The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History...

+5
RanjitPatel
Adam D
hazharrison
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History... Empty The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

In my humble opinion.....

1. FRAZIER vs Ali
2. ALI vs Foreman
3. SCHMELLING vs Louis
4. FOREMAN vs Frazier
5. DOUGLAS vs Tyson
6. BOWE vs Holyfield
7. FITZSIMMONS vs Corbett
8. SPINKS vs Holmes
9. TUNNEY vs Dempsey
10. ALI vs Liston
11. LANGFORD vs Wills
12. WILLARD vs Johnson
13. BRADDOCK vs Baer
14. SANDERS vs Klitscho
15. HOLMES vs Norton
16. HOLYFIELD vs Tyson
17. CORBETT vs Sullivan
18. LEWIS vs Holyfield
19. COETZEE vs Dokes
20. BURNS vs Hart

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History... Empty Re: The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History...

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:37 am

Louis vs Schmelling 2
Marciano vs Walcott (that punch)
Johnson vs Burns (first black champ)
Tyson vs Spinks

Good list Truss, not saying these should be top 20, but a few more that could be considered.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History... Empty Re: The Twenty Greatest Wins In Heavyweight History...

Post by hazharrison Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:43 am

I'd have Bowe over Holyfield higher: Schmeling over Louis and Douglas over Tyson are wins that come with caveats (Louis had only been a pro two years and Tyson was a mess).

I'd have Langford over Wills higher; Holyfield over Bowe should figure and Louis over Schmeling looks a glaring omission. Marciano over Charles was a great win as was Walcott over Ezzard and how about Foreman over Moorer? Liston over Patterson? Patterson over Johansson?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:44 am

Tyson vs Spinks is a great call.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:46 am

Spinks vs Ali?

Ali was past it but Spinks was a novice.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:46 am

Should have been more specific..............Tried to base it on quality of the champion, overall performance and historical impact....

Schmelling had lost to Sharkey coming in to Louis...

Marciano was being outboxed....

Burns was a midget...

Spinks... well......

I see where you are coming though mate....Appreciate the contribution..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:16 am

I would have Ali vs Liston right up there with Foreman

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:17 am

I think you have a point there...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:46 am

I think the third Ali vs Frazier fight should be considered too.

Great list.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:49 am

Adam D wrote:I think the third Ali vs Frazier fight should be considered too.

Great list.

It was considered mate....Maybe it belongs I don't know...probably...I have Baer-Braddock on there and whilst Braddy was the second biggest underdog in history....Baer did clown it away.....It does get weak at the end of the list with Coetzee - Dokes on there etc..

Certainly the greatest heavy fight of alltime..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:54 am

What about Johnson v Jeffries?
Jeffries coming back after a 6 year retirement to try to take the title back for the white man and failing. The fight of the century and the racial hatred at the time gives this fight huge historical significance.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:58 am

RanjitPatel wrote:What about Johnson v Jeffries?
Jeffries coming back after a 6 year retirement to try to take the title back for the white man and failing. The fight of the century and the racial hatred at the time gives this fight huge historical significance.

Another cracker (the pick not Jeffries).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:59 am

Yeah Johnson vs Jeffries is a great shout.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:05 am

hazharrison wrote:
RanjitPatel wrote:What about Johnson v Jeffries?

Another cracker (the pick not Jeffries).

Not really sure what was great about beating Jeffries...at that time..

It's not an article about the twenty most historic wins...

It's about challengers beating quality champions or vice versa...........Jeffries was old and fat....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:10 am

In that case a Baer who hadn't trained should be nowhere near the list. It's an underdog story, not that great a win otherwise.

Either Rahman or McCall's wins against Lewis are better.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:20 am

Or Lewis against Vitali.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:40 am

Quality of champion, performance and historical impact are the criteria you said. Historical impact of the fight makes us for the performance of Jeffries which couldn't be helped.
Louis v Schmelling is bigger and Johnson v Burns, maybe, but not much else for the impact it had, in my opinion. Huge at the time.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:29 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:Quality of champion, performance and historical impact are the criteria you said. Historical impact of the fight makes us for the performance of Jeffries which couldn't be helped.
Louis v  Schmelling is bigger and Johnson v Burns, maybe, but not much else for the impact it had, in my opinion. Huge at the time.

Schmelling was beaten by Sharkey.....and was pretty ordinary anyway...

All the other guys beaten in the list....Beat decent champions......

Just the way i say it.....Quality of champion/challenger at the time is my number 1 criteria..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:35 pm

Johnson -Burns is the most historically significant fight of all. Louis and Ali were significant figures of their day, by they were a product of their times whereas Johnson shaped his times- the fight against Burns impacted upon race relations in the US as much as Rosa Parks not giving up her seat on the bus- it affected the course of race -relations. The results started a ripple of riots and violence that spread right across America. Other fights had higher quality participants, were better fights, made more money but nothing comes close in how important is was.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:36 pm

David Haye vs Audley Harrison

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:38 pm

Martin Rogan v Matt Skelton

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Big Skelton would throw the head in him.

I was at the first Frampton vs Martinez fight.

Big Rogie fought a four rounder against some guy that looks like he was pulled from the bar. He was a big lump.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:57 pm

I wrote it as tongue in cheek Adam, but the Rogan v Skelton fight was an absolute barnstormer, and when big Rogie sent the Bedford Bear across the ring in the 11th round and stopped him, well it was jubilation! We had a heavy that potnetially could do something, alas the Sexton debacles and everything that followed thereafter, the fallout with John Breen/Magee and so on......

Talk of Rogie fighting Big Sexy Sean Turner for the Irish Heavyweight Title - have you see Sean Turner fight yet? (Talk about big lumps lol)....hes one hell of a character!

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:59 pm

Awh man if only you seen the guy he was fighting that night. He looked like some big lump you would see bouncing at the local sh.thole and would have no bother throwing the head in you.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:I wrote it as tongue in cheek Adam, but the Rogan v Skelton fight was an absolute barnstormer, and when big Rogie sent the Bedford Bear across the ring in the 11th round and stopped him, well it was jubilation! We had a heavy that potnetially could do something, alas the Sexton debacles and everything that followed thereafter, the fallout with John Breen/Magee and so on......

Talk of Rogie fighting Big Sexy Sean Turner for the Irish Heavyweight Title - have you see Sean Turner fight yet? (Talk about big lumps lol)....hes one hell of a character!

Not interested in Irish garbage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

Cool Don't be racist Truss!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:06 pm

Jim Jefferies v Tom Sharkey 2.

One of the greatest fights in heavyweight history between two of the best of their day over 25 bruising rounds. Some debatable judging to add to the pot.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:18 pm

Why is Truss allowed to be racist, and never banned from this forum? I have been reading for over 2 years now, and he seems to have the freedom to write what he likes, irrespective of who it offends? Seems odd.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:18 pm

He was being xenophobic not racist.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:19 pm

Not as If I don't get "American this and that" chucked at me at least ten times a day on here...

I blame the parents.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:25 pm

Scottrf wrote:He was being xenophobic not racist.

Why does he not like The Warrior Princess?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:27 pm

The difference between xenophobia and racism can be quite fine.

Racism is not always about colour.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:28 pm

He does seem to be having a meltdown today. Hope he's OK.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:

Why does he not like The Warrior Princess?
I see Sheng's now referring to himself in the third person

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Hi Dave

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down