The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight's Action

+15
kingraf
ShahenshahG
jimdig
Jermaine2015
sittingringside
BoxingFan88
Strongback
Pound-for-Pound
catchweight
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
Hands Of Stone
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
AlexHuckerby
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tonight's Action Empty Tonight's Action

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:07 am

Anyone watching? GGG is apparently ringside lol, closest he'll ever get to Cotto!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Tonight's Action Empty Re: Tonight's Action

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:08 am

Think Vasquez Jr. Got outhustled there by Vargas reckon there could be a dodgy decision coming

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:11 am

Upset there. Vargas done him. Vasquez is finished surely.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Jun 2015, 4:08 am

Geale stopped in the 4th big left hooks.

Irrefutable proof GGG is better, he KOed him in round 3, poor stuff :P

Cotto looked sharp, didn't make any real mistakes was very nice.

Don't think many expected him to take Geale out that easy. Catch weight leaves a bad taste though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:36 am

Yeh leaves a sour taste in my mouth that. GGG fought him as a middleweight champion so he could come in at the weight he has been fighting at for a large amount of years now.

Cotto drains him, he struggled to make weight, he even said it himself as did roach.

Writing was on the wall for this one ever since to weight stipulation

Soon as his dehydrated him was hit with a nice strong fresh shot, he was always going to go down.

Shame really be ash at the actual weight limit Geale would have been a handful

Roach and Cotto are turning this sport in its heard and making it damn ugly and unfair.

Summed up by their comments last week about how if ANYONE wanted to fight Cotto for the title, it would be at a weight THEY dictate....if not..then no fight.

End of the day, if you can fight at the proper weight you should never be regarded as a Champion there.....period

GGG at 160 would smother him, bully him, hurt him and end his career

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 07 Jun 2015, 10:10 am

I agree with all the frustration at the weight stipulations and with cotto's attitude and treatment of the belt. It sucks. However, there is a lot of supposition in that post moby. We've no idea what difference it made to the outcome. It might have been an identical fight at 160.

But that's the big problem with these catchweights, we genuinely don't know to what degree they impacted the results. We assume the guy was a bit weaker, but we don't know how much. Cotto might have battered him anyway. So, these results all come with a 'what if' caveat...

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 07 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

He did what he needed to do but i dont know any fights where the fighter who has the negative side if the catchweight hasnt looked particularly weaker then the smaller fighter

Facts are that Geale usually comes in at 159 or 160 on weigh ins, he is quite a tight middleweight at weigh ins. Factor in that hes 34, had a long career and recently got wiped out by golovkin, its hard to adsume it didnt take quite a bit out of him

Bring on Canelo Cotto, think thats a great fighr but i think Canelos size will overhwelm cottos experiance

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 07 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm

Something doesn't smell right about Cotto dispatching Geale so easily, he's a good puncher not a great puncher who at one point was unable to dent Mosley, Margarito, Pacquiao, Trout or even Mayweather despite landing clean against all of them.

It could just be that two drained and shot fighters have made him look better than he actually is in recent times, prior to the Martinez fight I wouldn't have given him a chance against Geale for instance.

His career path in the years proceeding the first Margarito fight make no sense.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:00 pm

Some top fighters never got the chance to bag a middleweight belt....

Well done Cotto for not letting that useless Aussie turd become a three time champion and make Boxing look even more of a laughing stock...

Now sling it back to Aus and put another shrimp on the barbie..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:05 pm

It was well documented how tight at the weight Geale was. He looked weak in there. Cotto landed a body shot almost from the off and it had Geale wincing. Almost every shot Geale took bothered him. Having said that, Cotto looked pretty sharp.

In the post fight interview Cotto was asked if he considered himself a middleweight and the answer was a no. I dont think he will ever defend the belt at the middleweight limit. I guess if Golovkin does get a crack at the winner of Cotto/Alvarez they will be looking to drain him down to 157 or 156 lbs where Alvarez and Cotto can make the weight but most other middleweights will struggle.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:09 pm

Geale is crap............Doesn't matter If he came in at 175..............and half decent fighter beats him...

