The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

+57
hugehandoff
Exiledinborders
whocares
majesticimperialman
englandglory4ever
donglewood
aucklandlaurie
kunu
thebandwagonsociety
BamBam
theslosty
Engine#4
wrfc1980
fa0019
Wi11
RuggerRadge2611
Blanko
Rory_Gallagher
FecklessRogue
mrsuperclear
No 7&1/2
Artful_Dodger
Cloggie
wales606
Gwlad
munkian
Submachine
marty2086
maestegmafia
SirBurger
GoodinTightSpaces
mikey_dragon
Chunky Norwich
Cyril
lostinwales
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
the-goon
George Carlin
eirebilly
The Boss
theshanker
Pete330v2
TJ
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
Marshes
wolfball
SecretFly
gleesonisgod
profitius
bedfordwelsh
Notch
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
61 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 8 Empty Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 2 Jun - 2:12

First topic message reminder :

Alright.

The time for whinging at the Welsh, sniping at the Scots and educating the English is done. Playtime is over. The bitterness is dialled up to ten, the eye-patches producing metaphorical one-eyedness are donned, chips are placed on shoulders – it’s time for some proper, down n’ dirty, internecine bickering.

Who will go to the 2015 Rugby World Cup to play for Ireland?

Who should go?

The players have the following opportunities to shine like a diamond for Joe:

Emerging Ireland Tbilisi Cup

Emerging Italy v Emerging Ireland
Saturday 13th June 14:00 BST

Uruguay v Emerging Ireland
Wednesday 17th June 14:00 BST

Georgia v Emerging Ireland
Sunday 21st June 16:00 BST

Ireland Matches

Wales v Ireland
Millennium Stadium
Saturday 8th August

Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 15th August

Ireland v Wales
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 29th August

England v Ireland
Twickenham Stadium
Saturday 5th September

31 players.

A 17/14 split? Has Madigan played himself off the plane? Do Ruddock or Trimble have enough time to make it back? Can Rory’s darts be trusted? Does POM spend too much time on the wing? Are Payne and Strauss “Irish” enough? Why is Reddan there? Has Zebo been by-passed? Is Cave too slow? Why Felix Jones?

HAVE AT THEE!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 8 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Aug - 23:25

Haha ok. Semi finals and he will have nailed it down.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 8 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Aug - 23:32

Munchkin wrote:
Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:
Notch wrote:
Earls has very quick instincts, which is way better than decision making.

For a winger yes, for a centre no. Earls instincts revolve around what he needs to do with the ball;

Totally agree - although even a wing decision making is important.

Instinct will make breaks and create chances but it's decision making is what finishes them off.

Decision making never finished a try off. Skill does. And its a skill that your winger is in the right place at the right time to receive the pass.  

That's what sets the AB's apart - when they make a break - whatever player has the ball 99% of the time will pick the right pass and the guys off the ball will pick the right support line.

It helps that all the ABs have great (& similar) pace (and are much faster than all of our players.

Earls just isn't at that level - none of the Irish players are but he'd be one of the ones who needs the most work. Payne, Cave and Henshaw just read the game that bit better and create more for people around them which is what Joe looks for.

Yea, they read the game and it passes them by. Joe has to work with the (slow) cattle he has.

Earls like Zebo brings a bit of cutting edge with his pace but this won't get him a free pass under Schmidt - he'll need to get all parts of his game right so it's not surprising he had one of his best games, as did Cave, against Wales - they'll have been really well drilled when to pass and what line to hit.

However when the game does break up from that structure you see the best and worst of Earls - i.e. his broken field running and speed but his lack of ability to read when and when not to pass when on the ball, away from set plays (something Joe praised Payne for). That cost 2 certain tries which you won't get away with against a better team.

Payne doesn't pass. He just trucks it up and tackles. Was Schmidt praising him for not passing? What 2 tries are you talking about?

The question is whether the fact that he created those chances balances that out (probably not under Schmidt) - plus the try he scored - would Payne have scored that? Maybe but probably you have more confidence on Earls to beat the cover defense.

I'd imagine Schmidt might be concerned how Ireland could spend so much time in the Wales 22 during the 6Ns and not score. Even the game against Scotland most the scores came from the forwards just banging away at the line.

