The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NXT Takeover: Unstoppable

+5
Adam D
Samo
Nakatomi Plaza
RinoGattuso
Dolphin Ziggler
9 posters

Go down

NXT Takeover: Unstoppable Empty NXT Takeover: Unstoppable

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 21 May 2015, 12:47 am

Just watching the pre-show, they have explained Itami's injury with footage of him laying prone and injured in the car park. Owens walks past as he is being attended too and such "thats a shame." The desk then talks about how Itami had disrespected Owens a week or so ago...gonna guess that'll build to a future feud. Very good stuff, subtle line and keeps a storyline flowing under it all.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

NXT Takeover: Unstoppable Empty Re: NXT Takeover: Unstoppable

Post by RinoGattuso Thu 21 May 2015, 3:14 am

That's how you put on a great wrestling show.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Thu 21 May 2015, 6:59 am

There's no one better at pro wrestling than Sasha Banks. No one.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 21 May 2015, 10:27 am

Good No1 contenders match, and a good way to write Itami out - raises questions about Owens involvement. Both guys have had better matches, but it was still very good, and I want to see more of these two. The referee messed up a couple times, but hey, its NXT and these guys are learning aswell. I think the Demon winning pretty much confirms an Owens retainment later on...

Dana Brooke sticks out like a sore thumb with those three other women in the ring. Good tag match from the women with a few really good spots. All three could make it on the main roster but Brooke definitely needs more time. That spot when Emma dropped Bayley head first on the top turnbuckle was scary.

That was probably Corbins 2nd best match. It was a good showing and he looks stronger coming out of it. A couple more long matches like that and he can silence a few doubters.

Kevin Owens is such a douchey, arrogant, unlikable Tinkywinky its amazing. I love him. I cant wait for Elimination Chamber. Holy christ I hope he beats Cena, that will be the most incredible moment of the year.

HOW YOU DOIN?

Excellent tag match with some great spots, alot of energy and a good ending. I thought they would have Carmella turn, but Bliss makes more sense. I can get behind a rematch.

Eva Marie might not be able to wrestle worth a damn, but jesus she is smoking hot. Speaking of smoking hot, here comes the Boss.

Digging Beckys new SteamPunk look. Awesome match, very simple yet very effective story telling. Matches like this prove that womens wrestling can be huge and something people can get really invested in. Everytime these women have a title match and a Takeover event it is excellent. There are alot of guys on the main roster that cant pull off storytelling in a match like Becky and Sasha did. Sasha winning is the right call, but Becky can be proud. Top 10 MotY candidate for sure. Maybe even top 5. Match of the night by a considerable distance so far, Zayn and Owens have a tough act to follow. Never thought I would EVER said that about a womens match.

Kevin Owens is wearing a Cena shirt. That. Is. Awesome.

This could benefit from being a street fight or something, so they can just go at it, instead of constantly being threatened with countouts and DQ's - not that thats stopping them right enough. You cant help but be impressed by Sami and his ability to throw a guy the size of Owens around and make it look easy. POP UP POWERBOMB ON THE APRON HOLY Poopie! Im glad im not Zayn, that HAS to hurt. Sami Zayn is so good at selling im genuinely concerned right now.

OH MY Frak IS SAMOA JOE! This is gonna be good.

Another excellent Takeover event. Based on the non-finish of the main event, im giving Match of the Night to Lynch and the Boss. Joe vs Owens should be some feud, but where does this leave Sami? Due a call up shortly?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 21 May 2015, 10:29 am

Yay! At last we can all start liking Samoa Joe now again.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 21 May 2015, 10:39 am

You'll hate me for saying it but Joe in 5 minutes in NXT became more relevant than in the past 5 years of TNA and he looked hungry in a good way rather than hungry in a bad way (fat and lazy) that he's been in Dixieland.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 21 May 2015, 10:50 am

Hero wrote:You'll hate me for saying it but Joe in 5 minutes in NXT became more relevant than in the past 5 years of TNA and he looked hungry in a good way rather than hungry in a bad way (fat and lazy) that he's been in Dixieland.

Yes I do.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 21 May 2015, 12:19 pm

Probably one of the last big 'indy' guys to make it to the WWE. Looking forward to see what they do with him.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 21 May 2015, 5:29 pm

Well, your amended title (on the other thread) was awful Hero as he was the only person I could think of having a debut and I was on the last match so it was clear something was gonna happen!

Great news about Joe. Really good show, match of the night was easily Sasha and Becky.

It wasn't the best Takeover by a distance and there were problems in many of the matches. Didn't really like the interference angle in the tags, the number one contenders match felt a bit nothing (and the jump bit at the end was dumb). The female tag was an awful match, Dana Brooke was so bad I'm surprised she's not on the main shows being an awful Diva. Cameron and Rosa Mendes were embarrassed watching that.

BUT

The Women's title match was brilliant, with an ending that was a little too WWE snap finisher done.

The main event I really enjoyed because Kevin Owens is incredible. The Cena shirt, the brutality, Joe's debut. It felt like we were 15 years in the past and wrestling was cool again.

Best showing from Corbin and surprised by how much I enjoyed Rhyno's work. Great use of him.

Finn is number one contender, but Owens has Cena and Joe in his sights. I'm not always a fan of the complicated finishes, but would love Joe to cost Owens a match against Balor and then have Owens and Joe feud over pure anger and hatred. However, I'm not sure where Finn goes as champ, or even in defeat. Hideo is injured, hes beaten Breeze. Uhaa? Corbin?

Samoa Joe. Hero is right. Took Joe about 2 steps to be interesting again. A hot feud, the knowledge of what he can do and the fans getting the "Joe is gonna kill you" chant instantly made him look brilliant.

Kevin Owens is the best thing in wrestling.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Thu 21 May 2015, 6:48 pm

To add to my earlier brief thoughts, this was the first time Enzo and Big Cass appeared to be more than a catchphrase. This was their best showing. I've got some reservations regarding Bliss turning heel, mainly due to her not being a good worker. She'll have to control most of her matches now which she hasn't shown the ability to do so far.

I'm wondering if Breeze should be turned face. He's been the nearly man as a heel, and has worked against all the top faces. I don't think putting him against Joe would do anything for either man, and I think he deserves better than being enhancement fodder for Uhaa.

Last edited by Nakatomi Plaza on Sun 24 May 2015, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 21 May 2015, 7:19 pm

Really enjoyed the show, agree that it wasn't the best takeover but still very good.

Balor vs Breeze was a good start to the show, the entrances were really good, probably not their best match together though. Would love to see Balor vs Owens as an extended feud but can't see it happening. Also, how bad was the ref in this?

Diva's tag was poor. Agree with what's been said about Dana Brooke, but I guess she can only learn and benefit from working with the likes of Bayley, Charlotte and Emma. Hope Bayley moves back up into the title scene soon.

Corbin vs Rhyno wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, in fact it was decent. Nice to see Corbin having a longer match. He's got the look and charisma, and his finisher is ridiculously cool, but still needs a lot of work on his actual wrestling.

Tag match was again a good match. I'm glad they didn't put the titles on Enzo and Big Cass straight away, think the feud has legs yet. And btw, how hot is Carmella? Jeeeeeezzzzzz.

The women's title match was absolutely fantastic, one of the best matches in WWE this year. Simple story, but told so well through the in-ring action. Banks is absolute gold.

Kevin Owens is the best thing in WWE right now. The Cena shirt was great, and all his other little mannerisms make him such a good heel. Zayn is also so good in his role as the under-dog face. Obviously hampered somewhat by his injury, but still a very good match. And then Samoa Joe! Owens vs Joe is a huge feud potentially.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 21 May 2015, 7:54 pm

Mat wrote:Really enjoyed the show, agree that it wasn't the best takeover but still very good.

Balor vs Breeze was a good start to the show, the entrances were really good, probably not their best match together though. Would love to see Balor vs Owens as an extended feud but can't see it happening. Also, how bad was the ref in this?

Diva's tag was poor. Agree with what's been said about Dana Brooke, but I guess she can only learn and benefit from working with the likes of Bayley, Charlotte and Emma. Hope Bayley moves back up into the title scene soon.

Corbin vs Rhyno wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, in fact it was decent. Nice to see Corbin having a longer match. He's got the look and charisma, and his finisher is ridiculously cool, but still needs a lot of work on his actual wrestling.

Tag match was again a good match. I'm glad they didn't put the titles on Enzo and Big Cass straight away, think the feud has legs yet. And btw, how hot is Carmella? Jeeeeeezzzzzz.

The women's title match was absolutely fantastic, one of the best matches in WWE this year. Simple story, but told so well through the in-ring action. Banks is absolute gold.

Kevin Owens is the best thing in WWE right now. The Cena shirt was great, and all his other little mannerisms make him such a good heel. Zayn is also so good in his role as the under-dog face. Obviously hampered somewhat by his injury, but still a very good match. And then Samoa Joe! Owens vs Joe is a huge feud potentially.

You can't teach that!
Bada boom! Realest guys in the room! How you doin?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 21 May 2015, 8:09 pm

I have it from a very reliable source inside the WWE that Carmella is in fact, hot as hell.

And you can't, teach, that.

HOW YOU DOIN'??

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 21 May 2015, 8:13 pm

My two sons know it word for word now and it's rather odd seeing a 9 & 7 year old chant it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun 24 May 2015, 7:58 pm

I'm just starting to go through this event again.

My first comment is that Finn Balor is in danger of going backwards. I don't see the progression he is making, at best he is static, but more realistically I think because NXT has relatively limited competition he is going backwards. And IMO that is not so good for a guy in his 30s. Maybe Joe, or another program with Owens, will lift him again. But while Tyler Breeze may be the best male wrestler NXT is developing he is still limited. And one of my problems is a Demon vs a Male Model, well make a story out of that, somehow Finn has to carry that entrance into his matches, otherwise he's going to be a 5* entrance and a 3* in-ring performer.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 24 May 2015, 8:04 pm

I don't quite see it with Balor yet.

Did see a good comment on NXT talent the other day. It basically said that whilst HHH's ego was a killer whilst he was wrestling, it will be wonderful for the likes of Owens, Zayn, Neville and Balor on the main roster. They are his guys, he will not let them be treated badly because it will reflect on him.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 24 May 2015, 8:31 pm

The problem with that is will those guys ever get the respect they deserve? Or will people think they are only where they are because of HHH?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 24 May 2015, 8:43 pm

They have the smark backing already, that filters through. Talent is clear, but booking can squash talent. If they get strong booking then its they'll show their talent.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun 24 May 2015, 8:53 pm

Balor is /was one of the best wrestlers in the world. It's not that he's not had good performances in NXT, like his fight with Neville, but he's not exuding the presence and mastery he had in NJPW. He's not bad in NXT, in fact he's good, but he could be awesome.

As far as HHH men. I generally agree, but also think Trips will drop a wrestler like a stone if they are not working and therefore not favourably reflecting on him and there is a new hot property he can back.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 25 May 2015, 2:39 pm

Balor vs Breeze. As discussed above, this is fine, but a big step below what Balor is capable of. 3*

Emma & Dana Brooke vs Charlotte and Bayley. I like the way that Emma has been reinvented in the last month or so. Bayley I just find too much like a children's TV presenter to care about, so she never represents the babyface in peril. Brooke is very much at the beginning of her journey. Charlotte still needs to be working up in her matches with better wrestlers. 2*

Rhyno vs Baron Corbin. Gore vs Bore. We've talked about Corbin as an enforcer and I see him doing that, with the odd appearance in a Battle Royal. But as a singles wrestler, I just don't see it happening. I wasn't in to this at any stage. 1.5*

Enzo & Cass vs Blake & Murphy. With all the talent NXT has brought in, they have failed to attract big Indy tag teams. It is by far NXT's weakest division. Enzo & Cass are a fun warm up mic act, and this match was okay, with a nice swerve. But NXT is nowhere near delivering a 4 or 5* tag match, unlike its other divisions. 2*

Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks. The working of the arm, the realistic fighting techniques the two women employed, the selling. And the time this match was given. NXT has such faith in their top women and they don't disappoint. NXT will have a women's PPV main event before Sasha goes up to WWE. 4*

Zayn vs Owens. These two are WWE's most over wrestlers (no wonder Cena found a way to get in the ring with them). Not a match, but an event and an awesome one. Owens has so many angles going now and all ones I want to see. It seems that WWE had enough doubt about Joe to not offer him a full WWE contract, think he proved any detractors wrong there. 4.5* (for the match/angle)
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May 2015, 6:40 pm

Not sure Joe could have proven anyone wrong just yet?

I was disappointed with the end of the women's singles match.

I'd go:

Balor vs Breeze - Felt like there was nothing to keep me hooked as the result was so obvious. The story wasn't there and I was disappointed by both men's work. 2.5*

Emma & Dana vs Charlotte & Bayley: Whole match was hamstrung by having Dana involved. She's been hotshot onto the NXT roster when she could do with the Kendrick treatment a la Eva Marie. Bayley was the one the crowd wanted to see and I'll be disappointed if this is the end to Emma and Bayley's feud. Terribly unenjoyable. 1.25*

Baron Corbin vs Rhyno - Enjoyed this, I'm more into smash-mouth wrestling and I expected little from either worker. However, they meshed quite well and I thought Rhyno showed he was a good signing, clearly a good leader of a match, and (Adam will love this) much better in this role than his TNA one. Corbin stood up to it all and responded well, and his finisher is brilliant. Preferred this to the opener, paced better and whilst predictable it was a pleasant upturn in performance from both men. 3*

Enzo & Cass vs Blake & Murphy - Not a huge fan of the finish, but Blake and Murphy are a bit too plain for an NXT face team so think they'll work better as heels. Enzo pulled out better wrestling than I expected, but it wasn't anything of note as a match. 2*

Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch - Easily match of the night, but the finish grated on me a little. Just seemed a bit too snap and done for me. They could have done more to put Becky over as a fighter, rugged and willing to go through anything. Banks is top notch, I would hope she can have a programme with Bayley, whilst I'd like to see her work with Tamina Snuka too. 4*

Zayn vs Owens - You're right, it was an event rather than a match. I love Owens, everything he does is perfect, no wasted movement. Sold Zayn's anger very well and played to be overawed by it. Also like that he didn't snap at Regal till he was impacted physically. The Joe bit was great, but for a main event it was pretty much an event that needed the rest of the card to do all the work for it so no-one felt short changed by missing out on a great match. The whole scenario worked, but there wasn't really a match there. 3.5*

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 25 May 2015, 7:24 pm

I see your point Dolph re Joe (and I like your review btw).  He's not even made a collar and elbow tie up yet.  But to me he looks like he is in the best shape he's been in for 5 years, he looks like he has the intensity of a man ready to headline NXT, and the pop he got.  There were those who didn't think he belonged in an NXT ring, I really think he does.  And I look forward to seeing what he does next.  This is a great angle to me where Owens is the bully and who's gonna be a bigger boy than the bully, well I don't think too many wrestlers have the presence to fill that role like Joe can.  I think that post Mania the NXT product had cooled down a couple of degrees and fresh blood like Joe and hopefully a soon to appear Uhaa Nation can really freshen things up.

I think its also worth reflecting that Zayn is widely reported to be out for surgery now.  So, I think he worked what he could in that match and they made the best of still having an Owens / Zayn main event that might not have delivered in the ring (simply because I don't think Zayn was fit enough), but did in terms of story.  A great job saving that angle I think.

And this is going to be a taste thing, but for me the end of the Enzo & Cass match.  Hilarious.  Not the Bliss bit, but before that.  Enzo is out, but Cass has to hit that finisher and the only way he can do it is to try to drag Enzo's limp body to the top turnbuckle.  It's the kind of thing that can crash and burn, but for these two guys where Cass isn't the sharpest knives in the drawer, I thought it worked really well and brought a big smile to my face.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 25 May 2015, 7:27 pm

I love Enzo and Cass, they will be a breath of fresh air on the main roster. I wanna see Enzo and Titus O'Neill given freedom on the mic together. They are a throwback which needn't be a throwback, basically a throwback to when tag teams were allowed to be characters.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 25 May 2015, 8:00 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Emma & Dana vs Charlotte & Bayley: Whole match was hamstrung by having Dana involved. She's been hotshot onto the NXT roster when she could do with the Kendrick treatment a la Eva Marie. Bayley was the one the crowd wanted to see and I'll be disappointed if this is the end to Emma and Bayley's feud. Terribly unenjoyable. 1.25*

The thing I would say about Dana is she's been with the WWE for two years, so it's bizarre that she looks so green when in theory she should have had a decent grounding at the performance centre.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 25 May 2015, 8:01 pm

Im sure it was before they were the No1 contenders they had a match ending I absolutely loved. Enzo was out cold at the adjacent corner so Cass marched along the apron, grabbed him by the arm and dragged Enzo to his corner to make the tag. It was excellent, fun and clever.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 25 May 2015, 8:31 pm

I think the thing about Dana Brooke is that with a background in gymnastics and fitness competition / bodybuilding you are not going to find a better template for a wrestler, the fact that she's also worked crowds of the NXT size and is a good looking girl all adds to her upside. I think we know it takes time to learn to wrestle, I'm happy giving her another couple of years to show if she's got "it".

Coming back to Enzo its well known that Demott didn't exactly rate him, so it will be interesting to see how much he improves with the new coaching regime.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down