The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New English Players after the World cup

+20
Dubbelyew L Overate
nathan
bluestonevedder
Poorfour
BamBam
dummy_half
Gwlad
DaveM
BigTrevsbigmac
lostinwales
propdavid_london
beshocked
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
Geordie
Sgt_Pooly
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
thomh
cb
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New English Players after the World cup - Page 3 Empty New English Players after the World cup

Post by cb Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:46 am

First topic message reminder :

As the "England's RWC Preparations" is meandering a bit and we in a bit of a phoney war situation, I thought I would raise a new topic looking at which new English players might be near the full squad, post work cup.

On my list would be (though obviously not all would ever make): -

Otoje
Ewers (offers a bit of muscle in the back-row)
Auterac
Slater
Kitchener (not really in favour with Rowtree/lancaster, but may be a bit underrated?)
Burgess

Slade (could easy make the final 31 for the World cup)
Cowan-Dickie (ditto as for Slade)
Wade (may be he might get a chance).
Devoto (actually can look a good inside centre)

The list in NOT exhaustive, please feel free to suggest more names and comment.

cb

Back to top Go down

New English Players after the World cup - Page 3 Empty Re: New English Players after the World cup

Post by Geordie Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:42 am

Will Lancaster be in charge by the end of the year?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

New English Players after the World cup - Page 3 Empty Re: New English Players after the World cup

Post by beshocked Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 am

If England don't make it out of the pool stages then he should go.

England are one of a select few sides to always make the quarter finals or higher - Lancaster would not want to lose this record.

England should make it out so I expect he will stay.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:08 am

Are you happy with what he's done and the direction he's taking England?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:48 am

GF

I think SL will still be in the job if we reach the SFs. Less than that and I can see a review of his position and that of his coaching unit.

I think under the circumstances he's done a good (not great but more than adequate) job - the team needed rebuilding after 2011, and he's largely achieved that . The difficulty has been in balancing continuity of selection with player availability - some positions (prop for example), it's all worked out OK, but others (centres in particular), the time frame and difficulty of player availability has been an issue. We still don't know who our best 12 is because for 2.5 years it was assumed Manu would be at 13 yet he's hardly played, and so both positions have chopped and changed until the (re-)emergence of Joseph at 13 - very good player but one whose strengths and weaknesses are almost diametrically opposed to Tuillagi's.

As far as players and playing style, I think this 6Ns showed we are on the right track but that we are a couple of grizzled 50+ cap forwards away from being a really good side. As a thought experiment, take the line-up for the Ireland game and replace Attwood with Martin Johnson at his best and Haskell with Richard Hill at his best and you can see what we are missing. Unfortunately, we simply don't have guys of this quality (and the reasons for that can be debated, but for me started after 2003 and with hanging on to players with the 'World Cup Winner' tag too long - only exception of course being Phil Vickery, who is still as good as ever...)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:07 am

Geordiefalcon he's been a safe pair of hands but hasn't been spectacular. If I was rating his coaching tenure out of 10 I would say it's a solid 7/10 so far.

People say England have got better under Lancaster - sure they've scored more tries but they haven't won more matches. Performances are one thing, results are another.

Do I feel more confident than England can beat the likes of SA and NZ than last year? No.

It's natural that England should improve - just look at the England U20s and the talent coming through. Naturally players should improve with more experience.

Leaving in players like Easter,Haskell etc is the safe option. Leaving out the likes of Wade,Itoje,Ewers etc shows that Lancaster is not willing to take risks. I think England need to take a risk or two in the warm ups if they are going to continue the rise in fortunes.

Lancaster was going to leave out the in form George out of the RWC squad but Hartley's headbutt forced his hand.

Wales' gamble on Francis might well pay dividends.

Brian Ashton had the toughest job in the business as he had less talent to work with than first Johnson and now Lancaster.

Someone like Baxter for Exeter has shown he's a brilliant coach because he's taken a championship side with championship players and in a few years has turned them into a top 4 contender in the AP. Doing the double over Saints and Sarries - this season - very impressive.