If Barker beat him anyone can..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:11 pm

GGG is probably small enough at MW to do 157/158 pretty comfortably, he has said in the past that he can make 154.
How the hell did HBO unofficially weigh Geale at over 180 on fight night? How do you legally and safely (although it probably wasn't tbf) drain and gain that much weight?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

They weighed Geale when he was fully clothed. Kind of pointless.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:18 pm

Strange how GGG will suddenly be drained if he's 'made' to weigh in lower against Cotto and Alvarez, all his biggest fans have been saying how easily he could make 154lbs as an excuse for him not moving up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 07 Jun 2015, 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Geale is crap............Doesn't matter If he came in at 175..............and half decent fighter beats him...

If Barker beat him anyone can..

Have to agree this fight was more about Geale being crap than anything Cotto did.  

It would be too covienient for people to forget how talented a fighter Cotto really is. Possibly a Top 5 P4P talent of his generation.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:12 pm

The weight was significant. Geale struggled big time to make it. Cotto hurt him with every punch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 07 Jun 2015, 3:23 pm

Why is it that three of the top fighters in the world have performed at their best when not having to work to make weight? Pac and Floyd at welter were the elite and Cotto at middle is having a serious career resurgence. Even Marquez, after moving up to welter showed new found speed and power.
GGG when he used to get in the ring at around 166 was terrifying, now he weighs in over 170+ he is still a monster but looks more beatable.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 4:00 pm

Was Cotto that good or was the catchweight the reason for such a dominant victory?

If so then serious question marks need to be raised over:

Cotto Vs Pacquiao
Mayweather Vs Alvarez

I didn't expect Cotto to finish Geale with one shot, if you asked me that prior to the Martinez fight I would have called you crazy

On a side note, massive props to Freddie Roach who has reinvented Cotto

If Khan ends up facing Cotto, he will get whooped and Roach will enjoy every minute of it. Fair play if Khan goes for it though

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 07 Jun 2015, 4:15 pm

Clear need for a super junior middleweight division.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 4:20 pm

Anyone see Robert Guerrero's comeback fight? He was dreadful against a game journeyman. Guerrero was dropped and badly hurt. After the beat down from Keith Thurman, it looks like Guerrero has nothing left. Time to retire as he could get badly hurt.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:04 pm

sittingringside wrote:Clear need for a super junior middleweight division.

hahahaha

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:05 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Anyone see Robert Guerrero's comeback fight? He was dreadful against a game journeyman. Guerrero was dropped and badly hurt. After the beat down from Keith Thurman, it looks like Guerrero has nothing left. Time to retire as he could get badly hurt.

Yeah I saw it, didn't think the shot he took was that bad tbh, but the effect it had was huge.

He is talking about big money fights, I would rather he got out with his health intact, he isn't big enough for the welterweights, should have stayed in the lower divisions...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:08 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:Anyone see Robert Guerrero's comeback fight? He was dreadful against a game journeyman. Guerrero was dropped and badly hurt. After the beat down from Keith Thurman, it looks like Guerrero has nothing left. Time to retire as he could get badly hurt.

Yeah I saw it, didn't think the shot he took was that bad tbh, but the effect it had was huge.

He is talking about big money fights, I would rather he got out with his health intact, he isn't big enough for the welterweights, should have stayed in the lower divisions...
I think he should try and move down to light welterweight

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:20 pm

Pound-for-Pound wrote:Why is it that three of the top fighters in the world have performed at their best when not having to work to make weight? Pac and Floyd at welter were the elite and Cotto at middle is having a serious career resurgence. Even Marquez, after moving up to welter showed new found speed and power.
GGG when he used to get in the ring at around 166 was terrifying, now he weighs in over 170+ he is still a monster but looks more beatable.