I would think that good decision making makes tries, poor decision making destroys opportunities. I take your point about the skill of a winger. The right place at the right time, and Earls does that. He is a very good poacher, like Bowe, but we're talking about Earls attributes at centre.

Payne doesn't pass? Strange that Schmidt would tolerate this in his plan which demands plenty of offloads...

Ireland have just won back to back 6N's, and are now placed 2nd in world ranking, with Ireland playing exactly the way he wants them to play. I don't think he is too concerned Very Happy

Brian O'Driscoll was a fairly good poacher as well! And he has made plenty of poor decisions as well. For instance, shortly before the infamous Earls non pass to BOD (which is continually brought up) BOD himself tried and failed to score a try ignoring Earls who had a clean run in!

You haven't been watching Ireland play if you think Schmidt likes offloads Very Happy Yahoo Way too risky for him. Jared Payne played v SA where he actually didn't pass the ball once. He only missed one tackle though and gave away one penalty.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Aug - 23:43

Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:
Notch wrote:
Earls has very quick instincts, which is way better than decision making.

For a winger yes, for a centre no. Earls instincts revolve around what he needs to do with the ball;

Totally agree - although even a wing decision making is important.

Instinct will make breaks and create chances but it's decision making is what finishes them off.

Decision making never finished a try off. Skill does. And its a skill that your winger is in the right place at the right time to receive the pass.  

That's what sets the AB's apart - when they make a break - whatever player has the ball 99% of the time will pick the right pass and the guys off the ball will pick the right support line.

It helps that all the ABs have great (& similar) pace (and are much faster than all of our players.

Earls just isn't at that level - none of the Irish players are but he'd be one of the ones who needs the most work. Payne, Cave and Henshaw just read the game that bit better and create more for people around them which is what Joe looks for.

Yea, they read the game and it passes them by. Joe has to work with the (slow) cattle he has.

Earls like Zebo brings a bit of cutting edge with his pace but this won't get him a free pass under Schmidt - he'll need to get all parts of his game right so it's not surprising he had one of his best games, as did Cave, against Wales - they'll have been really well drilled when to pass and what line to hit.

However when the game does break up from that structure you see the best and worst of Earls - i.e. his broken field running and speed but his lack of ability to read when and when not to pass when on the ball, away from set plays (something Joe praised Payne for). That cost 2 certain tries which you won't get away with against a better team.

Payne doesn't pass. He just trucks it up and tackles. Was Schmidt praising him for not passing? What 2 tries are you talking about?

The question is whether the fact that he created those chances balances that out (probably not under Schmidt) - plus the try he scored - would Payne have scored that? Maybe but probably you have more confidence on Earls to beat the cover defense.

I'd imagine Schmidt might be concerned how Ireland could spend so much time in the Wales 22 during the 6Ns and not score. Even the game against Scotland most the scores came from the forwards just banging away at the line.

I would think that good decision making makes tries, poor decision making destroys opportunities. I take your point about the skill of a winger. The right place at the right time, and Earls does that. He is a very good poacher, like Bowe, but we're talking about Earls attributes at centre.

Payne doesn't pass? Strange that Schmidt would tolerate this in his plan which demands plenty of offloads...

Ireland have just won back to back 6N's, and are now placed 2nd in world ranking, with Ireland playing exactly the way he wants them to play. I don't think he is too concerned Very Happy

Brian O'Driscoll was a fairly good poacher as well! And he has made plenty of poor decisions as well. For instance, shortly before the infamous Earls non pass to BOD (which is continually brought up) BOD himself tried and failed to score a try ignoring Earls who had a clean run in!

You haven't been watching Ireland play if you think Schmidt likes offloads Very Happy Yahoo Way too risky for him. Jared Payne played v SA where he actually didn't pass the ball once. He only missed one tackle though and gave away one penalty.

