The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v Italy, 29 August

+40
RuggerRadge2611
Shifty
thomh
A Simply Mesmeric Try
takethelongroad
Prothero
EST
fa0019
justified sinner
reallybored
tigertattie
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
IanBru
madmaccas
InjuredYetAgain
21st Century Schizoid Man
Nematode
Manky-Flanker
cp10
EWT Spoons
highland_scot
NeilyBroon
BigGee
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Majestic83
des
TJ
Captain_Sensible
sensisball
Weegie Wizard
R!skysports
alive555
funnyExiledScot
GLove39
cakeordeath
RDW
jimbopip
George Carlin
44 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Scotland v Italy, 29 August - Page 4 Empty Scotland v Italy, 29 August

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 13:57

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Italy, 29 August - Page 4 Scot_f10      Scotland v Italy, 29 August - Page 4 Italy_10
SCOTLAND v ITALY
29 August 2015
KO: 15:15 BST
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Live on BT Sport

Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant Referees: [TBC]
TMO: [TBC]

A. Head to Head

24 Played 24
16 Won 8
0 Drawn 0
8 Lost 8
540 Points 428

B. Recent Form

22 August 2015
Stadio Olimpico di Torino, Turin
12–16 to Scotland

28 February 2015
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh
19 – 22 to Italy

22 February 2014
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
20 – 21 to Scotland

22 June 2013
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria, South Africa
30 – 29 to Scotland

9 February 2013
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
34 – 10 to Scotland

17 March 2012
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
13 – 6 to Italy

20 August 2011
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
23 – 12 to Scotland

19 March 2011
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
21 – 8 to Scotland

C. Teams

SCOTLAND
Scotland v Italy, 29 August - Page 4 Katie_10
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps; 9 tries, 1 pen, 48 points
14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 95 caps; 12 tries, 60 points
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
12 Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps, 1 try, 1 con, 1 pen, 10 points
11 Tim Visser (Harlequins); 19 caps; 7 tries, 35 points
10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps; 1 try, 1 con, 7 points
09 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 39 caps; 3 tries, 41 cons, 81 pens, 340 points

01 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 45 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
02 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 87 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
03 Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
04 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps, 1 try, 5 points
05 Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps; 1 try, 5 points
06 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
07 John Barclay (Scarlets) – 44 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
08 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) – 26 caps

16 Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
17 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps
18 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps; 1 try
19 Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps; 1 try, 5 points
20 Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 12 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
21 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
22 Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps) – 26 caps; 4 cons, 2 pens, 2 drops, 20 points
23 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 27 caps, 3 tries, 15 points

ITALY
Scotland v Italy, 29 August - Page 4 Alessa10
15 Luke McLean, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Leonardo Sarto, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani; 1 Matias Aguero, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini (c), 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 4 Marco Fuser, 5 Joshua Furno, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 7 Francesco Minto, 8 Samuela Vunisa.

Replacements: 16 Andrea Manici, 17 Michele Rizzo, 18 Dario Chistolini, 19 Quintin Geldenhuys, 20 Mauro Bergamasco, 21 Marcello Violi, 22 Carlo Canna, 23 Andrea Masi.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 29 Aug 2015 - 11:25; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Italy, 29 August - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland v Italy, 29 August

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:28

I am assuming that Dodson played a major role in brokering the Macron and BT Sport deals which is the reason that we are currently floating in a sea of cash*. If that is correct, then he deserves some credit. The length of the contract is immaterial really - if he wants to go or is pushed before that, then he will - the only difference is the size of the golden handshake he receives at the end.

As an aside, Dodson is CEO of Scottish Rugby. So whom did he agree the terms of his contract with? I hope that he negotiated hard with himself at length to secure a good salary. Bubbly

*Or perhaps we just owe the banks a bit less.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 13:45; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:29

funnyExiledScot wrote:
nickj wrote:On another note what does everyone think of the following first choice back row and bench cover?

Strauss
Hardie
Denton

Harley
Cowan

Denton and Strauss are completely interchangeable and it gives us a pretty dynamic bench?

Does any one think this might be the one Vern goes for?  

I think that's broadly where we're heading. I wonder with Strauss not being involved prior to the World Cup will mean that he's used as an impact sub rather than a starter, with Cowan starting at 6.

