The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 15. Let's get ready to crumble?...

+27
banbrotam
greengoblin
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
kemet
Danny_1982
CAS
It Must Be Love
Haddie-nuff
Matchpoint
Josiah Maiestas
LuvSports!
Jermaine2015
bogbrush
Henman Bill
summerblues
Belovedluckyboy
coolpixel
slashermcguirk
YvonneT
Jahu
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
HM Murdock
laverfan
temporary21
31 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

French Open Day 15.  Let's get ready to crumble?... Empty French Open Day 15. Let's get ready to crumble?...

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:28 am

You know what's on.  Roll up. Roll up

temporary21

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 15.  Let's get ready to crumble?... Empty Re: French Open Day 15. Let's get ready to crumble?...

Post by laverfan Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:09 am

We do not know (yet!) how it ends though. Fingers Crossed to Wawrinka and Djokovic. History will be made, whoever wins tomorrow!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 15.  Let's get ready to crumble?... Empty Re: French Open Day 15. Let's get ready to crumble?...

Post by HM Murdock Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:20 am

Marvellous thread title. clap

To my surprise and relief, I feel rather calm this morning and not the gibbering, hysterical wreck that the Murray match turned me into.

I think this early calm (because, let's be honest, there's little chance of it lasting) comes from thinking that Novak can do it but not minding too much if Stan wins.

The only way Stan wins is by redlining his game and bludgeoning winners for three sets. If he does that, I'll have no problems with the result.

The only thing I don't want is a Novak choke.

Hoping for good match.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:30 am

Djokovic's been serving next level this fortnight, and if he serves like that for one more day, he's got the career grand slam. Now off to find a corner to go console myself in. Imagine if Wawrinka has two grand slams, with wins over Nadal and Djokovic in finals on his ledger, though... He can do it, but I think Djokovic has earned this. Today Ahab catches the whale. Gollum gets the ring. Plankton finds the Krabby Patty formula, and Fringe Christian masons find the Holy Grail. Proof that if you believe, and are persistent, and have rivals who basically fall off the precipice... Anything is possible
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

I am genuinely hoping Novak wins as his dominance now merits the career slam. It will move him onto nine slam wins and he has been so close many times before at RG it would be cruel to see him deprived again. Barring wearing those shorts I have no ill-feeling to Stan and he has a chance but everything he tries must come off and he must hope nerves throttle parts of Djokovic's game such as serve at key moments. Djokovic to win in four for me.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:45 am

CC - Agree with the Djoko-in-four assessment. Unless Stan plays well it could be straight sets. Djoko's game is now at a level where opponents - and top three guys, at that - can play really good matches against him and still lose.
I was rather hoping that Rafa would win the French to stop Djoko getting the calendar slam. It's not that I'm anti Djoko but I'm not sure he should be regarded in the same light as Budge, Laver.
Still, if he does it, it will be well earned, an amazing feat and a little bit of history .

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:53 am

sirfredperry wrote:   I was rather hoping that Rafa would win the French to stop Djoko getting the calendar slam. It's not that I'm anti Djoko but I'm not sure he should be regarded in the same light as Budge, Laver.
Why do you say that?

I think his CYGS would be ahead of those two. Three of their four tournaments were on grass. As much as the "homogeneity" of the modern era gets lamented, the modern set of 4 slams is more diverse than Laver and Budge's eras.

Not that I think Djokovic will do the CYGS though.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:57 am

kingraf wrote:Djokovic's been serving next level this fortnight, and if he serves like that for one more day, he's got the career grand slam. Now off to find a corner to go console myself in. Imagine if Wawrinka has two grand slams, with wins over Nadal and Djokovic in finals on his ledger, though... He can do it, but I think Djokovic has earned this. Today Ahab catches the whale. Gollum gets the ring. Plankton finds the Krabby Patty formula, and Fringe Christian masons find the Holy Grail. Proof that if you believe, and are persistent, and have rivals who basically fall off the precipice... Anything is possible
It's fascinating to see the conflict between the part of you that likes sporting achievement and the (perhaps larger?) part of you that doesn't like Djoko. Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 07 Jun 2015, 9:12 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
kingraf wrote:Djokovic's been serving next level this fortnight, and if he serves like that for one more day, he's got the career grand slam. Now off to find a corner to go console myself in. Imagine if Wawrinka has two grand slams, with wins over Nadal and Djokovic in finals on his ledger, though... He can do it, but I think Djokovic has earned this. Today Ahab catches the whale. Gollum gets the ring. Plankton finds the Krabby Patty formula, and Fringe Christian masons find the Holy Grail. Proof that if you believe, and are persistent, and have rivals who basically fall off the precipice... Anything is possible
It's fascinating to see the conflict between the part of you that likes sporting achievement and the (perhaps larger?) part of you that doesn't like Djoko. Wink

I do like Djokovic. I just don't like watching him win Very Happy. His MTO at the beginning of the fourth set/end of third set in the 2011 USO final put me off him winning forever. Quite liked him until then. I do however like the narrative of his resilience in the face of some soul crushing defeats at a place which has historically shown no liking for him.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 07 Jun 2015, 9:47 am

As an aside, I see Wawrinka split from his wife six weeks ago. Makes rather large career leaps when he leaves her for whatever reason
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 10:00 am

Come on Stan, make us proud, save us all kiss
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sun 07 Jun 2015, 10:57 am

kingraf wrote:As an aside, I see Wawrinka split from his wife six weeks ago. Makes rather large career leaps when he leaves her for whatever reason
Wouldn't a Murray-Wawrinka final with "marriage works" on the line have been a far more interesting narrative than someone trying to complete a career slam. Ah well.

My support's with Djokovic today, it would be pretty rough to have beaten Nadal and then not get the title. Wouldn't mind if he lost his way for a while after acheiving that goal though!

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

Sometimes in this world in sport you have to hold your hands up and say: 'Too good.' That is where Novak is at just now. He is on a different level to every player and anyone saying he doesn't merit a career Grand Slam are kidding themselves. He has won the Australian Open five times (a great feat in itself), has reached two finals at Roland Garros to be denied by Rafa who he has beaten here this year, Wimbledon he has won twice beating Rafa and Roger in those finals and won the US Open once beating Rafa in the final. Figures like those say he merits the career slam.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 07 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm

Well said CC. Bring on the final, really hope Novak wins today but on the up side I really like wawrinkas game too. It just feels like this is novaks time, he has given so much at Rolland garros over the years and he has had to come through a very tough draw, Murray was playing inspired tennis and rafa is still a huge mental challenge regardless of his form being a bit off.

Come on Novak!!

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 07 Jun 2015, 12:10 pm

I didn't know Wawrinka had separated from his wife. Hats off to him for reaching. Slam final in the midst of all that wreckage happening in his life.

Btw I think only Nadal is unmarried in the current slam winners crop, isn't that so?

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

I'm not sure about giving him any credit... I think Rory McIlroy proved irrevocably last year that cannibalising your personal life is the easiest most secure way to reach your professional goals
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:05 pm

I don't think Stan can stop Novak. Having come so far, waited for so long, it's his time now to complete his career slam. It's his destiny.

One thing about Murray, why was he always losing the last set of his match against Novak in such lopsided manner? It's like he's just contented winning the fourth set! Maybe Murray is truly no match for Novak, for once Novak raised his level, Murray couldn't cope. It wasn't like that back in 2012/2013 where Murray could go toe to toe with Novak for five sets, now it seems Murray could no longer do that. So, after Fedal is gone, I'm afraid there's no one to stop Novak or at least make it possible that Novak may lose. We may be heading for another 2004-2007 kind of dominance, but do we see a young star ( like Rafa back then) acting like a spoiler for Novak?

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:08 pm

Nah, both Delpo and Cilic are also not married, unless they do so without announcing publicly.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:02 pm

Lets go Stannnnn, make History.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:07 pm

I expect easy straight sets for Novak.  They have played a number of 5-setters in slams recently but I think that also masks the fact that overall Nole tends to do quite well in their rivalry.

He is 16-1 in their last 17 matches, including many drubbings - such 6-3, 6-0 at WTF last year.

Nevertheless, good luck to Stan; hopefully he can prove me wrong.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:12 pm

Novak deserves this one for winning through the harder half of the draw (beating Rafa and Murray), the clay court form this year, the years of hard graft at Roland Garros, for being the player of the season so far, and for not persisting unnecessarily with ridiculous shorts.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:13 pm

Go Stan goook good luck baby.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:14 pm

I predict Novak in 3 as well (or 4 at most). I think he hasn't played his best in this tournament compared to the rest of the season, but perhaps will do so now. I think once he gets ahead in the match there may not be nerves this time. I think the ball will be kept too low and deep for Stan to do damage.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:17 pm

Great rally, keeo it up Stan, but get the winners in, dont grind.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:18 pm

Booooom.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:21 pm

Call be a stroll, Stan will get about 8/9 games at most.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:24 pm

Wow, some start to this match!! Serious ball striking early on

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:26 pm

Long rallies. Big hitting. Lovely

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:26 pm

Break him Stan, nowwww
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:32 pm

Djoko already playing brathless and slipping.

crush himmmm
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:34 pm

Nip and tuck. On serve 3-2.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:35 pm

coolpixel wrote:I didn't know Wawrinka had separated from his wife. Hats off to him for reaching. Slam final in the midst of all that wreckage happening in his life.

Btw I think only Nadal is unmarried in the current slam winners crop, isn't that so?
I hope that wasn't for career reasons. Those are the sort of things you regret in the grand scheme if things

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:37 pm

He has a daughter too, so he can get her mommy back anytime he wants, after he gets another 3 GS.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:39 pm

Sloppy stuff

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:40 pm

This break was coming - Stan has had to work harder on his serve - but the way he gave it up is disastrous.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:47 pm

first test of nerves coming up

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:49 pm

Eurosport and Mats joking around as to why Djoko is not loved, despite his good PR, not making a problem on disputed balls etc. still no Love.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:53 pm

Match a match of this at least stan

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:54 pm

Stan with superb 2 points.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:54 pm

Break himmmm
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:56 pm

Well that's match over.  Stan needed that first set to make this in anyway interesting

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:56 pm

Fairly uneventful first set.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:58 pm

Very good first set, just the one sloppy game from Stan cost him but Novak has put more pressure on his service games

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

Bad volley. You must expect that to come back

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:00 pm

Novak a third of the way to achieving the career grand slam today. Stan has to hang in there and cannot afford to offer up an early break here.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:01 pm

Brilliant 2 points from Stan at 40-15. The backhand on the spin while moving backwards is class.

Not much sign of nerves from Djokovic from serving it out, a little edgy, played it too safe perhaps on the high volley at 40-15, but definately no choke.

Stan playing reasonably nicely.

Could be a rather Federer-Soderling 09 feel about this match, where Federer had his toughest tasks earlier on in the tournament and the final felt routine.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:04 pm

A ridiculous call by the chair umpire robbed Wawrinka the break back in the first set. Wawrinka won the subsequent two points so it should've been 5-5.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:04 pm

Crucial hold for Stan that. He must try to hang in there ad stretch the match out and test whether three days on the bounce of play for Novak will take its toll or not. Also another thing he has to do .......................change those ruddy shorts. picard
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:07 pm

What ridiculous call? they went at looked at the mark, and it was out...?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:08 pm

Henman Bill wrote:What ridiculous call? they went at looked at the mark, and it was out...?

Hawkeye showed differently though.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next