The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was It PPV?

+11
Lance
Herman Jaeger
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
spencerclarke
DuransHorse
John Bloody Wayne
Guest82
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
AlexHuckerby
15 posters

Go down

Was It PPV? Empty Was It PPV?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 31 May 2015, 5:18 pm

Last night's card was on of the best nights boxing I've seen in ages. From 5PM til 11pm it was excellent. We didn't even have to watch Clev stink the place out, he was only out for 14 seconds.

Main event was a dud, but everything else was brilliant. Was it PPV worthy... Yeah, if Hearn had got what he wanted we'd have seen that probably at Wembley with Brook Khan as main event. Was it PPV worthy? Yeah, was for me, thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Was It PPV? Empty Re: Was It PPV?

Post by catchweight Sun 31 May 2015, 5:29 pm

Not in the slightest. It was a good card but the two headline events were glorified mismatches and of all the world titles on the line only Linares could have an argument to be the actual best. Gradovitch was a weak champion, easily the weakest in the division. Closer to a solid contender than a champion.

The Matchroom model is crap for fans. To get to this card, which was put on at a premium, we had a series of rubbish domestic cards largely a waste of time.

No reason why Brook v Gavin and Joshua v Johnson could not have featured seperately on a non ppv card and Mitchell v Linares and Selby v Gradovitch could have headlined their own cards.

Matchroom has a large enough stable backed by a big tv network that we should be getting good cards every couple of weeks. Instead we are getting sub standard cards on a regular basis with the odd good card thrown in being ppv.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 5:32 pm

A very good card, who cares if they're the best in their division, it was enjoyable and the £14.95 (virgin media price) was more than good value.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 31 May 2015, 6:57 pm

No. It wasn't a PPV card. It was a decent night of boxing, but in reality this is what I should get for my sky subscription. This is where they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I don't mind paying for mega-fights as PPV - as I can see this is a reason they get made. But none of those fights yesterday were even close to mega fights. Eddie would actually be better building Selby and even Brook up to the casual...this way they might get a big fan base.

By the twisted logic - should Man United v Chelsea be on PPV, but I can watch West Brom v Stoke as part of my subscription?

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 7:11 pm

Remind me do footballers get punched in the face for a living?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 31 May 2015, 7:17 pm

If only

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 7:35 pm

What they do for a living, whether being punched in the face or kicking a bag of air around, is not really relevant.

Agree that additional costs should be reserved for the elite fighting the elite. Brook may well get punched in the face for a living, but not very often or very hard last night. Joshua should make the heavy bag in the gym a PPV event based on last night.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 7:39 pm

Will just add that you never know what you're gonna get until the bell goes, so as good as the undercard was, Hearn had fortune going his way to some degree.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 31 May 2015, 7:52 pm

It would be good if a few of Eddie Hearns detractors at least give him a little credit on this one occasion, even if it's grudgingly. Still catching up on a couple of the fights but a really good card.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 8:01 pm

I'm a fan of Hearn. In general he's good for boxing and good to his boxers. Just a few too many PPVS.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:04 pm

I'm a fan of Eddie too, think he generally does well for his boxers and, whatever his motivation, he wants to put on decent fights. He's also put on some very good shows in the past.

Just think that I pay quite a lot for Sky Sports as it is. Now I think last night was a very good show, but nothing mega. If it was on Sky Sports everyone would be singing Eddies praises.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 8:08 pm

The card as it was couldn't have been shown on Sky Sports but there is an argument that they could have split the card in two a couple of weeks apart.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:14 pm

With the OP's backside licking thread.... "The Eddie Hearn effect" slightly further down the page...

606 certainly has the antidote to Strongy with Alex...

Last night was money well spent.............One complaint ...Where was the interview with Linares ????...Poor show...

Every other winner got an interview...........Sour grapes ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 31 May 2015, 8:29 pm

Its missing the big picture. In order to run the card last night (a good card but lets not get carried away), fans had to pay a premium on top of their subscription Sky. Worse though, was that we got months of sh1te Matchroom cards or no boxing at all in so that Matchroom could load up a card and then try and justify charging extra on it.

Since the joke of Bellew/Clevery ppv rematch Matchroom has turned out some utter crap cards. Leeds, Brimingham, Newcastle, Hull etc. Matchrrom have Sky backing them and they have access to the majority of the fighters in the UK. We should be getting good cards every couple of weeks. Not 2 months of sh1t and then a ppv.

It would be better if Sky followed the boxnation model and said look we will charge you 100 quid year to follow boxing on top of your Sky fee and for that you get every ppv Sky show and we will deliver good cards every couple of weeks.