Been a few debates on here recently re the effect of boiling down. Certainly an argument that guys like froch and mayweather who don't blow up or down seem consistently sharp.

The potential negative effects apply to any fighter who boils down of course not just those doing it in catchweights. Most fights are between guys where both have boiled down... But one might have had to work harder to do it. There's a feeling that the rewards generally outweigh the risks but certainly in some cases it's obviously not the case.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 07 Jun 2015, 10:26 pm

Pity about the catchweight, as others have said the win comes with an astrix. Geale looked a bit fleshy, thought he would have looked leaner under the circumstances. I thought the fight looked like a world class welterweight against a domestic level middle. Cotto's movement was too much for geale, he was punching air, couldn't get set, and just kept getting tagged. Cotto was fast, fluid and powerful. I'd like the fight was a case of levels, but in reality you just can't tell because of the stupid catchweight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 10:48 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Pound-for-Pound wrote:Why is it that three of the top fighters in the world have performed at their best when not having to work to make weight? Pac and Floyd at welter were the elite and Cotto at middle is having a serious career resurgence. Even Marquez, after moving up to welter showed new found speed and power.

Been a few debates on here recently re the effect of boiling down. Certainly an argument that guys like froch and mayweather who don't blow up or down seem consistently sharp.

The potential negative effects apply to any fighter who boils down of course not just those doing it in catchweights. Most fights are between guys where both have boiled down... But one might have had to work harder to do it. There's a feeling that the rewards generally outweigh the risks but certainly in some cases it's obviously not the case.

Chad Dawson is an example, when he went to super middleweight he looked awful.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:44 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

Chad Dawson is an example, when he went to super middleweight he looked awful.

What Ward got it his own way??

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:47 am

Actually it was Dawson who insisted on fighting at the smw limit

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:53 am

He then came out after saying HBO put pressure on him to take the fight or his next fight wouldn't be on HBO so he had to take it at 168. Or at least that's what I remember him rumbling about

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:56 am

The middleweight division is a microism for most of things wrong with boxing. Its a shambles.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Jun 2015, 1:03 am

Annoying as there's some fun players in there, Korobov could still do something, Lee, Quillin, Canelo kinda, Cotto kinda, GGG, Lemeiux and NDam

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:28 am

Just caught this. Geale was ready to drop from the first punch really. Cotto may be better at 160 (or 157?) than I first thought. He's a prickly, annoying smurf of a man, but there's no doubt that since he joined Roach, he's been catching bodies. Whether this is because they are asterisked bodies is another matter. Given the way Canelo forced past a game and powerful Kirkland, I'm not sure Cotto's power in and of itself will see him through... but maybe it's more of factor than it looked at first glance.

From here, the best thing for all parties is a Cinco de Mayo clash with Canelo, with GGG on as main support. The winner faces GGG on the next related Puerto/Mexican fighting holiday. Would be a license to print money for all involved, except the loser of Canelo-Cotto.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 08 Jun 2015, 7:36 am

Geale looks to be finished at world level now. That butt coupled with the left hook took what little he had left out of him.

Like the way Cotto dithered when Kellerman ask him about GGG Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 9:04 am

I’m a passenger on the ‘Cotto is a diva and needs to stop with all this catchweight stuff’ train, but fair’s fair. He looked a million dollars in there and I think he deserves at least some credit for that.

Geale didn’t look too hot but while the weight was likely some kind of issue I think it was exacerbated by how in-form Cotto was. Geale tried to press him and tried to score with the jab but Cotto controlled and dictated the range of the fight beautifully with his footwork and some of his defensive moves were great, too. I can’t remember too many fights where he’s worked that smart little turn to create an angle for himself to reset and counter when his opponent has been throwing before, or where his head movement has been so sharp.

As a side note, since when did Roach improve his fighter’s defensive moves!? Usually the other way round.

