The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live fight thread

+50
Strongback
Soldier_Of_Fortune
sittingringside
Happytravelling
88Chris05
Lance
Mayweathers cellmate
Scottrf
Rowley
Derbymanc
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Sugar Boy Sweetie
tunes666
Rodney
Mr Bounce
Duty281
Dipper Brown
Hammersmith harrier
wheelchair1991
Fernando
B.A. BARACUS
horizontalhero
ShahenshahG
3fingers
Guest82
RanjitPatel
Atila
Ent
AlexHuckerby
owen10ozzy
hogey
Valero's Conscience
catchweight
JabMachineMK2
compelling and rich
Coxy001
Haito
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
CaledonianCraig
Gentleman01
Brys
hampo17
Stella
BoxingFan88
Dolphin Ziggler
Silver
mobilemaster8
kingraf
milkyboy
54 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun May 03, 2015 4:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently there's a fight on tonight and JBW needs a thread to talk to himself on.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down


Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun May 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Yeah Mayweather outgrew and outlanded Manny by a considerable margin, people do realise Manny didn't eve. Connect a hundred punches right??

AlexHuckerby

Posts : 9201
Join date : 2011-03-31
Age : 32
Location : Leeds, England

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun May 03, 2015 2:30 pm

I hope its khan next. I've always liked khan stylistically against floyd, but figured he'd lose it between the ears. He's matured and floyd has aged... It would be interesting, and he's a Brit. Don't think floyd will take it, but I'd be more interested in it than any other likely opponent.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Dipper Brown Sun May 03, 2015 2:31 pm

The only thing that troubles me is when people laud Mayweather's defensive displays as master classes. No matter what happens, when Floyd wins everyone claims it's a clinic and if you don't appreciate it, you're a crude philistine who doesn't like boxing.

For me, anything you do in the ring is boxing and if you win clearly then you outbox your opponent. Floyd outboxed Manny last night because he won the majority of rounds (8-4 to me) but then somebody like GGG or Kovalev 'out boxes' their opponent when they go into seek and destroy mode.

Each boxer is entitled to box however they think will get them the win but please don't suggest there's some one size fits all model of boxing that everyone should subscribe to. It reminds me of Arsenal fans' sense of entitlement against Chelsea last week, getting their knickers in a twist when Chelsea didn't come to play Arsenal's 'pure football' game.

Dipper Brown

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2014-04-05

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm

People don't get it here.

Fine and yes of course Mayweather can win whatever way he chooses - fully understand that. My point is despite him going into record books as an all-time great (which he will) his fights won't live long in the memory for entertainment value like your Froch V Kessler or Duran V Leonard fights etc etc etc. As I said I'd rate his entertainment value low from the average spectator's viewpoint. That explains why he was the villain of the piece last night. He will go down as an all-time great for his silky skills and tactical brain but for entertainment value he ranks way down on the list for edge of your seat entertainment value.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 20601
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 55
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Happytravelling Sun May 03, 2015 2:33 pm

[/quote]He has been in the top 3 grossing fights of all time.

I do not understand what point you are trying to make. You are complaining about a boxer boxing his way to victory in a fight you haven't seen.[/quote]

If you don't understand that somebody saying their "all about the money" but so obviously are not maximising the earnings potential, then I am sure even if I draw you diagrams you'll be lost.

The lame "he has the top 3 grossing fights" makes me think you like the movie Titanic etc.

I've seen plenty of Floyd's fights and this fight unfolded as expected. If you look through my comments you'll see, like many, I believed it was going to go to points and be a dull fight.

As good as Floyd is, and there is no doubt he is very talented, if he is about "the money" he would be maximising his earnings potential. But, he doesn't. He messes the public and other fighters around and cherry picks fights to ensure he retains the "0".

Again, if he was about the money, given we all believe he'd beat Maidana and Khan, why did he fight Maidana when the paying public wanted him to fight Khan?

As good a boxer as he is, he is bad for boxing. From what I've read of the reviews, he easily handled Manny but didn't really extend himself. If you had paid $10,000 for a ticket, would you be happy with that?