No sure about Harley on the bench though. I suspect Grant Gilchrist will end up on the bench covering lock. Not sure Harley is going to make the cut.
Yes, I agree - I'm not sensing a lot of love for Harley and we know that size matters to Uncle Vern.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:36

With the order of play being what it is, you certainly have a point re Strauss. I really like the flexibility Cowan at 6 gives us, but it means we lack a bit of bulk, though that would matter less against the Japanese than the Samoans.

I really hope you are wrong about Harley. In my mind, he's done very little wrong and he's had very little chance to show whether the improved form he showed in the final is back for good.

He was obviously cream crackered for the 6 nations, but the reasons he was picked still stand today. I picked him for the bench because he is a horrible guy for our opponents to see coming on at 60 to close out a game.  

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:37

George Carlin wrote:I am assuming that Dodson played a major role in brokering the Macon and BT Sport deals which is the reason that we are currently floating in a sea of cash*. If that is correct, then he deserves some credit. The length of the contract is immaterial really - if he wants to go or is pushed before that, then he will - the only difference is the size of the golden handshake he receives at the end.

As an aside, Dodson is CEO of Scottish Rugby. So whom did he agree the terms of his contract with? I hope that he negotiated hard with himself at length to secure a good salary. Bubbly

*Or perhaps we just owe the banks a bit less.

I was thinking exactly the same. Conflict of interests and all that...

I have my doubts he'll see out the 5 years too. Its all about the pay-off.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:44

I must add that I have serious doubts over the stability of the Macron deal too.

Have any of you seen what passes as a 'large' in those boys' eyes?

An anorexic Zola midgetalike couldn't fit in one.

I'd be the first to admit that I'm an example of 'Dad bod', but I'm nobody's idea of a f**ing XXL.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:53

Good point, NickJ - I'm buying the new Scotland top on Saturday, I'll be mighty p!ssed if the child's XXL is now too small for me. I'm just not ready to make the step up to adult S.

Also, the extra £7 is going to stick in my craw all the way back to the Toon.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 12:56

laughing

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 13:13

Some nice positive news coming out the camp from Bennett:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34063232

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 13:34

I'm quite pleased that Dodson has re-signed himself. If you look back to 2011 when he took over, he has made a lot of big calls and has got most of them right.

He punted Lineen and moved Townsend in - a move that was universally ridiculed (including by me). Solomons and Cotter are also great appointments.

The Macron/BT deals have massively increased revenue

Warriors move to Scotstoun - ok a lot of that came from Nathan B but Dodson got on board early doors and it has worked well.

The academy structure looks good and is certainly miles better than what went before. The u20s results have also improved over the last year or two

The one thing the jury is still out on is the clubs restructure. I know Dodson's orginal plan for the super league was shot down about 18 months ago and, probably as a result, there was almost no consultation on the new system. But if this works, and clubs (with SRU help hopefully) are forced to go and promote rugby in state schools to maintain their playing numbers, we will have gone a long way to solving a problem that has plagued Scottish rugby since forever.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:16

On Dodson, I think it's a good move. Things are heading in the right direction, however, I think there should be a little more urgency on finding Edinburgh a new ground.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:20

Well my starting lineup would be:

Dickinson
Ford
Nel
Gray
Gray
Strauss
Hardie
Denton
???
Russell
Seymour
Horne
Bennett
Lamont
Hogg

I'd be tempted to go with Pyrgos at 9 to keep an all Glasgow backline but I'd like to see how Laidlaw goes. It's tough to omit Dunbar and Maitland, but I'd be concerned playing them if they are not fully fit and there was the possibility of more damage being done.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:23

For me Dodson has been a great appointment and should continue in the role. Revenue up and debt down with investment in all areas of rugby from the cash released.

As Weegie Wizard has said, I would say next thing Dodson has to tackle (excuse the pun) is a fully functioning (semi-)pro competition below Glasgow and Edinburgh level and a better venue for Edinburgh. I would say these are even more important than a 3rd pro team.