I admit that Geale looked more fragile to the body than I expected and like everyone else I’ll accept that it’s impossible to airbrush the catchweight out of the equation on that front, but Cotto outclassed him to the point where you’d have to say there’s no way it was down to the catchweight on its own. Geale’s not from the highest bracket and the hammering from Golovkin did make him an opportune opponent for Cotto but Miguel still has to get a few brownie points for this, in my eyes.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:05 pm

I recall cotto before the martinez fight saying how strong he felt at middle. But he's practically coming in at light middle anyway... where he'd looked like a man on the slide previously.

Roach,  'improved nutrition and training regime', two opponents so stuffed they just made him look sharp? It's hard to say really.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Jun 2015, 1:04 pm

Combination of Cotto being ultra sharp and opponents being on the slide highlighted it more. Geale, 34 just been n KOed hard, weight drained, but Cotto was so natural in there. All his defensive moves were bang on, pulling away from danger fantastically.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm

Unsurprisingly transparent Floyd-centric post from Truss... Rolling Eyes

Stupid & ridiculous fight. A 154 lb fighter fighting a 160lb fighter at a 157 lb catchweight for a 160lb strap.

Cotto won't fight at 160, so let GGG call his bluff and come down to 156/157, don't see why he shouldn't be able to as he's made that noise ref Floyd plenty of times in the past.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Unsurprisingly transparent Floyd-centric post from Truss... Rolling Eyes

Stupid & ridiculous fight.  A 154 lb fighter fighting a 160lb fighter at a 157 lb catchweight for a 160lb strap.

Cotto won't fight at 160, so let GGG call his bluff and come down to 156/157, don't see why he shouldn't be able to as he's made that noise ref Floyd plenty of times in the past.

GGG will be too busy fighting stiffs to call his bluff.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 2:41 pm

Yeh, he should just take your advice and pay his entire purse to blackmail one of the N American mugs that's running from him currently to actually get in the ring.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 2:43 pm

When did I say that ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 2:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:When did I say that ??

I quoted you before (something you're never able to do with me, funnily enough...), don't make me embarass you again.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 08 Jun 2015, 2:46 pm

You two having the same argument again?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 2:46 pm

You won't be able to quote me because I know the post you mean....

I said he should do a "loss leader"..............Only to a complete idiot.. would that mean give his whole purse away....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 3:08 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You two having the same argument again?

Bascally, yeh.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 3:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You won't be able to quote me because I know the post you mean....

I said he should do a "loss leader"..............Only to a complete idiot.. would that mean give his whole purse away....

And as I said then, his entire fight purses have been less than or roughly similar to the amount of money Yanks etc are turning down.

Ergo, the only way he could 'loss leader' with as significant amount of $$$ as is required is to give away almost the entirety of his purse.

Doubt saying 90% to the winner would help either.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 3:51 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You won't be able to quote me because I know the post you mean....

And as I said then, his entire fight purses have been less than or roughly similar to the amount of money Yanks etc are turning down.

Ergo, the only way he could 'loss leader' with as significant amount of $$$ as is required is to give away almost the entirety of his purse.

Bit different from "He should take your advice and give his whole purse away" like you posted above...

You amuse me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Bit different from "He should take your advice and give his whole purse away" like you posted above...

You amuse me..

How's it different? Says exactly the same thing. To do what you want him to do he has to give pretty much his whole purse away. Which is why you fail to defend it the 3-4 times I've posted this now.

Once again, a truck is driven clean through (one of) the wholes in your argument....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 4:09 pm

Do you really need me to tell you how it's different ??..... Rolling Eyes

It's all very familiar.......

1. You lie....

2. I put you straight...

3. You try to change the argument.......

Leave it out !! Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 4:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Do you really need me to tell you how it's different ??..... Rolling Eyes

It's all very familiar.......

1. You lie....

2. I put you straight...

3. You try to change the argument.......

Leave it out !! Rolling Eyes

Point out when any of 1 to 3 occurred, you delusional painfully stupid typically ignorant hysterically transparent hypocritical Yank dumbass.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 4:26 pm

Okay...Let's leave it........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next