Happytravelling

Posts : 889
Join date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun May 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I wrote an article back in 2011 Floyd will lose to Thurman this year. Trust me

AlexHuckerby

Posts : 9201
Join date : 2011-03-31
Age : 32
Location : Leeds, England

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by sittingringside Sun May 03, 2015 2:36 pm

One thing I do find slightly annoying is that whenever there is a round without a great deal of action, Mayweather seems to be awarded the round by default because being negative is 'his style'. That being said he clearly won the fight.

sittingringside

Posts : 475
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : Scotland/Cornwall

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by catchweight Sun May 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Mayweather outjabbed Pacquiao but spent most of the fight in reverse, pot shotting and jabbing and did a fair bit of holding. Pacquiao was clearly the aggressor of two, trying to orce the fight and was throwing the harder shots.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Ent Sun May 03, 2015 2:39 pm

He earned $150 million last night.

Pacman fights in the way you describe/desire and he has earned less in his career than floyd.

I'd say he's maximised his earning potential, if he wasn't doing big ppv numbers and selling out venues then you might have a point.

Ent

Posts : 7337
Join date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun May 03, 2015 2:41 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Yeah Mayweather outgrew and outlanded Manny by a considerable margin, people do realise Manny didn't eve. Connect a hundred punches right??

I love compubox. It sounds scientific until you see their hand written scribbles as they try and count punches thrown and landed. Was it landed clean?... Does a pawing jab count as a punch?  Long and the short of it is it was a low output fight... Which suits floyd and is a testament to floyd's ability to not let manny get set and into range. The number of clean head jarring shots  was low for both fighters.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I wrote an article back in 2011 Floyd will lose to Thurman this year. Trust me
we trust you wrote the article Alex

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by catchweight Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Yes. Compubox is often a red herring.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Coxy001 Sun May 03, 2015 2:44 pm

catchweight wrote:Mayweather outjabbed Pacquiao but spent most of the fight in reverse, pot shotting and jabbing and did a fair bit of holding. Pacquiao was clearly the aggressor of two, trying to orce the fight and was throwing the harder shots.

Mayweather outlanded him.... Manny was hitting fresh air and getting hit more than he was hitting.

Didn't Floyd also throw more punches?

Pacquiao lost and lost by a mile. Please accept that and he also got a boxing lesson. The fight was easy to score, didn't have many rounds that weren't clear-ish cut for either guy.

FMJ landed the harder shots. Threw more punches. Won the fight in second gear. Won easily. End of for me.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by catchweight Sun May 03, 2015 2:48 pm

Hah. Talk about being blind. You would think the Mayweather fans would be happy with the win. But no, it has to be a masterclass of aggressive action on top. Gotta love em. At least they aim high, I will give them that.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun May 03, 2015 2:49 pm

sittingringside wrote:One thing I do find slightly annoying is that whenever there is a round without a great deal of action, Mayweather seems to be awarded the round by default because being negative is 'his style'. That being said he clearly won the fight.

He's controlling the pace... Jim watt identified that 10 seconds into the fight, and like all recent commentaries the script was set irrespective of what happened. Floyd didn't get bounced around the ring in the first round so it must be a masterclass.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun May 03, 2015 2:51 pm

I had it 116-112 Mayweather. If anything it could be scored wider to Mayweather. I was surprised to see manny throw so few punches...

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4420
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun May 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Where has anybody said anything of the sort?

It was a brilliant defensive display that lacked any sort of aggression but it was a clear and easy win, were Pacquiao forcing the pace he would have thrown more but that was dictated by Mayweather.

We all get it though Catchweight, Pacquiao is a shell, Mayweather is boring and thus deserves no credit for the win.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by catchweight Sun May 03, 2015 2:56 pm

People are insinuating that because Mayweather landed more, he was more aggressive.

We all get it though HH, you are up Mayweathers backside and had Pacquiao been called Carl Froch and Mayweather George Groves you would have scored it 120-108 for Pacquiaos aggression.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun May 03, 2015 2:59 pm

I haven't seen a single person insinuate that at all.

I don't try and hide my bias towards Carl Froch in the slighest, he is my favourite current boxer and being a patriotic type I tend to be a bit blinded in that respect.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Strongback Sun May 03, 2015 2:59 pm

All that remains is what this does for Floyd's legacy.

I don't think Floyd cares too much. It almost looked like they were so focused on the money the fight was secondary. The build up didn't really set the world on fire either. Not that surprising given the sums of money involved.