That's an upward rise in fortunes - the same cannot be said of Lancaster's England.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 am

beshocked wrote:

Leaving in players like Easter,Haskell etc is the safe option. Leaving out the likes of Wade,Itoje,Ewers etc shows that Lancaster is not willing to take risks. I think England need to take a risk or two in the warm ups if they are going to continue the rise in fortunes.

Lancaster was going to leave out the in form George out of the RWC squad but Hartley's headbutt forced his hand.

I don't see this aspect as an issue. How often has the World Cup been won by the most adventurous young attacking side? Even NZ in 2011 had to grind it out. If Itoje, to take your example, carries on his learning curve and doesn't make the Six Nations after the World Cup then you'll have more of a point. I think Wade against North or Savea at the moment would be an accident waiting to happen, much as I'd love to see him make it.

Side point though - whatever your thoughts on Burgess, you can't argue that picking him is the safe option surely?

Good point on the quality of the u20s though. It would be appalling if we didn't start to improve.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:30 am

Not suggesting playing Wade against North or Savea but if you want to rack up the tries against the likes of Fiji and Uruguay an attacking weapon like Wade could be useful.

Qualifying for the next round could come down to points difference. Points difference was key in the 6 nations and England missed out on the title because not enough points were racked up against Scotland in particular.

Rugby is a squad game.

Ewers and Itoje are physical players. I think they would have flourished if given opportunities.

Firstly we don't know whether Burgess will make the 31 and 2ndly one risk doesn't make him a risky coach.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:34 am

beshocked wrote:...

lostinwales May helped score a try against Italy when most of the damage had already been done by the rest of the team, oh and let's not forget that Italy are one of the weakest sides in the 6 nations.

1 or 2 good moments in May's international career isn't good enough.

First May dined off the NZ try, now he's dining off one assist vs a demoralised Italy. Need to see more from him. ...

You are always highly selective in the details you look for, so forgive me for doing the same. And I know its a waste of time but we would not have scored the Cipriani try without May. We may have scored others with a different team selection, but that one was down to him, his acceleration and ability to get the ball out of the tackle, taking out several Italian defenders and giving Cips a walk in.

I think we are all disappointed that May has only shown occasional glimpses of what he can do in internationals. But the point is he can do the same things he does in domestic rugby on the bigger stage. And then there is the kick chase thing (which others could do, but from experience they don't and anyway can't cover as much distance as him because they are not as fast), and compared to his direct competition he is a competent defender

I do also think we are harder on players who have an extra gear when they don't show it than we are on more 'average' players whose play meets our expectations of them, regardless of how they play overall.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:47 am

Let's have a look at the talent Ashton had to work with, shall we:

FB 15 Jason Robinson Substituted off 47'
RW 14 Paul Sackey
OC 13 Mathew Tait
IC 12 Mike Catt Substituted off 51'
LW 11 Mark Cueto
FH 10 Jonny Wilkinson
SH 9 Andy Gomarsall
N8 8 Nick Easter Substituted off 65'
OF 7 Lewis Moody Substituted off 63'
BF 6 Martin Corry
RL 5 Ben Kay
LL 4 Simon Shaw
TP 3 Phil Vickery (c) Substituted off 41'
HK 2 Mark Regan Substituted off 63'
LP 1 Andrew Sheridan
Replacements:
HK 16 George Chuter Substituted in 63'
PR 17 Matt Stevens Substituted in 41'
N8 18 Lawrence Dallaglio Substituted in 65'
FL 19 Joe Worsley Substituted in 63' Substituted off 71'
SH 20 Peter Richards Substituted in 71'
FH 21 Toby Flood Substituted in 51'
CE 22 Dan Hipkiss Substituted in 47'
Coach:
England Brian Ashton

8 RWC Winners' medals in that squad. Of the non-RWC winners, 3 further players were 2005 Lions.

Ashton had plenty of talent - and particularly experienced talent - available to him. He had the same basic problem that every coach since 2003 has had - no Richard Hill and no Will Greenwood - but no more than that.

Compare that to Johnson's QF team:

England: Foden, Ashton, Tuilagi, Flood, Cueto, Wilkinson, Youngs, Stevens, Thompson, Cole, Deacon, Palmer, Croft, Moody, Easter.
Replacements: Wigglesworth for Wilkinson (65), Banahan for Youngs (65), Corbisiero for Stevens (49), Hartley for Thompson (56), Shaw for Deacon (49), Lawes for Croft (46), Haskell for Moody (63).

