 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

If Manny charges in it plays into floyds hands. Needs to be controlled pressure, creating angles. He needs to control the range or his pace and speed come to nothing. I am slowly trying convince myself that he can do it.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 27 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

To be honest that's what everyone said about the Maidana match up.... that recklessly charging forward would do him and he'd get countered all night long. It never happened in either fight. You can say Maidana's size helped him keep moving forward, but Floyd wasn't peppering him enough to keep him off either. Charging in and of itself isn't gonna work, but if you've got no other option, it's not the worst option against a 2015 Mayweather

I don't think Manny is just gonna recklessly charge though. He's not Mayweather, but he's a good enough pure boxer to not, I don't think, have to rely soley on pure unadulterated workrate to see him through. He loses a chess type boxing match, but he's good enough to not need to resort to wild gunslinging.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:31 am

Shame the Mcguigan 60/40 thread has been locked...

I was enjoying that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by longgame Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:34 am

I cant see Floyd not winning this fight. Worst case it will be a close decision but not a contentious one (unless you are a casual boxing fan -like far too many of my mates - who believes throwing 100 punches a round should win a fight irrelevant of anything else)

I can understand people making a case for Manny outworking Floyd, if he keeps stepping right, throwing then getting out he could have success because the shoulder roll isn't AS effective if your moving left a lot. The problem is, Manny coming in quick, throwing 3,4,5 and getting out will become very readable and Floyd wont let him do it after a few rounds.
I cant see how any plan Manny bring isn't going to be figured out by Floyd very quickly.

Of late the 2 people I remember having most success against Floyd (if only for short spells or a few rounds) are ODLH & Hatton.
Hatton had success with pressure and throwing close up shots, cortez didn't help but Floyd was always going to figure Hatton out, too many straight lines and wide hooks.
ODLH had a lot of joy because of the size advantages he had which made floyd a bit over cautious early. Still got caught on the way in almost every time.

Personally I see a Mayweather decision (something like 116-112) or a stoppage late on.
I really wouldn't be surprised if we see the most aggressive mayweather for a while though, he wants this fight to define him, he wants no one to be able to question him and also wont want pacquio to have any confidence.

The only stupid predictions iv seen are Manny to win by KO / TKO.
Have we EVER seen Floyd close to being KO'd?

He has been in with big punchers. Pacquios punch power is decent but not huge, his KOs come from people not seeing the shots or not being able to get out the way. That wont happen with Floyd..

Castillo
Cotto
Ortiz
Corralles
Alvarez
Maidana
Mosley

Every one of those guys could bang, some of them more than Pac, and none came close to putting Floyd down or stopping him.

I think people are doing what they did when hatton fought Floyd..... getting a little bit caught up with the assets that the challenger brings and forgetting just how good Floyd is!

He may not be TBE but I think he is the best most of us will ever live to see!

longgame

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:35 am

AdamT wrote:Roach is saying Manny can win this fight with his right hand tied behind his back.

As much as a respected trainer he is, he's always made himself look like a clown with what comes out of his mouth.

"Very strange that apparently in America most places taking bets have shortened the odds on a draw to 10/1 which is horrible odds for a draw. Even in the closest of fights they have a draw at around 22/1. Makes me a little worried they're going to do something strange..."

Yeah I put some money on the draw. Seems to make business sense. But I had it at 22, normally I'd expect 30-35.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:44 am

Scottrf wrote:
AdamT wrote:Roach is saying Manny can win this fight with his right hand tied behind his back.

As much as a respected trainer he is, he's always made himself look like a clown with what comes out of his mouth.

"Very strange that apparently in America most places taking bets have shortened the odds on a draw to 10/1 which is horrible odds for a draw. Even in the closest of fights they have a draw at around 22/1. Makes me a little worried they're going to do something strange..."

Yeah I put some money on the draw. Seems to make business sense. But I had it at 22, normally I'd expect 30-35.

Can't see it being a draw............

Mayweather will gas............Or he'll work Manny out early like Starling - Honey............

One is 38 and the other 36............Pace is too hot Mayweather gets nailed...........Pace is too slow it will be a clinic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:45 am

longgame wrote:I cant see Floyd not winning this fight. Worst case it will be a close decision but not a contentious one (unless you are a casual boxing fan -like far too many of my mates - who believes throwing 100 punches a round should win a fight irrelevant of anything else)

I can understand people making a case for Manny outworking Floyd, if he keeps stepping right, throwing then getting out he could have success because the shoulder roll isn't AS effective if your moving left a lot. The problem is, Manny coming in quick, throwing 3,4,5 and getting out will become very readable and Floyd wont let him do it after a few rounds.
I cant see how any plan Manny bring isn't going to be figured out by Floyd very quickly.