Some will never get bored with the Manny v Floyd story but surely this lemon has been squeezed dry. Get ready for the rematch.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun May 03, 2015 3:12 pm

absolutely no need for a rematch. Not at all. It was a one sided super fight wasn't even close on any level. Rematch would have been the same. Had the fight happened 5 years ago it would have been the same. Styles make fights and Floyd is a nightmare for most.

mobilemaster8

Posts : 4302
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 37
Location : Stoke on Trent

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Strongback Sun May 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Sky are all over the "controversy" of Manny's injured shoulder.

A rematch with Manny is still bigger than any other fight out there for Floyd. Two past it fighters will have no problem reenacting the first fight even if the money isn't quite as good second time around.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by catchweight Sun May 03, 2015 3:36 pm

I cant see an immediate rematch. I dont think the appetite will be there. Pacquiao is past it and would need a big one and electric display to give weight to a rematch. At this stage of his career its hard to see it happening when he cant put away the likes of Algieri and Rios.

If he went and handed a beatdown to the winner of Cotto/Alvarez for the middleweight title and Mayweather was sitting on 49-0 then you could see it happening but Pacquiao is a faded force now and has been for a few years. I dont think hes convincing many that a rematch wouldnt just see him pot-shotted to another UD loss.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by owen10ozzy Sun May 03, 2015 3:40 pm

88Chris05 wrote:117-112 Mayweather on my card. Cannae believe some scored it to Manny, I have to say. There was the odd close round and the quality wasn't particularly great so I could see someone maybe having it a bit closer, maybe three rounds if you wanted to be ultra-kind to Pacquiao, but I didn't think it was close. Competitive, but not close.

Certainly not the masterclass Sky tried to force-feed us, mind you. By no means one of Floyd's greatest performances and I think we'd all be entitled to be a little disappointed with Manny's effort. He's not been the same guy who did so much to make this fight a mouth-watering prospect a few years ago for a while now and the fact that he couldn't raise his game at all really from his last few fights meant we were never going to get much of a spectacle.

Floyd's not the same guy either but credit to him, he's still superb. He controlled the range after settling down a bit (too much holding early on but it disappeared as the fight progressed), landed the cleaner shots and even when Manny connected he was just doing enough to take the steam off the punches.

Is he still the best and most formidable boxer in the world, or does he just retain that rank automatically until someone beats him? Either way, you've got to give him credit for last night. Nothing like the earth-shattering win it'd have been a few years back, but still a top entry on to his ledger. Pacquiao looked average but let's at least acknowledge that Floyd, as well as Father Time, had something to do with that as well.

118-110 was maybe ever so slightly harsh on Manny but not to the extent that anyone could really take umbrage with the card, for me. I think the fight was scored well.

Having gone back and watched the fight this morning, think this probably sums it for me. I said last night in the thread and on the commentary, that whilst I gave it to Pacman I had no problem with a Mayweather victory; the issue I had was that it was far from a masterclass or near shutout..which is what both SKY and a few others (as well as the one judge) were trying to force feed people. Yes not being hit is part of boxing, the biggest in fact...but actually being active & aggressive on the front foot and throwing punches is also a part of it too.

Mayweather forced the action in the 1st and to my surprise took the center of the ring, but he began to lose that control of the center from the 3rd onwards for a fair few rounds. He undoubtedly had the much better of the final straight (Rounds 9 onwards)...and scoring the fight a 2nd time, for me it's where he won the fight. He actually not only stopped Manny getting off his combinations, but by this point he was also firing off and landing plenty of his own. With a fresh head, and far less alcohol in the system today, I scored the fight 116-112 Floyd; so obviously my swing rounds from last night went the other way (I believe I did have it 115-113 Manny last night). A second viewing, away from the heat of the moment and the build up etc is always a good idea hence I have gone back and rewatched and scored it again.

It was far from a masterclass in my eyes and Manny didn't look anything like the Manny of old; but have to accept part of that was down to Floyd and not just father time, something which people have to remember also applies to Mayweather himself. He has just added the biggest win on his ledger, with no weight stips or silly caveats for people to shoot it down.

Most definitely an ATG, already was of course, but this notches him up the mythical list that little bit more. He will never go down as THE ATG; simply because he never quite adhered himself to the masses, which whilst some would argue shouldn't be important, consensus suggests it plays a part. Made a lot of money, most definitely the smartest fighter of all time, who managed his own career and did so to absolute perfection.