Personally, I don't want the semi-pro league to be clubs-based but re-introduction of the districts (South, West, Edinburgh, Midlands and North) with summer rugby. With the introduction of the Midlands and North you start to build a base around which you start a 3rd pro team.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:35

Nematode wrote:
Russell
Seymour
Horne
Bennett
Lamont
Hogg

That's a risky backline. You need at least one carrier in the centre. Toony only used that pairing once last season against Ulster. If you look at most of his teams you have a carrier at 12 or 13. Having neither as a effective crash ball option will limit your options as a backline making it easier to defend against.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:36

I'm not unhappy about Dodson continuing. He at least understands the need to get the business fundamentals right and we are on a far more solid financial footing than when he took over.

More urgent that anything else though is putting in place a policy which prevents Scott Johnson being able to talk to Vern Cotter.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:39

cp10 wrote:
Nematode wrote:
Russell
Seymour
Horne
Bennett
Lamont
Hogg

That's a risky backline. You need at least one carrier in the centre. Toony only used that pairing once last season against Ulster. If you look at most of his teams you have a carrier at 12 or 13. Having neither as a effective crash ball option will limit your options as a backline making it easier to defend against.

I'm not totally convinced by that analysis. If you want a lumbering lump to chug the ball forward then Lamont could do that for you from first phase off the wing, and thereafter in open play you can co-opt your ball carrying forwards like Nel, Ford, Grayx2, Strauss and Denton into service.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:42

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm not unhappy about Dodson continuing. He at least understands the need to get the business fundamentals right and we are on a far more solid financial footing than when he took over.

More urgent that anything else though is putting in place a policy which prevents Scott Johnson being able to talk to Vern Cotter.

Lets's not limit ourselves to just Vern.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 14:49

funnyExiledScot wrote:
cp10 wrote:
Nematode wrote:
Russell
Seymour
Horne
Bennett
Lamont
Hogg

I'm not totally convinced by that analysis. If you want a lumbering lump to chug the ball forward then Lamont could do that for you from first phase off the wing, and thereafter in open play you can co-opt your ball carrying forwards like Nel, Ford, Grayx2, Strauss and Denton into service.

Did I say Lamont or any forward - no. So the league winning Townsends doens't know what he's doing - right... Take Glasgow, Horne only played 12 with Bennet once. Townsend always picks one carrier at 12 or 13 in all but 1 game.

Dunbar and Scott are great 12s as the offer three options and do them very well - carry, evasion or passing. As soon as you remove one of those from the 12 you then give the defender 2 options. If you then reduce that again to one the defender knows exactly what you do (Morrison).

You always have 1 carrier in your centres. Look at most of the top teams. England have Burrell and Josephs, France have Fofana and Bastareaud, New Zealand have Nonu and Smith, Oz have Toomua and Kuridrani. Notice the pattern? A carrier and a ball player. If they can do all three skills you're laughing.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 15:09

I'm not saying for one minute I would select Horne/Bennett in tandem - I would always pick one of Scott/Dunbar at 12, or possibly play both Scott/Dunbar in tandem. I just don't think it's as simple as saying you have to have a ball carrier, not when you have Lamont on the wing who could easily take the crash ball from first phase off the fly half. What you really need is a balanced backline - whether the centres balance or not can be offset by what you have on the wing.

Still, all the best team as you rightly say have a physical player in the centres. Luckily for them they all seem to have big blokes who can also play a bit, whereas in the past we've always had to choose between small and skillful vs big and lumbering.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 16:57

My 2p worth

My team would be

Forwards:
Dickinson
Ford
Nel
Gray
Gray
Cowan
Hardie
Denton

Backs:
Pyrgos
Russell
Seymour
Scott
Bennett
Lamont
Hogg

Why these boys?

Well I think it's time we actually started warming up the guys most likely to play in the World Cup.

The Front row kinda speaks for itself, as does Gray x2.
Denton seems to be the form 8 at the mo so gets the slot. (just wish he would offload more sucessfully) Ashe would be my bench spot for the backrow though.
Cowan I'm putting at 6 to see how he would get on there. I also like this way of playing almost two opensides, it fits in with the style of play we are after! It also sticks in my craw somewhat about Strauss going right into the WC team without any caps. But if he is to be shoe-horned in, then it's Cowan I think would be dropped.
Hardie or Barclay would be the number 7, I would have picked Barclay but he's mostly been playing at 8 this season. Hardie suffers from a bit of the same issue as Strauss but at least he's played a few international games by the time the WC kicks off! He also seems to be the form 7 out of the bunch (arguably Watson is, but he's out on his ear already)