I thought my comment on offloads was obviously sarcasm on my part, hence the '...', but no, you missed it Very Happy

Yes, BOD was another great poacher. He was a greedy sod Very Happy I wasn't saying that poaching is a bad thing. I think it's a great skill and was complimenting Earls for his poaching skills. You don't have to view all I say in a negative light. I'm not anti-Earls. I'm just not convinced by him at centre. I think he will be picked for the Ireland squad, and if he is I hope he has a fantastic RWC and proves my doubts wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Aug - 23:53

Trimbles scan has revealed bruising on the foot and toes, with no sign of further damage to his previous injury. So it looks as though he will be fine to play v Wales Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Fri 14 Aug - 0:18

Munchkin wrote:Trimbles scan has revealed bruising on the foot and toes, with no sign of further damage to his previous injury. So it looks as though he will be fine to play v Wales Very Happy

Best news all day!!

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Aug - 0:41

Munchkin wrote:Trimbles scan has revealed bruising on the foot and toes, with no sign of further damage to his previous injury. So it looks as though he will be fine to play v Wales Very Happy

It's a shame Liam Williams won't be fit... He's had Trimble's number on a few occasions Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Aug - 0:46

mikey_dragon wrote:

It's a shame Liam Williams won't be fit... He's had Trimble's number on a few occasions Wink.

Do you think so? Can't remember him ever having Trimbles number. I do remember a bit of handbags when Williams aimed a flurry of punches at Trimble (While Trimble was trapped underneath him) without any really landing, not much of a boxer, but that's about it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Aug - 1:22

I think I remember a few landing, but it was after Trimble assaulted him. It's fair to say in that game, Williams had his number Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Aug - 1:36

To be fair, you did say a few occasions, but I still don't agree with you. Trimble reacted to something Williams did. What that was exactly I don't know as it was off camera. If you think having someone's number is when that someone is trapped under a flurry of kisses then fair enough.

Not sure if it's your thing to take pride in your players demonstrating shocking indiscipline, but each to their own, I suppose. Should one of your players do the same during the world cup I'm sure your heart will be bursting with pride thumbsup

On a serious note, I really like Williams. Always admired his passion for the game, and always thought he had it in him to be a very good player once, or if, he matured. He has, and he has my respect for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Fri 14 Aug - 3:30

Munchkin wrote:To be fair, you did say a few occasions, but I still don't agree with you. Trimble reacted to something Williams did. What that was exactly I don't know as it was off camera. If you think having someone's number is when that someone is trapped under a flurry of kisses then fair enough.

Not sure if it's your thing to take pride in your players demonstrating shocking indiscipline, but each to their own, I suppose. Should one of your players do the same during the world cup I'm sure your heart will be bursting with pride thumbsup

On a serious note, I really like Williams. Always admired his passion for the game, and always thought he had it in him to be a very good player once, or if, he matured. He has, and he has my respect for that.

Actually, it looks like Trimble hits Williams twice in the face after a ruck for no real reason and Williams reacts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6tVwWvYnY

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Aug - 3:54

Marshes wrote:
Munchkin wrote:To be fair, you did say a few occasions, but I still don't agree with you. Trimble reacted to something Williams did. What that was exactly I don't know as it was off camera. If you think having someone's number is when that someone is trapped under a flurry of kisses then fair enough.

Actually, it looks like Trimble hits Williams twice in the face after a ruck for no real reason and Williams reacts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6tVwWvYnY

I've watched enough without subjecting myself to watching it again, and I fully agree. It does look like Trimble turns on Williams for no reason (there's always a reason). That's why I mentioned Trimble reacting to some provocation from Williams off camera.

This has been done to death. mikey brought the subject up again for whatever reasons only known to him, but I have no real desire to discuss it any further as I, and whoever else joins in, will more than likely be accused of dragging Williams into a discussion for no other reason than to single him out for abuse.

EDIT: Just looked at it again anyway. Williams hair! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 14 Aug - 5:28

Williams probably did provoke Trimble, but no excuse for a strike to the face,or was it head? Anyway, I think I dragged this off topic. I was simply fuelling the Ulster hates Liam Williams fire Wink, but I shouldn't have. I don't condone violence on the pitch and rate the rugby playing abilities of both players highly. I hope this clears things up.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Aug - 6:08

mikey_dragon wrote:Williams probably did provoke Trimble, but no excuse for a strike to the face,or was it head? Anyway, I think I dragged this off topic. I was simply fuelling the Ulster hates Liam Williams fire Wink, but I shouldn't have. I don't condone violence on the pitch and rate the rugby playing abilities of both players highly. I hope this clears things up.