When he goes will miss his defensive mastery, the likes of which we may never see again...but as a sport on the whole I'm not sure how much I will miss him. Rarely provided 'value for money'...and could argue he never kicked the sport on in the manner he could have.

owen10ozzy

Posts : 4241
Join date : 2011-02-15
Age : 36
Location : London

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Lance Sun May 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Lets not be disappointed in Manny. Floyds opponents are always disappointing in their output, same as Wards and Bhops. Its hard to throw as much when you are made to miss and countered.

Sky were awful though. And I didnt like the way Mayweather has the round won until Manny takes it off him. Why shouldnt Floyd have to do enough to win a round?

Lance

Posts : 1712
Join date : 2011-10-29

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by hampo17 Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 pm

I mentioned before the fight how good it was that this had caught the attention of the casual fan, now after getting numerous texts, and seeing so many stupid posts on social media I have 100% changed my mind.

I've just seen someone say Manny was more interested in fighting, so I presented the punch stats which should really shoot down that argument but no, I was told I'd made the punch stats up despite me showing the picture from Compubox picard

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9108
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Fernando Sun May 03, 2015 4:15 pm

You should see some of the pictures on Twitter Laugh

The casual public want to see something like Hatton/Pacquiao just going out swinging til someone gets knocked out.

Floyd will never fight like that so not entirely sure what they were expecting considering i think last 6-7 fights been on pts.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Posts : 36458
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 32
Location : buckinghamshire

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by milkyboy Sun May 03, 2015 4:32 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:I mentioned before the fight how good it was that this had caught the attention of the casual fan, now after getting numerous texts, and seeing so many stupid posts on social media I have 100% changed my mind.

I've just seen someone say Manny was more interested in fighting, so I presented the punch stats which should really shoot down that argument but no, I was told I'd made the punch stats up despite me showing the picture from Compubox picard

Maybe you're too young to remember hatton fight week on the old 606 hampo. Most of us used to take a sabbatical until the blue moon morons had passed by.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by catchweight Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 pm

The punch stats are not reflection of who wanted to do the fighting. Pacquaio was quite clearly the aggressor in the fight and spent most of it chasing Mayweather around the ring try to pin him down.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Not watched it but still found myself eager to get up and find out what happened. My younger brother went to the sheesha bar and spent 60 for the privileg And is currently passed out on the sofa. Not going to bother with the scores but it does sound like Mayweather did what he was expected to do and went a bit further in eliminating all risk entirely. Manny going down the alvarez route. Let's try to outbox a better boxer than me and boxing ppv let everyone down again. All in all a typical may weekend

That pretty much sums it up IMO Shah and why I'm not a huge Mayweather fan and a little disappointed in Manny's performance. First time ever, I think, I agree with Hammersmith, 118 - 110, rounds 4 & 6 for Manny and I was rooting for Manny! Defo expected more from Mayweather and defo no interest in a rematch.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 5:02 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
AdamT wrote:Floyd threw more punches and landed way more. Pac had his moments but no way he won that.

9-3 for me. Both past it but Floyd still the best on the planet and an atg

I agree with your first point but sorry I (personally) don't see Mayweather as an all-time great. My ideal fighter is one that comes to box toe-to-toe and entertain. Mayweather doesn't do that. He fights the fight (much like pre-fight negotiations) on his terms alone and employs tactics that keep him away from a real scrap. Great skills no doubt about it but my all-time greats are ones not afraid to go to war such as your Haglers, Hearns, Duran, Sugar 'Ray' Leonard's of this world.

You could argue Floyd is that good he doesn't have to go to war. Why should he risk taking more damage than he has to just to make a few fans happy?

Floyd will certainly go down as an ATG, just beaten his biggest rival and in most eyes with some to spare.

Yes point taken however boxing is in the entertainment business and rate Mayweather's entertainment value out of 10 and you'd give his fights an average of maybe 6. Other fighters may not be good enough to avoid a war but their entertainment value probably range from 7 through to 9 for the all-time greats. Just how I see it. If you like watching Mayweather then kudos to you but many don't.


It's not an entertainment business at all. It's a business all about results and money, the boxers won't care if they entertain same as footballers won't as long as they win.