Only 3 RWC winners left, but 5 further RWC finalists.

I know which of those sides I would rather pick, but Lancaster has less experienced talent available to him than either Johnson or Ashton.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am

Oh for a in his prime Simon Shaw now! A monster in the pack.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm

lostinwales that's one assist.... May needs to do more on that on a consistent basis. Also against better sides than a demoralised Italy would help too.

With all due respect Italy don't have the best defence in the world.

You talk about extra gear - to be honest I would be happy if May put in 7/10 performances consistently instead of 5/10 performances with occasionally 1 or 2 bits of great skill thrown in every 5th game.

Poorfour

Gomarsall - bless his cotton socks was not in the same class as Dawson or Bracken. Youngs is better than Gomarsall.
Easter - I think England are so much better stocked at 8 with Billy and Morgan.
Tait - where is he now? Oh that's right - he's not good enough to make the England squad. Tulagi a massive upgrade on him.
Sackey - where is he now? Ashton - top try scorer in the RWC 2011 - an upgrade on Sackey.

Fine I will concede perhaps the team Brian Ashton wasn't as poor as I thought but I feel that Lancaster has a younger, fresher team to work with than both Ashton and Johnson.

Sure there's not the experience but he's got a far bigger player pool to work with.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Who's this Tuilagi? Does he play rugby?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:14 pm

beshocked -

But against that you have to set Deacon, Palmer and Banahan. I'd also argue that Haskell, while a good player, isn't in the same league as Moody, Corry or Dallaglio.

I'll concede that Dawson, Bracken, Youngs and for that matter Care, when on top form, are both better than Gomarsall, but the margins are much finer than you're making out. Gomars narrowly (but justifiably) missed out to Dawson and Bracken in 2003. In 2007 he was the form scrum half and won his place in the final XV (having been an outside bet in the initial squad) because he dedicated himself to finding out what service Wilkinson wanted and providing it. He wasn't particularly flash, but he was effective, and he blew hot and cold much less than Youngs or Care.

Lancaster does have a younger and fresher squad than Johnson and Ashton - but he has a much less experienced squad because Johnson hung onto the class of 2003 for too long. The squad we're building now will be in very good shape by 2019 but it's pretty green compared with other international sides right now.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Sgt Pooly admittedly Tuilagi is not in the England squad at the moment but only has himself to blame.

Poorfour Johnson had the likes of Shaw,Moody,Easter,Wilkinson,Cueto except he also had the likes of Lawes,Hartley,Corbisiero,Croft, Flood in his prime, Ashton in his prime, Tuilagi near his best.

If you take these players' best performances then it's not bad.

Gomarsall didn't have much competition for the 9 shirt in 2007 with Dawson,Bracken and Healey not on the scene.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:20 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Francis is English, there is no real debate. Good luck to the lad anyway, I'm sure he'll regret not knuckling down and attempting to play for his country at some point.

mmm so might Manu, Brad, Dylan and Semesa i expect, well….at least two them will thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 am

Yaaawwwnnnn picard

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:52 am

Gwlad wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Francis is English, there is no real debate. Good luck to the lad anyway, I'm sure he'll regret not knuckling down and attempting to play for his country at some point.

mmm so might Manu, Brad, Dylan and Semesa i expect, well….at least two them will thumbsup

Ooooh lets do this again for the 50th time. Let me see. Brad Barritt and Dylan Hartley have exactly the same route into the English team as a significant chunk of the Welsh team to Wales (and definitely closer links than Francis). i.e. they have an English parent. Manu grew up in Leicester even if there was something of a grey area over a tourist visa, and Semesa is prepared to fight (and therefore face the risk of injury or worse) for the UK armed forces, although he probably qualifies on residency.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:00 am

Considering Wales could put out an almost entirely foreign born pack (with a front five composed almost entirely of English born players), I'd be careful about throwing those stones about.

01. Aaron Jarvis
03. Tomas Francis
04. Jake Ball
05. Luke Charteris
06. James King
07. Ross Moriaty
08. Toby Faletau
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 am

Boys, don't rise to it.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:04 am

Anyway back on track.

Which player will nail the 12 spot?

Slade
Hill
Stephenson
Devoto
A.N.other?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 am

lostinwales they also play for English clubs and live in England.

Let's not forget that Wales are indebted to Englishman,Shaun Edwards for their defence - a key part of how Wales won 3 grandslams.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 pm

GF of your list of future 12's.  I think Slade is a good footballer but I am just hoping Devoto might come through as he plays a bit like Greenwood (half-break, then pass out of the tackle).

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:14 pm

beshocked wrote:lostinwales they also play for English clubs and live in England.

Let's not forget that Wales are indebted to Englishman,Shaun Edwards for their defence - a key part of how Wales won 3 grandslams.

Its true just imagine what England could have achieved if only they had been smart enough to hire him, instead they've won nothing. Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm hoping for Devoto as well. I know Greenwood was never the quickest, but I think the game has moved on a bit and I do worry that Devoto might be lacking a bit in that department. We will have to see...

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Gwlad wrote:
beshocked wrote:lostinwales they also play for English clubs and live in England.

Its true just imagine what England could have achieved if only they had been smart enough to hire him, instead they've won nothing. Laugh

The best wums come with truth twisted you just lie so not quite there. Keep at it champ OK

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Who's this Tuilagi? Does he play rugby?
in gaol.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:48 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Who's this Tuilagi? Does he play rugby?
in gaol.  

Shocked

Good luck with that one Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

The best wums come with truth twisted you just lie so not quite there. Keep at it champ OK

A lie? Strong accusation. What am I lying about? I could hardly twist the truth about what England have won in the last however many years could i? Laugh No, not much scope there. And since someone else asserted that Wales are indebted to an Englishman for their success one wonders why England overlooked hiring one of their own who, accordingly, would have lead them to 2 Slams and 3 championships as apparently he has for Wales.

Fact is the old farts at RFU didnt want someone as rough and ready as our Shaun did they? Tell me I'm lying again. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:06 am

I take it back then you re not lying you just have it wrong.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:14 am

Gwlad,

This is a thread about future players for England. Why are you so concerned about derailing it constantly, and other England threads?

Please feel free to pop off and spend your school holidays on another thread.....

Back on topic...
I understand the fasincation with Greenwood, a quality player. But we shouldn't be solely trying to create a "new" Greenwood.

We need to balance out the team.
If Tuilagi is permanently broken, and Joseph ends up our 13..then maybe we need more of a combat 12 like Hill if he progresses etc.

I still think Stephenson looks like he could be the one to beat if he continues his impressive form and progress.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:19 am

Stephenson looks a good player, but I have bigged up centres in the past who have not kicked on... So I am keeping mynmouth shut.

Is the general consensus that Slade will only be a centre now? No chance that he will be a number 10?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:23 am

Ha ha, ah snap mate....ive backed a few non runners aswell.

I think Slade will be a 10 in all honesty. Its just with Ford owning that 10 shirt people are trying to shoe horn Slade in to the backs as he is showing huge potential.

But Slade will have a battle to get that 12 spot even at Exeter as young Hill works so well for them...

Can you believe England have TWO playmaking fly halfs....!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ha ha, ah snap mate....ive backed a few non runners aswell.

I think Slade will be a 10 in all honesty. Its just with Ford owning that 10 shirt people are trying to shoe horn Slade in to the backs as he is showing huge potential.

But Slade will have a battle to get that 12 spot even at Exeter as young Hill works so well for them...

I'm quite prepared to believe that Slade will play most of his club rugby at 10, but he has the attributes to play 12 internationally. I don't think for the right player that should be an issue - Mike Catt played every position from 10 to 15 in his time with England (usually in different matches, but it looked like he was trying to play most of them simultaneously in the RWC 2007 final).

The pipeline of talent at 10-12-13 is better than it has been for a very long time, with several players capable of playing multiple positions:
Ford 10
Farrell 10, arguably 12 or 13
Slade 10, 12, 13
Joseph 13
Manu 13, possibly 12 (IF he could learn to pass)
Hill 12, think he's also played 13
Stephenson 12 - any others?
Sloan mainly 12
Tomkins - mainly 13?
Add to that Marchant (has played 12 but probably a 13) who is probably the best of this year's U20 backs.

Several of those are big enough to play a crash ball role, and most of them are more skillful than previous generations.

The challenge will be to find effective pairings and give them enough experience that we can cope with injuries without having to go back to square one as we have in the last 4 years...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:04 am

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Ha ha, ah snap mate....ive backed a few non runners aswell.

I'm quite prepared to believe that Slade will play most of his club rugby at 10, but he has the attributes to play 12 internationally. I don't think for the right player that should be an issue - Mike Catt played every position from 10 to 15 in his time with England (usually in different matches, but it looked like he was trying to play most of them simultaneously in the RWC 2007 final).

The pipeline of talent at 10-12-13 is better than it has been for a very long time, with several players capable of playing multiple positions:
Ford 10
Farrell 10, arguably 12 or 13
Slade 10, 12, 13
Joseph 13
Manu 13, possibly 12 (IF he could learn to pass)
Hill 12, think he's also played 13
Stephenson 12 - any others?
Sloan mainly 12
Tomkins - mainly 13?
Add to that Marchant (has played 12 but probably a 13) who is probably the best of this year's U20 backs.

Several of those are big enough to play a crash ball role, and most of them are more skillful than previous generations.

The challenge will be to find effective pairings and give them enough experience that we can cope with injuries without having to go back to square one as we have in the last 4 years...

I know I sound like a wet blanket, but I got this same feeling when Flood, Cipriani, Lamb and Gerarghty (Goode too, when he was stilla FH) came on the scene and that really disappointed me. Saying that, I believe that the main guys now are more talented, and crucially, mentally tougher than their predecessors.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:08 am

Totally agree Pourfour, but I also hear what Cumbrian is saying that lots of "kids" in the past had have much potential but failed to deliver....so I guess we'll all have to watch with interest to see which ones actually deliver.

Tom Stephenson has played 13 aswell.

Is Elliott Daly totally out of the picture now...or is he still potentially in the picture. He's some talent....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:22 am

Poorfour on paper the potential looks good but not every player makes it.

What are the chances of these guys starting for their clubs this season?

Any chance of Sloan and Marchant becoming your first choice centre partnership at Quins?

Farrell should not be considered at 12 or 13. He's a physical 10 who offers something different to the other players.

Will be interesting to see who makes their breakthrough this season.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:44 am

Tom Stephenson played most of the games for Saints this season and was probably their best centre (not hard with Burrell a shadow I agree) . And a JWC winner in the past.

Sam Hill played most of the games at 12 for Exeter I believe this season, as did Slade in various positions.

How many did Tompkins play for Sarries. He's that talented young 13 isn't he?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:57 am

I think England's pipeline is exceptional at the moment. What marks it out for me is that you have plenty of different types of player coming through in each position, meaning that a strong coaching set-up can mix and blend the options to whatever particular style they are seeking to achieve.

The challenge, as always, will be identifying those individuals who can become top class international players, as opposed to simply "good" players. Wales, Ireland and, to a sadly lesser degree, Scotland focus their resources better and squeeze every ounce of potential from the players available. They have to. England has always had the luxury of options, but it's getting the right players, and the right combination of players, into the 1st XV that's the real trick.

Lancaster has done some really good things, but so far he still hasn't maxmised the talent available to him in my book.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:03 am

meaning that a strong coaching set-up

FES, that's what concerns me more than anything....is our coaching set up strong enough.

Lancaster has done some really good things, but so far he still hasn't maximised the talent available to him in my book

I think that sums up quite a lot of how most England fans feel towards him...he is the coach in charge of possibly the most fruitful period in English rugby with regards to resources available.....if he fails to nurture it...he needs to go...but he could also set England back years!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:07 am

beshocked wrote:Poorfour on paper the potential looks good but not every player makes it.

Any chance of Sloan and Marchant becoming your first choice centre partnership at Quins?

Farrell should not be considered at 12 or 13. He's a physical 10 who offers something different to the other players.