9 needs to be Piecrust as Froddo is just meh. Having said that, with this still being a warm up game, froddo may play himself out of the sqaud if his service is shockingly bad.
10 is dancer coz we have no one else
11 is covered by his Lamontness. Visser is benching and I'd give him 30 to 40 mins to see if he can tackle, cover, close space. If he can't then the solidness of Shlong is the 11 for the WC as I'm not for risking Maitland's career until he is 100% ready
12 is Matt Scott (12) - Dunbar is not to be considered until 100% sure he's fit. I'm not ruining a great centre on a maybe's aye, maybe's naw!
13 is Bennett's time to show he is fit. He needs the game time. If he's not ready then the other messiah continues in the 13 shirt.
14 is Seymour - only winger currently scoring tries
15 is Hogg, nuff said

bench can be anyone still on the fringes to see what they can do. Brown/McInally or Horne/Tonks would be the benchers depending on what style of game we are planning to deploy against what team!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 17:33

I'd agree that it's hard to pick Dunbar and Maitland until they've had a run out and we know they are fit to play. They would both make my notional 1st XV, but assuming they don't make it this would be my team for Japan/South Africa/Samoa:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Cowan 7.Barclay 8.Denton 9.SH-C 10.Russell 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Bennett 14.Seymour 15.Hogg

16.Reid 17.McInally 18.Welsh 19.Gilchrist 20.Strauss 21.Pyrgos 22.Horne 23.Lamont

Message to the team: attack and back yourselves.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 19:43

So who isn't in the squad yet?  imo:

Front-row: 8 - Brown, Dickinson, Ford, Grant, McInally, Nel, Reid, Welsh

Expecting all 8 still in squad to be in, don't see us gambling on 2 props.

Second-row: 3 - Gray, Gray, Harley    +1 Gilchrist or Hamilton

Bit trickier due to Harley's inclusion as lock but I'd be surprised if he didn't travel and get called upon as a blind-side.  So probably only one-spot for either Gilchrist or Hamilton, Gilchrist's final audition against Italy?  Could be wrong on Harley, which would mean an extra spot in the back-row.

Back-row: 3 - Strauss, Denton, Cowan    +2 Barclay or Hardie / Ashe or Wilson

Literally no-idea, assume Strauss and Denton will be involved and Harley will be there but under-cover.  If Cowan goes as utility there could be space for two more 7s from Barclay, Hardie & Blake.  If Cowan goes primarily as an 7 there's probably only one space for another 7 and one 6/8 from Ashe & Wilson.

Forwards 14 / 17

Half-backs: 4 - Russell, Laidlaw, Pyrgos, Hidalgo-Clyne    +1 Jackson or Weir

Expect us to go with all three scrum-halves and 2 fly-halves. So it would appear as if it's a straight shoot-out between Weir & Jackson but neither are in the squad for weekend, so has the decision been made already?  Or could Horne or Tonks inclusion mean there's only space for one specialist fly-half?

Centre: 3 - Scott, Horne, Bennett    +1 Dunbar or Vernon

Dunbar's fitness is an unknown (to us at least), so if he's out then Vernon will definitely be in.  However if they're unsure, they could always include Dunbar and Vernon at the expense of either Jackson or Weir and have Horne cover fly-half(or Laidlaw)?  

Back-three: 3 - Hogg, Seymour, Lamont    +2 Maitland or Visser or Tonks

Maitland's fitness is critical, if he's considered a risk then surely we have to take Tonks (or Jackson?) to cover Hogg.  But if he's fine and covers 15, then surely Visser's superior attacking will see him ahead of Tonks?  Lamont's versatility, reliability, experience and form probably gets him in.

Backs 10 / 14

Seeing as the final squad is submitted before the French match it would appear:

The selection of the final backs is contingent on the injuries to Dunbar and Maitland.
Either Hamilton is already out or this is Gilchrist's final audition.
Performance and positions of flankers this weekend will determine make-up of final couple spots in the forwards.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 20:45

IanBru wrote:Good point, NickJ - I'm buying the new Scotland top on Saturday, I'll be mighty p!ssed if the child's XXL is now too small for me. I'm just not ready to make the step up to adult S.

Also, the extra £7 is going to stick in my craw all the way back to the Toon.

And I thought I was the only Aberdonian on here!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 26 Aug 2015 - 20:52

I suspect there's a bit of 'group think' going on here guys the starting second row will be Gray, J and Gilchrist,Ritchie will bench. Unless VC decides he wants Harley plus an backrow on the bench to give him 60 minute options.

Otherwise most of the above thoughts seem sensible.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 9:10

I think we might see Harley start in the second row for this match. If they are considering him in that position then surely they have got to try him out there. Harley and Gilchrist to start for me with JG on the bench. Then next week it will be Gray and Gray v France.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 9:27

Team named at 12.30 today I beleive

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 9:33

BigGee wrote:I think we might see Harley start in the second row for this match. If they are considering him in that position then surely they have got to try him out there. Harley and Gilchrist to start for me with JG on the bench. Then next week it will be Gray and Gray v France.

I really feel for Harley, as he really isn't an international class 2nd row, but is an international class blindside. He's having to justify his selection however by showing that he is good enough for the 2nd row.

He could miss out because VC asked him to change position.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 9:49

BigGee wrote:I think we might see Harley start in the second row for this match. If they are considering him in that position then surely they have got to try him out there. Harley and Gilchrist to start for me with JG on the bench. Then next week it will be Gray and Gray v France.

I agree. We can't possibly consider Harley a second row without seeing him play in that position for Scotland. I personally think he's a 6 and only a 6.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 9:53

Surely Harley would be smashed at lock in the scrum?

Why waste his loose play talents by keeping him involved in the arm wrestle of a front five role? One where he's facing chaps 10kg heavier than him at least?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 10:01

Well whatever we think, VC seems to have other ideas. Lets see how he goes there. He may struggle to get in the squad as a pure 6 anyway. This may be his best chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 10:04

Harley has played second row before has he not? He would be a useful man to have in the squad

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 10:05

TJ wrote:Harley has played second row before has he not?  He would be a useful man to have in the squad

Very rarely.

Denton has filled in at 2nd row before too but that doesn't make it an ideal option!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 10:36

I would rather have Harley in the second row than Denton, at least he will get down and graft.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 11:02

BigGee wrote:I would rather have Harley in the second row than Denton, at least he will get down and graft.

I agree with that, but both come a distant 2nd to Grayx2, Gilchrist and Hamilton.

I do think we can get too bogged down with versatility, and forget to just pick the best players for the specialist roles we want them to fulfil on the pitch. If we end up with Harley at lock against South Africa then we have problems.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 11:38

Why do I get that sinking feeling that we will all be baffled #AsOne with the team selection at lunchtime?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 11:43

George Carlin wrote:Why do I get that sinking feeling that we will all be baffled #AsOne with the team selection at lunchtime?

I honestly can't see much source for bafflement in that squad list. Unless Vern goes completely clucking crazy and picks Wee Jonny at flyhalf.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 11:51

Captain_Sensible wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Why do I get that sinking feeling that we will all be baffled #AsOne with the team selection at lunchtime?

I honestly can't see much source for bafflement in that squad list. Unless Vern goes completely clucking crazy and picks Wee Jonny at flyhalf.
Here's a Scott Johnson selection from that squad list:

01 Greig Laidlaw
02 Finn Russell
03 Henry Pyrgos
04 David Denton
05 Ryan Wilson
06 John Barclay
07 Rob Harley
08 John Beattie Snr

09 Jon Welsh
10 Willem Nel
11 Jonny Gray
12 Ross Ford
13 Blair Cowan
14 Gordon Reid
15 Fraser Brown

5 number 8s in that starting line-up. What could possibly go wrong?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:22

Team's up

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Nel
4. Gray Jnr
5. Gilchrist
6. Wilson
7. Barclay
8. Denton
9. Laidlaw
10. Russell
11. Visser
12. Horne
13. Bennett
14. Lamont
15. Hogg

16 McInally
17 Reid
18 Welsh
19 Harley
20 Cowan
21 Pyrgos
22 Jackson
23 Scott

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:25

No complaints from me.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:25

So no Seymour. Bit weird

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:26

hmmmm wonder what happened to Tonks? He was mentioned in the short list a few days ago, whereas Jackson was omitted. Now Jackson's appears on the bench and Tonks is awol.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:26

madmaccas wrote:So no Seymour. Bit weird

Maybe he's carrying a niggle. I've no doubt he'll make the final cut, so they probably don't want to risk him.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:29

No real complaints from me either - the back row is a bit squiffy, but delighted for Ryan Wilson after the end of season he had.

The Tonks/Jackson switch is a bit strange, and the midfield is a bit light, but both Horne and Bennett will be better acquainted to Russell's round the corner offloading.

With Scott on the bench, I suppose it's down to next week's match and the possibility of Dunbar appearing to decide which of the two will travel.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:31

IanBru wrote:No real complaints from me either - the back row is a bit squiffy, but delighted for Ryan Wilson after the end of season he had.

The Tonks/Jackson switch is a bit strange, and the midfield is a bit light, but both Horne and Bennett will be better acquainted to Russell's round the corner offloading.

With Scott on the bench, I suppose it's down to next week's match and the possibility of Dunbar appearing to decide which of the two will travel.

I would be stunned if, both being fit, one of them doesn't travel.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:33

Captain_Sensible wrote:
madmaccas wrote:So no Seymour. Bit weird

Maybe he's carrying a niggle. I've no doubt he'll make the final cut, so they probably don't want to risk him.

Back pain http://thescotlandteam.com/2015/08/27/wholesale-changes-for-italy-test/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:36

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps; 9 tries, 1 pen, 48 points

14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 95 caps; 12 tries, 60 points
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
12 Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps, 1 try, 1 con, 1 pen, 10 points
11 Tim Visser (Harlequins); 19 caps; 7 tries, 35 points

10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps; 1 try, 1 con, 7 points
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 39 caps; 3 tries, 41 cons, 81 pens, 340 points

1 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 45 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 87 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
3 Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
4 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps; 1 try, 5 points
6 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
7 John Barclay (Scarlets) – 44 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) – 26 caps

Substitutes
16 Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
17 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps
18 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps; 1 try
19 Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps; 1 try, 5 points
20 Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 12 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
21 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
22 Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps) – 26 caps; 4 cons, 2 pens, 2 drops, 20 points
23 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 27 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:45

No problems with any of that apart from Lamont appearing again, but we know that this was forced by injury and Seymour should have been playing.

I am expecting a lot from this team - especially guys like Wilson and Barclay who will be looking to have the game of their careers.

Wonder where this exclusion leaves Hardie? I am absolutely positive we will see him next week now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:49

George Carlin wrote:No problems with any of that apart from Lamont appearing again, but we know that this was forced by injury and Seymour should have been playing.

I am expecting a lot from this team - especially guys like Wilson and Barclay who will be looking to have the game of their careers.

Wonder where this exclusion leaves Hardie? I am absolutely positive we will see him next week now.

Yep, I think he'll definitely be in the final squad. I'm very happy to have him, he looked excellent last week. Hits very hard in the tackle for his size, and he could have got a few turnovers if the ref had been stricter on the Italians holding onto the ball.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:56

Good team.

Delighted to see Barclay get a chance.

Regarding Harley, here's is my reasoning:

He will make the squad and will be listed as a lock but he's really there to play blind-side against either SA or Samoa.  There's no intention of starting him at lock, unless there's an emergency and we lose two locks.  

Against SA in particular, stopping their momentum and disrupting their possession is key and he is perfectly suited to that.  Plus our line-out functions better with him as a 3rd jumper, another important aspect against the Boks.  We'll have less ball, so his weaker carrying isn't a huge issue but his work-rate is a huge benefit.

For the first two-matches I'd hope we'd have more of the ball so we'll be going for a back-row with Denton and Strauss plus whoever wins the open-side debate (Cowan, Barclay, Hardie).

Fitness provided, it'll be the Gray brothers and probably Gilchrist filling the 4, 5, 19 spots.  

Harley might get some game-time at lock during Japan or USA, where we will probably get away with a slightly de-powered scrum in the final quarter.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 12:58

I'd swap Horne and Scott, but otherwise I'm pretty comfortable with that team.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 13:01

Bit odd that there's no Gray Snr!

Wilson at 6 is likely just keeping the space warm for Strauss!

6 Strauss
7 Barclay/Hardie
8 Denton
Sub Cowan

Thats quite a backrow with room for covering all positions if someone gets injured!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next