The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+5
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurryfan
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 Sep 2015, 3:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

For the final time this season Sad
SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR FINAL LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME OF THE SEASON AGAINST NORTHAMPTONSHIRE AT THE KIA OVAL STARTING TOMORROW.
Zafar Ansari is unavailable for selection due to the thumb injury he sustained in the game against Lancashire. Left arm spinner Freddie van den Bergh is named a Championship squad for the first time this season. happy corporal Wink
The Surrey squad to play Northamptonshire in the LV=County Championship at the Kia Oval on Tuesday 22nd September, Wednesday 23rd September, Thursday 24th September and Friday 25th September:
Gareth Batty (capt)
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Freddie van den Bergh
Gary Wilson
harinath and burke to miss out again imo
over to you chaps it's been emotional thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:56 pm

4th batting point Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Bonus points aren't going to make any difference for the Div 2 title now but I'm sure JimBob will happily accept another one - 300 up! Smile

They might. If Chelmsford turns into a high scoring road, Lancs could get 13 points from a drawn game leaving us to get a minimum of 5, ie what we have now +2 more (having secured 3 batting points) even if we lose, to be comfirmed as Div 2 Champions. Indeed, assuming we hit 5points soon - one way (bat) or another (bowl), Lancs will know that only a win for them will do.

If, if, if. The simplest solution is come on Surrey, may the tail wag then the bowlers get to work and secure a nice win to round off the season in style!

Simon - yep, I'll give you all that. Brilliantly worked out!

I think what I was mainly trying to get at was the same as your bottom line simplest solution! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:02 pm

353 - 8 as Tom Curran goes for a breezy 13. Well, that's the 4 batting point secured. Would be good if Sam Curran could reach his maiden half century.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

tom steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm

baby face into the nervous forties Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm

Meanwhile, 2nd bowling point for Lancs. Bl**dy Anderson!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

6 no balls! Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

yessss maiden 50 for baby face clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

I think Sam Curran is gonna end up being a better bat than bowler after seeing him do both a couple of times. Could see him being like a top 6 bat who's a 3rd/4th bowler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm

22 needed Fingers Crossed and that's stumps

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

Olly wrote:I think Sam Curran is gonna end up being a better bat than bowler after seeing him do both a couple of times. Could see him being like a top 6 bat who's a 3rd/4th bowler

Olly - I suspect senior cricket men at the Oval agree with you. Regardless of the result and what people think of the side we chose, it was a heck of a big call to bat him at 6 in Saturday's final.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:I think Sam Curran is gonna end up being a better bat than bowler after seeing him do both a couple of times. Could see him being like a top 6 bat who's a 3rd/4th bowler

Olly - I suspect senior cricket men at the Oval agree with you. Regardless of the result and what people think of the side we chose, it was a heck of a big call to bat him at 6 in Saturday's final.

Indeed and he took it in stride too. I can see him becoming a sort of much better Ben Stokes (a poor man's Jacques Kallis maybe)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm

Just in from work....I think we have at least 1 hand on that Div 2 trophy Very Happy..sounds like a really good day for our batsmen... And a big clap clap clap to Essex.....given day 1 is lost, it would take something really spectacular from Lancs to get a win from that position....still got to take 3 wickets..then bat and get a lead and then bowl out Essex very cheaply and then score some sort of total in the last innings unless they get 450 plus and then skittle them out...just can't see it....and in the meantime, we can't really lose from this position with just 2 days to go....so get ready to celebrate on Friday Yahoo .....(if Essex and Surry both lose..I will start my winter hibernation from this Board with immediate effect Rolling Eyes

Ps sad news that Ansari is definitely out for the England tour...a bit surprised by Patel's inclusion..... Gloucester have quite a good spinner...someone called Taylor Doh Anyone heard of hi, Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:54 pm

Not always totally convincing today but the eldest and the youngest came good.

Meanwhile, Essex will start day 3 at Chelmsford on 328/7. Too soon to count chickens but they will need to do something pretty stupid to lose from there.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:57 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Chichester - nope, it wasn't me. Well, unless the Surrey Chairman passed a separate message from me on to Churchy. I've been pushing (unsuccessfully, I now have to concede) for the Viscount to receive a county cap.

