The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

+36
banbrotam
slashermcguirk
Aut0Gr4ph
Josiah Maiestas
Calder106
Born Slippy
coolpixel
Jahu
break_in_the_fifth
TRuffin
laverfan
Good Golly I'm Olly
kemet
Animalfan
Guest82
theslosty
HM Murdock
barrystar
CaledonianCraig
Haddie-nuff
LuvSports!
Belovedluckyboy
yloponom68
temporary21
dummy_half
bogbrush
FedsFan
rIck_dAgless
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
Jermaine2015
Danny_1982
kingraf
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
40 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. - Page 4 Empty Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Jul 2015, 7:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Order of play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. - Page 4 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by Calder106 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

Well done to Federer. Fully deserved the win. That serving display was outstanding. Very little Murray could do to break. As Federer said himself it was the serve that was the deciding factor.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears. - Page 4 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Richard With a Vengeance? Call the Kops-Jones or it'll all end in Spears.

Post by HM Murdock Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

If Federer produces that level on Sunday, he wins.

Doesn't matter who is on the other side of the net.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

Well whatever vitamins Roger takes I would like some
Just when you think you have seen it all...he does it again Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:58 pm

As well as Roger played today, Novak will start Sunday's final as the favourite.

Even if he were to reproduce this fantastic serving display, it is going to be the return that is the deciding factor.

If Roger gets drawn into a baseline duel against the baseline fortress that is Novak, there can only be one winner and it is not the Swiss.

Roger will have to try to draw Novak into the net as he has not looked fully comfortable there all tournament. He also has to reduce the amount of backhand errors.

As for Novak, this is his fourth Wimbledon final in the last five years; a very impressive run.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:00 pm

That 2nd set was the final nail. I'm surprised Murray couldn't even make it to a TB let alone a set.

Now can he save Wimbledon from the trainer calling, ballgirl abusing, can't win a French Open (you get the picture). I sincerely hope the tournament will end on a high thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:04 pm

Murray was disappointing in that he didn't get to even one tiebreaker. like raonic or isner you have to ask the question.  I only hope for a competitive end and hopefully not TOO serve dominated.  We certainly won't get one on saturday!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:06 pm

Jahu wrote:LF, 2 kisses Smile

The Old Man showed why, at 33+, he is a formidable opponent in this form. #18 on the line for him. Djokovic is tough opponent though. He should re-visit last year's final and address when he let Djokovic off the hook.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:10 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Wow.

What a performance. Stunning. The man is a genius.

Surely he must start as the favourite on Sunday?

I'll say this, if Federer raises the trophy on Sunday, a month shy of 34, having gone through Murray and Djokovic, I'll rate it as his greatest slam win.

I'm stunned.
Yeah, I thought it was incredible him going through the same two guys in 2012 when almost 31 but to do it three years later would be ridiculous.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:21 pm

Murray: "Very few players have been able to play great tennis into their 30s, I don't know if anyone has played as well as Roger at his age"

Won 10 from 10 in Wimbledon SF's now. The maestro drumroll
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:28 pm

So is this definitely his last chance? Because his last chance was last year. And the last chance before that was 2012. Hell, if he ran into anyone but a rampant Wawrinka, his last chance may have been Roland Garros.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:29 pm

56 winners. 11 Ue's. Tennis from another planet. We are not worthy!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:34 pm

kingraf wrote:So is this definitely his last chance? Because his last chance was last year. And the last chance before that was 2012. Hell, if he ran into anyone but a rampant Wawrinka, his last chance may have been Roland Garros.
I am starting to wonder whether Moscow 2020 Olympics are viable......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:37 pm

Sue Barker will still find a way to make the final about Murray when it's Novak vs Roger. Do we know if Sue is related to the Murrays?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:39 pm

I honestly think he's played better this fortnight than he did on a few of his victories. Nothing he's done would have looked out of place on a 2003-12 compilation. Heck, the serving may even be better. If he has a decent 2016, you'd think he'll continue past Rio.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:44 pm

Didn't Roddick say during the match that Federer hit 50 aces past him in the 2009 final and he thought he was probably serving better than that today.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:45 pm

nothing is scarying fed in respect of the next generation. at 33 he's still comfortably making semi's and finals. nadal is a fading force & as good as murray is, he's not made the jump to elite levels like novak has. fed eats raonic, berdych, dimi, ferrer etc for breakfast still. i see him going to at least 2017 at this kind of level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:50 pm

The serving may be better but I doubt the rallying is. He's serving quickly and shortened points so that he's not drawn into long rallies. I think he's better at some areas but worse at some. A better gauge will be vs Novak as I find Murray too passive in this match. Murray's shots lacked power, unlike Fed's.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:51 pm

Can't remember the last time I saw Federer play so well.

Stunning. Lavish. Astounding. Majestic.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:54 pm

Federer is doing a stunning job of covering his weakness, which is stamina. It's in his hands to do so because he's the one who decides the points will be brief.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:56 pm

Aren't we talking about Fed as a fading force when he was 29 in 2010? Nadal's a fading force now? Not so soon, don't jump into conclusion yet! Fed only made the Wimbledon final this year, he didn't made any at AO and FO this year right? He even lost to Seppi at AO right? No guarantee he can stay this way till 2007.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:57 pm

I mean 2017.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:04 pm

Murray made the mistake of playing to Fed's pace. I think Novak will be smart enough to slow the pace and makes Fed hits a few more shots. Novak has a better second serve too compared to Murray, I think Novak can hold his service games relatively easier than Murray does. Murray was practically struggling through most of his own service games!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:10 pm

Bravo Fed! Blasted TIVO box decided to stop recording mid way through the third, so I missed the end, but saw enough to know that was an awesome performance from the old man. If he can repeat that serving display, he's going to be almost unstoppable in the final.

It wasn't just the serve though. His FH was consistently devastating and his BH was also purring. I thought his blocked returns were great too. There was a stage in the second set where it seemed that every Murray first serve was coming back to an awkward length.

I don't think Murray deserves a shred of criticism. He seemed focussed throughout and did well to keep it vaguely competitive. Sure, he could have played better, but a big part of that was that Fed didn't let him in. I was hoping that Murray's gutsy hold at 4-5 in the 2nd could act as a momentum changer, but Fed was having none of it. He was relentless.

I agree with others that, if Fed can come through Djoko on Sunday, at the ripe age of 34, and with two great rivals (one of all time great status) arguably at the peak of their powers, it would go down as very possibly his greatest grand slam win. Also, it would be a weighty riposte to the 'Weak Era' argument that some are prone to spout. I'd probably agree that there was a period when Fed's competition was a bit lightweight, but I've never believed for a second that his dominance and staggering grand slam success relied upon it. Fed at his best is a class apart and I'm hoping that he is able to emphasise that fact once again on Sunday. Bring on number 18!

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:18 pm

Come on Fed, in 3 sets crush Djoko.

LF, amen Wink kiss

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:18 pm

Im only concerned about one things

56 winners to 11 unforced. Thats quite astonishing, hell need even better on Sunday though... No less than how Stanimal played at RG is probably gonna do.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm

If Inverdale thinks Bartoli is a bit of a minger, God only knows what he makes of Balding. I actually think that Bartoli scrubs up quite well, but maybe I'm just becoming a randy old goat......

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:25 pm

Jahu wrote:Come on Fed, in 3 sets  crush Djoko.

LF, amen Wink kiss

That's a bit of tame effort Jahu. Hope you're just saving your best anti-Djoko barbs for Sunday. If Djoko is at his stifling best, we might need them to keep morale up.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
Jahu wrote:Come on Fed, in 3 sets  crush Djoko.

LF, amen Wink kiss

That's a bit of tame effort Jahu. Hope you're just saving your best anti-Djoko barbs for Sunday. If Djoko is at his stifling best, we might need them to keep morale up.
How dare you, Jahu is fair to every player in the game. Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:

Federer will outclass Murray in straight sets. Federer's got 15 grass court titles for a reason, he's the best ever on grass.
Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so...

The great Roger to bag number 18 on Sunday

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

I have to say, phenomenal performance from federer. That is the one of the best matches I have ever seen him play. Murray did very little wrong, you just cannot compete with that.

A bit like wawrinka in the French open final, he was just seeing the ball and flushing it with absolute precision.

I just hope the match can live up to the final last year. If they both bring their A game, it could be epic. If federer plays and serves like today, going to be incredibly tough for djokovic. That being said if djokovic is clued in on his return he will test federer more.

Murray just couldn't seem to get a read on the federer serve today. That was the only surprise for me

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

As impressive as Fed's play was today, I still expect Djoko to come out on top on Sunday. Mind you, I was the one who forecast Rafa to win the French and do well at Wimbledon.
Although Nole is favourite in the final, let's face it, would anyone be surprised if Fed won?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:50 pm

Superb performance from Fed. It was so good, that I actually think Murray would have beaten him playing like he did today, in 2012 - but it shows that the Swiss maestro is a genius

I said at the start of the fortnight that I worried for Murray's future slam chances, if he didn't win here - but he's so far in front of the young pretenders that I'm still optimistic he can win or two over the next two years

I back Roger for Sunday - I think his serve is pretty much unreadable at the moment, but of course that could be because he's super confident playing Murray at the moment

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm

I wouldn't be pessimistic about Murray; I thought the move to Mauresmo was a mistake but - and maybe Bjorkman is a factor - he seems to be combining what Lendl gave him with the old Murray I regretted being discarded, so I got that wrong.

True, he played better than in 2012.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:08 pm

On today's showings you have to feel it is now or never for Roger. He won deservedly against Murray and really never gave Andy a sniff and won in straight sets. Novak was solid enough against Gasquet but did have his serve broken and has went through sticky patches in the tournament so far. Federer won't get a better chance to win slam 18. If his serve functions as well on Sunday I'd tip him to win but Ill be interested to see how well Novak can return his serve. Andy wasn't at the races in that area today and paid the price for lack of aggression. Also Roger has had a pretty swift run through to the final so the fatigue thing shouldn't be an issue. Should be very interesting.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMessi Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:07 pm

bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:Wow.

What a performance. Stunning. The man is a genius.

Surely he must start as the favourite on Sunday?

I'll say this, if Federer raises the trophy on Sunday, a month shy of 34, having gone through Murray and Djokovic, I'll rate it as his greatest slam win.

I'm stunned.
Yeah, I thought it was incredible him going through the same two guys in 2012 when almost 31 but to do it three years later would be ridiculous.
It certainly puts in perspective those who saw him lose a step in 2009!

TheMessi

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:13 pm

Well I am glad I didn't get around to betting on Murray to winning the tournament. Sounds like I should go back and try and watch the whole match? Do people agree with the comments that this is the best match Federer every played, or was that hyperbole?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:54 pm

Magnificence from Roger. He beats anyone playing like that. I've seen Andy play way worse and beat top players. I don't think it's possible to serve better than that.

Obviously the guy he's playing Sunday beat him a year ago, so it's not easy to turn up and repeat today's performance. I'd be very surprised if he did. But if he can play 85% as well as that he's got a great chance. Too good.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 11 Jul 2015, 5:17 am

If Roger serves like that it will be tough for Novak, it is hard when on grass your opponent who has as good as serve as fed serves mid 70s first serve percentage. I think whoever wins it will be a close 4 or 5 set match. I will go with Novak in 4 close sets. Roger doesn't attack Novak's second serve as easily and Novak does a better job of getting after Roger's second serve. But today he didn't deal up many second serves. I wouldn't be surprised if Roger wins but I think Novak will find away to get him out of his comfort zone something Murray was incapable of doing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sat 11 Jul 2015, 6:06 am

According to Fed this is one of his best (if not the best) match at Wimbledon. No doubt about that, consider the way he dispatched Murray in straight sets with such an almost flawless performance. I dont know about his 2003-2005, but even vs Nadal in the 2006 final, I thought he played well but still couldnt match this one in terms of the way he dispatched a top class opponent.

I thought he played his best during the 2006-2008 finals (sorry to Roddick as I couldnt remember how well Fed played against him in the other finals earlier on) but this I've to rank it close to those. I think perhaps if its Novak or even the younger Nadal of 2007/2008, they could have exposed Fed's stamina and fitness issues by extending the match for at least another set. Murray was a bit passive and I thought his shots lacked a bit of weight or power.

I think Novak could get a set at least should Fed repeat this performance. If Fed couldnt sustain this level of play then I think Novak wins it.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:22 am

Watching the match again, I am still stunned at the level of play!

That was right up there with performances from his heyday. It was an exhibition of perfect tennis. I have managed to record it and save for Mrs LK to watch Smile

I really hope that quality of tennis wins out on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 11 Jul 2015, 9:12 am

Alas it's unlikely that Fed will play as well against Djoko. I also think that Nole will make more returns and get Fed moving more than Murray did.
Although Andy's level was good yesterday, there were still too many short balls and not enough in-the-corner-make-Fed-move shots. Djoko, I feel, will put more pressure on Fed in the final.
Points-wise, it seemed only a matter of time before Murray took over the number two ranking spot from Rog. Probably will happen before the end of the year as Fed still has heaps of points to defend, but the Wimbledon s-f win has delayed it a while.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 11 Jul 2015, 1:09 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Alas it's unlikely that Fed will play as well against Djoko. I also think that Nole will make more returns and get Fed moving more than Murray did.
  Although Andy's level was good yesterday, there were still too many short balls and not enough in-the-corner-make-Fed-move shots. Djoko, I feel, will put more pressure on Fed in the final.
  Points-wise, it seemed only a matter of time before Murray took over the number two ranking spot from Rog. Probably will happen before the end of the year as Fed still has heaps of points to defend, but the Wimbledon s-f win has delayed it a while.

I agree Murray's game lacked aggressive shots when he had the chance. However, I'd say for him he was taken aback by how well Roger served. Murray is a player who loves to have a plan when going into each match. He always struggles at first with opponents he has never played before. Yesterday (and he has said this) it was the best Roger had ever served against him so I'd say it was akin to throwing an unexpected element at him and he never came close to formulating a plan to counter the serve. Novak will have been impressed by Roger's serve but if he can return and play more aggressive that may be enough but I wouldn't bank on it at all. If Roger serves as mercurial then Novak cannot afford his famous 'brain fart' moments or else he'll lose the set. Very tough one to call for me.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 11 Jul 2015, 2:08 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Sounds like I should go back and try and watch the whole match? Do people agree with the comments that this is the best match Federer every played, or was that hyperbole?

Yes, you should watch the match, but the match was close. Murray's post-match interview is telling. The lack of belief is the primary issue with Murray. This reminds me quite a bit of the 2010 AO final between the two.

Is this the best match - unlikely? If Federer beats Djokovic on Sunday, that will be better, IMO.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 11 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Murray was a bit passive and I thought his shots lacked a bit of weight or power.

I think Novak could get a set at least should Fed repeat this performance.  If Fed couldnt sustain this level of play then I think Novak wins it.

That's true, but I think there are reasons for it. Andy was able to get into so few points in Feds serve that when he did he didn't want to make an error. He became more and more risk averse. That only added to Feds confidence. Novak will react differently in the same scenario, he'll just swing and that might unsettle Fed.

Ultimately, if Federer reproduces that serving performance he wins tomorrow. But Novak will do more to disrupt that rhythm I suspect. Yesterday told us that Roger is still capable of breathtaking tennis, and even though I'm a Muzza fan that's great for tennis... But it also showed us that Andy still isn't quite back to 2012-13 levels, because he still is a fraction short against his main rivals. He still has some work to do.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sat 11 Jul 2015, 6:33 pm

Federer played very very well. Lets keep in mind the source of the hyperbole......exclusively the BBC. I'm not a cynic. ...but I watched the first two sets, and the stats for unforced errors count still suprised me. I would have said it was higher from watching it. Still, very good. But not peak Fed still.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 11 Jul 2015, 7:45 pm

On a vacation but finally back in the internet land. I did not see much tennis but I saw Roger vs Andy SF. Absolutely phenomenal from Roger. Andy actually played quite well - very well even - yet the match was not close. The scoreline flatters Andy. The match was close for maybe one half of the first set and after that it was all Roger. He held with ease and just stepped it up towards the end of each set and broke with ease too.

As a Fed fan, this match was probably most satisfying to watch since his 2011 RG SF vs Nole, but it may even beat that. If Roger plays like this on Sunday, I do not see Nole beating him.

BUT, I doubt Roger will be able to repeat this performance. This has been his best match in a long time; why should he be able to repeat it back-to-back? So I expect Nole to win in 3 or 4 sets, but hopefully I will be wrong.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sat 11 Jul 2015, 9:21 pm

summerblues wrote:On a vacation but finally back in the internet land.  I did not see much tennis but I saw Roger vs Andy SF.  Absolutely phenomenal from Roger.  Andy actually played quite well - very well even - yet the match was not close.  The scoreline flatters Andy.  The match was close for maybe one half of the first set and after that it was all Roger.  He held with ease and just stepped it up towards the end of each set and broke with ease too.

As a Fed fan, this match was probably most satisfying to watch since his 2011 RG SF vs Nole, but it may even beat that.  If Roger plays like this on Sunday, I do not see Nole beating him.

BUT, I doubt Roger will be able to repeat this performance.  This has been his best match in a long time; why should he be able to repeat it back-to-back?  So I expect Nole to win in 3 or 4 sets, but hopefully I will be wrong.

It will be hard to back it up. At the same time, Federer has dropped hint after hint he was building up to hit his peak level for the final.. Did he hit it one match too early, or can he go there again? He did say in his presser that the final is a relief in some ways because he could now let everything he has out since the end is there.

Shame if Fed loses because he has been the best player of the tournament, but at that level of a Fed/Djoko anyone can win.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 12 Jul 2015, 4:30 am

I really hope Fed wins this, as I think he's the best player in this tournament. This may be his last chance to win at Wimbledon as hes really getting old. Novak will have his chances in future.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 12 Jul 2015, 10:44 am

OK, just watched the first 2 sets of Andy-Rog, won't have time to get set 3 in before the final, my thoughts are:

If Federer plays that well again, he is favourite for the final, but not unbeatable.
He won't play that well again.
Djokovic is slight favourite for the final or 50/50.
I didn't feel that it was Federer's best ever performance, I think there was some hyperbole there, his best since 2011/2012 is as far as I'd go.
Federer served extremely well, but he is still past his peak on rallying and has been since about end of 12/start of 13. There wasn't the shock and awe and joy from the baseline that characterised his peak (2004-2012).

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next