You're right, mikey. Trimble shouldn't have reacted in the way he did. I wasn't defending Trimble's actions in any way. He deserved his card as much as Williams. In fact both were fortunate to get away with a yellow each. They have both moved on since then though, and in the right direction. That's my last word on the subject.

P.s I was well aware of what you were doing  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 14 Aug - 18:46

Englishman in NZ here. Just wanted to register my astonishment that Ireland are FIFTH favourites in the betting. To me Ireland look as good as any team. I can't see why you are still flying under the radar - do consecutive 6N championships not make any impression on the punters?

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 14 Aug - 18:54

Obviously not!

We have a good draw and a good team, but I can see why the 3 SH nations who have the best track record in the competition and the host nation are ahead of us in the betting. Thats smart betting, I think.

We also have the banana-skin of one game going against us and we face New Zealand in the quarter-finals- if we lose one game in our group or they lose one game in theirs. But if New Zealand and Ireland both win their pools we have to beat Argentina in the quarters, Australia/England in the semis and probably South Africa/New Zealand in the Final. Not impossible, but there's not many who would put us down as tournament favourites.

I'm happy enough that we won't have the pressure on us that those other four teams do. That could help us.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Fri 14 Aug - 19:53

Wi11 wrote:Englishman in NZ here. Just wanted to register my astonishment that Ireland are FIFTH favourites in the betting. To me Ireland look as good as any team. I can't see why you are still flying under the radar - do consecutive 6N championships not make any impression on the punters?

In fairness England have home advantage and have been neck and neck with Ireland, while the SH teams have the pedigree. I'm happy about that billing to be honest, whenever the pressure of expectation is on Ireland they tend to crumple like an accordion, (last 6N excluded). Prefer the underdog tag.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Aug - 20:05

Wi11 wrote:Englishman in NZ here. Just wanted to register my astonishment that Ireland are FIFTH favourites in the betting. To me Ireland look as good as any team. I can't see why you are still flying under the radar - do consecutive 6N championships not make any impression on the punters?

Clearly not. Anyway it is most likely because the world cup is a different animal and Ireland do not have a good record at world cups.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 14 Aug - 22:06

The 5/6N champions have only won the RWC once in history, so it is not a great indicator of RWC success.

Ireland have never reached the semi-finals, so effectively have never been in the top four at the RWC therefore fifth favourite is a reasonable reflection of their chances. The four teams that have won the Cup are ahead of Ireland, but both Wales and France have better records in the competition so it is arguable whether they should also be ahead.

Also Ireland have never beaten the All Blacks neither home nor away, so the bookies aren't far off the mark and if anything are probably giving the punter odds that (as usual) are weighted in their favour.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 14 Aug - 23:29

Anyone know what the official betting is? My work internet filter doesn't let me near Padraig Power. Crying or Very sad

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 14 Aug - 23:38

Biggest concern for Ireland are injuries. One match played and we've already one or two players gone. Healy is 50/50, Ruddock is gone, Sexton is injury prone as are a few others. All teams will pick up injuries but of the top 5 teams, Ireland and Australia can least afford them.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Aug - 23:55

profitius wrote: Biggest concern for Ireland are injuries. One match played and we've already one or two players gone. Healy is 50/50, Ruddock is gone, Sexton is injury prone as are a few others. All teams will pick up injuries but of the top 5 teams, Ireland and Australia can least afford them.

I actually don't agree - I think beyond NZ we are best equipped to deal with injuries because of the way Joe manages the squad system and gets each player to know the systems inside out, whether they are first or 3rd choice.

Sexton and O'Connell would be big losses but under Schmidt we've been consistent regardless of who has come in - I believe plans will be well in place for injury - the one big key is Mike Ross although most sides will suffer if they lose their first choice TH.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Sat 15 Aug - 0:03

rodders wrote:
profitius wrote: Biggest concern for Ireland are injuries. One match played and we've already one or two players gone. Healy is 50/50, Ruddock is gone, Sexton is injury prone as are a few others. All teams will pick up injuries but of the top 5 teams, Ireland and Australia can least afford them.

I actually don't agree - I think beyond NZ we are best equipped to deal with injuries because of the way Joe manages the squad system and gets each player to know the systems inside out, whether they are first or 3rd choice.