Anything said by the Viscount about the future? If he does open a coffee shop as he's mentioned before, we really must all go!

He came across so well in his chat with Churchie...really passionate about the game and obviously loved playing with Surrey....he said he avidly watched similar type bowlers to himself...including Never knowingly under sold, Magoffin, Masters...to see if he could learn from them...very modest about himself...talked a lot about wanting to get into coaching..not at a professional level, but more with youngsters in schools....no mention of a coffee shop yet....but if he does eventually open one up, I agree with you GB..a 606 trip would definitely be in order, with a milky latte to wash down a minty viscount! Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:11 pm

Perhaps the Viscount would like to open a coffee shop with McMuffin. Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:38 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Hi Chichester - nope, it wasn't me. Well, unless the Surrey Chairman passed a separate message from me on to Churchy. I've been pushing (unsuccessfully, I now have to concede) for the Viscount to receive a county cap.

Anything said by the Viscount about the future? If he does open a coffee shop as he's mentioned before, we really must all go!

He came across so well in his chat with Churchie...really passionate about the game and obviously loved playing with Surrey....he said he avidly watched similar type bowlers to himself...including Never knowingly under sold, Magoffin, Masters...to see if he could learn from them...very modest about himself...talked a lot about wanting to get into coaching..not at a professional level, but more with youngsters in schools....no mention of a coffee shop yet....but if he does eventually open one up, I agree with you GB..a 606 trip would definitely be in order, with a milky latte to wash down a  minty viscount! Yahoo

Hi again Chichester -thanks for that.

The first time I saw the Viscount was when he made his Surrey CC debut at Guildford against Essex and got a fourfer in the first innings. From memory, 2007(?). Anyway, between innings I noticed him walking round the outfield with Essex's David Masters chatting away.

Btw, what did ''Richard'' whom Churchy quoted have to say? I'm wondering if the Chairman passed on my note singing the Viscount's praises but having deleted my request for him to be capped!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:53 pm

guildford, he talked at length about his rivalry with Masters...they are obviously great friends ....he also talked about that single he got against Derbyshire that got us that absolutely crucial batting point to enable us to get promotion last time around ...he also mentioned the training he got from Ali Brown..he was desperate to try to hit his first ball he received for 4....a la The Brown way of doing things! That was very funny..he has a great sense of humour.... I guess he will be really missed on the dressing room. Tbh I can't remember exactly what Richard had said..other than what a top man the Viscount was.... I don't remember anything being said about him receiving a County Cap....I agree 100% with you... A real sense of injustice that he hasn't got one....time for a Downing St petition do you think? Or maybe a word with JC.... A friend of mine has got tickets for next week at Brighton to hear his big speech!...the roe of people sitting behind us at Lords on Sat were none too complimentary!..mind you I noticed that at least one of them had a Middx tie on, so no surprises there Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:04 pm

Thanks, Chichester.

Having got freebie CC tickets for Unison members, I would say that if JC can get a cap for the Viscount, then the third Mrs C can immediately start measuring up for curtains at Number 10! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 23 Sep 2015, 10:58 pm

I have seen him bat twice, and both times he was very impressive and looked every inch the front line batsman in the making.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 24 Sep 2015, 9:35 am

England UAE squad - totally agree that S Patel (good player though he is) is a lucky boy and that Taylor can consider himself very unlucky. Maybe this 'big County/small county' thing going on to which I alluded in an earlier post. Notts - Broad, Hales, Taylor etc - a more fashionable 'go to' County than Glos?

Sam Curran - I disagree. I think he's a huge talent with both bat and ball. The difference is raw batting talent is more apparent earlier. Good bowlers tend to become great ones with experience. I've seen enough of Sam this summer to convince me that he's got serious and equal potential in both.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 24 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

Ninth wicket pair went like a train (5+ an over), 5th batting point secured clap clap clap

Regardless of how we go from here, we will be Div 2 Champions if Lancs don't win.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Sep 2015, 11:54 am

Essex all out for 394 with Anderson taking 7 -77. clap There is no way Lancs can win, unless a declaration target is agreed.   Surrey benefitted from a declaration target set by Essex earlier in the season - so I'm wondering whether a spot of moral pressure will be applied by Lancs! Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Sep 2015, 12:40 pm

