The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge

+38
robbo277
AlciG
JDizzle
Dolphin Ziggler
killer938
Gwlad
temporary21
Good Golly I'm Olly
Hammersmith harrier
Steffan
ShahenshahG
dummy_half
Mad for Chelsea
TRUSSMAN66
dyrewolfe
JamesLincs
Hoggy_Bear
1GrumpyGolfer
alfie
Corporalhumblebucket
trebellbobaggins
Scottrf
liverbnz
LivinginItaly
Fernando
jbeadlesbigrighthand
hampo17
sirfredperry
KP_fan
Stella
Marky
Gooseberry
Duty281
CaledonianCraig
GSC
kingraf
seanmichaels
VTR
42 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge - Page 17 Empty England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge

Post by VTR Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:00 am

First topic message reminder :

As The Ashes thread has gone on a tangent arguing over who is SA's best fast bowler, let's get back on topic with a match thread.

Conditions for the 5 days look generally dry so there will be an almost certain result for either team. Also looking cloudy for large periods, so the loss of Anderson might be huge for England

England: Cook, Lyth, Bell, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Broad, Wood, Finn

Australia: Rogers, Warner, Smith, S Marsh, Clarke, Voges, Nevill, Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon

Last edited by VTR on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

VTR

Back to top Go down

England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge - Page 17 Empty Re: England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge

Post by kingraf Sun 09 Aug 2015, 12:05 am

Sorry wasn't clear. The message above mine which I was responding to was deleted before I pressed send. I was speaking regarding them playing a T20 game because there was only 30 minutes of cricket. Today. Fully in favour of the five test series, and would love it if we had the odd one chucked our way.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge - Page 17 Empty Re: England vs Australia 4th Test, Trent Bridge

Post by KP_fan Sun 09 Aug 2015, 8:17 am

I think Maxwell has the potential to be another Smith as a pure batsman
and Faulkner should be picked as a pure bowler that he is IMO
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

Few would have predicted 3-1 (may be even 4-1) for England. This Ashes victory has prompted thoughts on the most dramatic/best England Ashes series.
1981, for excitement, clearly stands out.
2005 was a daren't-miss-a-ball thriller.
1954/55 was a terrific 3-1 away win by England achieved after a 1st Test hammering.
But I reckon the 2010/11 Strauss tour was the outstanding achievement - a 3-1 victory with each of the wins by an innings.
It's been pointed out just how difficult it is for Test teams to win away from home. Given the shortness of modern tours, with few warm-up matches, it's hardly surprising.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 09 Aug 2015, 9:56 am

Pretty much endorse Sir Fred's choices above.

1981 was surely tops for dramatic twists ; 2005 stands out as a surprise win , in several quite thrilling contests , for England over a truly great Australian opponent ; and 2010/11 was surely the most comprehensive demolition of Australia on their own turf in modern times. (The 5-1 win by Brearley's team in 1978 tends to be devalued a bit because of the weakened Australian team ; but you can only beat who you are facing , so should rate a mention)
And a word for one series which went the other way : in 1961 the two teams had traded wins at Lord's and Headingley before Australia "stole" the deciding match at Old Trafford due to a remarkable spell of bowling by Richie Benaud , after Ted Dexter had batted England within touching distance of victory.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 09 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm

I wouldnt discard the marshes. Their mistake was bringing in Shaun for his brother and having only 3 seamers! Something clarke was cleary furious about as he was bowling Warner.
S marsh needs to open with Warner and Mitch has to replace Watson. The problem with their batting is the same as before, the swinging ball

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 09 Aug 2015, 3:33 pm

Smashing Aus in Australia, a demolition job, is top for me too
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

GSC wrote:Smashing Aus in Australia, a demolition job, is top for me too

Boxing day at Melbourne in that series probably the peak of that Strauss/flower era. Immaculate performance
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 09 Aug 2015, 3:41 pm

Waking up after the first day when I think Siddle took a hat trick, thinking here we go again.

Then Cook, Strauss and Trott batted until Christmas to make a draw.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 09 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm

VTR: in your opening post on this thread, you said: 'Conditions for the 5 days look generally dry so there will be an almost certain result for either team.'

Not sure I agree - it was forecast to be rainy today, day 4 and tomorrow, so whoever would be on top at the end of the third day's play ... Oh, hang on - scrub that. Gratuitous and gloating. I admit, but fun.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:25 am

SimonofSurrey wrote:VTR: in your opening post on this thread, you said: 'Conditions for the 5 days look generally dry so there will be an almost certain result for either team.'

Not sure I agree - it was forecast to be rainy today, day 4 and tomorrow, so whoever would be on top at the end of the third day's play ... Oh, hang on - scrub that. Gratuitous and gloating. I admit, but fun.

Haha, my bad. What I should have written was: conditions for days 1 to 3 looking dry, so there's little chance of the Aussies taking this to Day 4!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17