The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP

+4
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
SimonofSurrey
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Go down

SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:49 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A TWELVE MAN SQUAD FOR THE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP GAME AGAINST THE WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS AT THE KIA OVAL ON TUESDAY.
The Surrey squad to play the Worcestershire Rapids in the Royal London One Day Cup at the Kia Oval on Tuesday 4th August :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
the viscount is away with the second XI so no drinks duty for him Laugh
toss of a coin between burns and foakes to miss out
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty Re: SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 03 Aug 2015, 4:14 pm

Would be tough to drop 3rd Degree after just one game and since Harold redeemed himself with some smart keeping yesterday, it looks like it'll be That's All for That's All*.

(*Surrey supporters will of course get all this but I've just realised our guests from Worcs might struggle to follow what I mean Headscratch)

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty Re: SURREY vs WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:24 pm

Mat, pack of wolves et al - prepare to be Curran-ed Cool
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:23 pm

Agree that it's likely to be between Foakes and Burns for selection.

Surrey playing really well at the moment, but always need to be aware of hubris! Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm

Surrey 221 - 3 after 37 overs.  Le Roi king scored 99 clap Sad  Good knock too from Sangakkara. Third degree and Harold batting now - they really need to press on, especially as we have several batsmen who can hit boundaries to come, and no doubt chomping at the bit.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:20 pm

We have stuck with the same XI so Wilson gets the nod of Foakes - or Burns over Foakes depending on how you look at it!

Roy has become the latest victim of the Surrey openers nervous 90s, falling for 99 from 95 balls.

Surrey currently 224-3 from 37.5 overs having won the toss and batted first.

Sanga made 76 before falling to Shantry so Third Degree and Harold are performing a mini rebuilding act to ensure wickets in hand for the final overs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm

Burns stumped off Ajmal for 61 off 50 balls. A good knock from him which justifies his place.

279/4 from 44 overs

We need to kick on in these last 6 overs now to ensure a really strong score on what is a good batting pitch.

If we can get up to the 330 as a minimum but preferably up to around 340-350 mark then I will be a very happy brown cap. thumbsup

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:48 pm

Burns stumped for 61 (from 50 balls) off last ball of Ajmal's spell. He accelerated well towards the end of that knock. clap 279 - 4 with 6 overs to go. Hopefully Ansari and or Curran will really cash in with the last few overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:49 pm

King Carlos - sorry to be repetitive! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:52 pm

Harold needs to kick on here. He's current 26 from 29 balls but given his recent struggles for form and the position of the game he can't afford to get out without getting that strike rate up above a run a ball.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:56 pm

Apologies for doing the same to you earlier Corporal. Smile

Does the mess have the licence neccessary to watch this particular game or are you following via other means?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm

Ansari is batting well here. It really is remarkable how different a batsmen he is in one day cricket to the longer stuff!

* That said he did just miss out on a wide half volley with the offside field up.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:12 pm

Two now three run outs - Ansari and Burke and now Harold - mean Surrey not really capitalising on their good start. furious

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:14 pm

A really poor penultimate over there.

Leach bowls 2 wides and a no ball in an over that goes for 6 runs with two run outs. Village.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:17 pm

king_carlos wrote:Apologies for doing the same to you earlier Corporal. Smile

Does the mess have the licence neccessary to watch this particular game or are you following via other means?

Just following this one on cricinfo! Wary about turning on Church's commentary as we always seem to lose wickets when I do that!  No additional licences to watch live cricket held here Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:17 pm

328 - 7 from 50 overs.

A good score and it should be defended but it could have been considerably better.

Are we lacking a big hitter down the order to finish an innings off if Tom Curran doesn't come off?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm

King Carlos I think we do have batsmen who can score rapidly, down the order - Ansari, Burke, Curran. I think today we were blighted by that spate of run outs which meant that we probably scored 20+ fewer than we should have when there were about 5 overs to go.

Our more usual problem is a somewhat pedestrian middle order failing to capitalise on a good start.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm

Whoa guys! Further up this thread the corp mentioned hubris: he has a point. We have three exceptional players in good form at the top of the order then several others capable of useful contributions. 49 off the last 6 overs? That's a fair return from our middle/lower middle order. Our total of 328 is yet another stiff target and again the day's highest score in this competition. If Worcs make it, bravo them. But if they do, let's not get complacent or greedy: we're consistently making very large 50 over totals.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Aug 2015, 6:29 pm

Sam Curran getting it through around 83/84 mph - impressive considering he looks like 12
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Whoa guys! Further up this thread the corp mentioned hubris: he has a point. We have three exceptional players in good form at the top of the order then several others capable of useful contributions. 49 off the last 6 overs? That's a fair return from our middle/lower middle order. Our total of 328 is yet another stiff target and again the day's highest score in this competition. If Worcs make it, bravo them. But if they do, let's not get complacent or greedy: we're consistently making very large 50 over totals.  

Spot on Simon... We have an excellent score...if worcs beat us, so be it, but we 've had a fantastic run of scores in this competition....no complaints from me! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:38 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:King Carlos I think we do have batsmen who can score rapidly, down the order - Ansari, Burke, Curran.  I think today we were blighted by that spate of run outs which meant that we probably scored 20+ fewer than we should have when there were about 5 overs to go.

Our more usual problem is a somewhat pedestrian middle order failing to capitalise on a good start.    

I would just question whether the 3 of them will do so with consistency. I very much get the feeling that Zafar is a guy who is finding is place in the one day batting line-up. He currently feels like a guy who needs more time at the crease than 6 will often allow but isn't quite producing with the consistency needed to bat above that in a strong line-up. He can go big from the start but whether he is the man to do so consistently in his current role, I am unsure.

Burke and Curran snr are certainly capable of fireworks but again frequency would be my worry.

Of course pinch hitting late on won't come off every time but ideally it needs to do so more often than not. I just worry that we wont quite reach that.

That said I would still take those 3 at 6/7/8 over most other line-ups we will face in the competition so it is far from a big worry.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:41 pm

Was gonna say - being disappointed with 328 is hardly the worst position to be in Smile

Davies drop of Fell could be costly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:49 pm

145-2 from 28 overs

Everything is looking a little bit comfortable for the batsmen at the moment. We could do with a wicket.

I am not a fan of letting the game meander in the middle overs so if spin from both ends continues to be milked I'd like to see a quick back into the attack sooner rather than later.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:09 pm

S.Curran looks a top talent.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:20 pm

First Pitt the even younger gets the key wicket of Fell.

Then Pitt the minorly senior picks up Dolly the most jnr yet (as of 2015) Erm

Agreed Sam looks a fantastic talent. As mentioned early he is getting the ball through at decent canter. With his whippy action he should be able to put plenty more pace on as he naturally grows and gets stronger.

Plenty of accuracy, good control of swing and a bit of pace. Not a bad skill set for the youngster!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:22 pm

His brother needs a haircut though. Awful barnet.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:25 pm

James Burke as well.

His direct hit from 50 yards out earlier was a wonderful bit of fielding. I think the main observation I took from it was his Charlton bouncing around as he ran looking terrible rather than him being an excellent fielder. Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm

As I say that Burke comes back into the attack, gets smacked for a 6 by Clarke but then gets his man caught in the deep as Clarke goes for broke again.

A good riposte from the young man. Smile

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:32 pm

16 and a wicket off that over from Burke. Worcs required run rate is 9.83.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:58 pm

258 - 6. Burke removes Whiteley. Could be a close finish - 71 runs needed off 46 balls. Surrey will need to keep taking wickets to win this one.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:03 pm

Burke just has that habit of picking up wickets - no matter how bad he bowls!

As I type the younger Curran picks up another wicket - what a talent he is
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:11 pm

Curran Minor 10 overs 3 for 49. Excellent figures. clap And Burke bowls Cox. thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:26 pm

Dernbach takes two wickets in two balls to wrap up the victory.  At various stages of their innings Worcs were in with a reasonable shout, and had wickets in hand. The two Currans were the most economical of our bowlers, both coming in at below 5 runs an over.  Burke was pretty expensive but, as Olly says, he does have a knack of taking wickets.

That's a fifth straight win in this competition.  guinness guinness guinness

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:27 pm

Well played Surrey yet again... Great attempt by Worcs too...always thought that runs on the Board would come out on top in the end... What a great run of form we are in at the moment! Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm

Just back from the game chaps any news on Burns and Zafar?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:42 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Just back from the game chaps any news on Burns and Zafar?
What kind of news - are they injured?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 05 Aug 2015, 7:36 am

Think burns went off with a hamstring injury

Only news on ansariforengland is that he's a boss
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 05 Aug 2015, 11:08 am

Ok, so we've now proved beyond reasonable that this team is capable of setting a stiff target then defending it. What I'd love to see in our last group games is us chase down a stiff target or two, ideally with significant contributions from below the top 3. I don't want us to find ourselves in the uncharted waters of two down for small change in the QF chasing well north of 250, unless we happen to have been through that scenario successfully already.

If I were opposing captains, I'd bat first against us from now on, if only to see how we respond to 'scoreboard pressure' batting second, rather than inviting us to show - yet again - we can set huge targets.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 06 Aug 2015, 6:17 pm

Joe Clarke though. The kid can play. 50 odd against Surrey, anyone see the knock and can report on it? Then he got 130* off 110 against the Yorkies the day after. Only just 19 too.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:37 pm

From what I saw he looked tidy very tidy. Pretty comfortable against the spinners too. Promising
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down