The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed.

+4
HammerofThunor
LordDowlais
George Carlin
blackcanelion
8 posters

Go down

Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed. Empty Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed.

Post by blackcanelion Wed 20 May 2015, 12:13 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/68691840/crusaders-confirm-superdome-match-against-english-club-saracens

Interesting it's at a big venue. Biggest issue for me is that it will probably fail to live up to expectations.

Can't comment a lot on Saracens, but I'm assuming they'll lose a few players to world cup preps. The game is in August. They'll obviously be without the likes of Farrell etc. Looking at the last game, I'd only expect a handful of players to be available.

The Crusaders should pretty much be the Canterbury ITM cup side (i.e. the Crusaders minus the All Blacks). It's pretty much a development side.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed. Empty Re: Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed.

Post by Guest Wed 20 May 2015, 12:47 am

I think it's a great idea. Hopefully they can fill the stadium or it might have the opposite effect of that intended.
I know it's missing all the big players, but I would think most of those watching in the USA wouldn't really be aware of that.

Back to top Go down

Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed. Empty Re: Hemisphere cup Crusaders v Saracens confirmed.

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 May 2015, 7:36 am

Excellent idea and what a great chance for the younger Sarries players to put themselves in the shop window.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 20 May 2015, 12:45 pm

Shouldn't this cup be between the European champs and the Super 14 champs ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 20 May 2015, 12:46 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Shouldn't this cup be between the European champs and the Super 14 champs ?

Why?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 20 May 2015, 12:49 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Shouldn't this cup be between the European champs and the Super 14 champs ?

Why?

Because they are the champs of the two hemispheres.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 20 May 2015, 1:04 pm

This isn't a champions cup. It's an exhibition game between two teams from opposing hemisphere. Also, Europe isn't a hemisphere and it's a closed shop so it can't even be classed as the best in Europe. Same for the S15, a closed shop.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 20 May 2015, 4:39 pm

Lorddowlais obviously there's a bit of word play at work when you think about it - Crusaders vs Saracens - get it?

blackcanelion Farrell isn't really the player you want to light up a stadium any how.

Charlie is a far more attacking 10.

Speculation a team might look something like

1.Barrington
2.George
3.Du Plessis
4.Itoje
5.Hargreaves
6.Wray
7.Fraser/Hankin
8.Joubert

9.De Kock
10.Hodgson
11.Strettle
12.Streather
13.Tompkins
14.Ellery
15.Ransom

That's a stronger team than the one that beat Exeter in the LV cup final.

7 of that 15 started.

It's not the best team on paper but Hodgson can sparkle a backline, Itoje is one of the top young prospects in England, Tompkins is also highly rated, Ellery as a ex 7s player is fast.

It's actually a quite attacking backline albeit lacking experience bar half backs.

Pack isn't bad on paper though it lacks the sparkle the Vunipola bros bring.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 20 May 2015, 5:40 pm

It's not really a Cup if it doesn't involve the Champions of both leading competitions in each hemisphere... it more what you would call a sexed-up pre-season friendly.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 20 May 2015, 5:46 pm

Notch wrote:It's not really a Cup if it doesn't involve the Champions of both leading competitions in each hemisphere... it more what you would call a sexed-up pre-season friendly.

It's not called the Champions Cup though. The sides represent different hemispheres and I would imagine the winners will be presented with a cup/trophy of some description. Hence Hemispheres Cup.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 20 May 2015, 7:54 pm

Can't really see many people being interested.  Two major clubs without their Internationals?  Not a big draw if you ask me.

Most especially if they want to draw people who might not know the club game so well the lack of Internationals will reduce the interest, significantly, I would presume.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 20 May 2015, 7:58 pm

At least it should be a better-matched game than that debacle where NZ utterly demolished USA a while back. Not sure that did anything for the sport whatsoever.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 21 May 2015, 12:37 am

Cyril wrote:At least it should be a better-matched game than that debacle where NZ utterly demolished USA a while back. Not sure that did anything for the sport whatsoever.
Actually I think it did a lot.  That match was not about the beat-down which was inflicted on the hosts.  Everyone knew that was coming.  It was about getting Rugby on mainstream free tv in America, selling out a major stadium, showing there is interest in the sport, and brand-building (both the ABs and the sport).  I think it met its goals and moved the needle.  I think it is no coincidence that this year America will now host in August this Crusaders-Saracens match, plus Wallabies-USA, Harlequins-USA, and Leicester Tigers-Uni Combine players.  In the past, it was almost always USA-Canada.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down