In reply Northant 55 -3. and a first bowling point.  Two wickets for Tom and then one for Sam Curran. clap  These guys really are something else!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2015, 12:47 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Essex all out for 394 with Anderson taking 7 -77. clap There is no way Lancs can win, unless a declaration target is agreed.   Surrey benefitted from a declaration target set by Essex earlier in the season - so I'm wondering whether a spot of moral pressure will be applied by Lancs! Erm

Or perhaps Essex will know better than to be so stupid a second time! Very Happy

Good day, folks - just returned home and catching up - I assume we lost some play this morning? Things seem to have gone as well for us as realistically hoped so far today. 5th batting point and a score north of 400, 1st bowling point and 3 wickets already.

Jumping ahead, if we get the chance to enforce the follow on, there's so little time left we'll have to take it - but golly the Curran boys will be cream crackered tomorrow night!

A bowl for the Baron this afternoon, I reckon.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

Northants all out 110.  Tom Curran 7 - 35! clap clap clap clap  Sam Curran 3 - 46.  If Tom is not Surrey's player of the season I want to know why not!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm

Brilliant performances by the Currans! How come they're not in any of the England squads? Presumably they're nationalised Brits?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:42 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Brilliant performances by the Currans! How come they're not in any of the England squads? Presumably they're nationalised Brits?

Sam -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/34348952

Tom is out of luck so far presumably because the ECB doubt he would get a visa for anywhere outside the EU with that haircut. I don't blame them.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:50 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Brilliant performances by the Currans! How come they're not in any of the England squads? Presumably they're nationalised Brits?

Stewie has been spitting feathers that neither of them - particularly Tom - are in.

Sam is definitely qualified - born and largely brought up here.

Tom was born in Zimbabwe and had to complete a residential qualifying period. There's been some dispute about when that is completed but the general view seems to be that it's this month or next.

I believe there's another England Lions squad (the current squad is geared to t20s) to be announced later this year and Tom, at least, may be in that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:17 pm

afternoon chaps Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:24 pm

Good afternoon, JimBob.

For entirely selfish reasons, I'm not too worried about Northants getting a few runs and not losing too many wickets now - I'm hoping to get along tomorrow. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Jumping ahead, if we get the chance to enforce the follow on, there's so little time left we'll have to take it - but golly the Curran boys will be cream crackered tomorrow night!

A bowl for the Baron this afternoon, I reckon.

Guildford spot on, as he very often is!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:34 pm

It's gone 1630 and cricinfo claims there's another 30 overs to be bowled.  They'll be lucky to get more than about half that number.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Sep 2015, 5:02 pm

A brilliant days play from Surrey securing full batting and bowling points.

A shame not too have a few more out by now, but still a strong position we find ourselves in
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

Need Simon to check this Wink but my understanding (thanks to BBC and wallpaper sites) is that:
EVEN IF WE ONLY DRAW
THEN FOR LANCS TO WIN DIV TWO
LANCS NOT ONLY NEED TO WIN BUT STILL NEED TO SCORE 300 IN THEIR FIRST INNINGS AND GET 3 BATTING POINTS (TO ADD TO THEIR 3 BOWLING POINTS).

That's really good news as it goes a long way to knocking on the head any chance of a contrived result at Chelmsford. I just can't see there being enough time left in that game for Essex to agree to any deal bowling last.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 24 Sep 2015, 5:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Need Simon to check this Wink but my understanding (thanks to BBC and wallpaper sites) is that:
EVEN IF WE ONLY DRAW
LANCS NOT ONLY NEED TO WIN BUT STILL NEED TO SCORE 300 IN THEIR FIRST INNINGS AND GET 3 BATTING POINTS (TO ADD TO THEIR 3 BOWLING POINTS).

That's really good news as it goes a long way to knocking on the head any chance of a contrived result at Chelmsford. I just can't see there being enough time left in that game for Essex to agree to any deal bowling last.

Yup, I think that's right, guildford. Barring any last day collapses by Surrey in the wake of a quick and massive Northants total and declaration (I know, I know), we would pick up 13 points from a draw. Together with our eight point lead coming in to the final round of games, Lancs would need 22 points: ie 3 bowling (check), 3 batting - a further 169 runs; and 16 points for a win. You'd probably get similar odds on that happeneing right now as you would have, for example, last Saturday morning on Japan beating S Africa in the Rugby World Cup.

Looking very good for us but, in sport, never say never.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2015, 5:45 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Need Simon to check this Wink but my understanding (thanks to BBC and wallpaper sites) is that:
EVEN IF WE ONLY DRAW

Yup, I think that's right, guildford. Barring any last day collapses by Surrey in the wake of a quick and massive Northants total and declaration (I know, I know), we would pick up 13 points from a draw. Together with our eight point lead coming in to the final round of games, Lancs would need 22 points: ie 3 bowling (check), 3 batting - a further 169 runs; and 16 points for a win. You'd probably get similar odds on that happeneing right now as you would have, for example, last Saturday morning on Japan beating S Africa in the Rugby World Cup.

Looking very good for us but, in sport, never say never.

Simon - thanks and, btw, I didn't. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:04 pm

Good news for you GB that Northants have mounted a really good,2nd innings riposte...I was a bit worried earlier that Gareth Batty's jumble sale plus the free admission tomorrow afternoon might have turned out to have been a bit of a disaster with the match having finished today!! Now it looks like there could be quite a good day's cricket...with the possibility of some sort of run chase later in the day...another superb performance today....I'd loved to have been able to pop up tomorrow to see the last day's play of the domestic season, but duties call down here...hope you enjoy the day...interesting developments in the Div 1 relegation battle .....fantastic performance by Hants....Sussex won't be sleeping easily in their beds tonight Yahoo

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm

This is the reason I'm never a huge fan of enforcing the follow on - I always think if the weather is set fair going ahead, you should bat again, pummel them into the dirt and give your bowlers a rest.

Always think the 3rd innings is quite a good time to bat, and wouldn't often want to give that up.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm

awful bowling mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:44 pm

Olly wrote:This is the reason I'm never a huge fan of enforcing the follow on - I always think if the weather is set fair going ahead, you should bat again, pummel them into the dirt and give your bowlers a rest.

Always think the 3rd innings is quite a good time to bat, and wouldn't often want to give that up.

Puts on a Fred Trueman voice -
''They'll have six months to rest after tomorrow night.'' Smile

I was happy enough with the decision and would have done the same (especially at this stage of the season and given the importance of ensuring defeat is avoided) but can understand the alternative view.

Name drop time Wink - I sat next to Micky Stewart (Alec's dad and still bright as a button) at a seconds game last year at the Guildford ground and we had a brief chat about enforcing the follow on. Stewie senior was a Surrey stalwart for about 20 years from the 1950s, captained the side and played a few Tests (as well as playing football for Charlton Athletic!). You'll probably consider it to his credit and my shame that, despite him being a generation older, I was more of a traditionalist on the subject! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:49 pm

I think we can safely conclude that Surrey are Div 2 champions RedWine  of more interest to me now is whether we will be playing Sussex or Hampshire next season? Yahoo

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:44 pm

I see that in the Div 2 batting averages Sam Curran is only a whisker behind Sanga. (47.83 / 47.80)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 25 Sep 2015, 7:51 am

After Northants brilliant rally last evening, Lancs probably slept better last night. They have one clear plan only: rattle up to 300 asap, declare, skittle Essex and win and hope we don't win. Not easy, but clear.

For us the situation is much more blurred: a draw probably would do it and Northants are still behind. But I would not counting chickens if, by just before tea, Lancs look to be well on their way to achieving what they need, and we dismiss Northants but end up needing 200 or so at 5 an over: our most recent experience of an apparently not too demanding run chase was not a happy one.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:44 am

Currans resume normal service, taking three wickets in two overs. clap clap clap  228 - 4.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:49 am

unbelievable start for Surrey.... Hope GB is there in time to see this... could all be over by lunchtime... I think they might need to bring forward the start time for Gareth Batty's jumble sale Very Happy

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

10 wkts in the match for tom clap clap clap notworthy notworthy notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

Meanwhile, Lancs have just hit 36 runs in two overs. Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

Currans currently on course for all 20 wickets
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:13 am

first batting point for lancs Yikes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next