If you want sports entertainment I'd suggest watching WWE.

Okay lets put it another way. When I pay $7000 a seat (cheapest) I'd want much more than that for my money. Also when I watch a sporting event I want to be entertained and for me Mayweather doesn't do it. His brand of boxing is not my or others cup of tea but is yours. Enjoy it as I bet those that shelled out thousands of dollars for a seat or me who shelled out £20 on Sky Box Office will feel they never got value for money.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 5:14 pm

sohotnot wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
AdamT wrote:Floyd threw more punches and landed way more. Pac had his moments but no way he won that.

9-3 for me. Both past it but Floyd still the best on the planet and an atg

I agree with your first point but sorry I (personally) don't see Mayweather as an all-time great. My ideal fighter is one that comes to box toe-to-toe and entertain. Mayweather doesn't do that. He fights the fight (much like pre-fight negotiations) on his terms alone and employs tactics that keep him away from a real scrap. Great skills no doubt about it but my all-time greats are ones not afraid to go to war such as your Haglers, Hearns, Duran, Sugar 'Ray' Leonard's of this world.

You could argue Floyd is that good he doesn't have to go to war. Why should he risk taking more damage than he has to just to make a few fans happy?

Floyd will certainly go down as an ATG, just beaten his biggest rival and in most eyes with some to spare.

Yes point taken however boxing is in the entertainment business and rate Mayweather's entertainment value out of 10 and you'd give his fights an average of maybe 6. Other fighters may not be good enough to avoid a war but their entertainment value probably range from 7 through to 9 for the all-time greats. Just how I see it. If you like watching Mayweather then kudos to you but many don't.


It's not an entertainment business at all. It's a business all about results and money, the boxers won't care if they entertain same as footballers won't as long as they win.

If you want sports entertainment I'd suggest watching WWE.

Okay lets put it another way.. When I pay $7000 a seat (cheapest) I'd want much more than that for my money Also when I watch a sporting event I want to be entertained and for me Mayweather doesn't do it. His brand of boxing is not my or others cup of tea but is yours. Enjoy it as I bet those that shelled out thousands of dollars for a seat or me who shelled out £20 on Sky Box Office will feel they never got value for money.

 A large percentage of those that paid $7000 -$35000 to be there did so for that reason as opposed to watching a night of entertaining blood & guts boxing, its what the rich & celebs do.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 03, 2015 5:47 pm

sohotnot wrote:
sohotnot wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
AdamT wrote:Floyd threw more punches and landed way more. Pac had his moments but no way he won that.

9-3 for me. Both past it but Floyd still the best on the planet and an atg

I agree with your first point but sorry I (personally) don't see Mayweather as an all-time great. My ideal fighter is one that comes to box toe-to-toe and entertain. Mayweather doesn't do that. He fights the fight (much like pre-fight negotiations) on his terms alone and employs tactics that keep him away from a real scrap. Great skills no doubt about it but my all-time greats are ones not afraid to go to war such as your Haglers, Hearns, Duran, Sugar 'Ray' Leonard's of this world.

You could argue Floyd is that good he doesn't have to go to war. Why should he risk taking more damage than he has to just to make a few fans happy?

Floyd will certainly go down as an ATG, just beaten his biggest rival and in most eyes with some to spare.

Yes point taken however boxing is in the entertainment business and rate Mayweather's entertainment value out of 10 and you'd give his fights an average of maybe 6. Other fighters may not be good enough to avoid a war but their entertainment value probably range from 7 through to 9 for the all-time greats. Just how I see it. If you like watching Mayweather then kudos to you but many don't.


It's not an entertainment business at all. It's a business all about results and money, the boxers won't care if they entertain same as footballers won't as long as they win.

If you want sports entertainment I'd suggest watching WWE.

Okay lets put it another way.. When I pay $7000 a seat (cheapest) I'd want much more than that for my money Also when I watch a sporting event I want to be entertained and for me Mayweather doesn't do it. His brand of boxing is not my or others cup of tea but is yours. Enjoy it as I bet those that shelled out thousands of dollars for a seat or me who shelled out £20 on Sky Box Office will feel they never got value for money.

 A large percentage of those that paid $7000 -$35000 to be there did so for that reason as opposed to watching a night of entertaining blood & guts boxing, its what the rich & celebs do.

And the excuse for the millions that paid to watch it on pay-per-view?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 20601
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 55
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by hampo17 Sun May 03, 2015 5:58 pm

So all the boxers who've fought entertaining styles, who've attacked and have taken punishment and now can't string a sentence together, struggle with numerous health issues, do you spare them a thought because they entertained the fans?


hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9108
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 6:09 pm

Whose making excuses? My advice, although now a little to late, don't watch mayweather if you want exciting, toe to toe, blood & guts style boxing! He's rarely been exciting above LW. I don't think for a second anybody truly expected him to change his style and throw caution to the wind for this fight.

With regard to one of your earlier points, an ATG & your ideal fighter are two different things, being exciting & being an ATG are also two different things, you can be exciting & lose countless times, however the same cannot be said to be considered an ATG. I'd watch all of the aforementioned 4 ATG's over Mayweather any day of the week & twice on a Sunday.But I consider it harsh not to consider Mayweather as a great of the last 20 years.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by 88Chris05 Sun May 03, 2015 6:10 pm

ESPN'S Skip Bayless will be giving Mr McIlvanney a run for his money on this form. A joke even by his own standards. A few tweets from Skip immediately after the final bell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mayweather doing a great job of ACTING like he won. BUT WHAT DID HE REALLY DO THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE? MANNY UNMARKED!!!!"

"I have it 115-113 PACQUIAO. But of course, this is his home ring, hometown, home state. Announcers biased."

"I don't want to hear stats. Eyes tell me that Pacq won 7 rounds to Mayweather's 5. Mayweather trying to TALK his way to victory."

"Home cooking."

"Judges duped by style over substance."

"I agree with Pacquiao! "He didn't do nothing." Thinks he won the fight. HE DID!"

"Pacquiao just went 12 rounds with Mr. 48-0 and looks like he's ready to go for a jog."

"All these media ppl saying 'clear win' picked Mayweather to win. Tricked by Mayweather's theatrics. All smoke and mirrors."

"I started covering boxing w/ Ali-Spinks II. I was always taught that aggressors win fights. Pacquiao was CLEARLY more aggressive."

"Floyd Mayweather Jr is the best defensive fighter ever. But he just got away with a whole lot of fancy run-run-running."

"You many Manny fans out there. Do not allow yourself to be brainwashed. Your man is clearly classy & honest. Truly believes he won. He should have."

"Floyd didn't do nuthin'. Sums it up. See you Monday."

"What's funny is, even Floyd's FATHER was yelling at him between rounds because he feared Jr. was losing."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In twenty-odd years fans will be linking articles by this 'expert' and telling everyone that the scorecards were an injustice, because Manny actually handed out a quiet beating which only the really intelligent and perceptive amongst us can see and appreciate. Mark my words!
88Chris05
88Chris05
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9640
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 35
Location : Nottingham

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:So all the boxers who've fought entertaining styles, who've attacked and have taken punishment and now can't string a sentence together, struggle with numerous health issues, do you spare them a thought because they entertained the fans?


Look you have your favourite types of boxers and I have mines and nothing will change that. It is the same in any sports - you have a varying type of players/teams that employ their own tactics. I find Mayweather's akin to those football teams that play an away fixture and aim for a 0-0 shut out. They are doing what it takes to get a result in the tie which is understandable but as for making for an entertaining brand it fails big time. You say boxing isn't about entertainment? For the boxers - no it isn't. However, for the spectators of course it is otherwise why bother with the fight and just run the boxers stats through a computer and let the computer decide who wins the bouts. So it is about entertainment for those that pay the boxer's wages.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 20601
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 55
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Nico the gman Sun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Wanted Manny to win, but no arguments at all, thought Mayweather won comfortably, I personally thought the right hands Mayweather was catching Pacquiao with were unsettling him.

I honestly can't believe how anyone can think Manny won that fight, he was outboxed, Mayweather was moving out of range time and time again while catching Pacquiao with solid jabs and right hands, comfortable nights work for Mayweather.

I was disappointed with the fight,boring and failed to catch fire, and to be honest with Manny's performance, I expected more from him.

Nico the gman

Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-09-21
Location : middlesbrough

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun May 03, 2015 6:14 pm

88Chris05 wrote:ESPN'S Skip Bayless will be giving Mr McIlvanney a run for his money on this form. A joke even by his own standards. A few tweets from Skip immediately after the final bell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mayweather doing a great job of ACTING like he won. BUT WHAT DID HE REALLY DO THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE? MANNY UNMARKED!!!!"

"I have it 115-113 PACQUIAO. But of course, this is his home ring, hometown, home state. Announcers biased."

"I don't want to hear stats. Eyes tell me that Pacq won 7 rounds to Mayweather's 5. Mayweather trying to TALK his way to victory."

"Home cooking."

"Judges duped by style over substance."

"I agree with Pacquiao! "He didn't do nothing." Thinks he won the fight. HE DID!"

"Pacquiao just went 12 rounds with Mr. 48-0 and looks like he's ready to go for a jog."

"All these media ppl saying 'clear win' picked Mayweather to win. Tricked by Mayweather's theatrics. All smoke and mirrors."

"I started covering boxing w/ Ali-Spinks II. I was always taught that aggressors win fights. Pacquiao was CLEARLY more aggressive."

"Floyd Mayweather Jr is the best defensive fighter ever. But he just got away with a whole lot of fancy run-run-running."

"You many Manny fans out there. Do not allow yourself to be brainwashed. Your man is clearly classy & honest. Truly believes he won. He should have."

"Floyd didn't do nuthin'. Sums it up. See you Monday."

"What's funny is, even Floyd's FATHER was yelling at him between rounds because he feared Jr. was losing."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In twenty-odd years fans will be linking articles by this 'expert' and telling everyone that the scorecards were an injustice, because Manny actually handed out a quiet beating which only the really intelligent and perceptive amongst us can see and appreciate. Mark my words!

Absolutely pitiful..............I agree..

No doubt Haz has it framed on his wall.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by hampo17 Sun May 03, 2015 6:14 pm

D4 already has it saved to every electronic device Chris.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9108
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun May 03, 2015 6:17 pm

all aggressors win fights......

Ali lost at least 15 times then.........

Absolute t*t...

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun May 03, 2015 6:18 pm

You mean a single fan will be posting articles by that boxing expert in 20 years time.

On another note having the happiest person last night must have been Nicholas Walters, Lomachenko has absolutely no power and Santa Cruz just ain't all that, he'll want either one of them as soon as possible. Lomachenko has all the skills but admires his work too much and he still has too many amateur traits against a big strong Featherweight, have a feeling he'll always look great against boxers but struggle against the more rugged types. As for Santa Cruz now his size advantage is going out the window he doesn't have much to fall back on, he has volume but it tends be fairly low quality.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 6:19 pm

I've only recently come across this joker Skip Bayliss and I just can't watch him. He's so anti Mayweather he makes D4 seem like a Mayweather fan. Had Mayweather demolished Manny ala Hagler/Hearns or Hearns/Duran he'd still be talking rubbish and trying to rubbish Mayweather's performance. Pathetic.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by hampo17 Sun May 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Just read that D4 refuses to acknowledge Floyd is better until he becomes an 8 weight world champ Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9108
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun May 03, 2015 6:22 pm

In fairness Manny is number 2 behind Robbo in his lists..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun May 03, 2015 7:13 pm

I was watching wig casuals which has the benefit of their side on observations. I think my favourite was, "I don't think his mum hugged him enough as a child# in response to Mayweather's holding. Along with that, apparently round 12 is the boss level, and one of them was meant to literally turn into a dragon.

It did annoy me that when neither of them did anything it was perceived to be a mayweather victory. The victor in a round is whoever ie most effective. They both land one or two shots out of maybe 10 thrown and it's somehow a Mayweather masterclass. I understand a low workrate favours Floyd, but that's due to him generally having better accuracy from fewer punches. When both of them were generally off target it was always to Mayweather's credit. Wish I'd listened with v2 commentary!

Mayweather won it 116/113 for me with one round even. I put a question mark next to one of my Mayweather rounds and one of my Manny rounds. Mayweather won a close but clear boobie for tat fight in my eyes. Showed who the better boxer was in the closing stages. Dull but effective and fair, I give him credit.