Sexton and O'Connell would be big losses but under Schmidt we've been consistent regardless of who has come in -  I believe plans will be well in place for injury - the one big key is Mike Ross although most sides will suffer if they lose their first choice TH.  

Definitely the biggest concern considering White will make his debut on Saturday, Bent is not a starting TH, Moore and Furlong both got injuries. Have Rodney ah Jaysus or Archer trained with the squad at all in pre-season?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 17 Aug - 19:58

What were peoples thoughts on France?

Looked a lot better and more organised than they have in a while.

I don't watch a huge amount of Top 14 but that 6-10 unit looks pretty class on paper. Hopefully St-Andre keeps tinkering with them.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Aug - 20:37

France looked pretty powerful and gave England a tough enough time at Twickenham. Speling(?) looked dangerous at the back too.

I wouldn't take them lightly at all but we must be believing we can win that group but so will they. Definitely not looking past them.

Not really convinced by England though. I think they have one or 2 big games in them but not the experience or leaders to win the competition.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 17 Aug - 20:52

Hard to judge France. They looked very good in parts but a bit clueless at times also. England were poor but still won so its hard to judge. We'll get a better idea in a few weeks.

Agree about England rodders. Lots of inexperience means things could go wrong at the WC. Hartley's absence means the lineout won't be as good.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Aug - 20:59

profitius wrote:Hard to judge France. They looked very good in parts but a bit clueless at times also. England were poor but still won so its hard to judge. We'll get a better idea in a few weeks.

Agree about England rodders. Lots of inexperience means things could go wrong at the WC. Hartley's absence means the lineout won't be as good.

Its practically impossible to tell how Ireland will do v France. The last 6 games have been won by less than a score or they were draws. I wouldnt bet on either side regardless of how bad France can be against other teams.

93 14-Feb-15 Aviva Stadium, Dublin 18 – 11 Ireland 2015 Six Nations Championship
92 15-Mar-14 Stade de France, Saint Denis 20 – 22 Ireland 2014 Six Nations Championship
91 09-Mar-13 Aviva Stadium, Dublin 13 – 13 Draw 2013 Six Nations Championship
90 04-Mar-12 Stade de France, Saint Denis 17 – 17 Draw 2012 Six Nations Championship
89 20-Aug-11 Aviva Stadium, Dublin 22 – 26 France 2011 Rugby World Cup warm up
88 13-Aug-11 Stade Chaban-Delmas, 19 – 12 France
87 13-Feb-11 Aviva Stadium, Dublin 22 – 25 France

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 17 Aug - 21:11

Can't see Ireland being realistically pushed by France.

That French pack was close to a 1.5 side right whereas Englands was more 2.5. They were dominant set piece yet still were so poor.

Should be comfortable for Ireland, even if say Sexton is injured.

I imagine France will put out a stronger side out vs. England next week so lets see how that goes.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 17 Aug - 21:13

GunsGerms wrote:

Its practically impossible to tell how Ireland will do v France.

Your boy Nigel will win it for you.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 17 Aug - 21:17

Thought I'd have a peek in here and it's interesting to see some Irish fans writing off England's chances.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 17 Aug - 21:20

England have serious problems in their lineout... I saw that their best hooker after Youngs was average a 84% success rate. That's dire.

and they make Youngs look like a demon thrower.

It means to secure ball, no back ball option so that limits England's disguise and chances of winning it in the middle/front.

The scrum with Corbs, Wilson, Atwood should have stablised but it didn't really.

As I said a few weeks ago, Hartley is a massive loss and one Lancaster will surely regret dropping.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 17 Aug - 21:52

Hartley couldn't go after missing the first game, too much of a risk. George will be a good back up to Youngs and if he brings this seasons Saracens form will be pushing for a start going forward.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon 17 Aug - 21:57

When Englands first choice pack is played its highly unluckely they will be bossed. I can't recall a time in the last 3-4 years that Englan have ever had a problem come scrum time.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Aug - 22:14

Cyril wrote:Thought I'd have a peek in here and it's interesting to see some Irish fans writing off England's chances.

I haven't written them off - they are definitely contenders and frontrunners but.... I look at the spine of their side and to me it doesn't look great.