Not for a couple of years probably. Roberts is joining and there's no reason to think Lowe won't carry on being first choice 13. Nice to have more options there though as our centres have taken a hammering in terms of game time recently.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:07 am

Geordiefalcon he barely played for the 1st team for Sarries if at all.

If Tompkins is going to have a breakthrough season it will be this one.

With Farrell,Bosch and Wyles likely to be away on RWC duty and with Taylor's status unknown the 13 shirt at Saracens should be up for grabs.

FES totally agree. It's tough to identify who will be top class. Agree also that Lancaster hasn't yet utilised the talent at his disposable to maximum yet.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:34 am

thomh wrote:
beshocked wrote:Poorfour on paper the potential looks good but not every player makes it.

Not for a couple of years probably. Roberts is joining and there's no reason to think Lowe won't carry on being first choice 13. Nice to have more options there though as our centres have taken a hammering in terms of game time recently.

Given his history lets just see if Roberts improves on the number of club games he plays. He'll be a great asset when he turns up but there may well be plenty of opportunities for the alternatives

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:35 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think England's pipeline is exceptional at the moment. What marks it out for me is that you have plenty of different types of player coming through in each position, meaning that a strong coaching set-up can mix and blend the options to whatever particular style they are seeking to achieve.

The challenge, as always, will be identifying those individuals who can become top class international players, as opposed to simply "good" players. Wales, Ireland and, to a sadly lesser degree, Scotland focus their resources better and squeeze every ounce of potential from the players available. They have to. England has always had the luxury of options, but it's getting the right players, and the right combination of players, into the 1st XV that's the real trick.

Lancaster has done some really good things, but so far he still hasn't maxmised the talent available to him in my book.

That last point is interesting, who springs to mind? Wade pops into mine. Kvesic to a lesser extent.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:39 am

With the choices we have there are always likely to be controversial decisions made over selections.

I suppose the question with Wade is this. Nobody doubts the talent, but does the talent outweigh the weaknesses in defense against the very best?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:47 am

Indeed. Cant help but feel but for the Lions call to make up numbers we would by now know for sure 1 way or the other.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:48 am

lostinwales to be fair -English wingers aren't exactly famed for their defence. Wade is not great but is he any worse than the others? Perhaps but not by much.

The problem is that Lancaster has failed to minimise the defensive weakness of English wingers and has not effectively used their strengths. I do geniunely think he's utilised Ashton in particular poorly - why is it that only under Lancaster has he been poor?

His main attacking weapon has been the 13.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:57 am

Bit of a mystery. We ve seen other wingers inside looking for the ball and he certainly had the chances. Seen his runs in support blocked a few timess o maybe teams wised up a little. With the wingers now getting more chances and tries it mayh ave been worth another chance. Probably relying a little on injuries though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Kitchener
Wade
Daly

Just 3 that instantly spring to mind. Brad Thorn even said if Kitchener was a NZ'er he would have been a AB.

BUt Lancaster has a very strict model he is working to.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:07 pm

2nd row is a strong area for England though and its Slater from Leicester for me who s the better player. Perhaps should have been above kruis. I like Daly alot but another whoi s criticised for defence.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I think England's pipeline is exceptional at the moment. What marks it out for me is that you have plenty of different types of player coming through in each position, meaning that a strong coaching set-up can mix and blend the options to whatever particular style they are seeking to achieve.

That last point is interesting, who springs to mind? Wade pops into mine. Kvesic to a lesser extent.

Wade most certainly, and whilst Brown has been excellent at 15, the potential in Anthony Watson as a strike runner is considerable. I see Watson, Wade and May as one of the most exciting attacking back threes in world rugby, and if you combine those three with the attacking capabilities of Joseph, Ford and Ben Youngs, then England really ought to be in a better place. The real debate is over the 12 jersey, but until Burgess is playing in that role for Bath and performing consistently well, I think Brad Barritt would be the player to knit together the talent I've outlined previously.

I think Lancaster has done a better job with the pack, and there are two or three really good options in most positions. You could argue that purely from a rugby perspective Steffon Armitage could have been used to improve the back row, but to be honest I think Lancaster has used pretty much the right options with the pack. The 2 jersey will be interesting in the World Cup, and whether George and Cowan-Dickie get picked.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next