Pacquiao generally didn't have the spark of instinct/reflex/athleticism to make it count, but what annoyed me was when he had Mayweather on the ropes he gave him way too much room. The body was open, he shoulda nailed it relentlessly until Mayweather made him stop. Instead he backed away and let Floyd escape. Presumably this was so Floyd would give an opening, but Pacquiao always backed off a couple of steps too many and killed his own chance. Part of the skillset I suppose, the intelligence to realise what you need to do and do it. Mayweather has it more than Pacquiao.

John Bloody Wayne

Posts : 4460
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : behind you

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 pm

When I say watched it with casuals, I mean I dressed up my manikins and controlled their mouths with a pulpy system.


Wonder how many "boxing fans" in the audience watched/have heard of Matthysse/Provodnikov.

John Bloody Wayne

Posts : 4460
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : behind you

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun May 03, 2015 7:16 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I was watching wig casuals which has the benefit of their side on observations. I think my favourite was, "I don't think his mum hugged him enough as a child# in response to Mayweather's holding. Along with that, apparently round 12 is the boss level, and one of them was meant to literally turn into a dragon.

It did annoy me that when neither of them did anything it was perceived to be a mayweather victory. The victor in a round is whoever ie most effective. They both land one or two shots out of maybe 10 thrown and it's somehow a Mayweather masterclass. I understand a low workrate favours Floyd, but that's due to him generally having better accuracy from fewer punches. When both of them were generally off target it was always to Mayweather's credit. Wish I'd listened with v2 commentary!

Mayweather won it 116/113 for me with one round even. I put a question mark next to one of my Mayweather rounds and one of my Manny rounds. Mayweather won a close but clear boobie for tat fight in my eyes. Showed who the better boxer was in the closing stages. Dull but effective and fair, I give him credit.

Pacquiao generally didn't have the spark of instinct/reflex/athleticism to make it count, but what annoyed me was when he had Mayweather on the ropes he gave him way too much room. The body was open, he shoulda nailed it relentlessly until Mayweather made him stop. Instead he backed away and let Floyd escape. Presumably this was so Floyd would give an opening, but Pacquiao always backed off a couple of steps too many and killed his own chance. Part of the skillset I suppose, the intelligence to realise what you need to do and do it. Mayweather has it more than Pacquiao.

At last someone talking sense!!!!

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 pm

88Chris05 wrote:ESPN'S Skip Bayless will be giving Mr McIlvanney a run for his money on this form. A joke even by his own standards. A few tweets from Skip immediately after the final bell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mayweather doing a great job of ACTING like he won. BUT WHAT DID HE REALLY DO THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE? MANNY UNMARKED!!!!"

"I have it 115-113 PACQUIAO. But of course, this is his home ring, hometown, home state. Announcers biased."

"I don't want to hear stats. Eyes tell me that Pacq won 7 rounds to Mayweather's 5. Mayweather trying to TALK his way to victory."

"Home cooking."

"Judges duped by style over substance."

"I agree with Pacquiao! "He didn't do nothing." Thinks he won the fight. HE DID!"

"Pacquiao just went 12 rounds with Mr. 48-0 and looks like he's ready to go for a jog."

"All these media ppl saying 'clear win' picked Mayweather to win. Tricked by Mayweather's theatrics. All smoke and mirrors."

"I started covering boxing w/ Ali-Spinks II. I was always taught that aggressors win fights. Pacquiao was CLEARLY more aggressive."

"Floyd Mayweather Jr is the best defensive fighter ever. But he just got away with a whole lot of fancy run-run-running."

"You many Manny fans out there. Do not allow yourself to be brainwashed. Your man is clearly classy & honest. Truly believes he won. He should have."

"Floyd didn't do nuthin'. Sums it up. See you Monday."

"What's funny is, even Floyd's FATHER was yelling at him between rounds because he feared Jr. was losing."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In twenty-odd years fans will be linking articles by this 'expert' and telling everyone that the scorecards were an injustice, because Manny actually handed out a quiet beating which only the really intelligent and perceptive amongst us can see and appreciate. Mark my words!

Can't wait to hear Steven A Smith and Skip with the post fight comments, let the fireworks fly!

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun May 03, 2015 7:20 pm

The maniac applies for vacancy as asylum supervisor.

John Bloody Wayne

Posts : 4460
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : behind you

Back to top Go down

Live fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Live fight thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum