The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+37
sirfredperry
spencerclarke
Lowlandbrit
Mat
Trebs
JamesLincs
socal1976
Corporalhumblebucket
CFCNick
Holymiky
Crimey
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Nico the gman
compelling and rich
TRUSSMAN66
lfc91
Alistair
Liam
owen10ozzy
Atila
Jermaine2015
Hero
LivinginItaly
hampo17
guildfordbat
Ent
Fernando
FIFA Diva
Marky
kingraf
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Hammersmith harrier
41 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 19 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Guest Sat 03 Oct 2015, 4:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

that's the golden boot wrapped up

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 19 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Hero Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:03 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Hero wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Hero wrote:Can all those stating Firmino didn't look the business after 20 mins of football now step forward?

That half a good game has shown the world he is what every hipster said he'd be

He also played very well in the games v Bournemouth and Chelsea, pretty much since Klopp took over he's been gaining form.

Not a dead Chelsea and a league cup game against Bournemouth! I don't really think anyone wrote him off, but one most wonder why you are talking Firmino improving and not someone like Moreno Wink #hipster

There were a number of people on here staring after 2 sub appearances that he wasn't suited to the Premier League, Moreno though has been excellent.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 19 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:42 pm

LiamB wrote:
Hero wrote:Robbie Fowler had 60 at the age of 20.

and? what does that prove about Lukaku? Fowler hit the ground running at Liverpool, had three or four quality seasons, then he faded quite significantly. Lukaku has the type of game, whereby he could play right into mid 30's & still be effective. By his late twenties, Fowler was a spent force.

Fowler was in a different league...arguably the best goalscorer to ever play for Liverpool. Without his serious injuries he would have overtaken shearer's premier league record. I think that people often forget how good he was due to his post-injury career coupled with the emergence of Owen. Most Liverpool fans will tell you Fowler was in a different class to Owen, who most would agree is in a different class to Lukaku.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

Most Liverpool fans suffer from having the scouse vision on their players. 

Pinball and in for Kane

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:34 pm

2-0 and game over

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:39 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Most Liverpool fans suffer from having the scouse vision on their players. 

Pinball and in for Kane

I certainly don't suffer from Scouse vision but Fowler was utter class prior to his injuries, such a natural predator in the box.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:46 pm

It's a bit of the "King would have been the best English centre back ever if he wasn't so injury prone" though isn't it? You can't judge a player on how his career would be if he was at his peak every game

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:07 pm

3-0 Kane, awful keeping.

Shame seeing WHU like this, without Payet & watching Carroll up top.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:18 pm

Kane despite being bang average suddenly finds himself on 8 goals in 13 games this season.

Fowler gets a free ride because of his injuries in my opinion, he was never at the level Owen would go on to achieve and being one ray of light in an otherwise poor Liverpool team gets severely over rated.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:23 pm

That one season wonder seems to hanging around into a 2nd season.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:28 pm

Kane's had two very fortuitous goals this afternoon against an absolutely hopeless defence.

He's no Jamie Vardy.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:33 pm

Just played awfully today. Game plan blown by the pinball goal, but we've not deserved to be in the game since. And we barely have been.

I like Carroll, hes a perfectly good player and a great sub, but he doesnt fit in this side from the start. The best we've been over the past two years was with movement and speed up top. Although hes Messi compared to f'ing Jelavic.

No Payet and then not having an option like Valencia is just cutting a lot of our potential off, and then when things turn to s*** we have nothing to pull us out of it.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:35 pm

The only bonus is that Song can have a run out for some fitness and he'll probably have to play next week with Obiang injured and Noble suspended.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:40 pm

Look at them, absolutely not bothering. Game has gone and there's no pride.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:48 pm

West Ham just soundly outclassed by an ascending Spurs team.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:52 pm

Ashamed of a lot of that. The luck broke the plan, but the third and fourth goal were just idiotic and we didn't make them earn it.

Carroll playing and no Payet made it hard against a good Spurs side that certainly wouldn't just let us counter-attack as they work so hard, but I don't feel like we made them beat us, and that is always embarrassing.

I would expect us to struggle against Tony Thrillhouse Pulis' tactics too. They won't be naive and leave counter attacking holes, and we've only one player at the moment who can create, and Lanzini can't do it alone.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:12 pm

Yeah, I'm very happy with WHU up next, think we can win that one, given the momentum & confidence the Arsenal trouncing would have given the squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:41 pm

Styles clash in certain games and I think you'll do to us what we did a few times to Swansea under Allardyce.

I have Tottenham down for top four over Liverpool, who I don't think have the grit that Spurs have to their play. Dembele back to his old self is a huge bonus.

In depressing news, seems two West Ham fans were stabbed before the game, with one in critical care. News that one of the two is a 14 year old lad. No class sometimes some people, a week after all that stuff in Paris you'd think there would be some easing down of that Billy big bollox stuff.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 10:42 pm

Not sure if it's been said, but further bad news for Arsenal, after the humiliating defeat to WBA, is that Francis Coquelin will be out for around 3 months.

Top 4, for me

Man C (I know Liverpool caught them on a bad day, but I still think Aguero & Silva will fire them to the title)
Man U (Too consistent in hoovering up points, tight defence, just lack the firepower to kill off games, like City will have down the stretch)
Arsenal (Same old Arsenal, injuries will hit, players will go missing, but they make top 4, as they always do)
Tottenham (Pochettino is a top manager, they're no pushovers this year, have the energy, hunger & desire to finally break the top 4. Genuinely think they might finally be able to say, Gareth who?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:39 pm

I don't see Spurs making it the way they play will be hard to keep up over a full season can see Liverpool,Everton or Southampton pinching it.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:40 pm

Harry Kane continuing to keep the haters hating! What a player.

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Oh no one would miss you if I did bite)

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 23 Nov 2015, 1:19 pm

Didn't quite think that heading into the last weekend of November would see a 1st v 2nd clash of Leicester v Man Utd.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Nov 2015, 1:24 pm

Leicester will feel the pressure soon

As for Kane, if you'll actually watch him, he misses so many chances, pretty wasteful. He's in a confident team, that provides him with ten chances a game, for England, we get one chance, so you can already see how he will fare at a major tournament, bit like Sturrridge at the WC.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 23 Nov 2015, 2:39 pm

Finally, some good MOTD analysis about the dangers of playing it around at the back (the Spurs-WHU match). Sides think they are Barcelona and confuse possession with penetration. They don't seem to realise you're allowed to kick the ball more than 10 yards. Sometimes if you're being closed down, just launch it.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 23 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm

Felt sorry for West Ham yesterday. The loss of Payet has meant they've resorted to hitting the long ball to Andy Carroll.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Mon 23 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm

Not sure what sort of pressure Leicester will be feeling. You'd imagine their main goal this season was to avoid relegation, I can't see anyone getting carried away there.

I've seen Kane a good few times this season and to me he has been more unlucky than wasteful with his chances. Seems that luck has turned now. Also feel his overall game is pretty good when I've seen him, not just a goalscorer. Not sure what it is that people have against him, sure, he may not be the greatest striker of all time, don't think anyone is saying that though. But lets get behind a really promising English talent.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:05 pm

MIG

Agree with both your points:

Leicester - are not looking at top 4 as a realistic objective. Playing well and with high confidence though should see them reach their first target (38 to 40 points, to avoid relegation) by the start of the New Year. After that, everything is a bonus.

Kane - Plays pretty well with his back to goal, doesn't mind possession and hits the target frequently. Not at the same level yet, but I can see elements of Alan Shearer in his game. As with all goal scorers, confidence plays a big part in how successful he is.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 23 Nov 2015, 5:17 pm

LiamB wrote:Not sure if it's been said, but further bad news for Arsenal, after the humiliating defeat to WBA, is that Francis Coquelin will be out for around 3 months.

Top 4, for me

Man C (I know Liverpool caught them on a bad day, but I still think Aguero & Silva will fire them to the title)
Man U (Too consistent in hoovering up points, tight defence, just lack the firepower to kill off games, like City will have down the stretch)
Arsenal (Same old Arsenal, injuries will hit, players will go missing, but they make top 4, as they always do)
Tottenham (Pochettino is a top manager, they're no pushovers this year, have the energy, hunger & desire to finally break the top 4. Genuinely think they might finally be able to say, Gareth who?

Coquelin out, with no viable replacement except the over-the-hill (and frequently injured) Arteta and Flamini? What a shock! Who could have seen this coming?

Once again, Wenger's hubris is highlighted. Much as I admire him for what he's achieved, and for his principles, Wenger's arrogance will always be his downfall. As you say, they'll still finish top 4, but how can a team with such an appalling injury record keep working on the hope that key players will stay fit?

As an outside bet, I reckon Spurs could finish above Arsenal this year, particularly if they sign well in January.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:12 pm

Its weird, but Arsenal fans might be hoping Coquelin is at least 3 months rather than the possible 2. Cos it might make Wenger buy in January.

I think Tottenham are as good a side as any manager of theirs has made them in my lifetime. Not because their quality in individual is at its top, but because they play together as an entity and can bring players in and out to carry that on. The issue would be if Kane gets injured, but they showed when Eriksen was out that they can grind things out too.

Liverpool have their games and their moments, but I don't think they're as good a team as Spurs. I think Liverpool will tear more teams apart than Spurs, but will lose more games. Thats at this moment, and Liverpool might go from strength to strength, but I knew Spurs would likely do that to us, I still think the vulnerabilities are there that we could beat Liverpool again.

Kane - his touch isn't always good enough but he played his way into form by simplifying his game and hitting through the ball. He's now scoring goals again. The intangible, hard to describe attribute of "goalscoring". Some players just don't look like great footballers, but they score a lot of goals.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 23 Nov 2015, 9:38 pm

Palace 0-1 Sunderland - Jermain Defoe

Scott Dann tried to usher it back no idea why was too far out and Defoe pinched it & rounded the keeper.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 23 Nov 2015, 9:39 pm

Brilliant defending Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 23 Nov 2015, 9:40 pm

Ffs palace
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 23 Nov 2015, 9:54 pm

FT Palace 0-1 Sunderland

Sunderland up to 18th above Bournemouth & Villa

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Nov 2015, 10:05 pm

sums up palace, cant unlock any team that sits deep & doesn't allow them to counter. shocking from dann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Nov 2015, 10:29 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Calls for cutting the losses with McLaren at Newcastle and bringing in Moyes or Brendan or ...

Some are saying Newcastle have good players but they are not playing as a unit.  This match and last match.  I reckon Sam Allardyce will turn around the fortunes of Sunderland (just), I think Remi Garde will improve Aston Villa (but think they will probably be relegated).  I think Newcastle have too many good players to be relegated but I am not sure about former England manager McLaren.
Indeed, Allardyce's a safe pair of hands to steer the woeful Sunderland to safety.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 23 Nov 2015, 10:39 pm

Allardyce'd. However, they have been shocking in every game except one since Allardyce took over. Dont think it'll be anyone outside of the bottom 5 we have now.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Nov 2015, 10:46 pm

Pretty much lost patience with the wally with the brolly now. Just hasn't clicked, I forgave him for strangely leaving out Perez for two months & was willing him to turn it around, but he's still looking clueless. Good coach, awful manager. Tactically just terrible & moving Wijnaldum so deep after Tiote got injured was painful viewing. Hasn't helped Thauvin has been worse than Cabella, but can't blame that totally on him, that's Carr, who's still living off finding Cabaye.

Depressing times, especially given the Sunderland result, which brings them back towards us. Definitely between Villa, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Norwich & Newcastle. Watford might eventually be pulled into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:01 pm

Keep the faith john boy.

Would say at this stage, between 3 out of the 6 you mentioned.

Im still going for the 3 that came up to go back down.

As far as Villa concerned, i still think we will survive.
Yes we have only got 5 points.
25 games to go, a window, where we may/may not sign fk all.

Bottom line, untill its mathematically impossible to stay up then im keeping the faith, because if i dont, than in all seriousness whats the point in the next 7 months.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:04 am

Bournemouth look out of their depth tbh. Be surprised if there's a year two in the PL.

Norwich look like a team of good championship players. Not enough have stepped up to PL level so far.

Villa are in trouble I think. Might be the year when the bottom falls out.

Newcastle similar, but they have a better squad than Villa.

Suspect Allardyce, like Pulis will keep Sunderland up despite a sub par squad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:09 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Its weird, but Arsenal fans might be hoping Coquelin is at least 3 months rather than the possible 2. Cos it might make Wenger buy in January.

I don't know about that. I don't think Arsenal are in any place to be hoping for elongated injury absences. I also don't think it would encourage Wenger to spend (unless there is value). I genuinely think he's that obstinate - and no doubt he can point to a variety of crocks and out-of-position youngsters who can fill the breach.

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
I think Tottenham are as good a side as any manager of theirs has made them in my lifetime. Not because their quality in individual is at its top, but because they play together as an entity and can bring players in and out to carry that on.

That I do agree with. There's no Gazza, Hoddle, Modric or Ginola, but they do have some fine young talents in there. And Ericsson provides enough of the magic. And their squad seems quite deep at the moment. Pochettino's done an excellent job in building on what was already there. He has an excellent record for bringing through young players, and seems to like English players too. I'd be really keen to see Berahino go there in January.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Nov 2015, 1:34 pm

Training ground bust up between McClaren & some key players, reported to be Sissoko & Coloccini. Hardly surprising. The Leicester game provided evidence they weren't playing for him, so lose to Palace & it might accelerate his departure. Also heavily rumoured, is that we will secure Andros Townsend on loan in January. Only positive is that he will give everything for us to get into the England squad & as its a loan, not a bad move for both parties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 26 Nov 2015, 9:36 pm

James Wilson joins Brighton on loan from United.

Down to Martial/Depay & Shrek as forwards now.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 27 Nov 2015, 11:39 pm

No genuine forwards at the club now.

Personally I'd drop Rooney and play wilson.

Never seen Rooney worse, give someone else a go- someone that can run as a minimum.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2015, 12:06 am

Ent wrote:No genuine forwards at the club now.

Personally I'd drop Rooney and play wilson.

Never seen Rooney worse, give someone else a go- someone that can run as a minimum.

good luck with that, seeing as he's now at Brighton

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 28 Nov 2015, 2:03 am

Aye start him instead of sending him on loan....

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 28 Nov 2015, 1:47 pm

Is he any good?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:09 pm

Citeh 1-0 Southampton - KDB

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:09 pm

Cisse puts the toon 1 up

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:12 pm

Papiss 1-0. Lovely

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:14 pm

Not for long eh

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:14 pm

1-1 typical Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next