Of late the 2 people I remember having most success against Floyd (if only for short spells or a few rounds) are ODLH & Hatton.
Hatton had success with pressure and throwing close up shots, cortez didn't help but Floyd was always going to figure Hatton out, too many straight lines and wide hooks.
ODLH had a lot of joy because of the size advantages he had which made floyd a bit over cautious early. Still got caught on the way in almost every time.

Personally I see a Mayweather decision (something like 116-112) or a stoppage late on.
I really wouldn't be surprised if we see the most aggressive mayweather for a while though, he wants this fight to define him, he wants no one to be able to question him and also wont want pacquio to have any confidence.

The only stupid predictions iv seen are Manny to win by KO / TKO.
Have we EVER seen Floyd close to being KO'd?

He has been in with big punchers. Pacquios punch power is decent but not huge, his KOs come from people not seeing the shots or not being able to get out the way. That wont happen with Floyd..

Castillo
Cotto
Ortiz
Corralles
Alvarez
Maidana
Mosley

Every one of those guys could bang, some of them more than Pac, and none came close to putting Floyd down or stopping him.

I think people are doing what they did when hatton fought Floyd..... getting a little bit caught up with the assets that the challenger brings and forgetting just how good Floyd is!

He may not be TBE but I think he is the best most of us will ever live to see!  

Good analyis and agree with you. Lots of people hate Floyd and are blind to his talent. I am not saying it is impossible for Manny to win. However I would be extremely shocked if he could pull it off.

Manny will have very little success in this fight. He will throw 25% less punches as usual because of Floyds accurate counter punching.

We keep hearing, when has Floyd fought someone with Pacquiaos speed and movement? That is a very valid point and I agree to an extent.

However, when has Manny shared the ring with someone as skillful and quick as Floyd?

Also Floyd having the superior reach and size will play a huge part in my opinion. Floyd isn't no punch bag like Margarito or drained skeleton like Oscar. I really do believe Floyd is going to win this fight easily.

If I am wrong, I will happily come on here and pay Manny his dues.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can't see it being a draw............

Mayweather will gas............Or he'll work Manny out early like Starling - Honey............

One is 38 and the other 36............Pace is too hot Mayweather gets nailed...........Pace is too slow it will be a clinic..
If Maidana can get a draw on one card, Pacquiao can. Depends what the judges favour if the rounds are even remotely close.

I thought Mayweather clearly beat ODLH 116-112. You thought it was a draw. No reason why it can't happen.

Last edited by Scottrf on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:50 am

Maidana is nothing like Manny.............and I imagine he surprised Mayweather first up.....

Starling labored with the mauling Fugio Ozaki and then went and smashed the ten times better Honeyghan's face in...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:52 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maidana is nothing like Manny.............and I imagine he surprised Mayweather first up.....

Starling labored with the mauling Fugio Ozaki and then went and smashed the ten times better Honeyghan's face in...
That's not really the point.

I'm not comparing styles or anything, but people can score fights on a variety of factors, and when you're someone like Mayweather who is a high quality/low volume boxer that counts against you with some judges.

Do we know who the judges are BTW?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:53 am

Scottrf wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maidana is nothing like Manny.............and I imagine he surprised Mayweather first up.....

That's not really the point.

I'm not comparing styles or anything, but people can score fights on a variety of factors, and when you're someone like Mayweather who is a high quality/low volume boxer that counts against you with some judges.

Do we know who the judges are BTW?

If someone gets a beating..............A draw and a return is not as viable....

That's my point..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 28 Apr 2015, 11:17 am

There will be no rematch

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue 28 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

Good article by Steve Bunce in today's Independent. Certainly puts Mayweather's claim to be TBE in its place.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/floyd-mayweather-vs-manny-pacquiao-ghosts-of-past-cast-a-massive-shadow-10208100.html

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 28 Apr 2015, 11:50 am

No thanks mate. I can't listen to Bunce and if I read it, I will only have his voice in my head.

No chance Mayweather is TBE. He is one of the best though.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next