The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How well do you need to get to know wrestlers?

4 posters

Go down

How well do you need to get to know wrestlers? Empty How well do you need to get to know wrestlers?

Post by Prometheus Thu 07 May 2015, 12:09 pm

A question that Adam asked me yesterday, the Billy Corgan interview and WWE: Behind the Curtain, all got me wondering about this. I'm not sure my thoughts are clear, but I'll try to explain.

On one hand, we have Lucha Underground. And I know no-one watches this, but try to stay with me. This is a totally scripted show and in keeping with the Lucha code we are not supposed to even know the real names of wrestlers behind the masks. So that is 100% character driven, and the ways that characters behave is 100% that of the creative team (which I realise wrestlers may have an input to).

Then we have WWE, which is operating in a reality era. So, an example might be Roman Reigns. For me (and I'm sure others) he started to become a person I warmed more to in the Raw following the Rumble when he had a sit down (largely unscripted interview) and we got to know his motivations as a person. On NXT, Kevin Owens is a heel, but we understand his motivations, beating up his old friend Zayn is not personal, its just because if he is champ he gets more money and that looks after his family. Also, on NXT we recently had 10 minutes following Itami's road to Mania, which showed him off-stage with his family and really highlighted how much it meant to him to be part of the Battle Royal pre-show at Mania. And finally we go to Total Divas (which I don't watch) and the recent Behind the Curtain
for those who want to watch completely unspoiled:

In the Billy Corgan interview, he (as I interpret it) is asking himself as a head of creative a really interesting question. His assertion is that no-one is using social media fully yet, and he wants to push that. But he's asking should wrestlers have a separate gimmick Twitter account for example, or is it okay for a heel to post pictures of them with their dog, so like an actor can the viewer separate the person and the character?

And I'm still lost in thought about this. Because right now, I see both avenues working. So, I see the fully scripted approach of LU working where I think what I'm led to think about the characters through how they are portrayed and their in-ring work. And I get the lifting the curtain approach too. Where I know the background to a person and get behind them. I'm sure there are many examples of this, but long time WWE viewers will remember a biopic that WWE did on Mick Foley when they wanted him to get over as a face over a couple of Raws with JR really selling his story. I don't think I can take all wrestling becoming a personal journey and an emotional story, I still want wrestling. But in creating babyfaces, I really think that insight to the real person can help the viewer engage with the character. I'm less sure if that works for heels, and I don't know how I could ever boo Adam Rose now either.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble. I hope that made a bit of sense, I just wondered what others thought about this.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

How well do you need to get to know wrestlers? Empty Re: How well do you need to get to know wrestlers?

Post by Adam D Thu 07 May 2015, 1:59 pm

I think it depends on the wrestler to be honest. If you are a character based character (ie Undertaker, Kane, Abyss etc) then it should be totally in character. I dont want to here about the Undertaker at a ball game with Michelle McCool.

But if you play a heightened version of yourself, I dont see a problem with real life posts.

I know that blurs the line to your question but I think that a wrestlers account should be owned by the wrestling organisation, otherwise you get another Brooke Hogan episode

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

How well do you need to get to know wrestlers? Empty Re: How well do you need to get to know wrestlers?

Post by Prometheus Thu 07 May 2015, 2:44 pm

I agree Adam. In the lead up to Mania, little if anything was seen of Undertaker. So, Michelle McCool putting out pictures of Taker working out and looking in great shape coming up to the event was about all there was of him. So, you know I don't think its that you can't have an account for Abyss, or any of these characters, but like you say their social media has to be in character with them.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 07 May 2015, 5:34 pm

I think Kayfabe is dead these days, so I dont mind things like this. I think its so dead that I wouldnt mind seeing videos about guys like Undertaker and Bray Wyatt. Everyone understands that these are just characters so I think seeing backstage and personal life videos wouldnt damage the presentation at all - just like the movies.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 07 May 2015, 7:40 pm

I enjoyed the E:60 doc. Very interesting. Obviously WWE is a well managed media outlet so nothing bad was going out; this is Beyond the Mat. But there were snippets that were very interesting, including the open room discussion where the likes of Hayes, Cole, JR, Dusty plus a host of others were discussing NXT stars with HHH.

Its funny that they thought the problem with Leo Kruger was that he was too nice a bloke basically and the fans were connecting with the nice part of his character. Yet he gets onto the main roster and really people didn't want him as a nice guy. He actually makes sense as Adam Rose as a heel more than a face.

Since then hes been tweeting about whether people preferred Rose or Kruger, seemingly with Kruger the more popular response.

What his place in the documentary, being the main focus with his family life a huge aspect of it, you can't see him being released.

Equally, Bill DeMott was quite interesting to listen to, shame hes such a knob cos he obviously has a lot to offer otherwise.

I also liked how much of Mercury you see working backstage and that Heyman was in initial talent meetings that he clearly didnt need to be in.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 25 Jun 2015, 2:09 pm

Did anyone see the Fergal Devitt pieces.

This is kind of what I mean. Lift the veil and let us get to know these guys, build some kind of bond with them and I think we'll be just a bit more invested in what they do in the ring.

Just go through that Raw roster and tell me how many motivations you understand of wrestlers. I get Kevin Owens', Cena's and Brock's. There are probably a couple more I should get if I cared more (like Wyatt and Ryback). But after that I kind of just feel like it is a parade of mid-carders trading wins. Which I understand is a gross simplification of the product, and doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it. But I think I could be relatively easily much more invested in much more of the roster, which would mean their wins, losses and matches meant more to me than they do.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 25 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

I think the Balor bits have been excellent. Its the kind of thing they should be doing more of in NXT. With Zayn out he's the No1 Babyface so its an awesome way to get the crowd more engaged in him. I cant wait to see him vs Owens in Japan. The reception he gets will be insane.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down