The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nigel Benn's Australian life

+9
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
Atila
Nico the gman
Pedro147
CallMeBenji
milkyboy
88Chris05
dandavies
13 posters

Go down

Nigel Benn's Australian life Empty Nigel Benn's Australian life

Post by dandavies Wed 10 Jun 2015, 10:26 am

Thought id post an article ive just seen on Nigel Benn and the work hes been doing in Australia.

Always liked him and its great to see what hes giving back to the sport.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jun/10/nigel-benn-interview-therapy-for-rage

dandavies

Back to top Go down

Nigel Benn's Australian life Empty Re: Nigel Benn's Australian life

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:22 pm

Always good to see retired fighters happy, enjoying life and putting a bit back in to the sport in some way having kept their money and faculties. Hope it continues for Benn and thanks for posting this piece, mate.

Appreciate Benn's personality rubs (or rubbed I should say, as he's mellowed a bit in middle age it seems) some people up the wrong way but at least he's never been dull. Anyone else ever read his autobiography? It was written in the late nineties when he was going through a bit of a more troublesome time evidently, trying to fill the void that retirement left and yet to get rid of that 'Devil's right hand man' attitude. Not a particularly great book but good for a bit of a laugh as Benn basically says he's going to lamp X, Y and Z whenever he next runs in to them!

"Yeah, Prince Naz gets brave talking about me when I'm not around, but if he says anything to my face when I next see him I'll turn that boy inside out."

"Yeah, me and Michael (Watson) used to be cool, but he and his people have accused me of doing coke, so I'm done with them all now. If I see his handlers out and about, they'd better run for cover."

"Yeah, me and Eubank aren't enemies anymore, but he's a weird bloke and I don't like his pompous attitude. If he gets lippy with me again I'll think nothing of resuming the old rivalry and giving him a hiding."

Angry young man was our Nige!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by dandavies Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:32 pm

Hes certainly mellowed somewhat!

Not read the book but might have to seems like it could be quite entertaining, he really was a fearsome puncher in his prime and looks in great shape still.

I wonder if his son will have the same sort of tenacity as Nigel il be keeping my eyes on him for sure.

dandavies

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:33 pm

If he wanted to give something back to the sport, lamping naz would have hit the spot for most people.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:37 pm

milkyboy wrote:If he wanted to give something back to the sport, lamping naz would have hit the spot for most people.

Would Benn's power carry up to Super-Heavyweight now though, milky?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:43 pm

If anybody wants to see how "in shape" Nige is then they should try and find the video of him on the pads recently with Ricky Hatton. He's still got some pop in those punches !

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:46 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:If he wanted to give something back to the sport, lamping naz would have hit the spot for most people.

Would Benn's power carry up to Super-Heavyweight now though, milky?

Good question. Can't think of a better way to find out.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:53 pm

CallMeBenji wrote:If anybody wants to see how "in shape" Nige is then they should try and find the video of him on the pads recently with Ricky Hatton. He's still got some pop in those punches !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTU-OmY-rk

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 10 Jun 2015, 4:10 pm

My mates were in a nightclub when Benn was doing some DJ work, they approached him, told them if they want to talk about music great, but talking about boxing totally bored him, they said he was pretty sound, strange one coming from an ex boxer.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 10 Jun 2015, 4:19 pm

Nico the gman wrote:My mates were in a nightclub when Benn was doing some DJ work, they approached him, told them if they want to talk about music great, but talking about boxing totally bored him, they said he was pretty sound, strange one coming from an ex boxer.
Not that strange that he didn't want to talk boxing. I'd imagine that it must be very tiring boxing fans coming up to him asking him the same questions over and over again.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 10 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

Atila wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:My mates were in a nightclub when Benn was doing some DJ work, they approached him, told them if they want to talk about music great, but talking about boxing totally bored him, they said he was pretty sound, strange one coming from an ex boxer.
Not that strange that he didn't want to talk boxing. I'd imagine that it must be very tiring boxing fans coming up to him asking him the same questions over and over again.
Depends who you are, Alex Arthur approached my brother ( both strangers to each other) and all he wanted to talk about was boxing, Hatton was the same.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by dandavies Wed 10 Jun 2015, 4:48 pm

I could imagine the constant posing for photos with a clenched fist must get tiresome, or when someone gestures to a boxer by shadow boxing that would really get on my jubblies.

dandavies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Jun 2015, 5:56 pm

dandavies...word of advice mate, do NOT under any circumstances read Nigel's book. It's bollox and this comes from an unashamed Benn fan. Basically a lot of talk about bashing people up and shagging women. There's hardly any talk about his mindset before during and after his fights just that he "smashed the granny out of them"

It was a labour of love/matter of pride/absolute f*cking chore to finish reading it

Mind you, it's not a poor as "War, baby!"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Jun 2015, 6:21 pm

You don't know him but he's a nice guy....You don't know Froch and he's an a-hole....

Wasn't Benn best mates with the drug pushing thugs known as the Essex boys ??

I prefer Eubank....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

No-one knows you TRUSSNUTS but you can be an bumhole...no, really!