Youngs, Robshaw, Wood, Ben Youngs, Haskell, Farrell/Ford, Brown are all fairly inexperienced and don't have much track record actually winning silverware and big games. I think that is why Lancaster and Farrell are so keen for Burgess to go.

Contrast to some of the other 'contenders', I think there is much more leadership and experience across the side in key positions:-

NZ:

Cole, Retallic, McCaw, Reid, Smith, Carter, Smith

SA:-

du Plessis ,Matfield,Pienaar, D Villers, Habana

Australia

Moore,Holwel ,Pocock, Hooper, Gitau, AAC, Falou

Ireland

Best, O'Connell, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Kearney
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon 17 Aug - 22:31

Cyril wrote:Thought I'd have a peek in here and it's interesting to see some Irish fans writing off England's chances.

I most certainly am not. I think England will beat anyone but New Zealand at home.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 17 Aug - 22:40

Marshes wrote:

I most certainly am not. I think England will beat anyone but New Zealand at home.

depends how Youngs can perform. He is so key now. Not just one off... Can he perform and stay fit for Aus, Wales, SF and Final?

England with 95% lineout success over the tournament (thats probably standard for tier 1 teams) and at most 1 scrum lost per game then I think you would be on the money.

But given all 3 hookers are running about 80-85% lineout rates and Youngs isn't renowned for being prolific in the set piece you can have all other positions sorted... but if you're hooker is not on form then you will never get any ball.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Aug - 22:42

Marshes wrote:

I most certainly am not. I think England will can beat anyone but New Zealand at home.

England lost to a fairly weak SA team in Twickenham in November so they arent unbeatable there.

I think being at home gives them a great chance to get to the final but both Wales and Australia have wins in England in the not too distant past so I wouldnt take anything for granted if I was backing the English.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon 17 Aug - 22:43

The42.ie and Murray Kinsella are raving about Madigan's performance against Scotland. Gave him a 9/10 in the player ratings and interview an his ascension into the RWC Squad.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 17 Aug - 22:49

fa0019 wrote:
Marshes wrote:

depends how Youngs can perform. He is so key now. Not just one off... Can he perform and stay fit for Aus, Wales, SF and Final?

England with 95% lineout success over the tournament (thats probably standard for tier 1 teams) and at most 1 scrum lost per game then I think you would be on the money.

But given all 3 hookers are running about 80-85% lineout rates and Youngs isn't renowned for being prolific in the set piece you can have all other positions sorted... but if you're hooker is not on form then you will never get any ball.

You got the full list of stats there fa? By my search ireland had 61 lineouts in the 6N winning 51. 84%.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Aug - 22:55

Marshes wrote:The42.ie and Murray Kinsella are raving about Madigan's performance against Scotland. Gave him a 9/10 in the player ratings and interview an his ascension into the RWC Squad.

And with respect to Murray, who is a bit of a genius with his anlaysis, I think he is wrong this time.

He missed a pretty easy place kick, as well as slipping off a couple of tackles - then did a restart straight to touch.

He was also standing far too deep to bring his outside backs into the game - something ROG was often guilty off late in his career - although Boss slow service may have been a factor.

The cross field kick to Fitzgerald was class but can't see Schmidt being happy with his all round game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon 17 Aug - 22:59

GunsGerms wrote:
Marshes wrote:

I most certainly am not. I think England will can beat anyone but New Zealand at home.

England lost to a fairly weak SA team in Twickenham in November so they arent unbeatable there.

I think being at home gives them a great chance to get to the final but both Wales and Australia have wins in England in the not too distant past so I wouldnt take anything for granted if I was backing the English.

I think they can beat anyone at home including NZ, I think they will beat all except NZ. Certainly I hope that is wrong and while they are plenty capable of slipping up at home, I think generally they can raise the intensity to the required pitch most times.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 17 Aug - 23:02

No 7&1/2 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
Marshes wrote:

You got the full list of stats there fa? By my search ireland had 61 lineouts in the 6N winning 51. 84%.

ESPN has them winning 56 out of 61 (92%) with 3 of their 5 losses going to Italy. The other 2 vs. England.

Take out the Italy game and they won 39 out of 41 or 95%.

SA in 2014 I don't think lost a single lineout with Flip vd Merwe if I recall. Could have been in the RC but I think it was the year.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon 17 Aug - 23:02

rodders wrote:
Marshes wrote:The42.ie and Murray Kinsella are raving about Madigan's performance against Scotland. Gave him a 9/10 in the player ratings and interview an his ascension into the RWC Squad.

And with respect to Murray, who is a bit of a genius with his anlaysis, I think he is wrong this time.

He missed a pretty easy place kick, as well as slipping off a couple of tackles - then did a restart straight to touch.

He was also standing far too deep to bring his outside backs into the game - something ROG was often guilty off late in his career - although Boss slow service may have been a factor.

The cross field kick to Fitzgerald was class but can't see Schmidt being happy with his all round game.  

Also involved in the Dave Kearney break leading up to the Zebo try, and gave the final pass to Zebo to skit over the line, but I agree aside from those and the kick for the Luke Fitz try, he was very hit and miss

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 17 Aug - 23:07

fa0019 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
Marshes wrote:

ESPN has them winning 56 out of 61 (92%) with 3 of their 5 losses going to Italy. The other 2 vs. England.

Take out the Italy game and they won 39 out of 41 or 95%.

SA in 2014 I don't think lost a single lineout with Flip vd Merwe if I recall. Could have been in the RC but I think it was the year.

And I got that stat from the official website. Funny thing stats.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 17 Aug - 23:33

The point some of us are making about England besides the lineout is that they're a young team and they're going to be under incredible pressure. Pressure that they've never experienced. All teams will be feeling it but you'd fancy the more experienced players to handle it better. When they meet Wales they might be in for a shock if they don't start well.

Re Madigan.
Madigan performed well I thought. Made one mistake but his passing was good and his decision making was also good. The cherry on the cake were they 2 tries he created. Without them Ireland looked like they might have lost.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 17 Aug - 23:45

profitius to be honest they've looked more than confident against us on the last two occasions. We looked the opposite, and we also looked disinterested at times. I hope with some new additions and more training together we'll fair better in the world cup.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 18 Aug - 0:36

rodders wrote:

All kickers miss kicks. His kicking is still better than Paddy Jackson's.

Madigan was Ireland's top tackler.

His botched restart was horrendous. Agree.

In my mind in a game of fine margins Ireland's win was down to Madigan's excellent creation of space and pass to Zebo and his cross field kick to Fitz.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue 18 Aug - 0:39

I don't think it's a hugely young team, of the team that were involved in 2011 you have Coles, Corbs, Wilson, Lawes, Haskell, Robshaw, Care, Youngs. Then add Ben Youngs, Wood, Marler, Mike Brown and Farrell with 30 caps + Launchbury and Morgan part of the team that spanked New Zealand in 2012. Rotation is to be expected when you have some many lads knocking on the door of the EPS.

Fair enough in a few positions they are relatively green and have been unsettled (I would say mainly on the wings and one centres) but Watson, Joseph, and Ford haven't shrunk away from the challenge and seem at home at this level.

Ireland will be much more experienced in some areas notably the lineout but lets be honest even with Best being as experienced as he is there are times the lineout can still malfunction

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 18 Aug - 0:40

GunsGerms wrote:
rodders wrote:

All kickers miss kicks. His kicking is still better than Paddy Jackson's.

Madigan was Ireland's top tackler.

His botched restart was horrendous. Agree.

In my mind in a game of fine margins Ireland's win was down to Madigan's excellent creation of space and pass to Zebo and his cross field kick to Fitz.

Zebo got MoM right? Thought he was a little lucky though. Lucky to not be sin binned for his trip tackle on Visser and his defence looked a little shaky, not necessarily his tackling but his positioning.  5 mins later he was under the posts.

Is he a starter?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Aug - 0:46

Guns Joe criticized his defense post game - saying he should have dominated the collisions more than he did.

He's a much better place kicker than Jackson no doubt but Jackson is much better at taking the ball to the line, varying his passing and creating space.

Madigan was not the reason we won, it was the strength of our bench that won it, and the quality of our backrow - Madigan and Boss were the reason we almost have lost though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue 18 Aug - 0:48

Also In fairness Zebo was out of position playing at 15 for the 1st time, stands to reasoning his positioning might need work. I thought SOB was MOM but Zebo wasn't far off.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next