Not 6 ppv cards in the space of a year with next to nothing worthwhile in between. We could have had a month of regular Sky shows for the card last nght which would have given the likes of Mitchell and Selby headline billing on their own shows instead of forking out extra for a ppv.

Matchroom wont do this though because they would rather make a handy profit on mismatch cards throughout the year where they can do the cards on the cheap and have them on Sky anyway, while any fights that cost them money to put on will be put on ppv. It sucks if you are boxing fan who wants good, competitive boxing cards on a regular basis.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:33 pm

catchweight wrote:Its missing the big picture. In order to run the card last night (a good card but lets not get carried away), fans had to pay a premium on top of their subscription Sky. Worse though, was that we got months of sh1te Matchroom cards or no boxing at all in so that Matchroom could load up a card and then try and justify charging extra on it.

Since the joke of Bellew/Clevery ppv rematch Matchroom has turned out some utter crap cards. Leeds, Brimingham, Newcastle, Hull etc. Matchrrom have Sky backing them and they have access to the majority of the fighters in the UK. We should be getting good cards every couple of weeks. Not 2 months of sh1t and then a ppv.

It would be better if they the boxnation model and said look we will charge you 100 quid year to follow boxing on top of your Sky fee and for that you get every ppv Sky show and we will deliver good cards every couple of weeks.

Not 6 ppv cards in the space of a year with next to nothing worthwhile in between. We could have had a month of regular Sky shows for the card last nght which would have given the likes of Mitchell and Selby headline billing on their own shows instead of forking out extra for a ppv.

Have to agree with most of that..............

Whilst I don't mind shelling out..I think we will reach the stage where all the champions whether by being on SKY BO or Boxnation will be out of access for the regular fan..........

That can't be good for the future of the game over here..... as impressionable kids with talent may not get the Boxing bug !! and Boxing will become more marginalised.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 8:34 pm

Not like we've had;

Degale vs Dirrell
Burns vs Figueroa
McDonnell vs Kameda recently too.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:35 pm

Now Degale has a title we'll see If we see him again off PPV...

McDonnell and Burns..............How inspiring for the kids..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 8:36 pm

McDonnell and Burns showed themselves to be useless bums didn't they in those fights.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:McDonnell and Burns showed themselves to be useless bums didn't they in those fights.

You think ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 8:38 pm

That's how I see it. I still blame all the muppets who bought bellew cleverly though and proved Eddie's case study for him. It's not like we didn't warn you Wink

That said, it was a good card, I paid for it and I enjoyed it, like a good hypocrite should.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:41 pm

milkyboy wrote:That's how I see it. I still blame all the muppets who bought bellew cleverly though and proved Eddie's case study for him. It's not like we didn't warn you Wink

That said, it was a good card, I paid for it and I enjoyed it, like a good hypocrite should.

I'm in the hypocrite club too..........

Give me three more Brit title fights and a couple of world battles and here is my money....

I lack discipline these days......Just ask my Uncle KFC

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 31 May 2015, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 8:41 pm

I assume those like Catchweight constantly complaining didn't pay?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 31 May 2015, 8:59 pm

I dont particularly care about paying or not paying for a ppv card. I dont miss the money and I am not principled enough to really care about something a mundane as a boxing card.

As a fan of watching good fights, what p1sses me off is Matchrooms method of of promoting boxing. The dont provide enough good cards for the premiuns they charge or the stable of boxers they have. They churn out way too many low budget, mismatch, who cares cards and demand fans pay premiums on overstuffed cards.

But Eddie Hearn, what a cool guy eh. The "casuals" love him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 9:04 pm

If you don't care..... Why do you keep ranting on about it ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 9:07 pm

It doesn't really make any sense Truss, if you have an issue with it then don't buy it but to then constantly repeat the same argument a million times and then say you don't particularly care doesn't add up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 31 May 2015, 9:11 pm

As you can see, I said I dont care about paying extra for boxing (up to a point). I pay for boxnation, I pay for the odd ppv cards. What I care about is the sh1te Matchroom monopoly model of serving up sh1te cards on a regular basis. When they have the capacity to serve up good cards every couple of weeks. In the minority though, admittadly, amongst all the concernded Eddie Hearn fans.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 May 2015, 10:04 pm

Decent night of boxing, not ppv worthy.

Agree with pretty much everything catchweight has written on this thread.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 31 May 2015, 10:54 pm

I dont mind paying. But Catchweight is right. When is the next decent card on Sky, and the next one after that?

Matchrooms domination is very bad for British boxing

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 31 May 2015, 11:09 pm

Wonder what Rupert will use the money he made on the PPV.  He will propably spend the cash on taking pot shots at Hilary Clinton or get behind a despot leader and stoke up a little war.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 31 May 2015, 11:19 pm

If you're a boxing fan and you wanted to watch last nights fights then you had to pay. Doesn't mean you have to like it, agree with it and understand that it has to continue like this so we get some decent fights. The show probably looks better in comparison to the many awful shows that have been the lead up to this.

