The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clive Woodward for France ?

+13
beshocked
hugehandoff
Rugby Fan
TightHEAD
Gwlad
Notch
SecretFly
Big
funnyExiledScot
whocares
offload
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
17 posters

Go down

Clive Woodward for France ? Empty Clive Woodward for France ?

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 May 2015, 11:50 am

Well it looks as though he is going to throw his hat into the ring, what do people think about this ? Could he be the man to finally put this nation of big spenders right ? Oh well, it is not as if the man is lacking in confidence.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32777468

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,3551_49907,00.html

What do you make of this ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Clive Woodward for France ? Empty Re: Clive Woodward for France ?

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 May 2015, 11:53 am

The process was they selected an 8 man short list, then invited them to interview. It was not application process, so no "hat thrown into the ring".

However would not be a good choice if FFR went down this route, however he is only one of eight to be interviewed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 18 May 2015, 12:22 pm

Woodward was successful with England because he called all the shots and put a huge infrastructure around him (not to mention an exceptional group of players).

I think he might find the French clubs a little less accommodating? Would be a big call for France, and Woodward's a bit out of practice. He'll probably have to pop down to TK Maxx for a new tracksuit.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 May 2015, 12:30 pm

I suspect he has graduated to this now:

Woodwards tracksuit

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 18 May 2015, 1:14 pm

woodward had 6 years to build the succesfull England team that won the rwc. He did try different recipes before opting for the JW route (even playing expansive rugby at times). He has to be credited for maximising england potential.
Of all the high level foreign coaches he's the one that has been the most critic of France when both him and laporte were having some digs at each others. So it would be ironic to see him applying for France coach! After Mad Marc and Dumbo PSA, the FFR certainly knows how to entertain us. Shame they aint in the comedy business...
I say bring the excentric englisman here. Going to be fun for sure although he's probably arounf 3rd in the pecking order to be fair.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 May 2015, 1:33 pm

I do think Woodward's achievements are often underestimated - he is an arrogant and self-important man which makes him hard to like, but he is a visionary and bold coach/manager who could do a lot for French rugby.

The issues identified above re: the structure and set-up of French rugby would and should count against him. Saint-Andre, a French legend, has been unable to stop the clubs ruling the roost and I do question whether Woodward would have any ability to change that. Without any time with the players, or control over them outside the international window, I'm not sure Woodward would be effective, let alone whether he'd take the job.

I think they'll end up with Noves. A safe choice.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 18 May 2015, 2:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I do think Woodward's achievements are often underestimated - he is an arrogant and self-important man which makes him hard to like, but he is a visionary and bold coach/manager who could do a lot for French rugby.

The issues identified above re: the structure and set-up of French rugby would and should count against him. Saint-Andre, a French legend, has been unable to stop the clubs ruling the roost and I do question whether Woodward would have any ability to change that. Without any time with the players, or control over them outside the international window, I'm not sure Woodward would be effective, let alone whether he'd take the job.

I think they'll end up with Noves. A safe choice.

Spot on really. Don't really like Woodward, but I think he deserves more credit than many are willing to give him for England's period of success. It will probably take someone with an ego like his to take on the French clubs but in addition to the will he need to have some form of leverage to get what he wants, and I'm struggling to see where that will come from. Given he walked from the RFU for not getting what he needed (quite rightly) it's hard to see why he'd go for the French job that is probably every bit as rough as the England one was in 2004.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 May 2015, 2:53 pm

Would the French players though have the patience to listen to his Theories (in English) on why micro management principles will always out manoeuvre crass passion instincts by a factor of 4:1 if everyone recognises one true leader as principle overlord of mental acuity dynamic margins in reasoned 4th dimensional time-shift dialectical sub-forms of spatial directive index partitioning sectors of resolution matrices?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 May 2015, 2:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I do think Woodward's achievements are often underestimated .

Not by him! Wink

But then I wouldn't isolate him. Geech kinda likes repeating the times that he..................................................... and so forth and so forth.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 18 May 2015, 7:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I do think Woodward's achievements are often underestimated - he is an arrogant and self-important man which makes him hard to like, but he is a visionary and bold coach/manager who could do a lot for French rugby.

I agree that he was a visionary in his time, but time moves on. A lot of the innovations he made when he was coach of England are now, basically, normal, widespread and even expected at test level amongst all the top tier countries. So does he have the vision to return to the game with new insights that will be as important and once again put him one step ahead of his peers? It seems like a big ask.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 18 May 2015, 11:52 pm

Vive la France et Vive Sir Clive!! Can see it now, him lauding himself down a red rose strewn Champs Elysees in an open top Ford Sierra (Cosworth) waving to la republique and muttering penser correctement sous pression!

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 May 2015, 1:57 pm

Maybe the success being enjoyed by Southampton FC is party down to SCW too?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 19 May 2015, 2:09 pm

Notch wrote:

I agree that he was a visionary in his time, but time moves on. A lot of the innovations he made when he was coach of England are now, basically, normal, widespread and even expected at test level amongst all the top tier countries. So does he have the vision to return to the game with new insights that will be as important and once again put him one step ahead of his peers? It seems like a big ask.

not so sure about that. a guy like simon mannix who introduced proper training schemes with GPS etc in Pau is viewed as a sort of genius down here... so yes maybe SCW has still a few tricks in his box that are unknown to us.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 19 May 2015, 3:24 pm

Some reports are suggesting Woodward put himself forward, rather than was approached.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 May 2015, 3:46 pm

Why doesn't Woodward try his magic at Cricket Admin? Or maybe he already did.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 19 May 2015, 4:52 pm

I think Guy Noves is the outstanding candidate. Vastly experienced and French! Plus Toulouse play in a traditional but decent French style i.e. good forwards combining with flair in the backs.