Big fan of Benn as a fighter, post retirement he became a bit of a plank culminating in him doing the dirty on his missus (you and him could be kindred spirits) then he found God and sought to make amends. His journey to see G-Man was touching although it's something that didn't really need to be a documentary if I'm honest. Glad he's found something to occupy his time as many ex-fighters struggle with the lack of purpose once their career ends. I like that he and Eubank have become closer as they've got older and would love to see them as a couple of grouchy old 80 year olds hanging out together and still making a nuisance of themselves.

As for benn being friends with drug dealers, I find it amusing you can lambast him for it when you're a Mayweather fan... if ever there was a wannabe gangster, it's FLONUTS

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 11 Jun 2015, 11:51 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't know him but he's a nice guy....You don't know Froch and he's an a-hole....

I prefer Eubank....

Spot on

and to add Benn and advisor Mendy used to attend dirty orgies in his hay day. Some of these orgies saw Benn dressed in nothing but a g string pouring champs all over scantly clad women. These sordid affairs have turned me off Benn.

Apparently he had a thing for mix race girls.

dirty, dirty boy.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Jun 2015, 11:58 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't know him but he's a nice guy....You don't know Froch and he's an a-hole....

I prefer Eubank....

Spot on

and to add Benn and advisor Mendy used to attend dirty orgies in his hay day. Some of these orgies saw Benn dressed in nothing but a g string pouring champs all over scantly clad women. These sordid affairs have turned me off Benn.

dirty, dirty boy.
Racist...and it's "heyday" not "hay day".

As for being at an orgy wearing nothing but a G-string A/ TRUSS calls that a normal evening at home and B/ Benn would look f*cking weird at an orgy wearing a three piece suit, an overcoat and trilby, wouldn't he? Why the hell am I asking you, orgies are about people having sex and obviously ONETWO has no understanding of this...sorry pal, still being breastfed by your mum doesn't count.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

I prefer Eubank....

Spot on

dirty, dirty boy.

As for being at an orgy wearing nothing but a G-string A/ TRUSS calls that a normal evening at home and B/ Benn would look f*cking weird at an orgy wearing a three piece suit, an overcoat and trilby, wouldn't he? Why the hell am I asking you, orgies are about people having sex and obviously ONETWO has no understanding of this...sorry pal, still being breastfed by your mum doesn't count.

If only that was true alas I know everything there is to know about S.E.X and I am quite the expert I might add.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:54 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

I prefer Eubank....

Spot on

dirty, dirty boy.

If only that was true alas I know everything there is to know about S.E.X and I am quite the expert I might add.

Strangest post I've ever seen.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:No-one knows you TRUSSNUTS but you can be an bumhole...no, really!

Big fan of Benn as a fighter, post retirement he became a bit of a plank culminating in him doing the dirty on his missus (you and him could be kindred spirits) then he found God and sought to make amends.  His journey to see G-Man was touching although it's something that didn't really need to be a documentary if I'm honest.  Glad he's found something to occupy his time as many ex-fighters struggle with the lack of purpose once their career ends.  I like that he and Eubank have become closer as they've got older and would love to see them as a couple of grouchy old 80 year olds hanging out together and still making a nuisance of themselves.

As for benn being friends with drug dealers, I find it amusing you can lambast him for it when you're a Mayweather fan... if ever there was a wannabe gangster, it's FLONUTS

The last two lines are as low as it gets..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:No-one knows you TRUSSNUTS but you can be an bumhole...no, really!

Big fan of Benn as a fighter, post retirement he became a bit of a plank culminating in him doing the dirty on his missus (you and him could be kindred spirits) then he found God and sought to make amends.  His journey to see G-Man was touching although it's something that didn't really need to be a documentary if I'm honest.  Glad he's found something to occupy his time as many ex-fighters struggle with the lack of purpose once their career ends.  I like that he and Eubank have become closer as they've got older and would love to see them as a couple of grouchy old 80 year olds hanging out together and still making a nuisance of themselves.

The last two lines are as low as it gets..
S'alright mate, if you want to admire a man who served time for beating women, who may even be indicted for threatening another women with a gun and other unsavoury activities then you go right ahead. We conceded to moral high ground to you quite a number of years ago

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:00 pm

I don't admire him as a man....

If I did it means I should condone the behaviour of coke dealing scum who bring nothing but misery to Peoples lives...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:23 pm

Don Curry was hardly whiter than white either.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:30 pm

Yep....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yep....

Don't see you rubbishing "The Don"............

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

Because I'm a fan of the fighter as I am with Mayweather..

This thread is about Benn the man...not the fighter !!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Because I'm a fan of the fighter as I am with Mayweather..

This thread is about Benn the man...not the fighter !!..

Weird considering you posted this on the snooker section about Ronnie O'Sullivan...

While I have certain favorites...If they lose...well I'll enjoy the snooker left on offer!!!

I'm not sure how anyone can admire a petulant, spoilt guy that has constantly derided the game that has made him a multi-millionnaire but fairplay If you do!!!