Agree with catchweight too. I didn't pay for it, though I did watch the fights.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:02 am

Lance wrote:I dont mind paying. But Catchweight is right. When is the next decent card on Sky, and the next one after that?

Matchrooms domination is very bad for British boxing

The Manchester and Liverpool cards are shaping up well.

Smith vs Rebrasse
Fielding vs Vera

Crolla vs Perez
Quigg vs Martinez
Eggington vs Foot
Nurse vs Jenkins

Not sure anyone can complain about those match ups, looking forward to the Manchester card quite a bit myself.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:54 am

The Liverpool card is below average. Smith and Fielding continuing to avoid each other at domestic level and fighting gatekeepers with Price and Bellew headlining the card against mismatched punchbags.

The Manchester card looks decent, but thats is the sort of card Matchroom should be able to offer on a regular basis. Lets hope its not upgraded to Sky Box Office.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm

Talking of Fielding.... He's being talked up to fight DeGale in the autumn.

Travesty if it happens and no doubt as its a an All British World Title Fight (copyright Matchroom Sports) we can expect it on a PPV.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:43 pm

I said in another thread I can see a (Brook-Gavin type) Degale-Fielding fight.....

Get the feeling Hearn finds Fielding an irritant...............He has both Smith's, Degale, Froch and access to Groves probably when he needs him....at 168..

So this ordinary, sleep walking muppet who seems to lack discipline is like a rash he can't get rid off..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:45 pm

rob-glos wrote:Talking of Fielding.... He's being talked up to fight DeGale in the autumn.

Travesty if it happens and no doubt as its a an All British World Title Fight (copyright Matchroom Sports) we can expect it on a PPV.
Is it any worse that Degale trying to drag Kessler out of retirement?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
rob-glos wrote:Talking of Fielding.... He's being talked up to fight DeGale in the autumn.

As long as it isn't headlining like Brook-Gavin..............Be okay.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:48 pm

Story here...

For me it's far more likely that they feed Fielding to DeGale, although it will probably make Brook-Gavin look competitive.

Smith is a decent prospect and he's going the WBC route with Eddie keen to get him in with Groves if and when he beats Badou Jack.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

As long as it isn't headlining like Brook-Gavin..............Be okay.

They're talking about DeGale headlining his first defence at the O2 in the Autumn.
So my Mystic Meg predictions are....
1) DeGale will be ringside/working for Sky in Liverpool to generate some buzz...
2) Fielding will call out DeGale
3) the fight gets made and headlines at the O2
4) because it's an All British World Title Fight it's PPV.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm

rob-glos wrote:Story here...

For me it's far more likely that they feed Fielding to DeGale, although it will probably make Brook-Gavin look competitive.

Smith is a decent prospect and he's going the WBC route with Eddie keen to get him in with Groves if and when he beats Badou Jack.

Hearn won't risk Degale v Groves......................By having Groves - Smith after he beats Badou....

Degale - Groves is a gold mine............

I reckon Fielding - Degale is going to happen..............If Fielding can make weight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 02 Jun 2015, 10:11 am

Guest82 wrote:No. It wasn't a PPV card. It was a decent night of boxing, but in reality this is what I should get for my sky subscription. This is where they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.  

I don't mind paying for mega-fights as PPV - as I can see this is a reason they get made. But none of those fights yesterday were even close to mega fights. Eddie would actually be better building Selby and even Brook up to the casual...this way they might get a big fan base.

By the twisted logic - should Man United v Chelsea be on PPV, but I can watch West Brom v Stoke as part of my subscription?
Most of your subscription price is for the big football games anyway. Almost none of it is for boxing, so you pay if the limited (comparative) funding doesn't cover the cost. This card wouldn't have been cheap.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

I have noticed that Sky haven't dropped the cost of their Sports subscription after losing the Champions League rights though.

Bearing in mind they were paying something like £150-200 million a year for those.....

And they haven't replaced it....
Sky should have a massive pile of cash sloshing around somewhere.

I sincerely hope that Sky have given Matchroom a significantly increased budget for the new contract.
This would make sense given the size and profile of their stable.

They've got 5 world champions now!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:06 pm

They did overspend their Premier League budget by 1 billion though....

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:09 pm

When I first came over in 88 to visit my baby............

You had about three channels and f**k all sport..........You had one show which had diddly-piddly woo on a saturday..

Now you've got access to every big sporting show in the sporting world............

Incredible value for money....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum