The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When does an athlete peak?

4 posters

Go down

When does an athlete peak? Empty When does an athlete peak?

Post by LuvSports! Mon 13 Jul 2015, 5:13 pm

When is your sporting peak? Mine was aged 19. Now I'm a washed up, injured mong.

Thoughts on this topic and you personally!?
http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/when-is-your-sporting-peak.html

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

When does an athlete peak? Empty Re: When does an athlete peak?

Post by bogbrush Mon 13 Jul 2015, 5:48 pm

I'm still waiting for mine. Smile

Actually, at 22 I was tireless. I could do a speedy 8 mile run with a sprint finish then play a match straight after (I did so because I ran past the courts near the end and was called over to a match). I once played singles down the club all day, racking up 9 sets of competitive singles tennis (or what passed for that !) and ran out of light. At one stage I began wonder exactly what it would take to leave me fatigued.

Then I took work seriously and it's been downhill ever since. I'm now a washed up mong without the injury excuse.

Ok, I wasn't an athlete but I can't believe we ever beat true youth. We might become cleverer, or stronger, or even squeeze out some extra stamina through ruthless training, but the natural energy of youth can't be topped. For a pro athlete I can't believe their physical peak can be later that 27/8, any advantage after that is in the head.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 13 Jul 2015, 5:51 pm

An interesting question is with players maybe peaking later and going on longer. Are the old slam records or even 17 that safe anymore? Guys get a lot longer to develop and play for them than before

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

I would say my peak in my sporting days was 24-29. I played much better quality and I would say with more experience I was better. Physically it was downhill after 29. Mentally though I became sharper. It's one of those things where you wish you could put the accrued wisdom into my younger body.

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 13 Jul 2015, 6:27 pm

When I was 17 I didn't know what fatigue was, I could play football, tennis, squash cricket day after day without a second thought. I think I was physically stronger and faster in my early twenties but the energy I had in my teens was limitless it seemed.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down