Sir Clive is a visionary and I am sure he would manage an excellent process for France. Whilst he has been out of the game I am sure he has remained firmly in touch. Both options will surely be a huge advance on PSA.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 19 May 2015, 5:22 pm

agree whocares I sincerely doubt France would pick Clive but if so I am sure it would be entertaining. There aren't many coaches in rugby union with a bigger ego than Clive.

Would want to see Clive to see what he could do, expect Noves as already mentioned by others.

For Clive to work for France he would need to basically be allowed to do what he wants. I doubt he would get that amount of freedom.

Also another thing with Clive you would need is patience.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 19 May 2015, 5:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:Why doesn't Woodward try his magic at Cricket Admin?  Or maybe he already did.

Pat Howard beat him to the job as boss of Cricket Australia

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Tue 19 May 2015, 7:40 pm

hugehandoff wrote:I think Guy Noves is the outstanding candidate. Vastly experienced and French! Plus Toulouse play in a traditional but decent French style i.e. good forwards combining with flair in the backs.

Sir Clive is a visionary and I am sure he would manage an excellent process for France. Whilst he has been out of the game I am sure he has remained firmly in touch. Both options will surely be a huge advance on PSA.

Guy Noves is now the shadow of what he used to be. And it's at least 5 years now that Toulouse lost its flair.
In my opinion he will be a big flop. I think we should take a foreigner coach, but I can't see it happening with the old f..ts we have in our Union.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 May 2015, 7:50 pm

It's always 'Old Pharts' in Unions Laugh

I must get the time to do some research on that one sometime soon to work out just where the Old Pharts are throughout Union and the Club game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue 19 May 2015, 9:41 pm

Clive and France deserve each other - if only for the comedy value. He could take Jonno.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 20 May 2015, 3:08 pm

Looks like Jake "the vulture" White is in the shortlist as well!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 20 May 2015, 4:12 pm

To be honest I think France would be better going for another Englishman other than Clive!

Shaun Edwards,Paul Gustard, Alex King, Jim Mallinder - all Englishmen who I think could work well for France IMO.

Not necessarily as head coach but Alex King as attack coach - of course he's known from his work at Clermont, Edwards or Gustard would toughen them up in forwards or defence. Mallinder could be head coach

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 20 May 2015, 4:15 pm

When did Woodward last manage any team successfully….he delved into the Premiership i believe but why he thought he could transfer from rugged to footie god only knows. A stint with the Olympics is all he has on his resume since 2003 i think, and being a hack.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 20 May 2015, 5:27 pm

Joe Worsley as defense coach has quite an impact at UBB as well

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 20 May 2015, 7:49 pm

beshocked wrote:To be honest I think France would be better going for another Englishman other than Clive!

Shaun Edwards,Paul Gustard, Alex King, Jim Mallinder - all Englishmen who I think could work well for France IMO.

Not necessarily as head coach but Alex King as attack coach - of course he's known from his work at Clermont, Edwards or Gustard would toughen them up in forwards or defence. Mallinder could be head coach

Beshoked, you are just running scared about this weekend, rumour spreader, hoping Saints players read your totally unsubstantiated propaganda. Both King and Mallinder are staying put, at least until ENGLAND come knocking after the RWC.

Let the French fester in the turgid pool of their own making, leave the Saints management alone unless they are called by their own country.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 21 May 2015, 9:03 am

Not at all. I just rate those coaches. Not running scared. I think the Sarries coaches are good too hence why I named Gustard.

Personally I want to see a strong France - just makes things more interesting.

The French rugby supporters IMO deserve to have a coach/coaches who don't make bizarre selections and weird decisions.

England happen to have quite a few competent coaches - some who should probably be coaching England instead of Mike Catt and Farrell sr!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 May 2015, 9:42 am

So give 'em Mike Catt and Farrell sr.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 21 May 2015, 9:44 am

Main criticisms levelled at Catt was around our attacking play not being great. Some improvement in the last 12 though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 May 2015, 10:06 am

Is Catt being coached by Mike Ford now? Wink 'Chaos Theory' seems to be the new approach with England.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 21 May 2015, 10:21 am

Great fun to watch though Fly.

Not sure Woodward is the right dort of person to make France great again and I certainly wouldn't want to see him succeed. I'd still love to see the same rules apply to coaches and managers that are for the players too.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 May 2015, 10:28 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Great fun to watch though Fly.

No, I'm not making fun of it, 7&1/2.  That was Mike's own expressed view of it....a kind of chaos theory at work.  England play it that way.  Eternal motion and pace and see what happens - opposition tiring rapidly is probably the first guarantee and then whatever else happens is a bonus.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 21 May 2015, 10:30 am

Not being snide with you either Fly, honestly just a good watch! Can't remember a time when we've come so close to winning a title failed and I haven't been disappointed.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 May 2015, 10:40 am

A dollop of English Chaos Theory...a good dollop actually...and a few big spoonfuls of Irish grim reaper attritional defence....ahhh.............. that would be my ideal.............

Damn them Irish lazy lads! More chaos please.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down