Which beggars the question..

Are Ronnie fans..snooker fans?????????

So if you're a fan of a boxer who beat up women on front of his children, turned down tougher fights for more money and pistol whips women.... Are you a fan of boxing?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by dandavies Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:05 pm

How can you dislike a man who seems to have turned his life around?

Whatever his past he is now seemingly in a better place and giving back to boxing.

not much to despise there!

dandavies

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

"Yeah, me and Eubank aren't enemies anymore, but he's a weird bloke "

This reminds me of reading haz talking about truss or hammy as being rude,  stubborn and argumentative. He may have a point but its a little rich coming from him. Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:14 pm

I'm a boxing fan and Mayweather and Curry didn't p**s all over the sport....Regularly biting the hand that fed them like Ronnie boy..

That's about the fifth time you've posted that..

What's next the "Ban Trussman now please" article that lasted two minutes ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm a boxing fan and Mayweather and Curry didn't p**s all over the sport....Regularly biting the hand that fed them like Ronnie boy..

That's about the fifth time you've posted that..

What's next the "Ban Trussman now please" article that lasted two minutes ??

I keep posting it because you keep mentioning you only support the fighter and not the man despite clearing saying different. As long as you continue to condradict yourself I'll post it.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:23 pm

I'm a boxing fan If someone kept running Boxing down like he runs down his sport...

Then of course I take issue..

Now give us a kiss !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 11 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm

milkyboy wrote:"Yeah, me and Eubank aren't enemies anymore, but he's a weird bloke "

This reminds me of reading haz talking about truss or hammy as being rude,  stubborn and argumentative. He may have a point but its a little rich coming from him. Wink

Meow!

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Jun 2015, 5:25 pm

Not sure what the issue is really as a lot of people meeting Eubank would come away with the impression that he's unique/eccentric/a bit weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm

Don't think I was disputing that Dave:

Eubank weird. Benn deranged. That was my point.

Even in mr nice guy mode, there's a sense that he's a little flick of the switch away from extreme violence. I'd think twice about criticising his grass mowing if I was the 80 year old granny who's his new best friend.

Despite the above, credit to the guy for trying to change his ways. Hope its successful.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Jun 2015, 7:35 am

superflyweight wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

I prefer Eubank....

Spot on

dirty, dirty boy.

Strangest post I've ever seen.  

Not a claim to be made lightly round here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Jun 2015, 7:37 am

I met Nigel briefly at one of these evening with events the other week. He does genuinely come across at totally at peace with himself at the minute and genuinely happy. Good luck to him, decent fighter in his day and always a good watch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

Think I was at the same event rowley. When I spoke to Nigel he seemed more animated: "where's that fackin porker who bored me fackin silly 'bart charley fackin burley? I'm gonna smash the fackin granny art af him."

You had a narrow escape my friend.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:51 am

Glad to hear that Benn appears to sorted himself out.

While he was an exciting fighter, his performances were always tainted for me by the fact I actually knew him as a younger man. A good friend who was a distant cousin of his, as well as a classmate was the subject of merciless bullying. This continued into young adulthood and I did have a few confrontations with Benn in Ilford and Romford pubs.

But people do grow up eventually, well usually, and as I said at the top glad he has sorted himself out.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:59 am

milkyboy wrote:Think I was at the same event rowley. When I spoke to Nigel he seemed more animated: "where's that fackin porker who bored me fackin silly 'bart charley fackin burley? I'm gonna smash the fackin granny art af him."

He had the lucky escape, he's an old man now

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 12 Jun 2015, 10:40 am

Rowley wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Think I was at the same event rowley. When I spoke to Nigel he seemed more animated: "where's that fackin porker who bored me fackin silly 'bart charley fackin burley? I'm gonna smash the fackin granny art af him."

To be fair rowley, he was muttering under his breath out of ear shot of you. False bravado. Must have sensed you had his measure.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 12 Jun 2015, 10:46 am

LondonTiger wrote:Glad to hear that Benn appears to sorted himself out.

While he was an exciting fighter, his performances were always tainted for me by the fact I actually knew him as a younger man. A good friend who was a distant cousin of his, as well as a classmate was the subject of merciless bullying. This continued into young adulthood and I did have a few confrontations with Benn in Ilford and Romford pubs.

But people do grow up eventually, well usually, and as I said at the top glad he has sorted himself out.

Note to self. London tiger must be a bit tasty, mustn't get too lippy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 2:25 pm

"A shrimp on the barbie me ole cobba !!" ....

"Who u callin a shrimp ?????"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Jun 2015, 2:28 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Rowley wrote:

To be fair rowley, he was muttering under his breath out of ear shot of you. False bravado. Must have sensed you had his measure.

Just to play safe and on the off chance he is reading this I'm only joking, he still looks f*cking nails. He nearly broke my hand just shaking hands.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 13 Jun 2015, 3:25 pm

You p*ssy rowley. Benn doesn't frighten me. If he wants to sort out any grievance Mano a Mano, he can come knocking whenever he wants... He can walk into any bar in tring and ask for the athlete.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down